100 Octane Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 02:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Ha I would try out E85 but that requires a tune and bigger injectors. It would be fun though haha. I GOT ME SOME CORN!
Old 09-14-2009, 03:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by NAiL05
Ha I would try out E85 but that requires a tune and bigger injectors. It would be fun though haha. I GOT ME SOME CORN!
fuel pump must be capable of operating with electrically conductive ethanol instead of non-conducting dielectric gasoline fuel. Fuel injection system should be upgraded to have a wider range of pulse widths to inject about 40% more fuel than pump gas. stainless steel fuel lines, sometimes lined with plastic, and stainless steel fuel tanks in place of terne fuel tanks are used. cars with fuel-tank mounted fuel pumps, additional differences to prevent arcing and flame arrestors positioned in the tank's fill pipe.

huge disadvantage in fuel economy, as more fuel is needed per unit air to get the correct afr to run the engine in comparison with gasoline. This translates to a lower heating value for E85 than gasoline.

so save ur corn lol
Old 09-14-2009, 11:07 PM
practicing nihilist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
yeah, what he said.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
haha yea. E85 burns really cool from what I have noticed. I only have a couple buddies running it but they are pushing over 28psi or so daily.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:58 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 07WDP
I do find it interesting that there are proven gains upon increasing octane. I'd love to get my hands on some dyno graphs or emissions cross sections that exhibit this phenomenon.
The gain comes from the ECU no longer retarding the ignition timing so much. The fuel itself, as you have pointed out, doesn't add any power whatsoever.

I have yet to notice any pinging at 91 octane. I would be surprised if anyone here has pinging at 91 octane assuming a properly tuned and clean engine. Acura might be octane greedy, but they aren't stupid, and they know what premium gas is in the country the car was designed for. If you're pinging at 91, you might have carbon buildup in the cylinders, which, by the way, can be caused by running gas with a too-high octane rating. If the fuel doesn't completely burn in the power stroke, you end up depositing unburned bits of carbon on the cylinders. Once you get enough carbon buildup, it retains heat from the fuel burns - enough heat to cause the fuel/air mix to explode prematurely, which causes the pinging.

I'd be interested to see the opinion of an actual Acura engineer here, because it wouldn't surprise me at all if the guys running 100 octane or 97 octane mixes are actually messing up their engines.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by shadowkahn
The gain comes from the ECU no longer retarding the ignition timing so much. The fuel itself, as you have pointed out, doesn't add any power whatsoever.

I have yet to notice any pinging at 91 octane. I would be surprised if anyone here has pinging at 91 octane assuming a properly tuned and clean engine. Acura might be octane greedy, but they aren't stupid, and they know what premium gas is in the country the car was designed for. If you're pinging at 91, you might have carbon buildup in the cylinders, which, by the way, can be caused by running gas with a too-high octane rating. If the fuel doesn't completely burn in the power stroke, you end up depositing unburned bits of carbon on the cylinders. Once you get enough carbon buildup, it retains heat from the fuel burns - enough heat to cause the fuel/air mix to explode prematurely, which causes the pinging.

I'd be interested to see the opinion of an actual Acura engineer here, because it wouldn't surprise me at all if the guys running 100 octane or 97 octane mixes are actually messing up their engines.
its not the pinging that anyone complains about, its the ECU pulling timing cause of it. You wont notice pinging, because it is not that drastic, but simply because of it, timing is being pulled, and car will run worse, especially at low end...this happens during hot days.
Just so you know, the motor runs completely lean while in closed loop, and below 3000-3200 rpm, and on any given hot day, ECU will pull enough timing to make the car pretty sluggish.....what everyone is talking about here is that running higher octane, will stop the ECU from pulling timing, therefore you will end up with its full potential...they're not trying to make additional power by running higher octane.
and by the way, higher octane will BURN fairly well in 11.0:1 compression, with proper spark.
they dont have any exessive levels of carbon build up...they dont even run higher octane fuel...theyre just talking about the differences it would make.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:40 AM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Silly question but I dont know, why does warm weather affect the engine, or why would you want to wait for a 105F day to run higher octane fuel?
Old 08-14-2011, 09:50 AM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
Hot air is less than cold air, so the engine makes less power in hot days. Combine that with pulling lots of timing and you get worse performance