Who else is pretty impressed with the ELS system?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 10:15 AM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
[QUOTE=anykey;13298615]I have not tried a DVD A, but will pick something up in this format. Dark Side of the Moon sounds like a great place to start./QUOTE]

Anykey, I'm sorry to say that Dark Side of the Moon is not available in DVD Audio. They did make that LP in SACD, but if I remember correctly, it never came out in DVD-A.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:46 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I think this is somewhat on topic....

I went to a meet this weekend and got to listen to the "Magic Bus". I believe this is the guy that's going to tune my car so I was interested in how it sounds... He has one DVD-A disk with only one song on it because that's all that fits. It has no compression at all, it's a studio disk that can't be distributed but it can be demoed. It was a live recording and the difference is realism is unreal. Between the system it was playing on and the recording, it's the only time I've been able to close my eyes and really believe I was at a live event.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:28 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
[QUOTE=Steven Bell;13301698]
Originally Posted by anykey
I have not tried a DVD A, but will pick something up in this format. Dark Side of the Moon sounds like a great place to start./QUOTE]

Anykey, I'm sorry to say that Dark Side of the Moon is not available in DVD Audio. They did make that LP in SACD, but if I remember correctly, it never came out in DVD-A.
Actually, this is no longer correct with the new remaster that came out late last month. The "Immersion Edition" of Dark Side of the Moon includes a DVD-Audio disc with five different mixes:

James Guthrie 2003 5.1 Surround Mix (previously released only on SACD) in standard resolution audio at 448 kbps

James Guthrie 2003 5.1 Surround Mix (previously released only on SACD) in high resolution audio at 640 kbps

LPCM Stereo mix (same as on the CD)

Alan Parsons Quad Mix (previously released only on vinyl LP/8 track tape in 1973) in standard resolution audio at 448 kbps

Alan Parsons Quad Mix (previously released only on vinyl LP/8 track tape in 1973) in high resolution audio at 640 kbps

Only thing is, you can only get the DVD-A as part of the aforementioned "Immersion Edition," which is a six-disc boxed set that includes the following:

Disc 1—CD, remastered by James Guthrie in 2011
Disc 2—CD of live performance of the album at Wembley in 1974 (previously unreleased)
Disc 3—DVD-A as described above
Disc 4—DVD-Video with a couple of concert films and a documentary
Disc 5—Blu-ray containing both audio and video of much of the material on the other discs
Disc 6—CD containing a bunch of unreleased alternate mixes

Quite frankly, I'd like the DVD-A but otherwise it seems a little like Pink Floyd overload to me! Plus for me money is tight right now and the price is off-putting: Music Direct list the "Immersion Edition" for $129.99.

Similar releases, including DVD-A portions, are forthcoming later this year and early next year for Wish You Were Here and the Wall, respectively. To me, Wish You Were Here is probably the one that is the most interesting just because I think it's the best of the three albums. The Wall will be a seven-disc set; Wish will be five.