3G TL flash pro

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 08:22 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Is it ever possible to get the idle totally stable? Because we are still allowing the throttle to be controlled by the idle control circuit in the factory ECU, you're always going to have two independent brains doing what it thinks it should to keep things running as it should.

If the DBW delete that Gerzand is working on only defeats traction and cruise control, I think that's the way to go. Then we could replace the existing TB with a unit that has the IACV and use the MS3 to control the idle.

I'm also convinced that there isn't one magical tune out there for everyone to use. We all have to learn to tweak this thing but it'll never run as it does on the factory ECU. There are things that we can't use and the algorithms to make this thing run as it does must be extremely complex and specific.

Last edited by KN_TL; 10-02-2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:52 AM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by bmeyer
Too late to edit...

I mean, think about it... for most of us turbo guys, we're going to need to spend upwards of $800 - $1200 at the tuners to make sure the car is tuned properly. If I gave someone $300-$400 for a base tune, I could STILL probably save a couple hundred bucks of dyno time. Half of that time is spent just trying to figure out either why things like VTEC aren't working, or why the car idles like shit. That's a VIABLE BUSINESS in itself just creating an honest base tune that works. We really don't need Hondata to do that for us. What we really need is someone that can organize it, collect deposits so that the work can actually get done, and then reap the benefits.
Originally Posted by Joey tl
I'm willing to donate some money for someone experienced to come up with a solid tune for J&R MS3 ECU. I have spent $600-$800 on dyno tuning and still needs more dyno time. Someone who knows our car and the knowledge to play with tunerstudio would be an excellent idea.
if you guys are willing i would be up for undergoing the task. I'm very good with money and have some local leads that could be of help. I too have the JandR ECU, so my interests are also in this being done right
Old 10-02-2012, 10:33 AM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
My idle is about as close to stock as it gets and I would be happy to share it ( with bemeyer ) to help people get a more stable and refined tune. Provided some one can post how to extract the tune and send it out without it changing any ECU parameters. I am not sure how much help it will be for NA guys, but with the issue the turbo guys are having, it should be a help.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:38 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 893 Posts
So um yeah what happen to homeboy (OP)? Thought he was going to keep us updated?
Old 10-02-2012, 10:56 AM
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 135 Posts
Maybe one day this will actually come about.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:40 AM
All motor

Received 532 Likes on 395 Posts
The list was to 'play along.' If even Hondata came out with something for the J swaps it would be a huge hit. I'm sure someone would be able to figure out how to wire for DBW. If not, then at least they would be making some coin on the swaps. Some who are thinking J swap look elsewhere simply because the fact is; there's no true tuning solution.

Obviously they must have a reason they're not putting the effort into the J. I just wish I knew what it was.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 140 Posts
http://www.Hondata.com/J-series It's currently priced at $1,809.98
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (10-02-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 12:41 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Sonnick
I'm sure someone would be able to figure out how to wire for DBW.
I'm pretty sure it's not the technicality, it's the legality if/when it sticks and kills someone or groups of people.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:11 PM
18psi

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Hi speed
My idle is about as close to stock as it gets and I would be happy to share it ( with bemeyer ) to help people get a more stable and refined tune. Provided some one can post how to extract the tune and send it out without it changing any ECU parameters. I am not sure how much help it will be for NA guys, but with the issue the turbo guys are having, it should be a help.
connect laptop to ms3, open tunerstudio. if your laptop is configured correctly then your tune file should load right into tunerstudio.

click file, then save tune as. done
Old 10-02-2012, 01:30 PM
All motor

Originally Posted by bouncer07
Broken link. They don't have anything for the J series.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:34 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonnick
Broken link. They don't have anything for the J series.
i think he was being facetious
Old 10-02-2012, 01:36 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
^^^ guess you rubbed off on him
Old 10-02-2012, 01:41 PM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
Originally Posted by bouncer07
LIES!!
Old 10-02-2012, 01:50 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by libert69
connect laptop to ms3, open tunerstudio. if your laptop is configured correctly then your tune file should load right into tunerstudio.

click file, then save tune as. done
I will check it out, I never even downloaded TS, since my tune turned out so good.

Thanks.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:07 PM
All motor

^ I give it an hour before your inbox is flooded with PMs. "Why you t00n s0 g00d?!"

Glad to hear you got it working well for your car. If it weren't so difficult to get working properly, I'd consider it for my Accord.....consider it...for my Accord...although our boy @ v9p is doin' the damn thing.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:53 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Xiomaro
if you guys are willing i would be up for undergoing the task. I'm very good with money and have some local leads that could be of help. I too have the JandR ECU, so my interests are also in this being done right
I think that if we make this happen, it's going to be partly a collaborative effort with everyone running the MS3 currently. Everyone would need to document their current mods, the issues they're having, maybe get some video and data logs and then send them, along with their current tune to the person/shop doing the work. Then we could get a large enough sample size to know what works, what doesn't, and hopefully figure out where most of the issues lie and try to avoid them.
justnspace (10-02-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 03:38 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by KN_TL
Is it ever possible to get the idle totally stable? Because we are still allowing the throttle to be controlled by the idle control circuit in the factory ECU, you're always going to have two independent brains doing what it thinks it should to keep things running as it should.

If the DBW delete that Gerzand is working on only defeats traction and cruise control, I think that's the way to go. Then we could replace the existing TB with a unit that has the IACV and use the MS3 to control the idle.

I'm also convinced that there isn't one magical tune out there for everyone to use. We all have to learn to tweak this thing but it'll never run as it does on the factory ECU. There are things that we can't use and the algorithms to make this thing run as it does must be extremely complex and specific.
I'm certain that you're right about no single "magical tune" for everyone, however, a tune that is properly scaled and that has an actual tune for the cranking, afterstart, warmup and idle parameters would go a long way.

Since the MS3 has the ability to control IAC valves, I'm going to start researching what it would take to add an external valve to the J32. I would hope that if the MS3 can react fast enough, it wouldn't give the stock ECU enough time to attempt to counter any fluctuations in RPM. That would allow us to retain the VSA and cruise control (which I'm not willing to give up).

EDIT: By the way, if anyone has a spare J32 intake manifold laying around that they wouldn't mind donating for research purposes, let me know.

Last edited by bmeyer; 10-02-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:43 PM
Safety Car

I think that if we make this happen, it's going to be partly a collaborative effort with everyone running the MS3 currently. Everyone would need to document their current mods, the issues they're having, maybe get some video and data logs and then send them, along with their current tune to the person/shop doing the work. Then we could get a large enough sample size to know what works, what doesn't, and hopefully figure out where most of the issues lie and try to avoid them.
That sounds great but this isn't the right place for it. The fact you can't attach files is the major obstacle aside from the other obvious reasons.

EDIT: Let me see what I can do for hosting space......

Last edited by KN_TL; 10-02-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:24 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by KN_TL
That sounds great but this isn't the right place for it. The fact you can't attach files is the major obstacle aside from the other obvious reasons.

EDIT: Let me see what I can do for hosting space......
I still have quite a bit of hosting space available yet. Let me see if I can get a domain setup for it this weekend.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 140 Posts
Would suck to see Hondata only do it to the Manual crowd. The automatic guys would really hate them.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 491 Likes on 233 Posts
I could not agree more. I have "squirted" cars in the past and it has always been through the shared knowledge that allows members to continually improve upon the product. The whole Megasquirt premise is about DIY and open hardware. Plenty a people sold prebuilt hardware but it was always well documented which allowed the end user to make changes.

I will shoot you a email when I get a chance to brainstorm.
The following 2 users liked this post by Richie v6:
bmeyer (10-03-2012), Sonnick (10-03-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 02:18 PM
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 135 Posts
Rv6 ecu ftw?!?!
Old 10-03-2012, 04:27 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Richie v6
I could not agree more. I have "squirted" cars in the past and it has always been through the shared knowledge that allows members to continually improve upon the product. The whole Megasquirt premise is about DIY and open hardware. Plenty a people sold prebuilt hardware but it was always well documented which allowed the end user to make changes.

I will shoot you a email when I get a chance to brainstorm.
Thanks, Richie! I was hoping you would weigh in on this.

I do have a domain setup for the info. There's nothing actually there yet until I get some time to put some content together.

http://J-SeriesTech.com

EDIT: As a side note, I did get some equipment ordered up for the IAC. It won't be here for a week or two, but I'm determined to make some progress on it.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:16 PM
18psi

Thanks, Richie! I was hoping you would weigh in on this.

I do have a domain setup for the info. There's nothing actually there yet until I get some time to put some content together.

http://J-SeriesTech.com

EDIT: As a side note, I did get some equipment ordered up for the IAC. It won't be here for a week or two, but I'm determined to make some progress on it.
In...so what exactly is the game plan here?
Old 10-03-2012, 05:28 PM
Pro

In...so what exactly is the game plan here?
Well, the hope is to create a site that contains all of the tech info regarding the J-Series engines. I'm already planning on doing a write-up for building a J36, wiring diagrams for F/IC and MS3, MS3 tutorials, fuel return write-up, and hopefully some info about adding an external IAC valve, etc. Basically all of the info that was already there, but all in a secretive fashion (i.e. people trying to charge for it).

It'll be setup in a wiki style, but submissions will be made via a review process. We already have plenty of forums with all sorts of misinformation floating around. We just don't need another. Think of it as a "no bullshit way of getting to the technical info you need".

Maybe we can setup a section regarding MS3 tuning, but it needs some more thought.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:58 AM
18psi

Well, the hope is to create a site that contains all of the tech info regarding the J-Series engines. I'm already planning on doing a write-up for building a J36, wiring diagrams for F/IC and MS3, MS3 tutorials, fuel return write-up, and hopefully some info about adding an external IAC valve, etc. Basically all of the info that was already there, but all in a secretive fashion (i.e. people trying to charge for it).

It'll be setup in a wiki style, but submissions will be made via a review process. We already have plenty of forums with all sorts of misinformation floating around. We just don't need another. Think of it as a "no bullshit way of getting to the technical info you need".

Maybe we can setup a section regarding MS3 tuning, but it needs some more thought.

Ahhh I see....sounds like a great idea as long as people are willing to share.

I really have no problems with the ms3 other then the idle. I havent been able to find a tuner around my way that has a deep knowledge of tuner studio. If I did, i would have no problem bringing my car there for them to go over my tune and tweak it.

Since the MS3 has the ability to control IAC valves, I'm going to start researching what it would take to add an external valve to the J32. I would hope that if the MS3 can react fast enough, it wouldn't give the stock ECU enough time to attempt to counter any fluctuations in RPM. That would allow us to retain the VSA and cruise control (which I'm not willing to give up).

EDIT: By the way, if anyone has a spare J32 intake manifold laying around that they wouldn't mind donating for research purposes, let me know.
My vsa is permantly disabled. I have no idea what would happen if the vsa tried to engage with over double the hp going through it. Idk, maybe nothing...but when I brought my car to dealership after the 6spd swap to have the immobilizer re-programmed, i brought it up to the master-tech and he said it was probably better to leave the vsa off at all times with that much power.

My cruise control doesnt work either. I thought that was b.c. rodney didnt do the wiring correctly when we swapped to the 6spd?

I also dont need to press the clutch to start the car. Is that normal for the TL as well?
Old 10-04-2012, 07:19 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
^lol no.
I have to press the clutch in to start the car.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:13 AM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
If you guys need any help with the website, web design, or backend just shoot me a PM and I'd be glad to help.
The following 3 users liked this post by maharajamd:
bmeyer (10-04-2012), Hi speed (10-04-2012), Sonnick (10-12-2012)
Old 10-04-2012, 08:36 AM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
another thing you all need to keep in mind is that for some reason all these cars are behaving differently. I think it was KN_TL or IHC that said it first. So i'm not even sure how much good a base tune is even going to do, seeing how much fiddling it takes to get each one right.

the only isue my car has shown is acceleration spike after hard boost. it's kind of cool actually, lol
Old 10-04-2012, 09:34 AM
Pro

Ahhh I see....sounds like a great idea as long as people are willing to share.
At this point, it's not even as much a matter of other people sharing as it is just me writing articles about everything that I've discovered while working on my car.

I'd definitely like to have others contribute tech articles, but I don't suspect there are many others out there with really detailed info about these things (kind of the point of putting this site together in the first place).

My vsa is permantly disabled. I have no idea what would happen if the vsa tried to engage with over double the hp going through it. Idk, maybe nothing...but when I brought my car to dealership after the 6spd swap to have the immobilizer re-programmed, i brought it up to the master-tech and he said it was probably better to leave the vsa off at all times with that much power.

My cruise control doesnt work either. I thought that was b.c. rodney didnt do the wiring correctly when we swapped to the 6spd?

I also dont need to press the clutch to start the car. Is that normal for the TL as well?
Sounds like you're throwing a few codes that are preventing you from using the VSA and cruise. I know from past experience that if the VSA light is on because of a fault in the system that the cruise will not function.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:39 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Xiomaro
another thing you all need to keep in mind is that for some reason all these cars are behaving differently. I think it was KN_TL or IHC that said it first. So i'm not even sure how much good a base tune is even going to do, seeing how much fiddling it takes to get each one right.
I'm certain that you're right about no single "magical tune" for everyone, however, a tune that is properly scaled and that has an actual tune for the cranking, afterstart, warmup and idle parameters would go a long way.
As it sits now, Rodney never made any adjustments to any of these parameters. If you open up the generic MS3 tune, you'll see the exact same values for all of the startup parameters as are in the tunes being sent out with the ECU.

Also, adding at least SOME ability to manipulate the idle with an IAC should help a bit. We'll find out.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:17 AM
Safety Car

As it sits now, Rodney never made any adjustments to any of these parameters. If you open up the generic MS3 tune, you'll see the exact same values for all of the startup parameters as are in the tunes being sent out with the ECU.

Also, adding at least SOME ability to manipulate the idle with an IAC should help a bit. We'll find out.
The value to this is to address all of the things that are missing from these base tunes that we've all been getting. People with widebands where the MS2 isn't configured to use them (although Rodney did say he does that intentionally in case the WB fails), rescaling to the proper fuel requirements, etc. If we can at least get everyone to understand or at least get the base tunes for various mods out there for people to start with, then at least we are talking on the same page. Right now, we all have good info to share but the big picture is still just a trailer for me. There are some who do know but unfortunately aren't willing to share. If we can all share information that weeds out the bullshit, it can go a long way.

I'm very interested to see what you come up with a IAC. But I think we'll have to figure out how to fool the factory ECU into not tweaking the TB. I was thinking about this and I wonder if the factory IAC is also tweaking the air/fuel mixture and since it now has no control over it then it is over reacting at some points.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:36 PM
Former Sponsor

I have no interest in selling the Megasquirt III under the RV6 name. I would never have the time to support it. It would be best to release the diagrams and tunes to the public and have members supporting each other. I am more interested in supporting the community and having a solid set of base maps for my products.

There are many vendors that will sell you a standalone MSIII ECU in kit form or assembled. However the wiring, tune and mods to the MSIII need to be documented and public so that everyone is on the same page and can help trouble shoot. If there is a demand I might offer quality made hardware such as harnesses and daughter boards built to the public designs.

I still feel that a Flashpro option would be best. Although I doubt Hondata will ever pull through. It allows you to modify factory maps and not have to start from scratch. Honda spends big money in developing ECU software that will work under any conditions. With a factory ECU I can hop in my car when it is negative 20 or 120 outside at any elevation turn the key and my car will start.

This is very difficult to do with a standalone ECU. But not impossible it takes some serious dedication and willingness to learn. It is more tuning for reliability than power. People switching to a standalone ECU have to realize they will be giving up factory reliability for tuning abilities.
The following 2 users liked this post by Richie v6:
homeboynyc (10-06-2012), Sonnick (10-12-2012)
Old 10-12-2012, 10:46 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well said
Old 10-12-2012, 11:20 AM
Safety Car

does anyone know if the current true standalone ECU's are all non-dbw?

I was watching a show about ESC and the tests they made were pretty amazing. If I were a company, I wouldn't sell anything that could possibly screw that up.

Also makes me rethink the conversion from dbw since I do most driving in non-crazed mode. It could come in handy for those situations that are out of your control.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:31 PM
18psi

almost everything ive read is all cable setups. i believe there was one older bmw that was dbw using the ms3

if you read the several threads on msextra.com regarding ms3 and dbw, you will see that there are no plans to incorporate dbw adjustments. it seems its mostly for safety concerns

the site admin and matt cramer both said no
Old 10-12-2012, 01:35 PM
Safety Car

almost everything ive read is all cable setups. i believe there was one older bmw that was dbw using the ms3

if you read the several threads on msextra.com regarding ms3 and dbw, you will see that there are no plans to incorporate dbw adjustments. it seems its mostly for safety concerns

the site admin and matt cramer both said no
I did read that. I can't see anyone wanting the liability of altering something like this. The complexity of the coding and sensing for failsafe must be extreme.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:53 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Richie v6
...With a factory ECU I can hop in my car when it is negative 20 or 120 outside at any elevation turn the key and my car will start.

This is very difficult to do with a standalone ECU. But not impossible it takes some serious dedication and willingness to learn. It is more tuning for reliability than power. People switching to a standalone ECU have to realize they will be giving up factory reliability for tuning abilities.
I'm not sure why you would say this. The MS3, even in a dual-ecu setup would be aware of things like the baro, map, ait, ect, and in a sensible installation, would have a wideband.

The MS3 has a warmup enrichment table, as well as awareness of (and similar control algorithm) to the factory ECU. What would make you think things like temperature compensation would be hard to do or require dedication? These are features of the MS3, which is an excellent EFI controller!
gerzand (10-14-2012)
Old 10-13-2012, 11:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by feuss2
I'm not sure why you would say this. The MS3, even in a dual-ecu setup would be aware of things like the baro, map, ait, ect, and in a sensible installation, would have a wideband.

The MS3 has a warmup enrichment table, as well as awareness of (and similar control algorithm) to the factory ECU. What would make you think things like temperature compensation would be hard to do or require dedication? These are features of the MS3, which is an excellent EFI controller!
It does have all those features but how would you tune them. You could wait until its freezing out and go sit in your freezing car with a laptop and try to dial in the settings without warming up your engine up enough to throw off the settings or completely soaking your plugs. You could also keep a laptop in your car to mess with the warm up enrichments when your car won't start. This fine when you aren't using the car as a daily driver. However most people need reliable transportation for work, school and family. I am not saying its impossible however you have to be in the right situation to make it happen.

MS3 does support real time barometric correction however it is not build in. You have to add a second sensor and configure it in the software. I would highly recommend getting it. Everyone has to be on the same page if we want to work together.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:28 PM
Former Sponsor

I do not mean to be a downer. I just want to make sure everyone is well aware the MS is far from plug and play at this point. I do plan on picking one up and trying it out on my TL at some point this winter. I built a turboed 2.0L MX6 running MS2 back in college for a boost controller SR project. I might upgrade that one to MS3 and check out the differences.

Quick Reply: 3G TL flash pro