Valentine1 V1 Radar Crackle on Startup

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 10:28 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Valentine1 V1 Radar Crackle on Startup

Hey all, I recently hardwired my V1 in my '05 TL to the power wire of the sunroof switch just like the How-To guide on the forums here. When starting the car up you can hear the V1 crackle from not having enough power since it's diverting it to the starter. Has anyone had this issue with their radar?

Old 04-19-2013, 10:31 AM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
why not "fish" it down towards the kick panel where the fuse box is?
then add a fuse to #32 which is ACC on.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:37 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by justnspace
why not "fish" it down towards the kick panel where the fuse box is?
then add a fuse to #32 which is ACC on.
That's how the sunroof is, it's only powered when keys are in the ON position. The V1 comes with an in-line fuse as well. Though, if people haven't had issues with the fuse panel I can give that a shot as well since that's how it was wired in the Miata before I removed it to sell the car. I'll give that method a try if other people had issues with the sunroof. Anyone else?
Old 04-23-2013, 08:32 AM
Cruisin'

I got a reply from a V1 tech...

Hi,

V1 has a voltage sensing circuitry that will shutoff the unit whenever the supply voltage drops below 10.5 volts. Based on the video, it seems the voltage is fluctuating near 10.5 volts during engine startup, which will cause the V1 to cycle on/off multiple times. The operating condition should not hurt the unit.

Thanks,
Michael Negussu
That's good that it won't hurt the unit but it's still annoying.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:53 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Love the V1 I had one but I now live in Virginia so I bought the Beltronics STI Magnum (which is unreal how good it is) I have mine mounted in the same spot but I hard wired it to the window lock switch. The reason I did this is because I can lock the windows and power off my radar and also it shuts on/off with the car and it was easier than going to the fuse panel

You really need to change the way yours is mounted though take it off of the tint strip and away from those sensors which I think are for temperature but I may be wrong. Anything in the way that is opaque will reduce the range and capability of the detector. I know you have one of the top 3 detectors in the world but you are limiting it using it this way

Good Luck!!
Old 04-25-2013, 02:22 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by connork53
Love the V1 I had one but I now live in Virginia so I bought the Beltronics STI Magnum (which is unreal how good it is) I have mine mounted in the same spot but I hard wired it to the window lock switch. The reason I did this is because I can lock the windows and power off my radar and also it shuts on/off with the car and it was easier than going to the fuse panel

You really need to change the way yours is mounted though take it off of the tint strip and away from those sensors which I think are for temperature but I may be wrong. Anything in the way that is opaque will reduce the range and capability of the detector. I know you have one of the top 3 detectors in the world but you are limiting it using it this way

Good Luck!!
What sensors? Are you referring to the black-dotted pattern around the base of the rear view mirror? Radar penetrates most things but I've heard some metallic stuff can cause issues. It's been working great so far so I don't see a need to move it; if anywhere I'll probably lower it just slightly but the black dots aren't in the way of the sensor.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:08 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by RavynX
What sensors? Are you referring to the black-dotted pattern around the base of the rear view mirror? Radar penetrates most things but I've heard some metallic stuff can cause issues. It's been working great so far so I don't see a need to move it; if anywhere I'll probably lower it just slightly but the black dots aren't in the way of the sensor.
RF (radio frequency) works off of LOS (line of sight) if it is harder for you to see through it, that means that it is harder for the RF to penetrate it. Just my hands on experience