AEM vs. K&N Typhoon...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 03:11 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AEM vs. K&N Typhoon...

Yes, I have searched the threads, but I'm not finding the answer I'm looking for, so hopefully someone can help.

I've got an '07 TL-S 5AT (CBM). I want to put a CAI on, but can't decide 100% which one I want. I'm leaning towards the K&N Typhoon kit (red), but there are some concerns I have...

AEM lists their CAI as part# 21-513. This is the same part for both the TL and TL-S, which tells me the routing, mounts, etc are the same. However, K&N only lists one for the TL (69-0021TR). I even emailed K&N, and received a response that they don't have one for the TL-S as of yet (I can tell it was a canned reply).

I have searched the threads, and there are some members running the Typhoon on their TL, but is there anyone on here that tried the Typhoon on their TL-S? My assumption is that it "should" fit on the TL-S. Many people run AEM, and I want to be the few that run the Typhoon. They cost about the same.

Any information on this would be extremely helpful, as I want to order it first thing Monday. I am putting my stock TL-S on the dyno tomorrow, so I can get before/after for the CAI install (whether I go with AEM or K&N). And yes, I'll post the results once I get both pulls completed.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:38 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Can't recall which type s owner tried it but he did state it didn't fit, remember there is a foglight on the type s, might have had problems there
Old 07-27-2008, 11:44 PM
Instructor

I have FUJITA CAI on my 06 TL 6MT
IMO, fujita give u more hps over k&n and aem
on 5AT TLs...it gives u about 17.47 wheel horsepower and 8.04 wheel torque
Old 07-27-2008, 11:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
in a thread I replied in, the Fujita had problems hitting the foglight, the AEM didn't.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:56 AM
Instructor

hmm..ic...I have Fujita CAI, but I've never had a single problem with hitting the foglight...
hitting the foglight....is probably because it didn't installed properly....I guess..
mine works fine though...
Old 07-28-2008, 05:33 AM
Instructor

oh u guys are talkin about 07~08 TL/TL-Ss which have foglights on the bottom unlike 06 like mine..then nvm...since it doesn't fit then get K&N
Old 07-28-2008, 08:25 AM
FizzyStatus!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by xejshinex
I have FUJITA CAI on my 06 TL 6MT
IMO, fujita give u more hps over k&n and aem
on 5AT TLs...it gives u about 17.47 wheel horsepower and 8.04 wheel torque

lol...what...
Old 07-28-2008, 11:52 AM
Race Director

Received 277 Likes on 161 Posts
^^^^ I just laughed very hard and loud....

Get The F*ck Out Of Here with that bullshit...

a CAI? 17 whp? HA! Be lucky if you can spring 1 - 3 hp out of it.

AEM has been proven to provide the most hp gain out of the 3 mentioned...reason? wider pipe.. that's it.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by TeknoKing

AEM has been proven to provide the most hp gain out of the 3 mentioned...reason? wider pipe.. that's it.
Look at the sticky at the top of this forum of AEM CAI and Comptech catback. It's more than 1-3. It's more like 10whp.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:21 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Originally Posted by csmeance
in a thread I replied in, the Fujita had problems hitting the foglight, the AEM didn't.

the fujita's crappy instructions specify to relocate a ground wire to install the vibramount... I didn't do this... alot of folks with the 07-08 and fujita didn't do this, and results in either an unplugged foglight or a bulb outage...

fix... relocate the ground wire and relocate the vibramount to the correct position

the K&N is a risk... similarly as I chatted with fizzle the aem v2 for the av6 is also a risk... if it dont fit your pretty much stuck with it since no one is gonna pay what you paid for an open box item
Old 07-28-2008, 02:36 PM
Banned

yeah i dont think you can get 17 hp out off a cai i have been researching and i can only se getting 10 to 12 out off one. i wanted to get a aem v2 cai but they dont make one for the newer 04 to 06 tl
Old 07-28-2008, 04:53 PM
Instructor

here is the link that says what I said
http://www.f5air.com/images/dyno/ma1...04-05%20tl.GIF
I kno it has foglight hittin probs with 07~08s but I'm sayin it makes pretty good hp on 04~06s
if u juss dunno any shit about CAI maybe u can get the f*ck outta here with 1~3 hp bull shit.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:39 PM
Racer

A dyno graph from Fujita to market their intake system? You have to take those things with a grain of salt.

The "sticky" on this forum is not a very good comparison either in my opinion since it was done on two different days at two different shops. Even on the same dyno at the same shop though, I've always seen +/- a few hp.

Obviously you'll see some gain but I highly doubt anything like 17whp. I also doubt the gain will be anything really noticeable on the butt dyno. But who knows. Maybe Honda just made a horrible stock intake system and the car is just dying for more air (which I doubt too).
Old 07-28-2008, 07:48 PM
Advanced

A cai making 17 whp on an acura?
Old 07-29-2008, 01:04 AM
Intermediate

Update to my "decision"...

Thanks for the good info... it seems from talking to others, and Stillhere, that K&N would definitely list a product if it "fits". There has to be a good reason as to why they don't. After visiting a local performance shop here in ABQ (referred to me by a friend and met the owner), he also notes that for some reason, there aren't that many CAI's and short rams for the Type-S. Well, needless to say, I was the first TL Type-S he has had in his shop (there aren't that many of them in New Mexico), and he is eager to try some things.

He is considering doing a custom short ram for me (although the 06 TL short ram kits will fit). He also started mapping stuff out while the car was on the lift, getting ready for dyno... he was eyeing spots for turbo, etc. He said he's heard people running 5psi on the TL Type-S. For me, I can't justify spending $5k for a custom turbo kit that will only push 5psi. I'm considering exhaust and j-pipe after the intake, but that's about where I'll stop. For those interested, apparently, there is a space under the back seat (under the car) on the passenger side, which he said would be a perfect place for it, having it route back to the front after tapping into the exhaust from the mid-section. It was all a little too much for me, cause I wasn't seeing what he was seeing...

Long story short... I will most likely go with either his custom short ram, or the AEM CAI. I'll know by tomorrow, when he gets me a quote. I'll post a new thread for those interested in what elevation does to performance (my stock dyno results)...
Old 07-29-2008, 02:38 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by aznjeep
Thanks for the good info... it seems from talking to others, and Stillhere, that K&N would definitely list a product if it "fits". There has to be a good reason as to why they don't. After visiting a local performance shop here in ABQ (referred to me by a friend and met the owner), he also notes that for some reason, there aren't that many CAI's and short rams for the Type-S. Well, needless to say, I was the first TL Type-S he has had in his shop (there aren't that many of them in New Mexico), and he is eager to try some things.

He is considering doing a custom short ram for me (although the 06 TL short ram kits will fit). He also started mapping stuff out while the car was on the lift, getting ready for dyno... he was eyeing spots for turbo, etc. He said he's heard people running 5psi on the TL Type-S. For me, I can't justify spending $5k for a custom turbo kit that will only push 5psi. I'm considering exhaust and j-pipe after the intake, but that's about where I'll stop. For those interested, apparently, there is a space under the back seat (under the car) on the passenger side, which he said would be a perfect place for it, having it route back to the front after tapping into the exhaust from the mid-section. It was all a little too much for me, cause I wasn't seeing what he was seeing...

Long story short... I will most likely go with either his custom short ram, or the AEM CAI. I'll know by tomorrow, when he gets me a quote. I'll post a new thread for those interested in what elevation does to performance (my stock dyno results)...
A turbo underneath the car......................?
Old 07-29-2008, 05:04 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Yea squires patented a remote mount turbo... You can put it wherever you want

A lot of guys here say it won't work... Yet the 350z guys are above 400rwhp on these things

As for cai... Nothing wrong with going AEM...
Old 07-29-2008, 08:29 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by xejshinex
if u juss dunno any shit about CAI maybe u can get the f*ck outta here with 1~3 hp bull shit.
I never do this, but you deserve it. Yo, douchebag, DYNO it, then open your ignorant uneducated mouth.

Stupid ass n00b.... 17whp... ha. LoL, why buy a TypeS, just buy a base, and put in a CAI...whoop.... I hope some of you do understand the difference between hp and whp.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:35 AM
Race Director

^ forgot to metion one important factor, you will get such results ONLY if you open up your exhaust...more air coming in, needs more air coming out, so your engine doesn't suffocate, thus producing such a high result at 17WHP.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:10 AM
Instructor

oh I didn't mention it would give u 17 hp on type-s no way..
if u look at the dyno graph it says 05 base tl
I haven't brought my car to the dyno but one of my friends has same 06 TL 6MT as me and he has same greddy evo II and fujita cai like me..
but he did installed greddy first and then cai later..
and he dynoed before install cai and after as well and car cranked average of 17s hp from 3 runs...yea I agree with u the results only if open up exhaust..
I will get the dyno charts from him if i can...

but hey I didn't meant to insult u or anything like that..I kno i'm a noob..
I was juss tellin u guys what I kno so far...sorry for the bad words from my uneducated my mouth..
Old 07-29-2008, 09:14 AM
Race Director

^ Cool, My apologies as well.. I just don't like to be told to get f out

We are a friendly communitiy, so again, I retract my statement challenging your intelligence, as obviously I don't know you to make such random judgement

I play an antagonist, lol I just wouldn't want people to jump on buying CAI thinking they are about to gain so much hp for 200 bux
Old 07-29-2008, 01:44 PM
Instructor

^ you are right..I was juss ignorant..maybe I should ask you guys for advise in future..hehe
here is the link I got from other threads..hope this helps everyone

https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/pioneer-navi-system-174509/

'^ that one is with ATLP exhaust and J-pipe

http://img227.echo.cx/img227/5715/baselinedynob6vp.jpg

http://img258.echo.cx/img258/5590/ttpdynob9ff.jpg

and for these two ^ I belive it's AEM CAI + CT Catback before and after
numbers are pretty impressive...maybe I should post dyno runs too after install
ATLP J-pipe
Old 07-29-2008, 02:14 PM
Race Director

Sounds good, thank you for sharing
Old 07-29-2008, 05:32 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Where has that been proven? A lot of folks advocate for the AEM, cause they wanna feel good about spending that kind of scratch for an aluminum tube and a filter... I'll agree expecting 17 HP from a CAI is nuts...

Allow me to dust off an old post...

From an old thread I posted in years back:

Originally Posted by Kennedy
Dude... seriously. It's an aluminum tube. You are swallowing whole these intake manufacturers marketing hype. There's nothing special about any of them.

Some folks here are lusting after the AEM V2. Gimme a break. It's the same tube, that steps up to a larger tube for the last 18 inches at the filter side. Anyone with any fluid dynamics understanding (or common sense in this case) knows flow is restricted by the smallest diameter presented, and in this case the "throttle body". Making a 5,6,7 inch wide intake will NEVER increase airflow or reduce constriction, as the impedence IS the filter, and the throttle body, not the tube.
The only thing that changes is what frequencies (noises) rosonante, due to the flow changing in the dfferent designs.

All CAI's are louder because you've removed the resonance chamber from the stock intake. Sure, flow is "mildly" different between differnet manufacturers, as the most miniscule difference in tube bend will affect the resonant frequencies of the intake sound.

Most intakes are made out of thin walled aluminum tube, some with powdercoat. Others have argued "insulating" the intake will get even more gains, referencing an old Jeep experiment... again, more special koolaid drinking, and until I see some real empircal data on the TL, it will be just that. The air spends so little time in the tube (especially the short run in the TL), there's little time for heat transfer... even across the tubular surface area of the inner CAI tract.

Keep thinking you've bought a superior product because it costs more... That seems to be the BMW drivers mindset, but the truth of the matter is you could fabricate and equally impressive performing CAI for about $30 with dryer hose and a generic cotton/gauze filter.

Buy what looks good and makes you feel good.
There ain't no difference guys... and the dyno will never prove it because the gains are so little, and the difference will between them will be so small, they will fall in the margin of error of the dyno... They're all the same... tube with a filter on the end.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:46 PM
Race Director

^^^ You are supporting my points...

By proven I meant thru Acuzine members... I'm still running stock.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I have heard that there really is no difference (gains) from stock to CAI.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:54 PM
Instructor

hmm...I felt my car got noticeably faster(not fast, just somewhat faster)...after install CAI(before CAI, mine was stock)....I'm not tryin to advocate mine, but u all make senses....
so I dunno >.<
Old 07-30-2008, 07:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I am not saying that a CAI is a waste of time.. heck, it looks badass and changes the sound as your get on it. I have a CAI on my F-150 and it roars when I put my foot into it.. reminds me of the old spreadbore 4-barrel carbs back in the day.

I'd love to see TRUE airflow calcs on the stock intake tube. It just seems to me, thinking strictly from an engineering POV, that the Acura engineers would not have created a situation where the engine is starved for air. I don't buy into the 17 WHP increase by the CAI mfg's. .. just something to ponder