What is your best DVD-A disk?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 11:44 PM
FIGHTING ILLINI

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bluenoise
For some reason, though, others have listed it among their favorite discs. To each his own, I guess. Maybe I'm just not enough of a fan of all the songs. Nonetheless, I don't count that disc among my "reference series."
Just for the songs...u should get their Greatest Hits....it's the best CD I have. But like you said...to each his own.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:30 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bluenoise
I have Rumors and am quite disappointed by the wildly vaired quality from track-to-track. It's my understanding some tracks were engineered/produced by different people, hence the sound differences, but I'm less than impressed by this one.
This is not true. It was remixed & engineered by ONE person (whose name escapes me at the moment, maybe Ken Caillet). There was an article in a stereo magazine describing the putting together of this DVD-A. I DO think it's reference quality. Also, it's one of the DVD-A's who's extras play in the TL. Using the dual button push method, you can also access the stereo track & the "commentary" making-of track, which is extremely cool. RSA_secure, buy this disc! You won't be sorry!
Old 03-23-2005, 09:47 AM
loves his TL!

My absolute favorite: Motown by Michael McDonald
Old 03-23-2005, 10:33 AM
Advanced

Beck: Sea Change
The Who: Tommy

Both sound great!
Old 03-23-2005, 10:50 AM
6th Gear

FYI, the new Porcupine Tree cd "Deadwing" will also be released on DVD-A on May 10th.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:15 AM
Intermediate

I think the best demo discs are Linkin Park "Reanimation" and the Crystal Method's "Legion of Boom". I know most of you probably dont dig Electronic music, but the ability to surround you with sounds on the DVD system is amazing. Lots of base and clean sound! ENJOY!
Old 03-23-2005, 02:00 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have the following...

The Doors - L.A. Woman
Linkin PArk - Reanimation
Metallica - Metallica
Stone Temple Pilots - Core
Crystal Method - Legion of Boom (I wish they would get Vegas in DVD-A)
Staind - 14 Shades of Gray
Seal - Best 1991 - 2004

All are quite good!

Joe
Old 03-23-2005, 03:18 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Larry Geller
This is not true. It was remixed & engineered by ONE person (whose name escapes me at the moment, maybe Ken Caillet). There was an article in a stereo magazine describing the putting together of this DVD-A. I DO think it's reference quality. Also, it's one of the DVD-A's who's extras play in the TL. Using the dual button push method, you can also access the stereo track & the "commentary" making-of track, which is extremely cool. RSA_secure, buy this disc! You won't be sorry!
Ah, I seem to be mistaken on the personel involved with the album. I do notice, though, quite a different sound from track to track that seems to indicate different signal paths, production aesthetics, etc. Thanks for the heads-up on the additional features. I'll check that out next time I'm in the car.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:44 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wakattack
Gawd! I just played QUeen's Bohoemian Rapsody,
In surround, and that is some bad mofo #$@

amazing...

I'm not even a queen fan..

But what a great use of surround!

I just bought this one yesterday. not really a queen fan either, the surround mix is way over the top on Bohoemian Rapsody, but it's a great demo track for the surrond format.
Old 03-26-2005, 10:16 AM
Advanced

Picked up the NiN dual disc the other day and I'm definitely impressed. The use of multiple channels is nearly as good as the Linkin Park DVD.
Old 03-26-2005, 01:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Originally Posted by ifrisbee
I just bought this one yesterday. not really a queen fan either, the surround mix is way over the top on Bohoemian Rapsody, but it's a great demo track for the surrond format.
The whole song is over the top! That's the perfect surround mix for it.

Mike
Old 03-28-2005, 02:22 PM
Instructor

Beck, Sea Change - Great smooth full mix and great songs to boot.

The Flaming Lips, Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots - All I can say is wow. I just picked this one up Easter weekend and it's absolutely terrific. The songs are really great, pop music for the older crowd. The surround effects can be a little gimmicky, but the disc is engineered by the guy whose initials are on the Acura's audio system. That can't be a bad thing right?
Old 03-30-2005, 09:33 AM
Racer

i want FRank Sinatra's live cd too....and Marvin Gaye as well
Old 03-30-2005, 09:36 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by MichiganRich
The surround effects can be a little gimmicky
Welcome to the understatement of the century!
Old 03-30-2005, 10:01 AM
Intermediate

My wishlist:

I am a big Dream Theater fan who wishes they would come out with a DVD-A release. In the meantime I will be getting the Porcupine Tree disc as well as Tesla's release.

For those who may be Theater fans as well, wouldn't you love to hear Scenes from New York in DVD-A?
Old 03-30-2005, 10:12 AM
Racer

add David Gray's New Dat at Midnight, to my number one want....anyone got it? sound good?
i love that cd
Old 03-30-2005, 10:35 AM
Racer

HOLY CRAP!!!!?!?!?!?!

ok, i keep adding to things is DVD-a format that i would like cause i am just scrolling through acousticsounds.com.

people, please take my word for it, Trey Anastasio self titled cd is awsome! before you get turned off b/c he WAS the lead singer/lead guitar for Phish, this cd is nothing similar to Phish. i personally hate Phish (no lies), just to jammy and strange for me, but this cd has music for everyone....littl soul, some sweet electric sounds, some great grooves and some sweet beats

do yourself a favor and get this on cd or DVD-a or anything....i havent heard the DVD-A so i have no clue how good or bad it may sound, but the cd is amazing. first time i heard it i deleted it from my computer--now it is one of my favorite cds

on a side not, i wish DMB had some DVD-A (my favorite band)
Old 04-04-2005, 12:08 AM
Instructor

I'm really surprised at no one mentioning Elton Johns wonderfull Goodbye Yellow Brick Road as a fantastic DVD-A title. Especially from Classic Rock fans. GET IT!! The intro with a Funeral for a Friend, starts with a Synthesizer, that just sends chills with the bigness and dynamic range of it. Bennie and the jets starts out sounding like your at a concert. The biggest thing that many people fail to point out about DVD-A, is how much fuller the bass is in classic recordings than in the original CD versions. On another DVD-A I have, Chicago's II, I love to listen to Colour My World. The bass hits after the piano intro, are fantastic!! The flute at the end, sounds like player is right in front of you. You can hear every breath he takes before he plays each note. In another song on the Chicago DVD-A, I forget which off the top of my head, you can actually hear a drum stick dropping. It's simply amazing the clearity of the music.

Some other DVD-A's I enjoy are:
Eagles-Hotel California.....the guitars on the title track at the start, are ear candy, try and see if you can pick out each guitar.
Foreigner-4....the beginning of Juke Box Hero has a great panning around your head of the music.
America-Homecoming......Great music, great clearity
Doobie Bros.- Captain and Me.....same as America's
Crowded House
Beach Boys -Pet Sounds
Queen- Night at the Opera
Old 04-04-2005, 11:16 AM
Advanced

Beck's new album "Guero" is also available in DVD-A, as part of the "special edition" (or whatever you wanna call it, it's in a large white box) package. It's freakin' fantastic. Not as mellow as Sea Change, this is more of the rock/electronic style stuff. The surround mix is by Elliot Scheiner and it's fantastic; not too many gimmicky tricks.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:10 AM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
I second "Guero". Every TL owner, young and old, should hear this one. It's a winner!
Old 04-06-2005, 02:17 AM
Does anyone read this

Well I guess I will try

Crystal Method's "Legion of Boom"
Beck's new album "Guero"
Fleetwood Mac

Where is everyone getting there DVD-A's from? I heard of some online places but forgot their names. Can Anyone help?

Alo how do Metallica - Metallica and Stone Temple Pilots - Core sound?
Old 04-06-2005, 09:59 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Donte99TL
Where is everyone getting there DVD-A's from? I heard of some online places but forgot their names. Can Anyone help?
Here you go - some of the more frequently visited online sites for DVD-A: Acoustic Sounds, DVD Empire, DVD Planet, Digital Eyes, Buy DVD Now, and AIX Records. You can also check here for future releases.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:44 AM
Instructor

I like buying from circuitcity.com They have a huge selection, and good pricing. Free shipping if above a certain price.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:20 PM
Does anyone read this

Thanks guys....
Old 04-11-2005, 02:32 PM
Team Anthracite Peon

Originally Posted by oblio98
Forget Black in Black. I have that DualDisc from the test market period, and side 2 is video, not DVD-A. This is a "SONY" DualDisc, so don't expect to find a DVD-A side (or DTS for that matter)

Sorry

:-jon
Just to reiterate this, do NOT buy the DualDisc titles and expect them to work in our TLs. I made this mistake this weekend (before I read this thread). Side 2 is DVD-Video, not DVD-Audio. So basically you need a DVD video player to listen to the 5.1 songs. The packaging on these discs is not clear about this.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:39 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Xerxes480
Just to reiterate this, do NOT buy the DualDisc titles and expect them to work in our TLs. I made this mistake this weekend (before I read this thread). Side 2 is DVD-Video, not DVD-Audio. So basically you need a DVD video player to listen to the 5.1 songs. The packaging on these discs is not clear about this.

That's not entirely true. The NIN-Downward Spiral is a DualDisc release and the DVD side plays 5.1 surround and hi-rez stereo just fine in my TL. There is also DVD-video content on that side as well.

That said, I *have* heard that several DualDisc releases are just as you said, and only have DVD-Video content on the DVD side.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:26 PM
Safety Car

Check this thread on DualDisc and check this site for reviews of releases in SACD, DVD-A and DualDisc. Click here for more info on DualDisc.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:44 PM
Safety Car

The packaging on these discs is not clear about this.
The info you need to find is located in the area where it shows the logos for the record comapanies and Dolby Digital. Look at the DVD logo and it should state Video or Audio and you may need a magnifier or something to clearly see it. Example: Diana Krall's DualDisc Girl In The Other Room shows Audio/Video under the DVD logo.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:20 PM
Team Anthracite Peon

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
The info you need to find is located in the area where it shows the logos for the record comapanies and Dolby Digital. Look at the DVD logo and it should state Video or Audio and you may need a magnifier or something to clearly see it. Example: Diana Krall's DualDisc Girl In The Other Room shows Audio/Video under the DVD logo.
Gotcha....thanks.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:10 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
Also look for the "Advanced Resolution" logo, or MLP logo. If you see either of these, and it is NOT ON A SONY LABEL, then it is probably a DVD-A. Examples are Keane, NIN, & Simple Plan.

THE NEW BRUCE SPRINGTEEN DualDisc IS NOT A DVD-A - so don't even think about playing the DVD side in the TL. (it's a Sony)
Old 04-11-2005, 05:36 PM
Intermediate

I got the new Fleetwood Mac DVD-A, Say You Will, which is my favorite.

I have a very high end AV system at home, and I never once picked up a DVD-A. Actually, I didn't know anything about them. Well, I put in the Audi demonstration disk, and was blown away by the sound. Then I read up on DVD-A, and I just went out and purchased 10 discs to play at home and in the car.

I've always thought that music from MP3 and XM Radio was pathetic. 100-200 kbps and all those compression artifacts. CD's never impressed me, but I just couldn't stick with vinyl albums, because, even though the sound was alive and subtle, the scratches were annoying.

The sound from the DVD-A's is as close to vinyl as I have ever heard. It sounds almost analog on my home audio, with a beautiful 3-d sound. In my TL, I just can't get enough of the quality of music that I am hearing. It is nearly perfect.

I need to read audio magazines or something, because I feel like a poser for not knowing anything about this format until I bought an Acura.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:13 AM
Instructor

For Those interested in creating thier own DVD-A disks, check out what Sonic has:
http://www.sonic.com/products/dac/
It's a DVD-Audio Creator software.
Old 04-20-2005, 06:17 PM
Intermediate

My DVD-A's in play

I have the demo disk for purposes of showing riders the difference of the surround sound. Also Fleetwood Mac's Rumours is a classic. Don't waste time on Fourplay's DVD-A album because the quality is bad.

My favorite, however, is Jane Monheit, Never Never Land. It's jazz and you have to be ready for it, but her vocals are the best I have heard in a long, long time. This voice is special!! Someone with this talent and only 26 years old is unbelievable. Not hard on the eyes either. Worth a listen to, even if not in DVD-A.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:07 AM
i am trying to believe

Nine Inch Nails - Closer

but soon to be the new Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth

besides that all I have is the demo disc

~ B.Good
Old 04-21-2005, 02:22 PM
41 43 55 52 41 20 54 4C

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so has anyone tried making a DVD-A yet?? are the songs divided up into tracks the same way an audio CD is? so, in otherwords... will we start seeing (might already be there, havent looked) multi-hundred meg files on the net that are one song in DVD-A format??
Old 04-21-2005, 02:44 PM
aw1
Pro

usher & avril lavigne. both are dual disc.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:00 PM
Advanced

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by littlechoppa
I bought the OutKast cd "Stankonia". It sounds pretty good, but I like my Seal cd the best.

I purchased the latest Seal DVD album and compared it to the standard stereo version and was very dissapointed. In my opinion whoever mixed the surround version did a poor job. The vocals are too far back in the mix and its missing the punch and energy normally associated with Seal's recordings. My impression is the mix was used to show off surround sound effects and not support the music, too gimmicky. Not saying the cd version is perfect but in this case much preffered over the DVD version. I found the demo disc to be fantastic, not a surprise that Elliot Scheiner designed the system and mixed these tracks to perfection.

I would be curios if others have done direct comparisons bewteen the DVD and CD versions of the same album and what their reviews are. I have not found a good source for reviews on DVD audio recordings. Any other direct comparisons would be appreciated..

Peter
Old 04-21-2005, 07:51 PM
Safety Car

Peter, Audio Revolution provides in-depth reviews and Digital Audio Guide has customer reviews.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:41 PM
2015 Advance

Originally Posted by mp3car
so has anyone tried making a DVD-A yet?? are the songs divided up into tracks the same way an audio CD is? so, in otherwords... will we start seeing (might already be there, havent looked) multi-hundred meg files on the net that are one song in DVD-A format??
There are other threads about making your own DVD-A, but in a nutshell, DiscWelder Bronze or the Sonic app seem to be the software of choice.

I use DiscWelder for burning 5.1 discs from DVD concerts. My first one was Peter Gabriel's Secret World Live.

I haven't had the time to rip a bunch of regular CDs to DVD-A to save space (~6 CDs should fit on a DVD-A) but I expect that to be pretty straightforward.

-Eric