You guys will never believe this... 3" soft dome mid

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 12:22 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
You guys will never believe this... 3" soft dome mid

I couldn't sleep last night so I was on woofersetc looking at some products. Being unfamiliar with most car audio setups, the 3" soft dome mids caught my attention. Specifically the Morel CDM-88 for $299.99. I was going to post on here this morning to get opinons and to figure out if it's possible to integrate these into my existing components to possibly get a little more detailed sound.

So I woke up this morning and had a dream that I had ordered them. When I got to work something told me to check my account so I did and I literally ordered them in my sleep.

I guess I can always return them unopened if need be and eat the shipping charge.

Any opinions on these? First off, can they be made to work? I have a 6 channel amp with two channels not being used. I'm assuming at a minimum I would have to buy some crossovers and ditch the crossovers that came with the IDs.... Maybe I'll just send them back, this may be over my head.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:32 PM
Acura drove me away too..

Received 107 Likes on 66 Posts
Check out this website... diymobileaudio.com!!! Guys over there are using 4" midranges!!!
Old 05-28-2009, 05:09 PM
Team Owner

By the not believing it part, I was referring to the fact that my dumb ass ordered a set of speakers in the middle of the night and I have absolutely no memory of it.

So far what I've found is it looks like they're ok to use with an existing 2-way system and they don't have to be used with a dedicated 3-way.

Mounting them up high in the door panels is a bad idea.

Going with the stock appearing theme, I was thinking of trying to mount them in the stock door grill over the 6.5" but I'll have to see how big they are when they get here. With a 1" mounting depth it might work. The side tray may be another option. Supposedly off axis is not a problem.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:31 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
By the not believing it part, I was referring to the fact that my dumb ass ordered a set of speakers in the middle of the night and I have absolutely no memory of it.

So far what I've found is it looks like they're ok to use with an existing 2-way system and they don't have to be used with a dedicated 3-way.

Mounting them up high in the door panels is a bad idea.

Going with the stock appearing theme, I was thinking of trying to mount them in the stock door grill over the 6.5" but I'll have to see how big they are when they get here. With a 1" mounting depth it might work. The side tray may be another option. Supposedly off axis is not a problem.
I knew you had in itch comming, well hate to say this. it came Morel's are one of the highest drivers that you can get, yeah there are better one out there but for the price they are very good.

they usually are pretty big even the smaller driver's are deep. as far as the price goes well you do get what you pay for sorta. but I would probably get them of this site instead

as far as the power goes, they starf for it. meaning the more you give it the better they sound. in reality your amp should not have issues to drive them.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:43 PM
Instructor

by the way for me, this is the best set http://www.woofersetc.com/p4752/Elat...ent-System.htm
powered by http://ampguts.realmofexcursion.com/...x_Gold_MS2250/
Old 05-28-2009, 09:04 PM
Team Owner

Where does it end?!?! A few months ago I would've laughed at spending $1,500 on components. Now I'm thinking of doing it. Just like everything else I've done, it starts out as a hobby and becomes an obsession.

Any suggestions on the placement of the mids? I'm leaning toward placing it next to the 6.5" door speaker. Any issues with this? I'm not looking to build custom a-pillars or any other blatanly non-stock looking setup.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:50 PM
Instructor

Where does it end?!?! A few months ago I would've laughed at spending $1,500 on components. Now I'm thinking of doing it. Just like everything else I've done, it starts out as a hobby and becomes an obsession.

Any suggestions on the placement of the mids? I'm leaning toward placing it next to the 6.5" door speaker. Any issues with this? I'm not looking to build custom a-pillars or any other blatanly non-stock looking setup.
it does not end... it is just a beginning. if you recall in any of my post, I usually start with. how much you want to blow into this? I tried to warn you, but you kept stating just an amp and some speakers.... do not mean to be rude here.

do not laught.... but I blew over 10g's. into one of my installs.

any how, to put those into doors it will be very challenging, especially if you want to make it look stock. basically once again there is no way to say this except ->this will get expansive.... especially, if you will pay someone to do this.

you are looking into redoing the whole door panel. not that you could not do it, but to make it look right... it will take time, also you have to have proper tools for this as well.

I would strongly sugest that you register and read and ask as many questions on this site.

then make up your mind if you want to takle this or pay someone.

there is really no easy way around this.

by the way, I smell better cables, around the corner.... know what I mean?
Old 05-28-2009, 10:07 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by fade2blk
it does not end... it is just a beginning. if you recall in any of my post, I usually start with. how much you want to blow into this? I tried to warn you, but you kept stating just an amp and some speakers.... do not mean to be rude here.
No offense taken. I should know better, knowing myself. When I bought the GN I wanted a 13 second car. Ended up with a 10 second car and it should go 10-ohs next time out. Same with my guns. Same with my bike. The unfortunate thing is I don't set a high enough goal, get bored, and keep upgrading my upgrades. One thing that has made the difference though is I no longer have a girlfriend. That has freed up some serious cash and time.

do not laught.... but I blew over 10g's. into one of my installs.

any how, to put those into doors it will be very challenging, especially if you want to make it look stock. basically once again there is no way to say this except ->this will get expansive.... especially, if you will pay someone to do this.

you are looking into redoing the whole door panel. not that you could not do it, but to make it look right... it will take time, also you have to have proper tools for this as well.

I would strongly sugest that you register and read and ask as many questions on this site.

then make up your mind if you want to takle this or pay someone.

there is really no easy way around this.

by the way, I smell better cables, around the corner.... know what I mean?
I want to do it myself since it's more satisfying. I have a lot to learn but I have pretty good common sense.

Forget the fabrication, is the lower door panel next to the stock mids ok sound wise?

Would it be a horrible idea to place them on the tunnel facing the doors?

Going to start reading up and educating myself. It would probably be a good idea to order a new door panel now because odds are I'm going to screw at least one up.

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-28-2009, 10:23 PM
Instructor

you see this is a hobby. some just throw a pair of speakers and are happy with. some throw an amp and totally satisfied with. but us, we are way past that.

speaker placement is a huge deal. and I really can not answer if that will be optimal spot for them. it is a trial and error. meaning, more then likely you will do custom one's at some point. but a 1/3 parameric eq, can solve weird dips. or should I say unproper locations.

to answer your question, yes you could but will you be happy?

as far as getting another pannel, I would hold of on that idea...

at some point, pull one of the panels off. take pictures of bare door and post them on this site and the one I mentioned above. and see what others will sugest.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:21 AM
Team Owner

One of the goals is to keep it looking stock because I'm living in an apartment for another 3 months so no garage. This is one reason I'm leaning away from the pillars or even dash.

I think I'm going to buy some two sided tape and try different locations.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:54 AM
Instructor

One of the goals is to keep it looking stock because I'm living in an apartment for another 3 months so no garage. This is one reason I'm leaning away from the pillars or even dash.

I think I'm going to buy some two sided tape and try different locations.
try to seal rear of the driver, If you will try it with the tape.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:01 AM
Pro

try to seal rear of the driver, If you will try it with the tape.
run the DLS mid ranges..sealed rear chambers...these drivers sound awesome...

http://www.dls.se/en/car/prod.html?produkt=en_162

but really...too much going on in the car is bad thing...the more individual drivers that you have...the more path length differences cause cancellation and standin waves...no bueno for SQ my friend...keep the drivers as close together as possible...

if you're gonna do it..cut the dash mang!

go big or go home..you totally know that you're gonna do it...do it right the first time! or just give me your car and a fist full o' cash and i'll build it for you!!

-Jason
Old 05-30-2009, 12:48 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CSWBiggs
run the DLS mid ranges..sealed rear chambers...these drivers sound awesome...

http://www.dls.se/en/car/prod.html?produkt=en_162

but really...too much going on in the car is bad thing...the more individual drivers that you have...the more path length differences cause cancellation and standin waves...no bueno for SQ my friend...keep the drivers as close together as possible...

if you're gonna do it..cut the dash mang!

go big or go home..you totally know that you're gonna do it...do it right the first time! or just give me your car and a fist full o' cash and i'll build it for you!!

-Jason
You can have the car for a week......

Still want the box too. I tried my hand at wood working and it didn't come out too good.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:07 PM
Pro

You can have the car for a week......

Still want the box too. I tried my hand at wood working and it didn't come out too good.

lol...i need to finish my ride first...too long in the making..ahaha..

show me some pics of your bandpass enclosure!

-Jason

also check out my build thread...got some new tricks up my sleeve
Old 05-30-2009, 09:31 PM
Team Owner

-Jason

LOL. I may get up the courage to post pics later on. It's not pretty but it's a huge improvement over the sealed box. No rattles, had to cut the gain by nearly half to balance it and it's it plays everything from tight country and rock bass to rap well.

I learned a lot. I didn't round off the port edges so at high volumes there's a little port noise. There are many advantages to your design, especially the way it fits in the car. I don't have the skills to cut angles so it takes up more trunk space than it has to since it won't go flat against the rear seat. Biggest newb mistake ever...... The first design didn't fit into the car.... I should not admit that lol.

I saw your other thread. That stuff is so far over my head I just laugh when I see it. Nice stuff though.

I do realize now that this is an obsession so I'm trying to learn as much as I can and buy only quality components even if it means an extra month or two in saving up.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:59 AM
Instructor

I do realize now that this is an obsession so I'm trying to learn as much as I can and buy only quality components even if it means an extra month or two in saving up.
Bingo you got it now, not that you haven't.... lol. yeah good components go a long way.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:43 PM
Team Owner

So, um, what about waveguides?
Old 06-01-2009, 09:55 PM
Instructor

So, um, what about waveguides?
they are nice, but very hard to incorporate into the vehicle.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:20 AM
Team Owner

-Jason

I had a funny incident today in a parking lot related to the bandpass box.

I had all the windows down and sunroof open trying to get the car to cool off. A friend put Aerosmith's Sweet Emotion on and cranked it. The next thing I know I had a group of people around the car asking how I got such clean bass and how much dynamat I'm using for it to not rattle at that level. They looked surprised that it was a bandpass box and no dynamat in the back.

This thing has come so far from before. Half the power to the subs, no rattles inside or out with no dynamat, much, much, much cleaner, deeper, detailed bass, and it really carries outside of the car with the windows down yet it's very quiet with the windows up.

Then I get behind a guy in a beat up Accord with a license plate frame that says "I can hear yours but you can feel mine". This thing was fairly loud but it was hard to hear the bass from all the rattling from various bodypanels and the license plate. I turned the gain up real quick, put it on the TI CD, rolled all the windows down, and completely drowned him out all the while rattle free and 10X the SQ of the Accord. This truly is the (ghetto version) miracle box for the TL.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:13 AM
Pro

I had a funny incident today in a parking lot related to the bandpass box.

I had all the windows down and sunroof open trying to get the car to cool off. A friend put Aerosmith's Sweet Emotion on and cranked it. The next thing I know I had a group of people around the car asking how I got such clean bass and how much dynamat I'm using for it to not rattle at that level. They looked surprised that it was a bandpass box and no dynamat in the back.

This thing has come so far from before. Half the power to the subs, no rattles inside or out with no dynamat, much, much, much cleaner, deeper, detailed bass, and it really carries outside of the car with the windows down yet it's very quiet with the windows up.

Then I get behind a guy in a beat up Accord with a license plate frame that says "I can hear yours but you can feel mine". This thing was fairly loud but it was hard to hear the bass from all the rattling from various bodypanels and the license plate. I turned the gain up real quick, put it on the TI CD, rolled all the windows down, and completely drowned him out all the while rattle free and 10X the SQ of the Accord. This truly is the (ghetto version) miracle box for the TL.
Would I steer anyone wrong?

-Jason
Old 06-09-2009, 09:40 AM
Team Owner

Would I steer anyone wrong?

-Jason
Well I left out the part about getting flipped off and it almost turning into a fight lol.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:03 AM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

something like this would look

Old 06-09-2009, 11:26 AM
Pro

http://motormusicmag.com/news/11/22/...Three-way.html

read article above...and tell me what u think now

-Jason