Viper 5902 Accidently Remote Starts

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 01:33 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Viper 5902 Accidently Remote Starts

I love my Viper alarm but my Clifford 50.5x sure was a lot better in terms of a good remote ... only reason I went with the Viper was because of the bypass module and because I didn't want to dig into the door panel to wire up the Clifford.

Am I the only one with this problem ... you lock your car, throw your keys in your pocket, and the car is remote starting, locking, unlocking, etc. because the buttons are so easily pressed on accident?

You really had to push down on the buttons on the Clifford remote but not on the Viper. I've had this happen so many times and the auto locking of the remote only does good for you if you don't happen to press a button for 60 seconds. I'd love to be able to have it auto lock sooner or perhaps have it to where you have to hold down or double press any/all of the functions for them to work ... unfortunately I can't seem to find a place to write to Viper to see if they can create a firmware update to resolve this issue ... if that's even possible .. is it?

Anybody have any good suggestions other than not throwing the keys in the pocket for 60 seconds?
Old 05-29-2012, 05:11 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the same problem with my 5901. It'll be in my pocket and i'll accidentally lock and unlock but it doesn't bother me. Don't waste your time writing to Viper, they are not going create anything just because YOU have a problem and not happy with it. This is just like the guy on the Lexus forum that wrote to Lexus because they turn signals are too low when he went to test drive a car. It's stupid in my opinion to write to the manufacture just because you have a problem with something you can resolve. In the Lexus' guys case, move the damn seat back to see the turn signal. In your case, just deal with it or get a new alarm. Easy peasy.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 591 Likes on 455 Posts
Maybe there is a leather keyfob thingy that is made for that remote that has a cover?
Old 05-29-2012, 09:02 PM
Advanced

legendbliss ... you said because I have a problem but obviously this isn't just an I have a problem ... I'm pretty sure this is widespread. And a firmware/software update is nothing like moving the blinker switch on a vehicle. LOL

I'm just saying ... it doesn't seem like a major undertaking for Viper to modify a few lines of their software code in order to resolve what I'm pretty sure is a predominate issue for the majority of the people who own this product. Not suggesting they need to physically redesign the remote, although they really should do it going forward for their future owners, but rather just put out a simple fix for their current customers.

To be honest they probably don't even know how widespread it is if nobody speaks up about it.

Bottom line is I'm pretty sure this has happened to just about everybody who owns the alarm and if a simple fix can resolve ... then it just makes sense. But ... no idea who I'd write to or if the remote can even take a firmware upgrade ........
Old 05-29-2012, 10:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
Just a point about writing letters...

The well written letter by a competent presenter of information shall availeth much.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:52 PM
Mistuh DRiiVA

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I had the same problem too and it was very annoying. I heard that the leather case with the plastic over it helps to prevent you from accidentally pressing buttons but only works to a certain extent. I ended up going to the secondary remote (the one way remote) since i also have the smart start module installed and everything else comes to my phone. Maybe this could be an option for you?
Old 05-31-2012, 01:25 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by stevemk07
Just a point about writing letters...

The well written letter by a competent presenter of information shall availeth much.
I couldn't agree more.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:54 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
Originally Posted by bugsysiegals
I love my Viper alarm but my Clifford 50.5x sure was a lot better in terms of a good remote ... only reason I went with the Viper was because of the bypass module and because I didn't want to dig into the door panel to wire up the Clifford...
Dude, you realize that DEI makes both Clifford and Viper (and Python) and that there are identical brains in all 3 makes?
Old 05-31-2012, 01:56 PM
Advanced

I also switched to the 1-way remote because the primary remote was just to touchy ... needless to say I'm still experiencing issues with the 1-way remote. It doesn't help that it doesn't lock, or perhaps it can be locked, but the videos I seen where for the ghost light remote which this doesn't have.

Even if I get it to lock after 60 seconds I've already had it where I put the keys in my pocket and a few seconds later somehow the button is getting pressed so that really doesn't do much for me either. I guess I either need to build a switch to disable the battery, a case to block the buttons from easily being pressed, or revert back to using the standard Acura remote. I really don't use remote start other than winter and probably don't need the alarm although it would still be nice to have. Perhaps the factory remote would still activate the alarm when locking the doors. I thought I read that it did somewhere but cannot remember.

I just wish the auto lock could be enabled after 5 seconds rather than 60 and the problem would be easily solved.....
Old 05-31-2012, 01:59 PM
Advanced

Yes I realize they make all of them; however, I thought the Clifford 50.5x didn't have the ability to wire to the bypass all unit which is why I purchased the Viper. That Clifford remote NEVER had issues ... you really had to purposefully press those buttons in which I took for granted but obviously whoever engineered this awesome new sleek look forgot to think about how easily the buttons could accidentally be pressed.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:21 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by bugsysiegals
Yes I realize they make all of them; however, I thought the Clifford 50.5x didn't have the ability to wire to the bypass all unit which is why I purchased the Viper. That Clifford remote NEVER had issues ... you really had to purposefully press those buttons in which I took for granted but obviously whoever engineered this awesome new sleek look forgot to think about how easily the buttons could accidentally be pressed.
Yeah, the 3 makes all have corresponding identical brains. Just depends on the model#. I have the clifford 50.7x and use the deicanmax400 bypass.

And I don't have the same issue with the remote, but it doesn't look nearly as "cool" as the new remotes. It looks like an old time refrigerator compared to the new remotes. Too bad they are having those issues...
Old 06-01-2012, 10:36 PM
Advanced

Yeah, the 50.5x doesn't work with the modules. ;( The remote was slightly bigger for mine but I never accidently pressed any buttons and I'll take that over a lil smaller and sleeker any day.

I tried out the factory remote and it arms and disarmed the Viper no problem. To bad it likely can't activate remote start. Also, it probably doesn't transmit as far but for basic alarm functions it will work until I can figure out a better solution for the Viper remote.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:54 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't remember how but you can lock the remote to where you have to hit function and then unlock, so the fob is unlocked and then hit whatever button you want
Old 05-30-2017, 03:10 PM
1st Gear

Bad idea

Wait till your remote start goes off in your garage by accident and kills your family! This is one stupid remote system I can't use my garage if the remote stray is actice
Old 05-30-2017, 09:49 PM
Race Director

huh?
Old 06-02-2017, 06:06 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by nfnsquared
huh?
I think it's similar to covfefe 😀
Old 06-06-2017, 06:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 165 Likes on 139 Posts
if you press f = function + lock it should lock the keypad and prevent unwanted starts.