2008 TL type S 6spd project, where to start

Old 06-24-2018, 10:41 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey all , new to this site . Looking for some help/ advice
So I'm currently in the market for a 2008 TL type S 6spd , and once I've found one . I would like to start my build . Want to make sure I do all my research be for diving head first into It .
Can any one here lead me in the right direction and or offer some solid advice.
I am currently living in Vancouver BC area .

​​​​​​Cheers 🍻
Old 06-24-2018, 11:12 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris Jordan
Can any one here lead me in the right direction
AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community > AcuraZine TL/TLX Community > Third Generation TL (2004-2008)
Old 06-24-2018, 11:45 PM
Instructor

Hey all , new to this site . Looking for some help/ advice
So I'm currently in the market for a 2008 TL type S 6spd , and once I've found one . I would like to start my build . Want to make sure I do all my research be for diving head first into It .
Can any one here lead me in the right direction and or offer some solid advice.
I am currently living in Vancouver BC area .

​​​​​​Cheers 🍻
Old 06-25-2018, 06:16 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
read the forums...over the last 14 years we've talked about, answered, modified, pretty much all there is to do...all it takes from you is a little simple reading....BECAUSE there is no way 14 years of info will be spoon fed to you.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:17 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
read the forums, bro! it's all in the link AZuser provided
Old 06-25-2018, 08:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Moved to proper forum.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
not trying to be a jerk but first you gotta to make sure that you buy a clean TL-S MT 1st before making mod list lol.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:49 AM
Slot Machine Lubricator

Received 404 Likes on 316 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...owners-701772/
Old 06-25-2018, 10:54 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by truonghthe
not trying to be a jerk but first you gotta to make sure that you buy a clean TL-S MT 1st before making mod list lol.
absolutely couldn't agree more with you on that .
Any suggestions u can pass on , when looking for one besides the obvious , low kms , one over, no DEC's, no smoker / pets ects
Old 06-25-2018, 10:55 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by justnspace
read the forums...over the last 14 years we've talked about, answered, modified, pretty much all there is to do...all it takes from you is a little simple reading....BECAUSE there is no way 14 years of info will be spoon fed to you.
fair enough, will do cheers
Old 06-25-2018, 11:30 AM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Hi Chris! I sent you a PM!
Old 06-25-2018, 01:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
Hey Chris, good tonseea local member on here. I'm also from Vancity and recently picked up my 6mt type s. There's a few on our local craigslist right now that seem to be decent. It'll be a task to find a mint one, but you never know what might pop up. I have a check list I made for the type s, from everything mechanical to lights. Hit me up and I'll forward it to.you. good luck on your search!
Old 06-25-2018, 02:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
absolutely couldn't agree more with you on that .
Any suggestions u can pass on , when looking for one besides the obvious , low kms , one over, no DEC's, no smoker / pets ects
To me the milage doesn't make the "must" or "bust", when I in the market for a TL-S MT it pretty much the mechanical condition reflect on mileage and price. I prefer the one that previous owner has all records of maint/repair bills or some sort of logs through out his/her ownership.

I willing to pay high price for "my criteria" but nothing come up except for a bunch of "junk" TL, I guess that what happened when I only wanted MRP or KBP MT lol.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MyGuti
Hey Chris, good tonseea local member on here. I'm also from Vancity and recently picked up my 6mt type s. There's a few on our local craigslist right now that seem to be decent. It'll be a task to find a mint one, but you never know what might pop up. I have a check list I made for the type s, from everything mechanical to lights. Hit me up and I'll forward it to.you. good luck on your search!
how's it going good to hear from someone local , yes if u can send that list it would be much appreciated.
Also I am to looking on all of our top three search engines and I can't find anything 6spd type s alot of autos . Let me know if you have seen any .
Chat soon

Cheers

My email is hondatuning2@shaw.ca
Old 07-04-2018, 04:12 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I looked at the build threads for we when I first got my car to see what was done and how it would look. Go back farther than the first page though. And I looked specifically at those threads that had multiple pages. Then from there you decide what you want and how to do it. If you do it yourself there are a ton of links floating around to help. Or hit up the vendors here to see what they offer. I’ve only dealt with endless, but heeltoe and excelerate are both well known on here.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:16 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ossman14
I looked at the build threads for we when I first got my car to see what was done and how it would look. Go back farther than the first page though. And I looked specifically at those threads that had multiple pages. Then from there you decide what you want and how to do it. If you do it yourself there are a ton of links floating around to help. Or hit up the vendors here to see what they offer. I’ve only dealt with endless, but heeltoe and excelerate are both well known on here.
thanks for the advice : )
Old 08-21-2018, 11:02 PM
Instructor

Just picked mine up yesterday : )

So after alot of patients I've managed to find my very first type S 6spd and I'm jacket . Dam these things are quick , stock .
I have one thing that I wanted to ask you all , my guess is need new spark plugs or a bad coil pack
so at idle if u put ur foot on the pedle and raise it up to just under 1500 rpm the idle is very rough , after 1500 rpm all is great as is the idle . Any ideas

Cheers
Old 08-22-2018, 12:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

sounds like a bad motor mount
Old 08-22-2018, 01:48 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Just like any older used car, it's going to need some work whether you like it or not. You should work out the maintenance and repairs first before sinking money into mods. You will feel better about the car knowing its not a rolling sh!tbox. With that being said, depending if its an auto or manual, your starting mods will be different. Take care of that trans first either way. then build
Old 08-22-2018, 02:52 AM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
When I first got mine I took it to Acura for a pre purchase inspection. Cost $150 but you can apply that $150 towards anything you have them complete, I used mine on the timing belt
Old 08-22-2018, 02:23 PM
Safety Car

Received 986 Likes on 744 Posts
Info and
Old 08-22-2018, 03:32 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by theCoffeeFiend
Just like any older used car, it's going to need some work whether you like it or not. You should work out the maintenance and repairs first before sinking money into mods. You will feel better about the car knowing its not a rolling sh!tbox. With that being said, depending if its an auto or manual, your starting mods will be different. Take care of that trans first either way. then build
Couldn't agree more , that's what I'm doing get it running tip top and then , start the build . Is I've mentioned only real thing that I have noticed is that rough throttle response from idle up to 1400rpm them smother out fine
Old 08-22-2018, 03:39 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Couldn't agree more , that's what I'm doing get it running tip top and then , start the build . Is I've mentioned only real thing that I have noticed is that rough throttle response from idle up to 1400rpm them smother out fine
What kind of plans do you have for the build and how deep are your pockets? This car is a huge black hole for money when it comes to performance mods, lots-and-LOTS of dollars for each additional pound-foot of torque and/or horsepower. Unless you're prepared to dump an easy five thousand, you might just save your money and enjoy the car as it is.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:46 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by horseshoez
What kind of plans do you have for the build and how deep are your pockets? This car is a huge black hole for money when it comes to performance mods, lots-and-LOTS of dollars for each additional pound-foot of torque and/or horsepower. Unless you're prepared to dump an easy five thousand, you might just save your money and enjoy the car as it is.
for the most part get it in full operating order I have a few small things to do
- the fought throttle response from idle up too 1500 rpm
-Clutch
-oil pan seal
-timing belt

That's about it , it's a screemer .
What are your thoughts on the throttle issue , and what Clutch would u recommend , a step above stock .

After get these small items done , my goal would be 450-500 hp and yes I've got a few bucks to invest into it .
Old 08-24-2018, 07:07 PM
Safety Car

Received 855 Likes on 703 Posts
Instead of dicking around with stickers, just buy a Gerzy Bear Performance procharger kit and call it a day.
The following users liked this post:
Chris Jordan (02-03-2020)
Old 08-24-2018, 08:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Saving4aTL
Instead of dicking around with stickers, just buy a Gerzy Bear Performance procharger kit and call it a day.

Stickers ??
Whats this kit all about ?
Old 09-04-2018, 11:47 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exhaust

I'd advise start with the exhaust big fella, let's u know exactly how u want your car to sound so it can look the part next, but most of all fix anything that's MAJORLY wrong, like brakes if grinding, or dash codes cause theres nothing worse than putting 2k worth in parts to a car that has a fucked up tranny u could a fixed a year ago
Old 09-07-2018, 10:02 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Qrious
I'd advise start with the exhaust big fella, let's u know exactly how u want your car to sound so it can look the part next, but most of all fix anything that's MAJORLY wrong, like brakes if grinding, or dash codes cause theres nothing worse than putting 2k worth in parts to a car that has a fucked up tranny u could a fixed a year ago
great advice 👍, that's what I'm currently working on getting here 100 % sounds , if u have read my other threads . I'm still dealing with this . Did u have any thoughts , thinking I'm going to call the dealer and have them go threw it .

As far as exhaust goes , great idea . But wow there's far to many out there . I would want mine to sound exotic, powerful, no ricer sounds ( no offence) .

Have u gone threw the hole circle jerk wight he Bluetooth phone thingy up by the sunroof bottoms?
Old 09-07-2018, 11:25 AM
10th Gear

Hands free Calling ?

great advice 👍, that's what I'm currently working on getting here 100 % sounds , if u have read my other threads . I'm still dealing with this . Did u have any thoughts , thinking I'm going to call the dealer and have them go threw it .

As far as exhaust goes , great idea . But wow there's far to many out there . I would want mine to sound exotic, powerful, no ricer sounds ( no offence) .

Have u gone threw the hole circle jerk wight he Bluetooth phone thingy up by the sunroof bottoms?
u referring to the hands free speaker/connection thing by the sunroof button ? Lmao man I unplugged mines but left it up there for 2 reasons
1. I hear it drains the life outta ya batter when it's bad cause it's always attempting to connect
2. Its 2018 and I have a type s with aux cord and google maps I don't need an obsolete system to drain my battery

in reference to the exhaust tho I'm doing a custom one for my type s
Old 09-07-2018, 11:36 AM
Instructor

u referring to the hands free speaker/connection thing by the sunroof button ? Lmao man I unplugged mines but left it up there for 2 reasons
1. I hear it drains the life outta ya batter when it's bad cause it's always attempting to connect
2. Its 2018 and I have a type s with aux cord and google maps I don't need an obsolete system to drain my battery

in reference to the exhaust tho I'm doing a custom one for my type s
ya the previous owner did the same thing , but it would be nice to have the phone working with the phone so I can make calls .

whats the details on your exhaust build . A shop is doing the build from scratch or using parts to build it
Old 09-07-2018, 11:52 AM
10th Gear

Its pricey

ya the previous owner did the same thing , but it would be nice to have the phone working with the phone so I can make calls .

whats the details on your exhaust build . A shop is doing the build from scratch or using parts to build it
Well in reference to u getting that hands free I'm all to support shit ppl want for their car, however I must warn u buy it new cause these go bad after maybe 3 years if your lucky it's not quite reliable so never get a used one unless free or dirt cheap, but the drawback is a new one is mad overpriced/expensive for such an unreliable system

now in reference to the exhaust I was gonna do custom piping but since I'm gonna put a push bar/tow bar at the front I decided to go the other route, right now my exhaust is stage 3 with an intake reso delete but I currently have 2 magnaflow rear mufflers and a y-pipe sitting in my trunk waiting to be put on follow this thread to get full details on a similar set up https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-112/piecing-together-magnaflow-quad-exhaust-767913/
Old 09-07-2018, 11:56 AM
Instructor

Well in reference to u getting that hands free I'm all to support shit ppl want for their car, however I must warn u buy it new cause these go bad after maybe 3 years if your lucky it's not quite reliable so never get a used one unless free or dirt cheap, but the drawback is a new one is mad overpriced/expensive for such an unreliable system

now in reference to the exhaust I was gonna do custom piping but since I'm gonna put a push bar/tow bar at the front I decided to go the other route, right now my exhaust is stage 3 with an intake reso delete but I currently have 2 magnaflow rear mufflers and a y-pipe sitting in my trunk waiting to be put on follow this thread to get full details on a similar set up https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-112/piecing-together-magnaflow-quad-exhaust-767913/
Sweet I'd like to check that out , do the link u added I couldn't open up , it wasn't highlighted

Ya I'm guessing aftermarket is the best waste go , thing is if I go that way , can the new system work with all the factory bottons I really like the out lay of the button lay out
Old 09-07-2018, 12:23 PM
10th Gear

Search

Sweet I'd like to check that out , do the link u added I couldn't open up , it wasn't highlighted

Ya I'm guessing aftermarket is the best waste go , thing is if I go that way , can the new system work with all the factory bottons I really like the out lay of the button lay out

"​Piecing Together Magnaflow Quad Exhaust​​​​​​"
just search that on Google and you'll find the page my guy, and the button layout you'd have to find a good custom person you trust to either reroute the buttons which is expensive or make a new circuit board to put in there so the right signals r being sent if u wanna add shit in which is a whole other level, but I haven't seen it done before so u got uniqueness if u can find someone, the level of difficulty is crazy that's y most ppl just leave the buttons and add new ones to di what they want like a button by the steering wheel for undrglow and shit
Old 09-07-2018, 11:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
as for your Bluetooth needs,
this thing this thing
is great! I've had mine for over a year and it sounds perfect and is a breeze to install.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 645 Likes on 347 Posts
No pics?
Old 09-16-2018, 09:52 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Aussum
as for your Bluetooth needs, this thing is great! I've had mine for over a year and it sounds perfect and is a breeze to install.

Temporary out of stock ,
Old 09-17-2018, 04:03 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Temporary out of stock ,
Do not order any USASpec products from Amazon. Why? Per USASpec's web site, they have no authorized Amazon dealers, and if you buy through that source, they will not honor any warranty issues. If I recall correctly, Crutchfield is the only authorized online vendor; I bought my BT45-HON from them.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:57 PM
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
I bought mine from amazon.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

@Chris Jordan, if you don't care about having your track information show up on the navigation screen and having control to switch tracks via your car's built in buttons, I recommend purchasing the Harmon Kardon Bluetooth adapter! I have it in my Type-S and I swear it makes your stock sound much much better. Deeper clarity and much better sounding bass (no rattling).
Old 09-18-2018, 11:37 AM
Safety Car

Received 986 Likes on 744 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostTL09
No pics?
no car?