2 Piston Caliper Rear Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 09:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 111 Posts
2 Piston Caliper Rear Brakes

looked all around the posts and could not find anything related to this topic.

I have a 04 Manual with the Brembo brakes and a curious idea flitted across my mind

When I was changing my pads I was thinking what if we had a 2 Piston Caliper brake in the rear?

As a preliminary thought I was thinking take the normal Auto TL front brake set and put it in the back

I googled the 2 piston idea and really did not find anything but I have to imagine someone has done it or at least thought about it.

I have a feeling it would not really be helpful for a daily driver but it sounds like a cool idea.

My concerns are:
Would it just screw up braking in general?
Would it cause the car to fish tail or possibly hop?

Looking for a challenge but don’t want to waste my time if it truly is worthless

I have a 04 Manual with no modifications.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
I've had the thought long time ago, but invested my money on going fast, rather than rear brakes... Honesly, our front brakes do about 70% of breaking...especially being that its front heavy, it wouldn't screw anything up.. But I would say that on a very stiff suspension and lowered TL where weight shift and nose diving when breaking are reduced by a lot..having better rear brakes wouldn't hurt...however in my experience..I've been slammed for a long time..ever since tein ss coilovers were made, in almost 6 years, I've changed my rear pads only 1 time.. I do however love the cool look of big brakes..but I didn't wanna spend $$$ just so it looks cool...

For some reason I think the Evo rear calipers would fit...(Its a brembo 2 piston caliper) They have the same front brembo caliper as the TL.. So that's something to consider.

I personally hate the cast brake calipers..they look crappy, cheap, and just simply suck.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:27 PM
Engineer and Machinist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The local circle track cars run real weak rear brakes because if they had much grip at all it would pull the rear loose.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Our cars have electronic brake distribution force, at least the 6 speed manual, pretty much each wheel gets as much clamping pressure as it needs regulated electronically.. If if one wheel starts slipping due to lock up, or for instance braking on a turn, the inside wheel has the least amount of grip as the weight shifts to the outside wheel..so that would lock up first, so the EBDF would ease the pressure on that caliper..
If uve ever noticed...when ur breaking at low speeds coming to a stop and at the same time you downshift..the assistance from engine braking sets off the system resulting in released pressure to front calipers or whichever wheel has the best grip, and you feel ur brake pedal being pushed back (that's not abs, abs pulsates)

Track cars have more direct braking... Some even disable ABS!
Old 07-21-2009, 01:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Our cars have electronic brake distribution force, at least the 6 speed manual, pretty much each wheel gets as much clamping pressure as it needs regulated electronically.. If if one wheel starts slipping due to lock up, or for instance braking on a turn, the inside wheel has the least amount of grip as the weight shifts to the outside wheel..so that would lock up first, so the EBDF would ease the pressure on that caliper..
If uve ever noticed...when ur breaking at low speeds coming to a stop and at the same time you downshift..the assistance from engine braking sets off the system resulting in released pressure to front calipers or whichever wheel has the best grip, and you feel ur brake pedal being pushed back (that's not abs, abs pulsates)

Track cars have more direct braking... Some even disable ABS! Can't compare our cars with track cars
Old 07-22-2009, 08:46 AM
Burning Brakes

The Cast brake calipers do look pretty bland

I was actually going to paint my Acura Brembo front bracket to Red with (hopefully) gold Acura letters like the regular Brembo color schemes... want to do that just to change it up from other Acura Brembo setups

I was going to then paint my current rear calipers red as well so would also do that if I went with the 2 piston caliper

The more I think about the more it sounds nice but you are right in that it will not really help for street driving.. that and the $$$ will go up because I think I would have to get new rotors as well along with other small pieces that tally up into an acid reflux

oh well... I hope to change my rotors to either Rotora slotted or Brembo and then do the paint change as well... hopefully that will keep me happy for awhile
Old 07-22-2009, 12:53 PM
Bored at work

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well as soon as i finish working out my clutch problems i think am gonna try the evos rear cailpers... i saw one on ebay for 55 bucks....
Old 07-22-2009, 02:12 PM
Burning Brakes

tl2slow - let me know if you need to get new rotors.. and $55 sounds nice!
Old 07-22-2009, 02:37 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by Opel

Track cars have more direct braking... Some even disable ABS! Can't compare our cars with track cars
I've been able to best the ABS by around 10' with the fuse pulled. The TL's ABS seems to be too conservative, especially with a larger sticky tire. For my trip to Willow, I'm definately doing it with no ABS. The only concern is I'm afraid of it wanting to prematurely lock the inside tires entering a corner with the addition of the large swaybars. Time will tell.

Good info on the electronic brake force distribution. I would always leave it on for real life street conditions where one wheel may have much more or less traction than the others. I guess this outweights the fact that the car won't stop as fast in perfect contitions with ABS.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:12 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Rotora makes a rear 2Piston kit for this car, but i believe its 13".... which is BIGGER then the OEM brembos

Dont hack-job some Evo calipers.... not sure about the evo's, but dont forget our cars setup with the Parking brake....
Old 07-23-2009, 04:58 PM
07 WDP TL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have the 4 piston rotora rear, it doesn't mess up the braking and the brakes are incredible save my life couple times
Old 07-23-2009, 06:28 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
^ yea, bigger brakes dont neccesarily "mess" up your distribution.... there is a hydraulic system that keeps everything in check, and the EBD keeps everything stable

I am no auto-mechanic expert.... but TRUST me... everybody on this forum who's been around for a few years, knows that I KNOW about big brake kits, and the 3G TL ...... just search my first 3G (Blackura)
Old 07-23-2009, 09:05 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
this has already been discussed, the conclusion was made that rotora has a front and rear kit..
Old 07-23-2009, 09:30 PM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by stillhere153
this has already been discussed, the conclusion was made that rotora has a front and rear kit..
+1
Old 07-29-2009, 12:05 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
^ yea, bigger brakes dont neccesarily "mess" up your distribution.... there is a hydraulic system that keeps everything in check, and the EBD keeps everything stable

I am no auto-mechanic expert.... but TRUST me... everybody on this forum who's been around for a few years, knows that I KNOW about big brake kits, and the 3G TL ...... just search my first 3G (Blackura)
RIP Blackura..
Old 07-29-2009, 01:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So I can mix Rotora and the Brembos? And it would be fine? I was looking for a replacement for the rear for a while. It just looks funny, especially if you decide to paint them later on.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:40 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY

I wish it were that easy, unfortunately it isn't.

You can't just mix and match brake parts. The EBD is only for panic at the limit stops. Anything less that that like normal daily driving, you have the possiblility of over working, overheating, and prematurely wearing out a set on brake pads on one axle.

This is one area I don't recommend the do it yourself way.

In a nutshell, if you want all 4 big brakes, get the Rotora kit. If you're only looking for the fronts, Brembo, Wilwood, or Rotora will work fine. This was one thing that I had to figure out before I ordered the Wilwoods. Is it worth the savings to never be able to add a BBK in the rear unless Wilwood comes out with them.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^ so in the end... if I have the Brembos, it's best just to leave the rears alone unless I replace all 4? Aw man!....
Old 07-29-2009, 02:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

different calipers will work differently from one another......just cause its a 4 piston caliper doesnt mean much...brembo is one thing, and rotora is another... u shouldn't mix them....yes if u have brembos in the front...leave the rear alone.....ur mainly gonna spend the money on appearance.... TL with front brembos stoped from 60-0 in 120 ft...thats great for a fwd front heavy 3500 lbs sedan.... if u think ur gonna get a big noticable improvement from that by adding big calipers to the rear...u better think about some Wide tires, stiff suspension to prevent nose dive, while slammed to the ground...then youll gain about 5 ft stopping distance

but then, i could do that downshifting while breaking