V710 at Radio Shack - Extend 2 yr contract?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 04:09 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V710 at Radio Shack - Extend 2 yr contract?

This has undoubtedly been asked before and even discussed in another thread, but I'd still like some clarification. The Radio Shack that I bought the V710 from said that they cannot give the $319.99 w/ a 2 yr contract to me because my contract isn't within 2 months of expiring. Other people seem to be saying that some Radio Shacks have actually done that. I bought the phone for the $519 price, but I am most likely going to return it if they can't/won't give me the 2 yr contract price.

Has anyone had luck with getting the phone from Radio Shack at the $319 price if they aren't within 2 months of their contract expiring? If so, please let me know. If the Radio Shack I bought the phone from won't do it, I'll happily return it and wait.

I don't want to give it up - it works great in the TL and the phone is really cool. But I don't know if I can justify paying the extra $200, especially if it's just because the salesman didn't want to give me the discounted price.

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks..
Old 08-02-2004, 09:33 AM
What's a TL?

No Verizon outlet (even the corporate stores) can extend a contract beyond 26 months as it is against company policy...
Old 08-02-2004, 11:29 AM
Cruisin'

Vtec - thanks for the reply, though I'm not sure I follow you. What do you mean by extend it beyond 26 months?

I signed a 2 yr contract in April of 2003. Radio Shack wouldn't be able to give me a new 2 yr contract and the $319 price until February of 2005, within 2 months of the end of my contract. I just spoke with Verizon customer service and they told me the same thing, I'm not eligable for a new phone until February 29th, 2005.

Does that sound right to everyone? If so, I'll just eat the cost of the V710 cause it's a damn cool phone. Thanks for any info you can provide.
Old 08-02-2004, 11:53 AM
What's a TL?

What I meant is that there is no such thing as a Verizon contract that extends beyond 26 months...some people do not understand why they cannot just add another 2 year contract to their plan and that is because of this restriction...

I was through with my contract and signed a 2year extension to get the phone from RS for $319 plus tax (tax based on the retail price of $519)
Old 08-02-2004, 12:24 PM
Supreme Underlord/Abyss

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Radio Shack is not authorized to do early upgrades for Verizon.

I went to my local RS last week to buy the V710, but I didn't end up with it since they couldn't do the early upgrade. Both the salesperson and I spoke to a Verizon rep while I was at the store, and my only choice was to pay $519 for the phone.

I'm waiting 'til the phone hits Verizon stores.

Regards,
Old 08-02-2004, 01:07 PM
Cruisin'

Leeherman - So does that mean then that when the phone is available for sale at Verizon stores, they'll be able to give it to me for the $319 price? Even though I have only been through 1 year and 5 months of my 2 year contract?

If that's the case, I'll return the V710 to Radio Shack and wait for it from Verizon..

Thanks.
Old 08-02-2004, 01:46 PM
Supreme Underlord/Abyss

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mattyg30
Leeherman - So does that mean then that when the phone is available for sale at Verizon stores, they'll be able to give it to me for the $319 price? Even though I have only been through 1 year and 5 months of my 2 year contract?

If that's the case, I'll return the V710 to Radio Shack and wait for it from Verizon..

Thanks.
There's a time limit before you can upgrade. I believe it's two months off per year, so you could upgrade four months early on a two year contract. Additionally, I think there's an additional "early upgrade" possibility depending on your total time with Verizon and how long you have your current phone. You'd need to check with Verizon directly for that info.

Bottom line is that if you're entitled to an early upgrade, you CAN get the phone for the discounted price if you go to Verizon. I think their discounted price is $250, but I'm not sure. I'll find out in a few weeks when the mad rush is over.

Good luck!
Old 08-03-2004, 11:10 AM
Cruisin'

I just spoke with Verizon again on this issue. The first time I talked to them, they thought I was talking about the New Every 2 promotion so they told me incorrect information. If I buy a new phone from a Verizon store, I can sign a new 2 year contract and get the cheaper price. He called it Early Upgrade or something.

He did say that I would also have to sign up for a new price plan. I can't keep my 400 minutes, $40/mo plan. I'd have to at least goto a 500 minutes $50/mo plan in order to do this upgrade. That sound right?

Either way, I'm going to return the V710 to Radioshack tonight. It's really cool and the bluetooth integration with the TL is excellent (I don't care about signal strength or battery lfie).. But for $200, I'm willing to wait another week or two to get the phone.
Old 08-03-2004, 12:05 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
No matter what, I'm not signing a contract more than 1 year this time. Last time I signed for T720 and did not even get my $100 rebate. They lost my papers and unfortunately I did not have copies. The only thing I like about my plan with Verizon is my $40 for 1000 anytime min. Other than that I'm not very impressed with V710 or Verizon. I'm going to explore Cingular this time. I've been with Verizon for last 6 years now. I think it's time to move on. But still have another 6 months to finish my contract on Verizon.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:36 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
With the verizon new every two, you also get a $100 rebate on top of the contract price. If you wait till your contract is running out you can get a great deal on that phone. My cousin just got a $100 rebate on a verizon phone on top of the 2 year contract price.
Old 08-03-2004, 04:41 PM
Racer

august 11 verizon stores will have the v710 for $249 (after the $50 mail in rebate) for a new 2 year contract
Old 08-03-2004, 07:17 PM
Instructor

I bought my V710 last week at Radio Shack.. the one and only box they had in. They wouldn't allow me to use my $100 (new-every-two) that I qualified for with my old motorola phone and its contract. .. I have been dying to get ANYTHING from Verizon that will work with the TL. I can't wait till Aug 11th.

But I signed up for 2 year contract that made it from $519.99 to $319.99..plus mailed out my Radio Shack $70 rebate that I have to wait 10 weeks for ARGH...but that makes it $249.99..I was able to sign up for same plan I was already on too. This phone is great! I can't find any flaws (besides waiting for a firmware update to come out for battery and singal strength display). I was even talking to my friend while I was standing OUTSIDE of the car! and I can turn up the volume so loud that my whole neighborhood can hear him and understand him clearly! I really don't want the camera since my company doesn't allow camera phones inside for security reasons (I sneak it in anyways :sneaky: ) .. After I bought the phone I discovered it had a speaker phone which I will ALWAYS be using and is better quality than any other speaker phone I have heard! My friend couldn't tell that I was on speaker phone and he thought he was talking to me on my lan-line! .. I no longer have to hold the phone to my ear or use an earpiece again! (unless I need the privacy )

Verizon is telling me that if I waited till Aug 11th, that I may have a chance of getting the phone for $319.99 and use the $100 new-every-two towards making it $219.99.. So I could save an additional $30. If this is the case I will be returning this phone and picking it up at Verizon once I can! Can anybody confirm this being true if I wait till Aug 11th instead? Actually it's too late for me I think.. since I already renewed my contract through Radio Shack.. UGH
Old 08-04-2004, 05:35 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mattyg30

Thanks.
Not by what they are telling me. Apparently you have to be within two months of end of contract to get an EARLY UPgrade discount. However they are happy to give you the OPPORTUNITY to buy it RETAIL ( of course they don't even have it ) .

From " Customer " hahahah " Care " hahaha You will note that they NEVER STOP WORKING FOR ME hahahah. BTW I have Verizon everything including DSL, their attitude is that's nice, please pay retail.

I can CANCEL my contract for something like $175 think I will do that and screw their ONLY bluetooth phone that they still don't even have!

" We appreciate your request for assistance with replacing your existing
wireless phone, and are happy to address your inquiry.

Our current Equipment Replacement policy requires you to have two months or
less remaining on your current customer agreement to receive assistance
towards the purchase of a new wireless phone. In reviewing your account, we
found that on you participated in an equipment promotion that required a
June 23, 2003 year customer agreement. At that time, you received a
discount towards the purchase of a new wireless phone. This discount was
based on the completion of your agreement. Currently, you have not met the
two-month requirement. You will become eligible on or after April 23, 2005.

We would like to give you the opportunity to purchase new equipment at full
retail pricing.

Please be aware that the prices on our website are promotional and the full
retail price will be higher. Equipment pricing and availability are subject
to change. To view currently offered equipment, please visit the "Products"
section on the top of the www.verizonwireless.com home page, and choose
"Phones" from the drop-down menu.

Please respond to this e-mail with the wireless phone models you are
interested in and we will be happy to send you the full retail prices.

Additionally, you may upgrade your wireless phone online if you are a
registered "My Account" customer. If you have not registered for "My
Account," please click on the "Register" icon located at the top of the
www.verizonwireless.com home page and follow the instructions. To get to
the "Phone Upgrade" screen, after logging onto "My Account," simply select
the "Mobile Phone" tab followed by the "Upgrade Phone" tab. Once at the
"Upgrade Phone" screen, please follow the five easy steps below:

1. Choose the mobile telephone number to upgrade.
2. Choose the new handset.
3. Choose accessories (if applicable).
4. Preview the order.
5. Checkout (enter shipping and payment information).

We hope that the information we have provided has been helpful. Please do
not hesitate to contact us again.

Please remember, as part of our Worry Free Guarantee you will enjoy the
largest, most reliable nationwide wireless network. Feel free to contact us
again through www.VerizonWireless.com if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Hakeem
Verizon Wireless
Customer Service

"We never stop working for you!"
Old 08-04-2004, 08:36 AM
Pue
Intermediate

what is "new every two" $100 rebate?
can someone explain...