AEM methanol injection

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 09:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
AEM methanol injection

I have two questions.

One: I installed my methanol injection on the elbow after the cold air intake but before it goes into the blower, is that a good spot?

Two: I am confused on how to use the AEM control box since it is an X. I turned the boost all the way left as far as it could go so it would turn on once I hit boost and turned the max PSI to around 9. It doesn't seem to be working because I installed it about a week ago and it looks like nothing changed in the tank. I hit the test button and heard the pump so I know its hooked up correctly. I am wondering what is wrong or will I not use a lot of meth.

I don't know if this matters but I didn't hook up the LED light yet.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:49 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by AckTL05
I have two questions.

One: I installed my methanol injection on the elbow after the cold air intake but before it goes into the blower, is that a good spot?

Two: I am confused on how to use the AEM control box since it is an X. I turned the boost all the way left as far as it could go so it would turn on once I hit boost and turned the max PSI to around 9. It doesn't seem to be working because I installed it about a week ago and it looks like nothing changed in the tank. I hit the test button and heard the pump so I know its hooked up correctly. I am wondering what is wrong or will I not use a lot of meth.

I don't know if this matters but I didn't hook up the LED light yet.

No, you shouldn't be spraking thru the blower. You want the meth to inject after the blower to cool the air after it is heated, instead of prior to being heated. I would say have the meth turn on at 1 psi and go 100% at 4 psi.

Most people inject it right into the elbow going from the blower to the IM.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:58 PM
Former Sponsor

By having it before the blower it wouldn't cool those temps and make the blower run cooler? I have seen a difference in the blower being cooler to the touch after a run.

Also I should just turn it all the way left till it cant go anymore for the start and all the way left for the max since it starts at 6 psi and it should be fine? I guess by having it stop at 9 its not pushing out a lot? I also have the tinniest spray out of the three, I think I am going to change that to the second one.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:19 PM
runnin a little boost

By having it before the blower it wouldn't cool those temps and make the blower run cooler? I have seen a difference in the blower being cooler to the touch after a run.

Also I should just turn it all the way left till it cant go anymore for the start and all the way left for the max since it starts at 6 psi and it should be fine? I guess by having it stop at 9 its not pushing out a lot? I also have the tinniest spray out of the three, I think I am going to change that to the second one.
It might make the blower run cooler, but the point of the meth injection is to cool the air and the air is hottest right after being commpressed by the blower.
Another concern I have about running the meth/water thru the blower is corrosion of the blower lobes. Straight meth might be ok but the water is not good. I would also think the mixure would atomize better when mixed with the hotter air comming out of the blower. I think spaying water at the TB might not be a good thing either (DBW getting water in the electronics)

On a side note it is good to hear your car is running strong without the meth. Once you get the injection site right you will feel the results. ( once it warms up atleast.) Got to love 30-40 degree weather, I feel like it spins for atleats 1000 feet in 2nd.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:34 PM
Former Sponsor

yeah my mechanic laughed when I even mentioned meth since I am running around 3psi and full 5psi. I dont beat on it but its fun to literally walk on STI'S face = priceless.

I will change it over monday and update the results. BTW i will have to drill into the piping right, cant I slip it into the sleve that connects the blower to TB?
Old 12-05-2009, 10:45 PM
runnin a little boost

yeah my mechanic laughed when I even mentioned meth since I am running around 3psi and full 5psi. I dont beat on it but its fun to literally walk on STI'S face = priceless.

I will change it over monday and update the results. BTW i will have to drill into the piping right, cant I slip it into the sleve that connects the blower to TB?

I have heard of people doing that but, its not a good idea. You need a spot with a good seal. The best idea is to drill it into the elbow with the sprayer facing ( peeing into the wind ) into the air flow or towards the blower. I can send you a pic of some locations I have seen used.

Also since you are making such low boost you need the meth to turn on almost as soon as it sees boost. The TL is either at no boost or full boost, a very quick ramp up of boost so using a small amount is likely.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:24 AM
Former Sponsor

ok send me pictures please. S0574049@monmouth.edu
Old 12-06-2009, 12:41 AM
runnin a little boost

ok send me pictures please. S0574049@monmouth.edu
I shut my laptop down I will send them in the morning. I should have two or three pics.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:10 PM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
like hi-speed said, spraying before the blower is a no-no, however, mounting it on the supercharger elbow is also not a good spot either. the best place to mount the nozzle is right after the blower on the outlet pipe, so you can get the best distribution possible. for a super clean look, take off the blower and mount it underneath the outlet like i did, so it cant be seen

ACKTL05, do you have the HBP installed? if not, the secondary stage is totally useless. i recommend to have the first one set around 2psi, spraying before that and your just wasting it. as for the led light, you need that hooked up!! how else are you going to know if its spraying or not??

BTW, that EMS are you running??

heres where my meth injection nozzle is mounted.

Last edited by 04accordcpe; 12-06-2009 at 02:14 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:16 PM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
^^ where the yellow arrow is, but underneath so its hidden
Old 12-06-2009, 02:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Thanks. I will do this monday. Just to save time, how did you drill it via what drill bit and did you use any type of sealant?
Old 12-07-2009, 12:30 AM
runnin a little boost

Thanks. I will do this monday. Just to save time, how did you drill it via what drill bit and did you use any type of sealant?
I found 1 pic, but it goes into the elbow. I will send it. I like the idea of drilling into either the top or bottom of the output elbow attached to the blower body. The only issue I see is you need to remove that elbow to drill it since all sorts of metal shards will be left inside. I don't know if that Will require you to remove the blower. Putting the spray nossel in that bottom elbow would give the best atomization of the mix but might be hard.

The other option is to do the upper elbow, which is easier but might give you an uneven distribution of the meth water mix, richening some cylinders and leaning out others.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:42 AM
Former Sponsor

what if I put it on the upper elbow but facing towards the airflow not facing down.