USB Storage for MP3s in our TL's...

Old 07-03-2012, 12:13 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb USB Storage for MP3s in our TL's...

I've been looking for a way to increase the music capabilities in my TL for the longest time now and have been looking into some possibilities that can be problematic.

I use to be an owner of a Toyota Celica GTS with a Pioneer Head unit with USB connection. Having a USB connection was such a beautiful thing being that I had a 140 GB hard drive (half full with various music). This thing was pretty much a jukebox with endless music. I'm trying to get that USB capability into my TL somehow.

Other solutions:

Possibilty 1 - Burning MP3 via CD-R:
Thank you Acura for thinking of this solution being that you've created such a spectacular car for an all-around audience but I think you were one generation too late when you decided to add in the USB capability in TLs. Even KIA offers this standard in all their vehicles. CD-Rs, at least for me, doesn't give me enough storage to enjoy a two hour trip to New York.

Possibility 2 - MP3 Player/iPod/iPhone to AUX:
This is great and has been my temporary solution since the TL purchase. I just hate having to look away from my driving to look down at my iPhone, change music, look back up and realize at the last second I may have to slam on my brakes to prevent some serious damage. Safety has been a concern for me here much like texting and driving states have been fighting to ban.

Possibility 3 - Aftermarket Radio:
With the limitations of the stock factory radio, it doesn't seem possible to even install an aftermarket radio without losing the ability to control the radio through our steering wheel. One thing I have thought out was the ability to install an aftermarket radio (with USB) under the dash or in the glove box and connect it via AUX. All it would need is power.

Possibility 4 - Creating my own unit:
It'd be nice if a company would create an MP3 Player with USB Storage. Plug-in a flash drive and go. It would look something like a dash-mountable SiriusXM unit or a GPS and stick a thumb drive or two on the side. If anyone has seen anything like this, let me know. This would be better then previous solutions.

Any valid non-sarcastic thoughts, comments, ideas, advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-03-2012, 12:35 PM
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
I believe this is possible to get a directory listing and such on a non-navi TL with the DICE media bridge. I am planning on getting my TL fitted with a PXAMG and HD Radio component which I can control the iPod from my steering wheel controls.

Check out these links for more info from other users.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/dice-vs-usaspec-621703/
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/3g-tl-audio-electronics-faq-605299/
The following users liked this post:
BoricuaTEK02 (07-03-2012)
Old 07-03-2012, 01:25 PM
8th Gear

That's not bad and thank you for the quick feedback. My TL-S has the NAV Screen. I wonder if they would have a product for my ride.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:01 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Another link/video.

The following 2 users liked this post by fleming23:
97acuraCLL (05-15-2014), BoricuaTEK02 (07-04-2012)
Old 07-03-2012, 03:11 PM
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
You can burn DVD-A Dual Layer. Niether of my cars (04 and 06) will play mp3s off of a CD.

If you have a 2007-2008, you can use the aux input (3.5MM jack).

Most of us just use an iSimple and use an iPod.
BoricuaTEK02 (07-04-2012)
Old 07-04-2012, 06:45 AM
8th Gear

I guess that looks to be the best solution, Fleming23. Thank you guys. I'm very stubborn and even my wife knows it. LoL. I still would rather have a straight up USB connection and would like to see file directories much like using a burned CD-R full of MP3s.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:54 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by jda123
You can burn DVD-A Dual Layer. Niether of my cars (04 and 06) will play mp3s off of a CD.

If you have a 2007-2008, you can use the aux input (3.5MM jack).

Most of us just use an iSimple and use an iPod.
DVD-A sounds a bit sophisticated to burn as I've read the FAQ on here. AUX has been my primary way of listening to music through my iPhone. What Fleming23 showed will be the best thing for my needs. Other than that, if I figure out another way to get my 130GB Hard Drive back in the TL, I'll let you guys know too. It's a real blessing to have. I hate iTunes and the time it wastes. I would love my iPhone more if I could just drag and drop MP3s to it. iTunes is like a bouncer at a club, ain't nobody going in or out but through him.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:52 AM
8th Gear

I found some other suitable solutions that would work with video integration. Just thinking out of the box.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:47 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
I have a 2008 TL-S with navigation, and am looking at USB functionality in my car. I am tired of constantly burning CDs to listen to new music in my car. I want the ability to listen to MP3s using the AUX input via USB port.

Since I know the 2008 TL-Ss don't come with USb ports, is there a device that I can buy that converts the AUX input into a USB port, and that can plug into the cigarette lighter adapter in the center console storage bin to provide power to a portable music hard drive? Don't really care all THAT much for music to be displayed on the navigation screen, I just want ability to control the USB portable music hard drive through steering wheel controls, and that the portable hard drive would turn off once I turn the car off, but start back up again once I get back into the car.

By the way, I don't have XM right now, so I could use that port if I needed to, but would rather stick to just plugging something into the AUX input port in the center console that provides a USB input to a portable music hard drive.

Or heck, what about a portable music player/storage unit that has an AUX output via 1/8" headphone jack that can be charged via USB cable? I can get a USB/cigarette lighter adapter easily.

Do I even have the ability to search songs using the steering wheel controls for the AUX input?

Last edited by gatrhumpy; 05-08-2014 at 09:01 AM.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:12 AM
Racer

@Gatrhumpy,

Watch the Video in my post from 2012. The dice media bridge demo shows that a USB Thumb drive can be connected and play music from that and control from the steering wheel.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:47 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Originally Posted by imakeholesinu
@Gatrhumpy,

Watch the Video in my post from 2012. The dice media bridge demo shows that a USB Thumb drive can be connected and play music from that and control from the steering wheel.
So it's compatible with TL-Ss with navigation, right?
Old 05-08-2014, 11:44 AM
W_L
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/check-out-my-custom-navtool-setup-installation-898645/
Old 05-09-2014, 11:39 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
I have a 2008 TL-S with navigation, and am looking at USB functionality in my car. I am tired of constantly burning CDs to listen to new music in my car. I want the ability to listen to MP3s using the AUX input via USB port.

Since I know the 2008 TL-Ss don't come with USb ports, is there a device that I can buy that converts the AUX input into a USB port, and that can plug into the cigarette lighter adapter in the center console storage bin to provide power to a portable music hard drive? Don't really care all THAT much for music to be displayed on the navigation screen, I just want ability to control the USB portable music hard drive through steering wheel controls, and that the portable hard drive would turn off once I turn the car off, but start back up again once I get back into the car.

By the way, I don't have XM right now, so I could use that port if I needed to, but would rather stick to just plugging something into the AUX input port in the center console that provides a USB input to a portable music hard drive.

Or heck, what about a portable music player/storage unit that has an AUX output via 1/8" headphone jack that can be charged via USB cable? I can get a USB/cigarette lighter adapter easily.

Do I even have the ability to search songs using the steering wheel controls for the AUX input?
You are an engineer, right? The AUX port is an analog port. How are you going to "convert" it to a digital port (i.e. USB)?

google the iSimple connect -- or look for info about it here.

On the other hand -- the phrase I've bolded above describes any iPod or similar device or any iPhone or Android phone.

Last edited by tmandel; 05-09-2014 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:33 PM
Racer

So it's compatible with TL-Ss with navigation, right?
According to their installation guide (http://audiovox.diceelectronics.com/..._rev012012.pdf) it appears so.

Though I may be mistaken it says it is not supported by the tech package. So our TL-S's might be out of luck. In any case the iSIMPLE may be the way to go.

Last edited by imakeholesinu; 05-09-2014 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:14 AM
Intermediate

Here: http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...&CategoryID=36

And, on Amazon:
Amazon.com: ISIMPLE ISHD651 Premium Factory Radio Interface for Android(TM) & iPad(R)/iPhone(R)/iPod(R): MP3 Players & Accessories Amazon.com: ISIMPLE ISHD651 Premium Factory Radio Interface for Android(TM) & iPad(R)/iPhone(R)/iPod(R): MP3 Players & Accessories

Note:

Vehicle MUST have the ability to support Satellite Radio
* Radio must have an "XM" or "SAT" button to be compatible
* If vehicle is equipped with factory satellite radio it must be disconnected. (i.e. this will cost you your xm/sat radio -- tho you can buy an add-on xm radio from them if needed)
* Vehicles equipped with XM Nav-Traffic are not compatible

Note last point...
Old 05-11-2014, 03:57 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Originally Posted by tmandel
Here: http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...&CategoryID=36

And, on Amazon: Amazon.com: ISIMPLE ISHD651 Premium Factory Radio Interface for Android(TM) & iPad(R)/iPhone(R)/iPod(R): MP3 Players & Accessories.

Note:

Vehicle MUST have the ability to support Satellite Radio
* Radio must have an "XM" or "SAT" button to be compatible
* If vehicle is equipped with factory satellite radio it must be disconnected. (i.e. this will cost you your xm/sat radio -- tho you can buy an add-on xm radio from them if needed)
* Vehicles equipped with XM Nav-Traffic are not compatible

Note last point...
So, 08 TL-S, or no?
Old 05-11-2014, 06:05 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So, 08 TL-S, or no?
Nav traffic Acuras need the PGHHD2 harness instead oh the PGHHD1 harness that comes with the iSimple. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:21 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Originally Posted by PhiSigBrotha
Nav traffic Acuras need the PGHHD2 harness instead oh the PGHHD1 harness that comes with the iSimple. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
What if you don't use the NavTraffic?
Old 05-11-2014, 07:06 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What if you don't use the NavTraffic?
Still need the other harness. I tried the PDHHG1 harness since I had it already and won't work. I'm not using NavTraffic either.
gatrhumpy (05-12-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 07:48 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Originally Posted by PhiSigBrotha
Still need the other harness. I tried the PDHHG1 harness since I had it already and won't work. I'm not using NavTraffic either.
Gotcha. Thanks man!
Old 05-12-2014, 03:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
You can go aftermarket radio too and just buy the steering wheels control module which will allow you to continue using steering wheel controls. They are pretty easy to install too. That's what i did in my 05 TL Non-Navi. I kept Factory Amp and Factory Sub. Lost BlueTooth but gained a better one through my deck and kept steering wheel controls with module. The only thing i lost was the center speaker on my dash. If i had the NAVI model i could have just hooked up center speaker to NAVI.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:14 AM
Intermediate

garthumpy -- note the toll free tech support number on pac audio's site. I'd certainly call them before making a move.

It's true, of course, that you could also simply install a new head unit, though I'm not sure why you would (assuming the isimple product will work for you w/ a different harness).

I've found the guys at Crutchfield to be very helpful, btw.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:22 AM
10th Gear

what about the Grom adapter, I was considering it for its usb input since it supported flac

http://www.gromaudio.com/store/all-hon1.html
Old 02-12-2019, 10:41 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Reviving this one since I'm looking into this right now.

To those who do not know yet, the iSimple ISHD651 does NOT work with the 07-08 TL-S. Tried it myself with no good results. Can sell mine if a non TL-S owner wants it. Only the ISHD571 can work with a TL-S, but you don't have USB playback.

Which got me trying to find a different solution, and like 6spd04TL, I found the Grom adapter. Saw a few other threads that mentioned that it worked well, but haven't seen any installation threads. Has anyone done one?
Old 02-12-2019, 11:03 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Forget about the install thread, found this video on Youtube from Grom:

Basically the same as the iSimple but with the added step of unplugging the XM receiver.

I noticed something about "SAT firmware", is this something that needs to be done in order for it to work properly?