2004 Acura TL build

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 03:28 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Acura TL build

so basically I have looked around and the question doesn't seem to be easy to find I've searched here and google, where ever you can think of.

I have a tl that seems to be straight piped with magna flow exhaust I'm guessing ( again not sure). just need to know to things if the upgrades can be done on the car( I have heard some people say you can't do this if u have that and if u do that you won't be able to do this after.

j pipe- ( xlr8 seem to be favorite do most people, but open to advice)

test pipe or pro cat - haven't done much research on this but you can't do both so what do u guys think for over all best hp gains?

cat back - heard the greddy Evo 2use to give the most gains what's on top now ?

ur pulley - ...

aem/Injen CAI plus heat shield

P2R Intake Manifold Gasket -

intake spacers

P2R Throttle Body Spacer

thermo block spacers

or does the new throttle body kit from the newer tl that fit on the 04 have all of that

main question I have is their any synergy in running a certain combo of these mods ? if so what is that combo that provides for the absolute most power gains, and also I heard of some of these mods lowering torq what do u guys make if this ?
Old 07-18-2014, 04:47 PM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
I have a tl that seems to be straight piped with magna flow exhaust I'm guessing ( again not sure). just need to know to things if the upgrades can be done on the car( I have heard some people say you can't do this if u have that and if u do that you won't be able to do this after. I have the Magnaflow and love them. just look under the exhaust, they stamp their producs.

j pipe- ( xlr8 seem to be favorite do most people, but open to advice) V2, buy and be happy!

test pipe or pro cat - haven't done much research on this but you can't do both so what do u guys think for over all best hp gains? no cat = more HP! some have seen up to 8HP more without the Cat.

cat back - heard the greddy Evo 2use to give the most gains what's on top now ? Greddy is popular. if you already have Magnaflows on those are good mufflers, I personally would keep them and do the J pipe, axle back in a 2.25 and Jpipe to axle in a 2.5. custom job but any exhaust shop can do it for you for under 200.

ur pulley - ... HUGE debate over this, I say UR pulley stock size. some go underdrive. I would avoid underdrive if you are running aftermarket stereo and lighting but that is just my opinion.

aem/Injen CAI plus heat shield -
AEM V2 is great for sound. maybe slight HP gains. but the car stock intake is already a CAI design. the sound changes like you wouldnt believe. AEM V2 and do a heat wrap on the pipe.

P2R Intake Manifold Gasket -

intake spacers

P2R Throttle Body Spacer Heard mixed reviews. I opted out personlly.

thermo block spacers

or does the new throttle body kit from the newer tl that fit on the 04 have all of that
you can look at other models like the ZDX I believe. ads HP.

main question I have is their any synergy in running a certain combo of these mods ? if so what is that combo that provides for the absolute most power gains, and also I heard of some of these mods lowering torq what do u guys make if this
do what you want, everyone will tell you something different. just enjoy the car the best you can in your budget. you will not have a race car unless you go all in financially and commit. and then you lose some of the love for what the car was made for honestly. just enjoy it and do what you want.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:22 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
Pro cats were hi flow cats made many years ago and are no longer available. Heal Toe automotive I believe sells a hi flow cat and pre cat deletes. ( straight pipes instead of cats)
Heal Toe is a vendor for acurazine.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 595 Likes on 408 Posts
RV6 performance sells high flow pre-cats. Highly recommend. Pre-cat deletes (eliminates the cats all together) give you the best gains, but at the cost of high drone and rasp. You'll need an extra or bigger resonator in your exhaust to tame it. High flow cats gives you best of both worlds, still good gains, low drone and no rasp with aftermarket exhaust, with stock exhaust you might not have any drone/rasp, I don't know.

The 3rd cat is eliminated with the newer J-pipes, XLR8 V2 or RV6 V3.

No need to wrap your CAI. The air flows in too fast for any meaningful heat soak from the pipe walls under acceleration. Stock intake is CAI but restrictive. Each item by itself will only give you small gains, but all together, intake and full exhaust, plus a tune, will maximize your gains. Weight removal is also popular with this car. The lighter you are, the better you go and handle.

If you want to make serious power, sell your kidneys and your 1st born, then boost it.

Last edited by FamilyGuy; 07-18-2014 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:58 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when u say no cat equals more hp by that you mean go with the test pipe correct ?
if so what test pipe would you recommend ?
Old 07-18-2014, 09:02 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
The TL has 3 cats. 1 for each bank of cylinders, so 2 pre cats ( cats on the engine ) and 1 3rd cat which is after the j pipe or farther down the exhaust in the middle of he car. Test pipe usually refers to removing the 3rd cat and replacing it with a straight pipe. This does nothing HP wise but, improves sound. Pre cat deletes are the same thing ( straight thru pipes ) for the two primary cats or pre cats. These give you a nice HP bump due to the decreased restriction of the more free flowing exhaust.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

The TL has 2 cats bolted directly on the heads, one on each side. There are no headers on this car, the headers are casted into the heads. These are what we call pre-cats. Then there's a 3rd cat at the end of the J-pipe, between it and the exhaust. This is the 3rd cat.

Early J-pipes has a piece of straight pipe called a test pipe that could replace the 3rd cat. The thought was use that for driving, then easily replace it with your cat for inspections when needed. But most places are ok with the 3rd cat removed. The main cats that matter are the ones on the engine.

I believe all 3 main suppliers now sell a J-pipe without a test pipe, that extends all the way to the exhaust, so pick your fav (XLR8, RV6 and ATLP). I would go for one of these, I don't see the point in the early versions with a test pipe. The 3rd cat has no sensors on it, I believe it's only there for Acura to get some emissions rating when the car came out. You don't need it.

RV6 also sells straight pipes to replace the main 2 cats, which gives you the most power there, but this introduces rasp and high drone (with J-pipe and exhaust). They also sell high flow pre-cats, which is what I have. Still gives you good gains, no rasp and low drone, at least with my J-pipe and exhaust (also RV6 ones).

Edit: oops Hi speed already answered this.

Originally Posted by Hi speed
The TL has 3 cats. 1 for each bank of cylinders, so 2 pre cats ( cats on the engine ) and 1 3rd cat which is after the j pipe or farther down the exhaust in the middle of he car. Test pipe usually refers to removing the 3rd cat and replacing it with a straight pipe. This does nothing HP wise but, improves sound. Pre cat deletes are the same thing ( straight thru pipes ) for the two primary cats or pre cats. These give you a nice HP bump due to the decreased restriction of the more free flowing exhaust.
Pretty sure removing the 3rd cat adds a few horses, no different than doing the same on the pre cats, wouldn't you agree? You're still removing a restriction on your exhaust.

Last edited by FamilyGuy; 07-19-2014 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 140 Posts
Body Kit, loud exhaust, and performance mods. What are you're goals?

If you want to go fast, you're missing some major hp parts. But first if you want to start building the TL... get Flashpro on the list first. Then start the 3.7 build and then start getting beefier tire set up. Adding performance mods always look for supportin mods that holds that peformance up. Check out some motor mounts. Listing a few, get ready to spend that bank money like a water fall.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

If you're just doing bolt ons, flashpro should come last, not first. The stock ECU can keep things running fine until you're done all bolt ons, then only need to tune once.