VSA/Brake/ABS lights on after heavy rain / Random Alarm going off

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 06:12 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VSA/Brake/ABS lights on after heavy rain / Random Alarm going off

About a month ago I drove my 07 TL Type-S through a very deep puddle in Miami on my lunch break. Everything seemed fine till I went to leave work later that night and came out to my alarm on. Apparently it had been on and off since I had been back from lunch. not thinking anything of it I continued to store on way home. Car would turn over, but didnt sound like it was trying to fire. (Side note is the unlock button on key FOB worked, but not lock). Eventually car starts, and I make it back to hotel and turn off car. HID's stay on, and I can hear relays in the engine compartment going crazy. Put key back in ignition and started car and now a door open light comes on(it was closed). Only option was disconnect battery for the night.

Next morning hook up battery, problem still there, so I take directly to Acura. Acura was unable to reset the VSA modulator and recommended they replace it for $2200. I passed on that and picked up car in afternoon. No more problems or lights existed so I just decided to drive straight home(3hrs away) before I was stranded. Started car next days and all lights were gone, so I figured the car dried out.

Fast forward to today in Jacksonville with heavy rain and boom, problem is back. I didnt drive through any deep puddles today, but it has been raining all day, but not near as bad as it can be for FL. First noticed my alarm going off, but the lock button still worked so I was hoping it wouldnt get any worse. As the day went on the alarm would kick on more and more. Then it started with kicking on the HID's constantly then on to the day running lights, then no lock on key FOB. Next time I got in my car I saw all the lights on again ABS/VSA/Brake and a few others, but the same ones from the previous month. Unfortuantely I am 2.5hrs away from home again, so I disconnected battery.........and here I am looking for answers.

My thought was I might have a clogged drain line coming from Sunroof since this problem occurs during rain. I opened sunroof and could only see the front 2 holes and they both look clear, I will blow air in it tomorrow to make sure. Anyone else have thoughts? The battery is less than year old, brake fluid was flushed about a year ago and current fluid level is good. I did have a subwoofer in trunk at 1 point, but fuse in engine compartment is pulled so I couldnt imagine that being an issue.

2007 TL Type-S 131,000 miles driving about 2k miles a month
Old 06-20-2016, 08:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 140 Posts
either sunroof drain clogged or a leaking windshield.
Check by your fuse box and see if there's any water leaking onto it.

or pour a bucket of water over the car, around the drain and see if it leaks in. Definitely sounds like water is getting into the micu.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:04 AM
2nd Gear

Thanks flyromeo3. I did have the windshield replaced on 8/14/14 by Safelite w/an Acura windshield, so that very well could be it. The tech actually had a TL as well so he was excited to work on it, and had already done a few of them before. The car definitely smelled damp so im sure water was inside somewhere, so I will do some testing and start my search by the fusebox. Friday I had a new issue where I wasnt able to raise the drivers side rear window. After a few tries, I ended coming back out after 10 min. and tried again and it finally worked. All the same lights still on.

Any good ideas on clearing the sunroof drain tubes? I will use a compressor, but wasn't sure if anyone else had any better ideas. The front 2 are clearly visible, but I am unable to see the back 2. Im assuming I start with the drivers side front considering thats where the MICU is. If the MICU needs to be replaced, is this the right part:

BOX ASSY., FUSE | Genuine Acura | 38200-SEP-A04
Old 04-21-2017, 01:55 PM
1st Gear

2007-TL-Type-S, did you ever figure out the problem? I just drove back home in a heavy thunderstorm and hailstorm the other night and had the exact same thing happen on my 08 TL. The alarm started going off randomly and then i couldn't use the Fob and ended up having to leave the hood popped and manually lock the doors as to not set off the alarm. The next day the Fob works, but i still have the VSA/ABS/Brake lights on and they've been like that for about 4 days. I plugged a reader into it and got ABS codes 81-03 and 86-31. Haven't found much on what to do with those that doesn't cost a fortune and i'm hesitant to spend a boatload of money if all it was is something got wet and it'll dry out in a few days.

Also did you figure out a good procedure for clearing out sunroof drain tubes?