WARNING: Automatic charges from XM !!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 11:01 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WARNING: Automatic charges from XM !!!

I posted this thread on the RL forum, and realized that the members of the TL forum might also want to know this latest information from XM radio.

I received a charge from XM on my credit card that I did not authorize, and just spend the last 40 minutes on the phone with them trying to get things sorted out. What I learned was quite disturbing, and I would like to make sure that others in the forum do not get caught by this.

When signing up for the $77 per year subscription, what XM don't tell you is that at the end of this special rate, your account will be AUTOMATICALLY rolled into a standard account with a payment rate of $12.95 per month!!!!!

I questioned the legality of this practice, since I had not given my authorization for this. I was told that the XM representatives that handle these special rates are supposed to inform everyone getting them that this automatic rollover will happen. I strongly believe that this is complete BS from XM, because I updated two accounts, and was never told of this practice in either case.

I was also informed that you can set for automatic termination of the contract when the $77 special is up, you just have to tell them this is the option that you would want (somehow magically we are supposed to know this, I guess).

I made sure that the XM on the RL is now terminated, and that the account that I have for my Honda Pilot will not rollover to the standard subscription rate at the end of the $77 deal.

My strong suggestion to everyone who has gotten the $77 yearly subscription rate is that you contact XM and make sure that you set the option to terminate your contract at the end of the $77 year period. If you do not, then XM will automatically charge your credit card with $12.95 per month ($155.40 per year) when your $77 deal is up.

It would be very interesting to learn how many of us were actually informed of this automatic rollover when we subscribed to the $77 deal, is XM really informing us or is this a con job?

I hope this helps others avoid the mess that I just had to deal with.

Pete
Old 12-10-2006, 05:42 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You purchased a $45,000 car and you are concerned about an < $80 charge??? Of course they do this, its how they increase margins.... But seriously, I agree...

Question is, can you sucker them into another $77 a year contract?? Has anyone had success doing this after the initial first year renewal?? i.e. how do we renew a second year for less than the BS 12.95 per month???
Old 12-10-2006, 06:52 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the info, but with the year subscription, you don't really have to know, it's common sense (marketing practice) to inform them to only charge for the year. When I did my subscription I specifically told them to cancel my service at the end of the year. From experience with subscriptions to many different things you come to realize that if you don't say anything the person selling the subscription would assume you would continue with the service till you decide to cancel. Its just their strategy.

Originally Posted by petemc
I posted this thread on the RL forum, and realized that the members of the TL forum might also want to know this latest information from XM radio.

I received a charge from XM on my credit card that I did not authorize, and just spend the last 40 minutes on the phone with them trying to get things sorted out. What I learned was quite disturbing, and I would like to make sure that others in the forum do not get caught by this.

When signing up for the $77 per year subscription, what XM don't tell you is that at the end of this special rate, your account will be AUTOMATICALLY rolled into a standard account with a payment rate of $12.95 per month!!!!!

I questioned the legality of this practice, since I had not given my authorization for this. I was told that the XM representatives that handle these special rates are supposed to inform everyone getting them that this automatic rollover will happen. I strongly believe that this is complete BS from XM, because I updated two accounts, and was never told of this practice in either case.

I was also informed that you can set for automatic termination of the contract when the $77 special is up, you just have to tell them this is the option that you would want (somehow magically we are supposed to know this, I guess).

I made sure that the XM on the RL is now terminated, and that the account that I have for my Honda Pilot will not rollover to the standard subscription rate at the end of the $77 deal.

My strong suggestion to everyone who has gotten the $77 yearly subscription rate is that you contact XM and make sure that you set the option to terminate your contract at the end of the $77 year period. If you do not, then XM will automatically charge your credit card with $12.95 per month ($155.40 per year) when your $77 deal is up.

It would be very interesting to learn how many of us were actually informed of this automatic rollover when we subscribed to the $77 deal, is XM really informing us or is this a con job?

I hope this helps others avoid the mess that I just had to deal with.

Pete
Old 12-10-2006, 07:18 PM
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
petemc.....they told me that it would automatically switch...i just put something in my calendar in outlook to remind me to cancel :o
Old 12-10-2006, 07:23 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 185 Likes on 131 Posts
When they did it to me, I called to cancel. They eventually signed me back up for the $77/year rate rather than loose me.

But to be fair they did send me a letter just be for my year expired saying they would auto-enroll me. I just missed that when I read it. It wasn't even in small print either. I just missed it.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:19 PM
Racer

If you hold out, and let your subscription expire, they will most likely come back to you with the $77 offer ... it happened to me. They are getting a bit desperate to get new users (or to not lose existing ones) because of their predicted growth to the financial community.
In this case, they even offered me free service for 3 months in an attempt to not lose me, but I've just lost interest in the service ... I prefer to play my CD and DVD-A discs which have much higher quality.
Pete

Originally Posted by urbaita1
You purchased a $45,000 car and you are concerned about an < $80 charge??? Of course they do this, its how they increase margins.... But seriously, I agree...

Question is, can you sucker them into another $77 a year contract?? Has anyone had success doing this after the initial first year renewal?? i.e. how do we renew a second year for less than the BS 12.95 per month???
Old 12-10-2006, 10:06 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have XM in/on my boat and 3 other vehicles.. I tend to turn two of the radios/subscriptions off on a seasonal basis. I found it somewhat amusing that even though you can change most parameters regarding your XM account online, canceling service is the one thing you can't..... You have to go through the pain of calling for that... They did however allow me to perform "seasonal" activities without ever re-paying activation charges etc..

It's just business.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:08 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would prefer they auto-enroll me than cancel my subscription without notice and have to go through the hassle of renewing everything again.

By the way, calling XM is a royal pain. They're in Bangalore, India....or somewhere in Jakarta...something like that. I've had to call 3 times in the past to get someone who could understand me...and I could understand them. Thank God you can do a lot from their website....including switching radios.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:30 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by urbaita1
You purchased a $45,000 car and you are concerned about an < $80 charge???
I see comments like this all over the place (AZ, BMW forum, etc). I'd really like to know what the logic behind this reasoning is?

I'm not picking on you specifically, but people seem to think that just because a person has a certain financial status, that they should just pay whatever to whoever without questioning it. Basically, to you, he can afford a $45k car, so he should just pay up on a bogus $80 charge. That's just ridiculous. Yes, I have over $55k in car payments, but that doesn't mean that I should just pay anyone who wants to charge me money. I am where I am financially for a reason, because I'm frugal and I keep track of where my money goes and just don't pay out for any reason.

If I PM you an invoice for $80, will you send payment to my paypal?
Old 12-11-2006, 10:41 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by stever627
I see comments like this all over the place (AZ, BMW forum, etc). I'd really like to know what the logic behind this reasoning is?

I'm not picking on you specifically, but people seem to think that just because a person has a certain financial status, that they should just pay whatever to whoever without questioning it. Basically, to you, he can afford a $45k car, so he should just pay up on a bogus $80 charge. That's just ridiculous. Yes, I have over $55k in car payments, but that doesn't mean that I should just pay anyone who wants to charge me money. I am where I am financially for a reason, because I'm frugal and I keep track of where my money goes and just don't pay out for any reason.

If I PM you an invoice for $80, will you send payment to my paypal?
^
Old 12-11-2006, 11:04 AM
Make MyTL Great Again

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
How are you suprised by this? When your already paid subscription runs out...they aren't going to continue charging the same 'low low price'...would you rather it just automatically cancels? If you think the service sucks so much why are you even paying 77/year for it. We're talking about something that you've had at a 'special rate', and yes while the cost is doubling for you, it's less then a $100 increase...

You can also save $$ by signing up for a multi year plan which you can "Cancel any time and receive a prorated refund of the balance of your remaining subscription."

And yes I am also on the side of 'if you can afford a 45k car...'. If you can afford the car, an extra 100k/year should be nothing...if it is, you are living above your means and you are stupid. If you don't want to pay it, don't pay it, cancel the service. No reason to tell everyone how cheap you are.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:38 AM
Instructor

The point is not that someone can't afford it. The way I read urbaita's comment is that just because I have an extra $80 laying around, I should just pay a bogus charge. Also, the OP isn't complaining about the cost, he's complaining how XM misinformed or failed to inform and the ensuing hassle of trying to get his money back.

Agreed that an extra $100/year is nothing and you shouldn't be driving a $45k car if you can't afford that. I also agree one shouldn't complain about the price of premium vs regular if you are buying a higher end car. But like I said before, just don't pay up for something bogus because you have it...

If you went out to dinner and ordered the strip steak, but they charged you for the filet, would you pay for it? It's probably only $20, but I bet you'd ask to have it fixed...
Old 12-11-2006, 11:53 AM
Make MyTL Great Again

Originally Posted by stever627
If you went out to dinner and ordered the strip steak, but they charged you for the filet, would you pay for it? It's probably only $20, but I bet you'd ask to have it fixed...
If you went to a resturant that was celebrating their anniversary and every itme on the menu was 50% off for one week...you eat there all week. When you go back Monday of the following week (the promotion is over) are you going to be shocked when you get the bill and see $12.95 instead of 6.42?

I don't see how what happened in this case to the OP is any different from how other subscription/reoccuring charges (whom you've given your cc# to) would do.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:01 PM
Instructor

because it's a subscription. he didn't sign up for life. he signed up for one year at $77 and wasn't told it would carry over.

I wouldn't be surprised at all with that bill. If I ordered something on the menu and it didn't specify special price anywhere, I would expect to pay what the menu price says.

On the other hand, I'd be really surprised if after I was all done with dessert, that she brought out another round of drinks, another plate of food, and another dessert and then charged me for the second helping that I didn't order.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:15 PM
Racer

Oh my god, I am sorry that I tried to help others on this forum

All I wanted to do was let others know that XM has a policy where they will start to automatically charge you a different rate, without letting you know when your initial subscription is up. Since I had not been informed of this by XM, it surprised me when I saw charges from XM that I hadn't authorized.

Now you are debating my financial status, restaurant prices ... next will it be world peace?

stever627, I think that you're fighting a losing battle, don't waste your time.

Over and out

Pete
Old 12-11-2006, 05:19 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Hmm, Interesting. I got a notice of termination for a regular account and thought I would simply wait until it expired to get the $77 rate. I was wondering why my service was still on. This may explain it...
Old 12-11-2006, 06:27 PM
Happy 08 TL-S Owner

Same thing happened to me. A random charge showed up in my account (debit). Called bank to find out what it was, it was yearly charge for XM. I called them and asked why they had charged an unauthorized amount and they basically said too bad, that's the way we do business. I did get them to reverse the charge, but they were insistent that it was going to cost whatever their yearly rate was (not the $77). Tried to explain that if they wanted to keep my business they would give me the $77 rate. In the end, I canceled and got $83/year with Sirius. XM's business practices suck!
Old 12-11-2006, 06:30 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Update - Yep, this is what happened to me as well. Although I had called PRIOR to expiration (expired on 11/30/06 and I called them on 11/24/06) to verify that it would simply lapse (was considering trading the car), it did not. At the time I called in to make certain it would lapse, I was never forwarded to the cancallation department. That is were the communications failure occurred on my efforts. I expected an intentional lapse of service so that 9at the very least) XM would have to call or solicit me to renew the service (at a hopefull discounted rate) IF I decided to keep the car. I called in tonight to see why my service was still on and was informaed that they had simply "renewed" my contract for a year at the REGULAR annual rate $12.95/month and would be billing my credit card. One thing they did not realize until tonight was that I had cancelled that credit card about 6 months ago so the charges would not have stuck anyway. In the end, the "disconnection office" was able to re-sign me for another year at the discounted $77 rate (so it all worked out in the end). By the way, the ONLY way to do this correctly is to REMAIN CALM at ALL times when you are talking with the customer service reps. This is simply a job to them and they deal with enough crap on a daily basis. If you are SUPER nice to them, you would be surprised how much they can really help you (i.e. my ability to continue the $77 rate for a second year is a good example). (PS. One of the things I do in my business is sell call center software to Fortune 500 accounts so I do have some experience in this area). Thanks to the original poster for listing this separately from the sticky-ed $77/annual thread as it did help me find EXACTLy the details I was looking for and if someone reads this it may also help them as well!
Old 12-11-2006, 06:35 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Ah...this is business as usual. Doesnt suprise me at all.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:54 AM
Make MyTL Great Again

On a related note...

XM is offering a $4.99/month promotion - discounted subscription promotion to previous subscribers.

http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/xm...promotion.html
Old 12-12-2006, 12:16 PM
Down for a photoshoot?

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
well i dont use my XM at all ... i just listen to CDs most of the time ... anyone know the phone number or website through which I can cancel my XMplan? I just purchased my 06TL and it came with an XM service plan @___@? some type of promotion which i can use it for several months i suppose?
Old 12-13-2006, 02:25 PM
Make MyTL Great Again

Originally Posted by crzygosu87
well i dont use my XM at all ... i just listen to CDs most of the time ... anyone know the phone number or website through which I can cancel my XMplan? I just purchased my 06TL and it came with an XM service plan @___@? some type of promotion which i can use it for several months i suppose?
it's www.xmradio.com

you should have it free for 3 months. if you never called to set anything up/your dealer activated it for the free trial...just leave it alone. XM doesn't have your billing info and it will just cancel after 3 months.

Have you tried listening to it out at all?
Old 12-14-2006, 10:21 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Originally Posted by AdamNJ
On a related note...

XM is offering a $4.99/month promotion - discounted subscription promotion to previous subscribers.

http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/xm...promotion.html
Adam - The only problem with that $4.99 rate is that it is only good for 3 months after which it reverts back to the "standard rate" which in most cases is the $12.95/month plan so that $4.99/month actually works out to $10.96/month. The $77/year is still the best deal out there right now (if you can still get it).
Old 12-14-2006, 10:28 PM
Pro

I got a call from an XM rep several days ago because my free trial period expired a week ago. I told her that I am not interested in subscribing because I hardly listen to XM, since I love the DVD-A and I only drive the car on weekends. As of today, XM still works; I tested it just to see if they turned off my XM, not to listen to any XM program.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:58 PM
1st Gear

When you renew in the future have them send you a bill and pay by check. Do not give them your credit card number. Problem solved.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:39 PM
Down for a photoshoot?

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AdamNJ
it's www.xmradio.com

you should have it free for 3 months. if you never called to set anything up/your dealer activated it for the free trial...just leave it alone. XM doesn't have your billing info and it will just cancel after 3 months.

Have you tried listening to it out at all?
well yeah i tried it out here and there but i've only listened to couple stations over and over again like i do with am/fm radio ... not that much haha
Old 12-21-2006, 01:28 PM
4th Gear

Exactamundo Buzios. Have them bill you and problem solved.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:30 PM
3rd Gear

2 silly questions: I just got a 2006 TL and am in month 2 of the free trial. When the 3 months are up, can I somehow finagle the 77 dollar rate or do you have to pay full pop for a year 1st? Also whether 77/yr or full pop can't they just bill you monthly?

Thanks....Jeff
Old 01-03-2007, 12:36 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by alembic54
2 silly questions: I just got a 2006 TL and am in month 2 of the free trial. When the 3 months are up, can I somehow finagle the 77 dollar rate or do you have to pay full pop for a year 1st? Also whether 77/yr or full pop can't they just bill you monthly?

Thanks....Jeff
Follow the script in the post stuck to the top of the board (or don't wait -- most get it anyway) and you will get the $77/year plan... most of the time they will charge you tax on top of the $77 (fyi).
Old 01-03-2007, 09:44 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by meyersnole
Follow the script in the post stuck to the top of the board (or don't wait -- most get it anyway) and you will get the $77/year plan... most of the time they will charge you tax on top of the $77 (fyi).
A buddy of mine tried twice yesterday and both times was told that the offer had expired. Anyone had any success with this in '07?
Old 01-03-2007, 09:32 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by legionofdoom
A buddy of mine tried twice yesterday and both times was told that the offer had expired. Anyone had any success with this in '07?
I just checked the stuck post (top of board) and someone just posted today that they are on their second year of $77/year service.

I have read where it is important to call a certain call center. Some are vended out, etc. Check the thread for more details and good luck!
Old 01-03-2007, 11:18 PM
Instructor

If they charge tax then thats BS. It's a service therefore no tax should be included. If they did that is bad business practice and their ass will be sued
Old 01-22-2007, 12:19 PM
Instructor

When you use a credit card, lie about the cards expiration date. When it is time to renew your subscription for the following year, the card will show up as expired in their database, and they will be unable to charge your account.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:20 PM
Terminex

No problem with this policy

I do not have a big problem with this policy. It is what allows me to keep renewing at $77 without having to let it expire. I just call up when the new year starts & I have an automatic bill on my card. I explain that I asked for this to be canceled at the end of the 1 year. I tell them that unless I can do it for $77 for another year i want ti canceled immediately and the charge credited. They say no problem, and simply charge me the difference between the auto-bill adn the $77.

Then again, it is all personal take on this & the fact that I review my charges on my card each month.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:11 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 300 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Krazylegs
When you use a credit card, lie about the cards expiration date. When it is time to renew your subscription for the following year, the card will show up as expired in their database, and they will be unable to charge your account.
If you lie about the expiration the transaction shouldn't go through - that's one of the ways a card gets verified if they don't have the physical card to swipe.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:23 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 300 Likes on 155 Posts
I signed up three cars today, my TL-S and two Accord EX-Ls. When I did, the guy asked a number of questions, including verifying several times it was ok to charge my card $77. One of the questions, buried in the chatter, was something along the lines of "and it's ok to keep the card number on file for billing?" I simply said no, it was not ok. He had no problem with that. I did verify again later that they wouldn't keep it. I check my card bills every month, but I'd rather avoid the hassle of getting them to back it out. If I can't finagle the $77 again next year, I'll sign up for three years @ 9.99 instead of paying 12.95 and sign the other two up for the family plan @ 6.99 each.

When I told the guy today I had two more cars after I signed up the first one for $77, he offered me the family plan. I chuckled and said I could do math in my head and would rather have the promo on them too. He just laughed and gave me the $77/year on all of them.

For those of you who wonder why a guy who can afford a $40,000 car would worry about it, I'll just say paying attention to where it comes from and where it goes is how I can afford the car in the first place.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:05 AM
Instructor

As long as the date of experation is in the future, It dosn't matter what the actual date of the card expiration is. I use to wate tables and when needing to manually enter card numbers, I would always enter a random expiration date out of lazieness.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:06 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mike03a3
If you lie about the expiration the transaction shouldn't go through - that's one of the ways a card gets verified if they don't have the physical card to swipe.

As long as the date of experation is in the future, It dosn't matter what the actual date of the card expiration is. I use to wate tables and when needing to manually enter card numbers, I would always enter a random expiration date out of lazieness.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:13 AM
Racer

I just checked the stuck post (top of board) and someone just posted today that they are on their second year of $77/year service.
I got the $60 deal and then a $77 deal. I think on the $77 deal I paid sales tax.

I did go without XM for several months between the two deals.

Many people haven gotten back to back deals with no lapses.