Using PSTwo (new slim one) as DVD in glovebox

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 02:46 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Using PSTwo (new slim one) as DVD in glovebox

Hi all,

So, now that I've pretty much figured out the AUX audio input with perfect quality, I'm ready to investigate the whole DVD-conversion issue. I can't decide if I'll go with Sokolov's box or the AV Electronic box yet. I am going to be connecting my iPod as well as a DVD source to the so I like the fact that the AVE box has multiple inputs. I don't know if the Sokolov box does. I also want to install two screens on my headrests, so I'll also need 3 outputs (one RGB, two composite).

And now I'm wondering if the new PSTwo (slim PS2) fits in our glovebox. Does anyone have one? Know if it does fit? I figure that would kill two birds with one stone... have a PS2 in the car and be a perfectly good DVD player. And when booted in Linux, it could also play MP3s. I've already checked into it and DMS3 has a chip that is compatible with the new PS2.

So what do you all think? Anyone have an opinion about Sokolov vs. AVE for the multiplexing of inputs/outputs? I really don't want to pay $500 for the AVE unit, it seems like so much.

Do you think the screen install in the headrests is DYI? I'm pretty handy and have already installed a remote starter/alarm and AUX in in the car so I can handle the tough electronics, dunno about leather though. :P

Rob
Old 12-21-2004, 05:24 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The dimensions of the slim PS2 are:

Approximately 230 mm (W) ×28 mm (H) ×152 mm (D)

*internal volume about 23% of the current model

Weight
Approximately 900g

*weight about 45% of the current model

Power requirements
DC 8.5V

Electrical current consumption

(power consumption)
Approximately 5.3A (approximately 45W)

Compatible format
PlayStation format CD-ROM
PlayStation 2 format CD-ROM
PlayStation 2 format DVD-ROM
Audio CD
DVD-Video*
DVD-RW (VR mode)

* The term "DVD-Video" is used to refer to DVD-R, DVD-RW (Video mode), DVD+R and DVD+RW discs.

Interfaces
Controller Port x 2
MEMORY CARD slot x 2
USB connector x 2
NETWORK connector x 1 (100BASE-TX/10BASE-T)
LINE connector x 1 (modem : RJ-11C)
DC IN 8.5V connector x 1
AV MULTI OUT connector x 1
DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL ) connector x 1
Infrared I/R Receiver

How did you set up your aux to get perfect audio quality?
Old 12-21-2004, 05:34 PM
Team Anthracite Member

For the AUX, I bought a Blitzsafe adapter which works because I have the Canadian model TL which doesn't have XM so there's a free AUX port on the head unit. I had a problem with the unit (I think it was defective), so I have returned it for now. But when it worked, it was a perfect sounding connection. I'm going to use it when I hook up the PS/2 and have some kind of multiplexer like the AVElectronic unit. Also, it's nice that the PS/2 is 8.5V DC, I can build some kind of voltage converter and keep everything in the DC domain. No inverter.

Thanks for the info, I checked it out on the Future Shop website. I was just too lazy to measure the inside of the glove box.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:31 AM
tkx
05.TL.WDP.DYN.NAVI

Can you give me more details? I would love to get a PS2 and DVD for my TL. I also have a Canadian model.

More info please
Old 12-30-2004, 07:37 AM
VTEC HoooA

I love XM, but would love to have an extra input to play DVD's. I guess this is one area where the Canadian model has us beat. Acura if you are listening get rid of the archaic tape player and provide an AUX input for other devices (ipod, DVD, games etc).

In regards to the PS2, does it have a read ahead buffer? If not that thing will probably be skipping all over the place while the car is in motion.
Old 12-30-2004, 07:57 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I tried using the blitzsafe for the ps2 a while back but i kept getting a buzzing thru the speakers sound whenever the ps2 was on.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:06 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Well, my replacement Blitzsafe adapter is arriving today so I'll probably be installing it this weekend. For now, I'm just going to be prewiring the guy to have a PS2 in the glove box, screens on the headrests, iPod (general purpose A/V AUX port in the console compartment) and the AV Electronic (or similar) in the trunk. I'll be using the console AUX port right off the bat for an iPod but the rest I won't do until 1) I have money to afford everything and 2) DMS3 comes out with a solderless chip for the V12 PS2.

The V12 PS2 is the new slim PS2 which is a LOT smaller than the original and will fit in the glove compartment. I'm not sure if it has a read-ahead buffer. That's a good question. I'll shake my old V9 PS2 while playing a movie to see how it behaves.

tkx, the adapter you need to get an AUX port on our stock head unit is this:

http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/produ...?productid=200

You don't need to buy the option with the Navigation. That's for other cars. Our CD-changer port is completely free as it's the port XM radio normally uses on the US head units. The first time I bought the adapter, it didn't work. The replacement is arriving today. I'd wait until I give it a good test before you buy it. I'll post everything up once I know. I'll put a link in my sig, so it'll appear even in this thread.

To do the video, you'll have to buy either Sokolov's adapter or the AV Electronic. I'm tending towards the AV Electronic because I want more than one input and I want to be able to switch between them. The only thing is the AVE box is VERY expensive. I'm hoping to find one on eBay or maybe someone has one left over. I want AVE because I need 2 or 3 inputs and definitely 3 outputs (1 for the Navi screen and 2 for the LCDs on the headrests).

For now, that's all the info I can give you, I'll have more as I do the job myself.

Rob
Old 01-01-2005, 12:17 PM
VTEC HoooA

Good luck with the install and keep us posted!!
Old 01-01-2005, 01:38 PM
Team Anthracite Member

OK guys, I need some help. I need to convert the car's 12V to 8.5V for the PSTwo, but it needs 45 watts, so around 5 amps. Does anyone know how to do this? Please let me know. Thanks!
Old 01-01-2005, 01:42 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 01-01-2005, 03:54 PM
Team Anthracite Member

I completely agree and would say the same thing myself. Thing is, I haven't even bought the PSTwo yet OR the AV Electronic unit or the LCD screens. I'm prewiring the whole car and making sure everything is going to be possible before I drop so much money. The AVE box is the most expensive. I really wish there was a cheaper alternative. The electronics in there definitely aren't worth $525 US... anyone know a cheaper way to get one? I checked eBay and didn't find anything.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:34 PM
At least I'm housebroken.

If you don't care about XM, could you just unplug it and get the AUX input back?
Old 01-06-2005, 04:29 PM
Intermediate

You might want to rethink the PS2 for the car I am not sure if it is designed to take all that bouncing around! I would imagine that the ones that are made for cas are designed for that just my opinion.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:02 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Tl_CLT,

You might be able to pull out the XM and get the AUX back. I'm really not sure. I've never seen the back of the US model head unit.

I imagine it would work, but I'm really not sure.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:34 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Well, I got my replacement AUX adapter and it doesn't work either.

It works sometimes, but most of the time not. If I connect the adapter WHILE the head unit is on it'll work but not if you turn the car on with the adapter already connected. This is killing me.

I called Blitzsafe and they said: "The adapter only works in the 2004 TL, not the 2005". Which is obviously ridiculous. I'm sure the part number for both head units is exactly the same -- can anyone confirm that? I'm going to call them back today and say that I checked with Acura and the head units are the same.

I tried to remove the bus lines from the harness of the AUX adapter to see if maybe just sending audio to the AUX port would work but the head unit didn't even see an AUX adapter installed. ARGH!!

If anyone can help with this, it would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-11-2005, 11:51 AM
Instructor

Hey Zax123, just an idea but I noticed when the car is set in the U.S mode it would check for the XM radio and then leave it red in the diagnostic test. Maybe if you switch back to the U.S. mode it will check the port and find your aux, or maybe turn on your ipod on first and then start the car.

Would be a pain if that did work but just an idea.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:52 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Really? Hmm! Very interesting. Thanks for that, I'll definitely try that. You never know. This is really starting to get to me. It should be easy to do, but they make it so difficult. I'll try that tonight for sure.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:59 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Mike, what's the key sequence to get into that second config screen again?

MAP/GUIDE, MENU, CANCEL for a few seconds
then
??

If you remember. Thanks!
Old 01-11-2005, 02:22 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by zax123
Mike, what's the key sequence to get into that second config screen again?

MAP/GUIDE, MENU, CANCEL for a few seconds
then
??

If you remember. Thanks!

Ya thats it I'm not sure what you push after that but its on the screen, you'll figure it out as soon as the screen comes up.
Old 01-11-2005, 02:29 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Oh I thought you had to go into another hidden menu once you got into the first hidden menu.

I've spoken to a couple people (Soundgate included) and they say the TL firmware is very glitchy and that currently there is NO approved adapter on the market and if someone (autotoys included I guess) says there is, they are lying.

That wasn't very encouraging.

So what I've realized is if the adapter isn't powered when I turn on the head unit, and I connect it AFTER the head unit is turned on, I can usually get it working. So for now, I'm going to put a switch on the AUX adapter's power line and turn it on only when I need it. Maybe that'll do it.

Other than that, I'm hoping someone will figure out the TL's firmware and make an approved adapter!
Old 01-12-2005, 09:24 AM
Team Anthracite Member

I've finally got my AUX in "working". I bought a Blitzsafe adapter which supposedly works for the TL. Well, turns out it's TL support is flaky at best. What I've discovered is if you connect the adapter AFTER the head unit has been turned on it always works. Problem is, the AUX adapter plugs into the AUX port behind the head unit. Since I'm doing a LOT of wiring in my car (for LCD screens, PS2, iPod integration, etc), I'm just going to run a switch to my center console (there's already one there to change the Navi screen to video input from the PS2) and have that switch power on the AUX adapter whenever I want AUX in. Then you press the CD/DVD button twice and it switches to CD-C mode and you have hardwired AUX in. FINALLY. The sound quality is incredible. Just a pain to have to turn the box on and off. Oh well.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:38 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 01-12-2005, 04:40 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Dark's message was "This thread is useless without pics". I promise they are coming. It's quite an involved install, and it's taking over several weekends to do it...