Whats wrong with my tvandnav2go

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 08:18 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Whats wrong with my tvandnav2go

So i got this unit because of the positive reviews here. I installed the unit per instruction and is less wires as the diys from before. I then hooked back the battery and image on the screen started with a nice image but a few minutes into the movie small lines started to appear and increasingly becomed distorted. I redid the connections by soldering them and the same thing happens. I sent the unit back to dom and he bench tested it and told me that the unit was fine and that he would replace the harness. So i got the tvandnav2go and resoldered everything and now its worst. The distortion is worst than before and distorted image is scrolling meaning that it would go down and re appear from the top. No matter if i use the dvd or iphone same results. I also plugged the iphone directly to the unit and the image is also distorted, so im assuming that the video cable i ran is fine.

What could be causing all these? I already spent money to send it back and it kinda sucked that i had to pay for the return shipping and recieving back a (assuming) faulty unit.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:20 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by abracing
I also plugged the iphone directly to the unit and the image is also distorted, so im assuming that the video cable i ran is fine.
Please re-phrase this.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:26 PM
Instructor

Instead of using the video cable i ran from doms unit at the trunk. I took the iphone composite cable and plugged it directly to the video output from doms unit. The image at the headunit is the same so im thinking the cable i ran is fine.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:48 PM
ElectroMechanicalEngineer

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
I had similar issues when i first got mine from Dom, had excessive brightness and looked terribly. Got a NEW one re soldered all connections and made sure everything was properly done and it turned out great.

So to me if it image get worse over time, then its a component heating issue in the unit itself (something going out or has malfunctioning to begin with)
Old 05-03-2011, 10:39 PM
Instructor

So to me if it image get worse over time, then its a component heating issue in the unit itself (something going out or has malfunctioning to begin with)
I actually asked about the unit overheating and he said that its unlikely to happen. The thing is the unit i got was new and i should have jst received a new replacement instead of just replacing the cable. Oh well il just call them tomorrow and see what happens.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:45 PM
ElectroMechanicalEngineer

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by abracing
I actually asked about the unit overheating and he said that its unlikely to happen. The thing is the unit i got was new and i should have jst received a new replacement instead of just replacing the cable. Oh well il just call them tomorrow and see what happens.
There is a difference between the unit overheating and a component overheating/going out. The unit itself may be ok...but that doesn't mean everything internally is.

And as you described it (assuming you wired everything totally ok and the screen was fine before) leads me to believe the problem is internal.

My unit was brand new too when i had the excessive brightness, it looked terrible. I was told that they have never had a unit fail..which may be true to some extent but you never NOT have failures, they are just few and far in between.

They sent me a new one once they received my defective one and never got back to me if they had tested it there or not, maybe they did. But im sure they will just send you a new one, if that doesn't work then there is something up on your end.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:16 PM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
Check your ground. Optimally, you want to use a factory ground point. If you can't use a factory ground, look closely to find a suitable location---don't just use any old bolt you find. Check to make sure it has solid contact to the frame of the car. Also, make sure you remove the paint from whatever point you do use to ensure a good metal-to-metal contact.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:28 PM
Instructor

Check your ground. Optimally, you want to use a factory ground point. If you can't use a factory ground, look closely to find a suitable location---don't just use any old bolt you find. Check to make sure it has solid contact to the frame of the car. Also, make sure you remove the paint from whatever point you do use to ensure a good metal-to-metal contact.
Yes, I used the factory ground located above the sat module. I used a ground crimp ring and bolted that together with the other factory grounds. I even soldered it after crimping. i rechecked all wires and cables to make sure nothing is pinched before calling dom.

he's sending out a new unit with cable so hopefully it'll get fixed but if not then i might just go with another unit.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:34 PM
Instructor

Just posting back for how i fixed the lines. It was after all a bad ground. Even if i soldered the ground wire to a ring and tightened it to the factory ground it still wasnt good enough. So what i did was remove the ring and stripped the ground wires from tvandnav2go and wrapped it a little bit on the factory bolt. Tighten it down and tested the dvd for a week to make sure everything checks out ok. Its fixed now so everything is buttoned up. I hope this helps out anyone with same problem.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:38 PM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
Good job! Thanks for posting up your solution.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:27 PM
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
This was the exact problem that I was running into during my install the past few days and the exact same solution. For whatever reason the ground from the DVD player doesn't like a connector. I used a connector for the ground on my NAVTOOL though so I hope that's okay. So far everything is working perfectly for me too. Glad you figured out your problem.