What is your ideal settings for the sound system?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 01:00 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What is your ideal settings for the sound system?

Im coming over from a 2001 infiniti I30 with a stock bose sound system to a 2008 Acura TL Type S with ELS sound system and i have a feeling its just not as loud/clear? hows everyone liking their sound system?

So far i wish the bass was stronger and everything just "louder"... i mean turning the volume up while listening to the radio just doesn't feel "exciting" like it was on my bose sound system...

maybe if i play around the bass and treble settings i can find the sweet spot? anyone have any suggestions for this?

Or what are your suggestions for a good sub for a 2008 TL?
Old 11-18-2014, 11:14 PM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Where do I start, since I'm a car audio guy,

I would go to different shop and see what they could offer you, so you could see what are you options as far as sound system.

I would do 3 way front stage active setup, with DSP and amps in the back. With little of work you could fit 8" mid driver in the front doors, and 4 " by the dash with tweeters, have it time alignment done and proper insulation in the car.

Everything costs money dont get me wrong, your Bose system you think it was good, but i had Bose in my audi and it was thrown out in to a garbage with in 2 weeks because i couldn't stand it.

if you want to adjust base and tweeter sound, not a lot that you could do because of frequencies that these stock speakers play.

for my TL i thought the sound stage is some what good, Tweeters sound good nice and clean, bass could be a little better, but you have to take that in to consideration, you have 8" Bass driver in the rear deck in IB mode. without any box!

Over all TL has a nice sound system, clean, and the factory radio puts out nice clean signal, as most others don't!
Old 11-18-2014, 11:16 PM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Go to well knows car audio shops in your area and see what they tell you, by adding a sub to your trunk wont solve you problem... I'm just saying that from experience.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,307 Posts
OP must be one of them, "All about that BASS, no treble" . I honestly think Bose is garbage for car audio now, the only reason they got great reputation back then because there isn't any one compete with them. But in 2004 Acura TL ELS change all of that, I would pick ELS and Mark Levinston on the top two and Bose is all the way down bottom, it can't even compete with Karman Hardon and other brand use in the UK car.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:51 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well i have zero knowledge is upgrading sound systems, but is there a way i can maybe change the back sub-woofer while keeping it looking stock? Aka disconnection and connecting cables lool
Old 11-20-2014, 11:12 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Although it shouldn't matter what genre you are listening to ... it kinda' does with the TL. Some things really shine and other well, lack. That's really not uncommon a certain system characteristics will play into certain styles of music better. I have swapped out the front stock tweeters and center channel driver for some better components and did notice a improvement but I'd still say the care really lacks clear mids. But that's just my opinion. Not talking format here, CD, DVD-A, mp3, etc but that plays a huge role.

So, even though this probably doesn't translate to you I use Treble:0, Bass: -2, Center: +2, Fade:R1, Sub:+3 and Balance:0 I find the Base:-2 to make the biggest difference. I'm absolutely convinced the door drivers "muddy" up stuff and that helps.

I typically listen to straight rock and blues. CDs, DVD-As and even, gasp, my phone. Obviously the phone is worst and DVD-A best.

So my long way at getting to your question.... why are you convinced you need a bigger sub? If you are looking for "big thump" then I get it. But my findings are that for anything else it's adequate. Especially with DVD-A as its discrete LFE channel really lets the sub work effectively. If you ever get a chance to listen to BB King/Eric Clapton "Riding with the King" or Blue Man Group "Piano Smasher" on DVD-A you will see what I mean. But those are more "more of a deep smooth" low end and not thump-bang. Stock TL ain't gonna do thump-bang.

So for my money I'd probably start with other drivers first before dropping a box in the trunk. But that's just me...
Old 11-21-2014, 04:47 PM
WDP Group!

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Adobeman
Although it shouldn't matter what genre you are listening to ... it kinda' does with the TL. Some things really shine and other well, lack. That's really not uncommon a certain system characteristics will play into certain styles of music better. I have swapped out the front stock tweeters and center channel driver for some better components and did notice a improvement but I'd still say the care really lacks clear mids. But that's just my opinion. Not talking format here, CD, DVD-A, mp3, etc but that plays a huge role.

So, even though this probably doesn't translate to you I use Treble:0, Bass: -2, Center: +2, Fade:R1, Sub:+3 and Balance:0 I find the Base:-2 to make the biggest difference. I'm absolutely convinced the door drivers "muddy" up stuff and that helps.

I typically listen to straight rock and blues. CDs, DVD-As and even, gasp, my phone. Obviously the phone is worst and DVD-A best.

So my long way at getting to your question.... why are you convinced you need a bigger sub? If you are looking for "big thump" then I get it. But my findings are that for anything else it's adequate. Especially with DVD-A as its discrete LFE channel really lets the sub work effectively. If you ever get a chance to listen to BB King/Eric Clapton "Riding with the King" or Blue Man Group "Piano Smasher" on DVD-A you will see what I mean. But those are more "more of a deep smooth" low end and not thump-bang. Stock TL ain't gonna do thump-bang.

So for my money I'd probably start with other drivers first before dropping a box in the trunk. But that's just me...
do u burn music onto a dvd-a?
Old 11-22-2014, 11:54 AM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just put in a Rockford punch 400x4 trans-ana amp(20 year old amp) and a Rockford 500M on a 12" sub in a fiberglass box in the rear corner. I could not believe how much better the factory speakers sounded of a good amplifier. I cut the bass at 80Hz for the fronts and rears so they could play louder without distortion. The amp is the weakest link in our factory system. Soon to be putting Dynaudio in the front doors. I agree with most people on this post, Bose is overrated. you will achieve much better sound with a good amp. Trust me it is worth going through the effort. I am still using the factory radio and used the low level inputs before the amp. Make. sure you use quality RCA's so you do not get noise. This will sound much better than any factory Bose System.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:56 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyordrms
do u burn music onto a dvd-a?
You must be new around here. I don't burn nearly as much as I used to. Search DVDA-GUI and/or Adobinizer. I was kinda' into it big time at one point
Old 11-22-2014, 02:06 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Best stereo setting?

*power off*

Ah. Now you can hear the engine
Old 11-22-2014, 02:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Listen to better music
Old 11-28-2014, 10:34 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bass -2, Treble +4, Sub +2, everything centered including center channel. PL2 on.