[Help] Determining Exhaust Modification

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 07:43 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[Help] Determining Exhaust Modification

Hey everyone, I am new and looking forward to this forum! There are a lot of TL's enthusiasts, like myself, and I would like to share what kind of mods I would like to do with you guys on my 2004 TL.
After reading about 30 pages on exhaust mod and the types of stages, I am debating between Stages 3 and 4.
From what I can tell, people tend to avoid Stage 4 from fear of being categorized as a "ricer".
In my opinion, I love the sound of Stage 4. However, videos aren't that reliable.
Based on one of the threads I saw, Stage 4 consists of replacing the mid-muffler and resonator with 2.5" Straight Pipes.

I have also heard that straight piping is illegal?

Reason I am probably sticking with Stage 4 is that I am not planning on installing a CAI anytime soon. (Too expensive with the economy.) Also, not really sure which Dynomax resonator fits in the 2004 TL.
Which leads to one thing I have been wondering about. Between a Dynomax Resonator or Straight Pipe, which alternative would be cheaper?
Which leads to another question:
Where do you buy a 2.5" Straight Pipe and how much does it cost?
(Or is it available at a local muffler shop?)

I am sorry that I have typed up an "essay"
But I think this covers mostly of what I have been questioning about. I listed my concerns because I couldn't find the solution anywhere on previous threads. If it has already been listed, I'm sorry :P

Old 11-16-2009, 08:07 PM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
theres nuttin illegal in my book... for a 2.5 pipe go to ur local muffler shop they have them trust me
Old 11-16-2009, 08:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ABP_04TL
theres nuttin illegal in my book... for a 2.5 pipe go to ur local muffler shop they have them trust me

Haha, I like your signature: "If it ain't modded, it ain't right"
But yeah, I assumed a local shop would have it, the next question is, how much for the pipes?

What would you guys estimate on how long it would take to replace the mid muffler and resonator with straight pipes and the cost?

Once again, I am sorry to overwhelm you guys with my questions
Old 11-16-2009, 08:47 PM
a baller

Don't straightpipe. I did the exact same thing in July. I replaced the resonator with a dynomax resonator and straightpiped with 2.5 inch pipe at a local midas. It cost me about $200 for everything. It sounds great but the drone is awful, especially on the highway. Plus I got a CEL.

Instead, buy a TSUDO exhaust for $400 bucks shipped.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:22 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by tucbryanker
Don't straightpipe. I did the exact same thing in July. I replaced the resonator with a dynomax resonator and straightpiped with 2.5 inch pipe at a local midas. It cost me about $200 for everything. It sounds great but the drone is awful, especially on the highway. Plus I got a CEL.

Instead, buy a TSUDO exhaust for $400 bucks shipped.

See, I probably would consider your idea, but the reason I am going with straight pipe and keeping my stock exhaust is because I have no money.
So far straight piping is the best alternative to get that aggressive sound without spending too much.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:27 PM
Instructor

I had an interesting conversation with this dude (online) and he says with the straight pipes, I could fail the emission testing...
From the threads here, most people says it will just have effect on sound.
I'm pretty sure the people on this thread are right, but can someone confirm it?
Old 11-16-2009, 10:51 PM
a baller

I have no idea, I'm in michigan.

But please, trust me. If this is your daily driver the drone is terrible, you will regret it after a few months. Just do "Stage 3" and cut midmuffler and replace the resonator.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:15 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by tucbryanker
I have no idea, I'm in michigan.

But please, trust me. If this is your daily driver the drone is terrible, you will regret it after a few months. Just do "Stage 3" and cut midmuffler and replace the resonator.
Yeah, I have been doing lots of reading on this website about people's experiences and so far, Stage 3 seems the best choice.
My question now is : Where can I buy a dynomax resonator?
Actually, which resonator would you guys recommend and where can I find one?
Old 11-17-2009, 12:00 AM
Instructor

Ok, spent over 1 hour reading through this one thread, which many people have commented on, and it seems like I am going to stick with this for the resonator:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WL...5&autoview=sku

That would be the Dynomax 2.25

Now, the straight pipe at the local shops, how exactly do I ask them about the straight pipes?
Do I say, 2.5 inch wide straight pipes?

Yeah, I am very new with all this exhaust and stuff, but the thread by aznbo has really informed me and got me all tempted to go with this mod. :P