V710: Well, this was amusing. Uhhh ... maybe not!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 01:24 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
V710: Well, this was amusing. Uhhh ... maybe not!

So, I started to experiment with my V710 and the TL HFL last night. Remember how you'd see "experiments" on old black & white B-flicks? Something would usually go terribly wrong ...

I'm getting ahead of myself here.

Anyways, I was experimenting. I was trying to figure out a way to get the V710 to dial my Verizon Voicemail over the HFL without requiring me to send out a bunch-o-buttons and voice commands.

Here's what I came up with - I would send out a sequence something like this:
*86 pause pause pause # pause 0123#
Conceptually, this should work a good part of the time. The major problem was how many "pause"s to put between the "6" and the first "#" that were there waiting for my call to connect. Since the TL HFL doesn't seem to support a "wait" during dialing, "pause"s are the best I can do.

So, I programmed up my "Voicemail" entry in the HFL Phone Book with the above sequence.

I then instructed the HFL to dial my Voicemail number. I heard the call terminate fairly quickly after it started, so I never got to my Voicemail. Harrumph ... I hate the rotten cellular reception I get at my house.

So, I tried it again, and this time nothing happened over the HFL. So, I look at my phone to see what's going on.

Odd. The V710 apparently reset sometime earlier. No bother, though - I just entered my access code, and the V710 was up and running again.

I tried calling Verizon Voicemail using the same HFL Phonebook entry, and it droppd out almost immediately again! Now, I'm getting suspicious!

I checked the phone, and yup! - my V710 had reset again.

So, I tried getting to my Voicemail one last time, and the V710 reset again!

Apparently, there's some kind of bug in the V710 software that doesn't like two "pauses" together in the dialed number.

Anybody else ever see something like this before?
Old 08-13-2004, 01:54 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This appears to be an issue in the HFL itself and not in your phone. I had the exact same problem with a Nokia 6820. Anytime I used a phone number in the HFL that included a pause, the HFL would not dial the number and would reset itself.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

Hmmm, I have to try it on my T637.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:55 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Originally Posted by SilverTL04
This appears to be an issue in the HFL itself and not in your phone. I had the exact same problem with a Nokia 6820. Anytime I used a phone number in the HFL that included a pause, the HFL would not dial the number and would reset itself.
SilverTL04 - I know that the problem is V710-related in some way for my situation. Why? Because I have enabled the security on my V710 such that I have to enter an access code whenever the phone is turned on.

Each time that I sent out the above sequence over the HFL, the V710 had reset and was waiting for me to enter the phone's access code to start using the phone again.

I'm not sure if the problem is multiple pauses being sent immediately after each other, or the fact that the V710 uses a "p" for pause and the HFL sends "P" for pause to the phone. Or, it could just be something else. All I know is that I saw the V710 reset every time when I was watching what was happening.
Old 08-13-2004, 04:20 PM
Instructor

I haven't tried it on the HFL, but I do have double pause on my voicemail dial and it works perfectly on the V710 alone. If it doesn't work with the TL HFL, then I guess it's a TL problem or a bluetooth issue. I hope this is not the case since I call my office voicemail often.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:56 PM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Originally Posted by Ken7
I haven't tried it on the HFL, but I do have double pause on my voicemail dial and it works perfectly on the V710 alone. If it doesn't work with the TL HFL, then I guess it's a TL problem or a bluetooth issue. I hope this is not the case since I call my office voicemail often.
Yes, I have double pauses for some numbers in my V710 as well. It's not a problem with the pauses stored in the V710.

I also don't think that it's a HFL problem. The command that the HFL appears to be sending to the V710 perfectly is alright - ATD PPP#P0123# is a valid command. (Note: This is what it appears to be sending. I don't have anything to prove it, but I don't see anything to the contrary)

My guess is that the V710 doesn't handle a capital "P" in the dialing sequence properly. The V710 uses a lower-case "p" when it sends commands to itself, which it handles fine. While it would be odd for something this obvious to occur in the firmware, it is definitely possible. If the code writers assumed that all they'd ever see would be a "p" in a dialing sequence (since that's what the V710 generates to itself), the phone may not know how to handle a "P" and crash the code - resulting in a reset.

If this is the case, it's a very simple fix for Motorola to implement (once you ignore the stacks of "quality process" paperwork that will go around it).
Old 08-14-2004, 04:10 PM
Instructor

Got Jazz, fascinating stuff! You could be right. I havne't tried my voicemail yet via the HFL (actually I haven't stored anything yet on the HFL.....I've been doing digit dialing on the HFL exclusively thus far). I'll definitely give it a shot soon.
Old 08-15-2004, 09:40 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This is an HFL problem .. Was discussed a few months ago. Nobody has been able to get 'pause' to work from the HFL to any phone. I don't even know if 'pause' is listed in the manual?

That it makes the v710 reboot is concerning, and the v710 should handle it better, but its not the v710's fault it isn't working. My SET608 (sprint) would just quickly disconnect the call when a number with pause was sent.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:50 PM
7th Gear

hey jazz, i don't know what software version you have but you can update it if you have a digital/1x signal. press *228 and listen to the commands. press one for the latest software and press 2 to update your phones roaming tables. pressing 2 may also help your signal quality as well, since the phone doesn't automatically update where the towers are. i got the latest software yesterday. s/w version 8700_01.30.8F which is found under phone information/other information/sw version
hope this helps.
ps this call is airtime free!
Old 08-17-2004, 11:26 PM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Originally Posted by atom_smasher
hey jazz, i don't know what software version you have but you can update it if you have a digital/1x signal. press *228 and listen to the commands. press one for the latest software and press 2 to update your phones roaming tables. pressing 2 may also help your signal quality as well, since the phone doesn't automatically update where the towers are. i got the latest software yesterday. s/w version 8700_01.30.8F which is found under phone information/other information/sw version
hope this helps.
ps this call is airtime free!
atom_smasher - Software Version 8700_01.30.8F is the version that came with the phone when I bought it from Radio Shack. I don't think that there has been an update available yet.

Selecting "*228 - Option 1" is the phone activation sequence used by Verizon. It doesn't update the phone's software. At least, that's what the Technical Support person told me tonight. I don't think that the phone's software can be updated over the air yet.

For one thing, it may take an awfully long time (megabytes of data vs. a few kilobytes).

Secondly, I don't think I'd want to risk it unless there's a lot of protections in place. The cellular network's data stream is kind of messy and error-prone by nature. While I won't mind if there's a little corruption in a picture or video stream that I send, I sure wouldn't want to mess with my phone's software in such a manner. Yes, I know that there are plenty of error correction algorithms out there, but I would be much happier to program my phone via a good, old-fashioned, USB cable.