Anyone HPDE or AutoX a TL 6spd yet?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 06:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone HPDE or AutoX a TL 6spd yet?

I skimmed the topics and have watched this forum for a few weeks and I don't remember anyone reporting how the 6spd TL handles on a track or autocross course?

Understeer, Oversteer?

How well the LSD compensates?

How do the summer tires handle the situation?

How are the brakes?

Can the stock pads handle track speeds?

Is the ABS intrusive?

TIA

Anton
Old 06-03-2005, 06:52 PM
6MT & LSD

i know TSX'ers autox a lot, but haven't heard of any TL drivers doing that... just drag stips, if that. but here's my experience from dicking around in an empty parking lot with buncha light poles & "islands."

steering is not bad at low speeds, but at 30+mph, there's a threshold where it instantly becomes too darty, going from normal/slight understeer to oversteer...

I have yet to actually feel the LSD at work...

the brembos are sweeeet, until the ABS decides to kick in after hitting a slight bump. i wish i could turn it off.

i doubt the stock pads can handle the abuse at the track... not to mention the fluid & the brake lines...

there's a lot of body roll, too.

this is NOT the car to go autox in... unless it's for an occasional thing for a day of fun.

my brother just went to a track last week in his 2G TL... he claims his car held up fairly well, and this is what he has: 18" light weight wheels w/ toyo t1s and tein ss w/ edfc as far as suspension goes. now, the 3G's chassis is stiffer than the 2G, so it could do fairly well, but it will certainly cost you & will have its limits.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:06 PM
Instructor

I have had some luck with the TL
http://www.panamscca.org/solo_results.htm
Old 06-03-2005, 07:20 PM
6MT & LSD

Originally Posted by Burgman
nice! your car looks stock... possibly a drop... care to share the specs??

i would appreciate it if you'd take the time to respond to the above questions!
Old 06-03-2005, 07:39 PM
Intermediate

Well that tells me something good.

Wow, 65.xxx seconds? Lemme guess Abandoned airfield used by B52's during the cold war?

We're lucky if our courses get between 45 to 50 seconds out here in the Tri-state area NY, NJ &CT

I already have a dedicated track car, but I'd autocross and or track just about anything I owned and was curious with results for something like the TL with upgraded brakes and summer tires and LSD and that yummy looking 6spd.

I'd hate to have to look around more, I recently convinced the wife of the TL after she finally sat in it at the NY auto show.

How about anyone with the Aspec suspension upgrade?

And why for the life of Christ would everyone be 1/4 mile dragging the TL? Makes less sense to me to do that than track/X it.

Thanks for the info gents
Old 06-03-2005, 08:02 PM
Pro

That is great! The field looks pretty solid (Evos, Z06's, S2000's, WRX) and you are the tops. http://www.panamscca.org/forms/5-22-05_pax.htm

Is your car modified at all?
Old 06-03-2005, 08:05 PM
Pro

Here's another one...https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=autox
Old 06-03-2005, 08:21 PM
Instructor

Car is a stock 6-speed except for the Kuhmo autocross tires. I used to own/race a 2000 VW GTI VR6 and did fairly well with the car. I kept the GTI when I got the TL because I thought I would need the VW for racing. I took the TL to one of the autocrosses last year and the Acura with stock HPTs was over three seconds faster than the GTI with race tires. The limmited-slip differential, sophisticated suspension, and extra power compinsates for the extra 500 pounds the TL is over the GTI. The car pulls much harder out of the corners than the GTI. I sold the un-needed GTI last fall and baught a set of race tires for this season. I have the 18" a-spec rims with Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires for normal use.
We race at the baseball stadium parking lot in El Paso. Someone told me that it is the largest autocross track in the southwest.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:27 PM
6MT & LSD

I sold the un-needed GTI last fall and baught a set of race tires for this season.

i've heard about the poor resale values of VWs...
Old 06-03-2005, 08:33 PM
Instructor

The resale value was very good with the VW; I baught some very exspensive race tires
Old 06-03-2005, 08:36 PM
Intermediate

We race at the baseball stadium parking lot in El Paso. Someone told me that it is the largest autocross track in the southwest.
By the times, it looks even bigger than nationals.

Ok so let's talk the brakes for a second.

Just how much truth is the stories posted here to the ABS being intrusive and or jittery?

I'm guessing if that's over bumps, it's to be expected to an extent. Jeez any car on bumpy surfaces with ABS will have some issues. I tend to think these complaints about the ABS are a bit unfounded.

Ya wanna talk a car with crappy ABS, the WRX is your bucket. I actually deactivated it just to get the least bit of rotation and some decent times.

What's your opinion?

Another hypothesis about the ABS possible sensitivity; are these complaints while the stability control is on or off?

And on the topic of the VSS, have you timed yourself back to back with it on and off?

thnx again

PS, which tires are you using for autocross? I run V700's for TT and HPDE's but mainly Azenis 215's or what's left of them for X since I like to just arrive and drive now.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:37 PM
Instructor

The track is big. I normaly carry a hand-held GPS when I walk the track and the course is normaly .7 to 1 mile long. I use the Victoracer V700. The ABS has not been a problem on the TL but I can remember it being intrusive on the GTI. The ABS motor activates much quicker on the TL thus allowing them to work better. I once thought about leaving the VSS on to see if the stability control could help me through the corners better but the VSS is too intrusive on the power when the wheels start to slip; less power is definitly not what you want when you are powering out of corners. I might try running a lap with VSS off after I am confident I have some solid lap-times in. The only problem is you always feel that you can do better when lining up for the last run.
Old 06-04-2005, 09:44 PM
Intermediate

The track is big. I normaly carry a hand-held GPS when I walk the track and the course is normaly .7 to 1 mile long. I use the Victoracer V700. The ABS has not been a problem on the TL but I can remember it being intrusive on the GTI. The ABS motor activates much quicker on the TL thus allowing them to work better. I once thought about leaving the VSS on to see if the stability control could help me through the corners better but the VSS is too intrusive on the power when the wheels start to slip; less power is definitly not what you want when you are powering out of corners. I might try running a lap with VSS off after I am confident I have some solid lap-times in. The only problem is you always feel that you can do better when lining up for the last run.
Good info, thanks very much for your help.