All of us at the track tonight.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 03:57 AM
Import and Domestic owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All of us at the track tonight.

Me, NitroTiger, and Ryan97812 went to Englishtown tonight. Me and Nitrotiger ran each other and He got me. Nitrotiger 14.002, Me 14.02. Both at 100mph. My times got better the next few runs. The best I managed to pull was 13.82 at 101mph. Well my title of the fastest time slip was taken and I expected last night Ryan97812 pulled a 13.68. We realized the water/meth was running two rich. I would pull my car in Ice everything down and when it sprayed in the cold motor it was reading two cold and dumping more fuel. As far as the water injection kit, it shines on everyday driving. Especially on hot temp days. When I disconnected the wire on the injection kit and ran back to back I went from a 13.82 to a 14.7 because of it gettting too hot. I think Im done beating this car for a while. I know what it runs and I am excited. Im doin the cold air intake mod this week because the comptech icebox is pretty restricted.
Old 05-20-2006, 06:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
WHen did you install the water inject kit? Any pics?
Old 05-20-2006, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by invincible569
WHen did you install the water inject kit? Any pics?

Sorry, I found it.

Anyhow, Why is it that Nitrotiger is keeping up with you when he doesnt have a Supercharger?
Old 05-20-2006, 09:28 AM
Pro

did you guys get to do any highway runs?
Old 05-20-2006, 09:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
Originally Posted by invicible569
Sorry, I found it.

Anyhow, Why is it that Nitrotiger is keeping up with you when he doesnt have a Supercharger?
Nitro has a 6MT.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by F23A4
Nitro has a 6MT.
Nitro has a hidden bottle of NOS. JK LOL. His car is quick, I feel for him 14.002, 14.003, he needs a clutch. I just finished doing the AEM intake custom mod. The sound of the whistle from the blower is awesome.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by againstallodds1
Nitro has a hidden bottle of NOS. JK LOL. His car is quick, I feel for him 14.002, 14.003, he needs a clutch. I just finished doing the AEM intake custom mod. The sound of the whistle from the blower is awesome.
Thats what I wanted to hear! Does it whistle at idle now?
Old 05-20-2006, 10:03 AM

Thats what I wanted to hear! Does it whistle at idle now?
Not at idle but at 2500 rpms you hear it, and at 4k it winds and screams. People all over the highway will turn around and look at you.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:33 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What did you do to the AEM intake? I am very interested.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by dan.....k
What did you do to the AEM intake? I am very interested.
I took the comptech intake out, fiberglass box and everything. I cut a nice amount off the intake so it will fit with a 90 degree elbow attachment, then I put it together and got a longer breather hose. I had to put it on the opposite way from before. Meening the IAT part on the intake is attached to the filter and where I cut it is attached to the coupler. Sounds harder than it is.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

I took the comptech intake out, fiberglass box and everything. I cut a nice amount off the intake so it will fit with a 90 degree elbow attachment, then I put it together and got a longer breather hose. I had to put it on the opposite way from before. Meening the IAT part on the intake is attached to the filter and where I cut it is attached to the coupler. Sounds harder than it is.
when you say comptech intake out, you mean the icebox? When did they make the icebox for the 3rd G TL?
Old 05-20-2006, 11:50 AM

Not at idle but at 2500 rpms you hear it, and at 4k it winds and screams. People all over the highway will turn around and look at you.
maybe the icebox was more restricted. Seems like your car sucks up more air freely now?
Old 05-20-2006, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Laxplaya11385
when you say comptech intake out, you mean the icebox? When did they make the icebox for the 3rd G TL?
It only comes with the supercharger for now. Its not good though. It is restricted, if you look at the amount of room that the air has to flow through it is small. It goes through a small bend from the filter to the tb.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:10 PM
JDM Laser Fogs!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Im very surprised
Old 05-20-2006, 05:33 PM

Look I have only had this on for a few hours. I did the CAI mod, fit my AEM CAI on to the supercharger and I havent felt any surging since. I tried to get it to surge and I really cant. Maybe its just one of those days that the car doesnt want to do it but I dont feel it. Ill wait for Accuratein to chime in and see if he is experiencing the same thing.
Old 05-20-2006, 06:05 PM
321 whp SAE

take a picture if you can.. how does it look.. do you have white pvc for the bend? hmmm how far down did you actually put the filter.. i was always worried about mine being low considering the drop i have.. would be something i would consider.. always looking to change things
Old 05-20-2006, 06:21 PM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,336 Posts
My car still surges with the cold air intake mod...

When I spoke to Shad about this modification, his response was they got more airflow with their design...

I tend to disagree!...what do you think about the intake againstallodds? It's definitely louder than the supplied icebox. I bet yours is louder because your design utilizes a metal elbow as opposed to my rubber elbow.

....post up some pictures im curious to see what yours looks like.
Old 05-21-2006, 07:12 AM

I jinks myself. I got the surge last night, but I dont think it is anywhere as bas as it used to be. As far as the coupler it is plastic, bendable. Ill get some drive by's from my girl with the the camera today or tomorrow along with some pics of it. I also talked to a friend of mine last night and he will be porting my intake manifold, we are going to try to squeeze another 5hp out of it. Now since there isnt much more we can do for power, its time to start some crazy weight reduction. Some will think I am stupid for doing this to a luxury car, Accuratein you know what Im thinking, Im right there with you. I seen in another post that someone ripped you apart for removing some weight, Hey Im trying to get a fast ass, NICE ACURA, at the same time.
Old 05-21-2006, 08:08 AM
321 whp SAE

I jinks myself. I got the surge last night, but I dont think it is anywhere as bas as it used to be. As far as the coupler it is plastic, bendable. Ill get some drive by's from my girl with the the camera today or tomorrow along with some pics of it. I also talked to a friend of mine last night and he will be porting my intake manifold, we are going to try to squeeze another 5hp out of it. Now since there isnt much more we can do for power, its time to start some crazy weight reduction. Some will think I am stupid for doing this to a luxury car, Accuratein you know what Im thinking, Im right there with you. I seen in another post that someone ripped you apart for removing some weight, Hey Im trying to get a fast ass, NICE ACURA, at the same time.
i'm with you on that weight reduction.. hmmm heated racing seats?
Old 05-21-2006, 09:41 AM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,336 Posts
Hell yeah...i dont see the TL as a luxury car. I see it as a front wheel drive racecar hehe.

I should have taken a picture of the car when i had the back seats and trunk components out.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by ACCURATEin
Hell yeah...i dont see the TL as a luxury car. I see it as a front wheel drive racecar hehe.

I should have taken a picture of the car when i had the back seats and trunk components out.
Once you put the blower in the car, for me its just like saying goodbye to the luxury and hello to the racing sedan. Now I got to get this car weighin like 3k and it will be all good. CF hood, 17 lbs rims, cement under the carpet all around the interior(used for road noise) has to come up, the doors weigh a lot (something has to be done to that), a carbon fiber trunk will be a waste because our trunk is pretty light. Back seats out with some carpet laid down for a clean look. Sparco seats.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:10 AM

againstallodds, what size wheels do you have? nitroger has 19's right?
Old 05-21-2006, 10:28 AM

againstallodds, what size wheels do you have? nitroger has 19's right?
I have the Aspec 18" I think they weight like 26lbs each, Nitro has volks that weigh 17lbs and are 19". His car is quick!!!! I get him off the line, mid weigh he pulls on me then at the trap I catch up. My car is very inconsistant well I ran it without the water/methanol that night except one run, because it was the nut holding the jet came somewhat loose and I had to tight it back up, also I had to turn the pump down, shooting to much. Without the water methanol I ran almost back to back I ran a 13.82 then right after I ran a 14.7 doing nothing different. Just heat soaked.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:34 AM

Once you put the blower in the car, for me its just like saying goodbye to the luxury and hello to the racing sedan. Now I got to get this car weighin like 3k and it will be all good. CF hood, 17 lbs rims, cement under the carpet all around the interior(used for road noise) has to come up, the doors weigh a lot (something has to be done to that), a carbon fiber trunk will be a waste because our trunk is pretty light. Back seats out with some carpet laid down for a clean look. Sparco seats.
just a review from the Honda R&D's in case you missed anything:

"The team had only ninety days to prepare a stock TL to NASA Honda Challenge specifications. While the engine, drivetrain and brake system remained stock, the team augmented the TL's 3.2 liter V6 with a cold air intake, and a custom exhaust header from Prototype Racing. A large diameter exhaust, a lightweight flywheel and a performance clutch were provided by Comptech USA. The suspension was modified with custom H&R coil-overs, a Progress adjustable rear sway bar and adjustable SPC camber ball joints and links. Lightweight Enkei racing wheels and Toyo RA-1 race compound tires were used for increased grip. Based on the results of windtunnel testing, an Acura A-SPEC aero kit was applied to lower the coefficient of drag, and a rear wing was added for increased high speed down force. These modifications plus the removal of luxury and convenience features reduced the TL's weight to 2797 pounds (without driver), a 675 pound reduction from the stock TL. "
Old 05-21-2006, 11:48 AM

just a review from the Honda R&D's in case you missed anything:

"The team had only ninety days to prepare a stock TL to NASA Honda Challenge specifications. While the engine, drivetrain and brake system remained stock, the team augmented the TL's 3.2 liter V6 with a cold air intake, and a custom exhaust header from Prototype Racing. A large diameter exhaust, a lightweight flywheel and a performance clutch were provided by Comptech USA. The suspension was modified with custom H&R coil-overs, a Progress adjustable rear sway bar and adjustable SPC camber ball joints and links. Lightweight Enkei racing wheels and Toyo RA-1 race compound tires were used for increased grip. Based on the results of windtunnel testing, an Acura A-SPEC aero kit was applied to lower the coefficient of drag, and a rear wing was added for increased high speed down force. These modifications plus the removal of luxury and convenience features reduced the TL's weight to 2797 pounds (without driver), a 675 pound reduction from the stock TL. "
That is what I need to do. I would like to aim at 3200lbs. No time soon though.
Old 05-21-2006, 01:15 PM

Well one thing this thread has got me thinking is why not wait for the 07 model rumored at 300HP and I can also change to the stick version (I own AT). That way my warranty will still be intact and get the benefits of more power. I can just swap out the wheels and possibly suspension to the new model.

.. this is instead of adding a supercharger at a cost of $5K (labor too).
Old 05-21-2006, 02:05 PM

Well one thing this thread has got me thinking is why not wait for the 07 model rumored at 300HP and I can also change to the stick version (I own AT). That way my warranty will still be intact and get the benefits of more power. I can just swap out the wheels and possibly suspension to the new model.

.. this is instead of adding a supercharger at a cost of $5K (labor too).
Kind of true. Well the fastest 6mt supercharged out there that I know of with a slip is Ryan97812 ran 13.68. I ran 13.751 as my best time. I have a 5at. The difference between our cars are Im auto and I have e-shift procats.
Old 05-21-2006, 02:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
why is an n/a TL keeping up with a blown TL? regardless of a/t vs. m/t, the blown should be making more power. i guess the gearing is really bad in the auto.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
Originally Posted by CleanCL
why is an n/a TL keeping up with a blown TL? regardless of a/t vs. m/t, the blown should be making more power. i guess the gearing is really bad in the auto.
I would tend to agree with your last statement, with regard to the 5AT handcuffing the TL's performance. But , the blown J32A should have higher crank output than an NA with boltons.

It seems that stock 6MTs are capable of mid-low 14s versus the 5ATs mid-low 15s....in the drag racing world, that is a huge difference. So it seems that the blower is largely making up for the loss performance attributable to the auto tranny. (I would need to see more blown AT drag times for a better 'feel' as to the trend.)