add on question

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 10:23 AM
Pineapple of DOOM!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
add on question

Can i get some fun numbers out of an cat back exhaust and intake on my TL while i save up for a Turbo kit? is it worth it?
Old 09-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by Evil_Pineapple
Can i get some fun numbers out of an cat back exhaust and intake on my TL while i save up for a Turbo kit? is it worth it?
Unless you go full 3 inch in preparation for the turbo that may reduce torque while NA, you'll spend $1500 on a full catback, jpipe and precat delete package.

I was able to build a catback for about $500 but had a welder and the intake cost somewhere around $250, both will be useless with the turbo. At the time, a turbo wasn't possible so this was my only arena except for a SC.

IMHO, if you want the turbo, save for it and forget about these baby upgrades.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:05 PM
Pineapple of DOOM!!!!

Originally Posted by KN_TL
Unless you go full 3 inch in preparation for the turbo that may reduce torque while NA, you'll spend $1500 on a full catback, jpipe and precat delete package.

I was able to build a catback for about $500 but had a welder and the intake cost somewhere around $250, both will be useless with the turbo. At the time, a turbo wasn't possible so this was my only arena except for a SC.

IMHO, if you want the turbo, save for it and forget about these baby upgrades.

I get what ur saying... but, with 4 kids... saving up for the turbo will take a while. I just wanted something fun to get me by till i could get the turbo. What i did with my last car was eliminate the resonators and put on a high flow muffler, had an intake built and that all together cost me 200 bucks. With the TL set up being the way it is... could i do the same thing? Or will that mess some things up? I know nothing about honda performance... the last honda i owned was a '91 accord LX back in '97 and it was beat up and i only used it to get to work.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:16 PM
Pineapple of DOOM!!!!

Driving this car around stock makes me feel like i should have a couple of mountain bikes on a roof rack, golf clubs in the trunk, wearing a sweater vest on my way to a Tea party in beverly hills....lol
Old 09-08-2009, 12:32 PM
Down for a photoshoot?

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
^ Yeah definitely ... I drive to Beverly Hills from time to time since I'm right next door, but with my exhaust blaring in the background music as well

Maybe jpipe and test pipe for now would fulfill your enjoyment needs, then after you have enough for the turbo, probably go full 3inch custom catback ...
Old 09-08-2009, 12:38 PM
Pineapple of DOOM!!!!

Originally Posted by crzygosu87
^ Yeah definitely ... I drive to Beverly Hills from time to time since I'm right next door, but with my exhaust blaring in the background music as well

Maybe jpipe and test pipe for now would fulfill your enjoyment needs, then after you have enough for the turbo, probably go full 3inch custom catback ...

lol... definitely the outcast then... do i need to do a whole cat delete if i change the J-pipe? With a J-pipe and test pipe would the mufflers have the be high flow as well? or does it matter?

Dont mean to ask all kinds of stupid questions im trying to get all this figured out... but for me going from carburetor motors to mitsubishi motors to Honda... is like building bottle rockets one day then going to work for NASA the next day...lol

Last edited by Evil_Pineapple; 09-08-2009 at 12:43 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:28 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Evil_Pineapple
I get what ur saying... but, with 4 kids... saving up for the turbo will take a while. I just wanted something fun to get me by till i could get the turbo. What i did with my last car was eliminate the resonators and put on a high flow muffler, had an intake built and that all together cost me 200 bucks. With the TL set up being the way it is... could i do the same thing? Or will that mess some things up? I know nothing about honda performance... the last honda i owned was a '91 accord LX back in '97 and it was beat up and i only used it to get to work.
Yeah, you can do the same. The CAI from AEM will allow you to move the IAT sensor further down the intake but most of us have left it where it is because it only served to lower the gas mileage.

There are tons of entries regarding the modification of the stock exhaust.

BTW, with 4 kids, you should be in a minivan
Old 09-08-2009, 02:43 PM
Pineapple of DOOM!!!!

Originally Posted by KN_TL
BTW, with 4 kids, you should be in a minivan

Well, dads got to have his fun too... Im not exactly a minivan kind of guy...
Old 09-08-2009, 03:13 PM
Pineapple of DOOM!!!!

I have skimmed through a bunch of threads talking about 3rd cat delete and resonator delete but no mention of the mufflers. Is everyone doing this with stock mufflers or with highflow mufflers? Im thinking of doing this but slapping on a couple of magnaflow mufflers as well..
Old 09-08-2009, 04:04 PM
Safety Car

I can't remember now but I think the tubing drops to 2 1/8 from the Y to the muffler. The other pita is the mufflers are angled.

I went full custom going 2.5 to 2.25 at the Y and just put the mufflers straight to minimize the bends. No problems at all doing this and I've made several 8+ hour trips with it.

I did find that with a 12" (I think) dynomax resonator and two 9x11 magnaflows, it droned like crazy. I replaced the resonator with a monster truck looking round muffler and it cut the drone to almost nothing except for the 2.5K range.

Did it make a performance difference, I don't think enough to justify spending that much on both the CAI and exhaust. But the ear dyno likes it .

I did notice that with the lighter flywheel that it became more responsive. As others have stated, it doesn't increase HP but does free up what's there.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:17 PM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
SAVE FOR THE TURBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it is a necessary item of awesome