05 6MT TL Rebuild - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Notices

05 6MT TL Rebuild

Old 02-02-2019, 11:06 PM

05 6MT TL Rebuild

Hello fellow TL lovers and Acura admirers.
Iím a new memeber here and was not sure where to post my thread, so if it is in the wrong place, I wont be butt hurt if some who DOES know, moves this post to the appropriate area.
My affair with the TL started back in 06 in high school, when I first saw the 3G TL and it was love at first sight. I decided that I WILL have that car as soon as I got a job.
Fast forward to April of 08.
I had a 99 Honda Accord Coupe that kept on having a new oil leak, even after all the seals and gaskets have been replaced, so I got fed up, went to the local Honda dealer and traded the Accord in for an 05 6MT TL. I bought it with roughly 36k miles in mint condition, and have not looked back since.
It was the first car that I bought on my own and from day 1 she was treated like a queen.
Mods started happening almost instantly. Windows were tinted to 20% 3 days later and an Injen CAI was installed 2 weeks after the purchase. The worst mod was me, being on a budget at the time, I cut the springs, instead of byuing coilovers or lowering springs (dont ever go that route) and immediately regretted it. 6 months later the cut springs started sagging and the ride became unbearable, so I purchased some H&R Sport lowering springs, Skunk2 upper control arms up front and ACP rear camber arms to make sure my camber was adjusted along with the lowering.
The ride quality was instantly better, and the car stopped bouncing uncontrollably in corners and on bumps.
Next, I opted for the lightweight Underdrive pulley by UR. I have heard many mixed theories and debates on that mod, but, today my TL has just under 195k miles and I have never had an issue with the car itself. EVER.
Other mods on this car are RV6 high flow cats with a catless RV6 J-Pipe, 08 Type S struts, CT rear sway bar, CT short shifter, Type S rear taillights, Type S rear side markers, A-Spec lip kit all the way around, 07+ front bumper, fogs and grilles, aftermarket headlights with white side reflectors, custom paint job, and last but not least, staggered wheel setup using Varrstoen ES2 wheels with Continental DWS tires.
The main reason I still have this car, is simple. Its reliability and its looks. 10 years after they stopped manufacting this car, it still looks good inside and out. Many friends and family members of mine had many different cars in the same time period (mostly european cars with me being a rushki) all have replaced at least 2-3 or even more cars within the last almost 11 years. I am alittle different, as I tend to be a little sentimental with all my things, but if something gives me too much headache, I will replace it too. This car, is simply so reliable that I had no reason to want to replace it.
Letís move on to the fun stuff.
Roughly at 191k miles I let a good friend of mine drive the car. He has not driven a manual car for some time and we just decided to remember the good Ďol days when all we drove had a manual trans in it. He ends up mis-shifting. Put it in 3rd instead of 5th near the top of 4th gear and, you guessed it, bent my exhaust valves. I couldnít be too mad at him since I was in the passenger seat and was ok with him putting her through the paces. Besides, I have had a bug in my head for a while about doing some work on the heads to extract a little more power from the engine anyway, so what better excuse than bent valves huh?
This is where this thread really begins. The rebuilding of my engine and transmission. I will post a new thread to continue the details of the rebuild.
The Following User Says Thank You to seroshka1 For This Useful Post:
teh CL (02-03-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 08:26 AM
Rotrex + Comptech TLer

Subscribed! This guy sounds like heís accually going to go through with it!
Old 02-03-2019, 09:58 AM

You should consider doing dropping in a J35A6 from a 05' Odyssey (LX/EX models only) while you have it all apart. It's a direct drop in and you most definitely won't regret it. Those motors are beyond affordable as well.

Here's some info on the swap, did the same swap on my 05' 6spd..

J35A6 Swap info

Good luck either way..
Old 02-07-2019, 07:13 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by teh CL View Post
You should consider doing dropping in a J35A6 from a 05' Odyssey (LX/EX models only) while you have it all apart. It's a direct drop in and you most definitely won't regret it. Those motors are beyond affordable as well.

Here's some info on the swap, did the same swap on my 05' 6spd..

J35A6 Swap info

Good luck either way..

what he said. Or slap some j35 or j37 heads on it and call it a day
Old 02-07-2019, 08:03 PM
Registered Member

Are you planning on just rebuilding the motor for reliability or going with the Forced Induction route? Either case, I would like to see where you end up.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:57 AM
Registered Member

Subscribing to this, similar story starting with a 93 accord, and never left the honda/acura series after that, but have a 3.2 04 that needs some love in restoration both engine and transmission before I swap all the parts from my previous J build. Excited to see what you do, and maybe put in my 2c from past restorations of these engines. VERY curious about the transmission rebuild, I feel like these transmissions could hold 4-500 with ease and no wear with the right upgrade parts during a rebuild but have no idea where to start.

A valve job, new valves, new valve stems, decking the block, and swapping the cams to mdx hollow cams, and swapping the valve springs for TL-S springs is what I ended up doing when I bent my valves. I also ported and polished the head, but that's overkill for anyone who doesn't port all the time. I felt a SIGNIFICANT change swapping those heads back on to even just a 3.0 with some extra tuning and love. Heads are the one area you really get what you pay for.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:32 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by oraclem20 View Post
Subscribing to this, similar story starting with a 93 accord, and never left the honda/acura series after that, but have a 3.2 04 that needs some love in restoration both engine and transmission before I swap all the parts from my previous J build. Excited to see what you do, and maybe put in my 2c from past restorations of these engines. VERY curious about the transmission rebuild, I feel like these transmissions could hold 4-500 with ease and no wear with the right upgrade parts during a rebuild but have no idea where to start.

A valve job, new valves, new valve stems, decking the block, and swapping the cams to mdx hollow cams, and swapping the valve springs for TL-S springs is what I ended up doing when I bent my valves. I also ported and polished the head, but that's overkill for anyone who doesn't port all the time. I felt a SIGNIFICANT change swapping those heads back on to even just a 3.0 with some extra tuning and love. Heads are the one area you really get what you pay for.

swap in j37a1 heads, runners, injectors and go.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:49 AM
Rotrex + Comptech TLer

Hey Seroshka serduchka, you live in Washington/PDX? Letís get together sometime. Iíll show you my builds!