Windows XP install

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 09:54 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windows XP install

So I will be installing Windows XP on my system, but would like to have a highly watered down version so I can minimize boot times. Something on the order of 15-30 seconds to boot up would be ideal. Here is the PC I will be installing in my car:

http://store.mo-co-so.com/complete-c...7-cpu-p-5.html

Any suggestions?
Old 03-02-2008, 11:31 PM
now with four rings

some quick tips off the top of my head...

-turn off all button, taskbar, window, etc. styles...meaning change it so the taskbar is boring gray...there's no smooth cosmetic looks to windows whatsoever...

-right-click anywhere on your desktop in an open area -> appearance tab -> effects...uncheck what isn't necessary...

-in folder options, uncheck 'automatically search for network folders and printers'...

-right-click my computer -> properties -> advanced tab -> performance settings...uncheck almost everything in there...you should be able to tell which ones are there to 'enhance' windows...turn those off...

-also on the my computer properties window, turn off automatic updates and i always turn off system restore...

-in the run box (start menu -> run), type msconfig...under services, uncheck windows firewall, security center, automatic updates and anything else you don't want windows to load...now under the startup tab, uncheck all the programs you don't want windows to load...just keep the necessities checked...

-in the run box, type regedit...now clicking the + signs next to each group: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Se ssion Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters...now double-click EnablePrefetcher and make the hexadecimal value a 2 (for boot only)...if EnablePrefetcher isn't there, create it...right-click anywhere in white area -> new -> DWORD Value -> name it EnablePrefetcher -> enter hexadecimal value of 2...

that's about all i've got right now...
Old 03-03-2008, 05:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Try hibernating it instead of shutting it down. It may be faster.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:00 AM
3.2 VTEC

swapping out the hard drive for a faster one might be a good idea...also mabe you can upgrade to 1gb of ram.

there isn't really a watered down version....unless you use xp service pack 1 which is blazing fast compared to service pack 2, i've had a slow pc with a fresh copy of sp1 boot up in 13-15 seconds to the desktop...and i bet that one could do it too.

thing is, sp1 is not compatible with a lot of things and u'll most likely get the urge of upgrading to sp2...which will install a lot of stuff and make your system about 3x slower to boot up...i suggest update everything and have it running properly, then fight the speed with a faster hard drive and more ram.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:11 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by King of Pain
Try hibernating it instead of shutting it down. It may be faster.
Do I need a separate battery for the 'puter to hibernate? I am under the impression that once I pull out the key from the ignition it all shuts down. I suppose I could take the extra ten seconds and select hibernate before shutting off the car.

I will probably keep on SP1 at this point, my web surfing will be limited to Panera parking lots and looking up quick directions/info. Honestly, has anyone had their carputer hacked into?

I thought 512 MB on SATA would be enough to run old XP. In fact, it should be more than enough. WHy do you think the HD is not fast enough?

HS
Old 03-03-2008, 02:36 PM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
hibernate will not work for carputer. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XPLite
Old 03-03-2008, 06:57 PM
Instructor

Hibernation works fine in a CarPC, I do it in mine just fine. If you are installing a CarPC use a DC-DC power supply, they have an integrated shutdown controller which will automatically turn the PC on and off via a switched ign 12v remote wire (or hibernate if you have windows set to hibernate) so you never have to press any buttons manually. You do not need any extra batteries.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I use hibernate on my CarPC. About 20 seconds to go into hibernation and about 25 seconds to come out. It's great because it will return to exactly where is was at, GPS, frontend, song playing, etc. No extra batteries. At the bottom of the second article is a little trick I use to have it go to hiberate when I turn the car off.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...02march25.mspx

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,10...2/article.html