USAspec won't charge 3G IPHONES?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 01:17 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
USAspec won't charge 3G IPHONES?

Got a new 3g iphone on Friday. Plugged it into my USAspec aux adapter..it won't charge it! It will play through the stereo but won't charge. My 1st gen iphone charged just fine...WTF? Anyone have a solution other than having a car charger and swapping them back and forth?
Old 07-15-2008, 01:26 PM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
damn, that sucks! another reason i am glad i didnt go with the iphone...

hope you figure out a solution
Old 07-15-2008, 02:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,999 Likes on 1,420 Posts
maybe the IPHONE won't allow charging with non-apple supported products...
Old 07-15-2008, 03:00 PM

Received 5,912 Likes on 2,913 Posts
Have you contacted USA Spec directly to see if they know anything about this?
Old 07-15-2008, 03:20 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
sucks, hopefully my Dice will. If not I have a charger anyways.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:32 PM
B16 Swapped TL

Originally Posted by csmeance
maybe the IPHONE won't allow charging with non-apple supported products...
It's called the Apple Tax. Apple started integrating microchips into Ipods and Iphones that weed out the non-apple certified accessories. Pretty much guaranteeing anything newer than the 5.5GIpod requires an apple licensed product. This raises the prices of all accessories and makes products for 5.5G and older Ipods incompatible with new Ipods.

This is the same type of business practice that got Microsoft in trouble with the EU.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:39 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
The new DICE unit will not charge the 3G iPhone, either. My friend just verified that for me.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:52 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that the new 3g's only charged via usb.....maybe I'm wrong
Old 07-15-2008, 07:38 PM
Instructor

damn those iphones!... lol
Old 07-17-2008, 07:02 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by lembowski
I thought I read somewhere that the new 3g's only charged via usb.....maybe I'm wrong
You are correct about the new 3G iPhone only charges via the usb pins, its really not apples fault, you should blame the accessories manufactures for getting a little lazy and using the fire wire pins to charge instead of the usb ones that have been there since the first iPhone. It does still suck though. Side note I happen to speak with a person at Neo Car Audio who said that they plan on having a replacement cable ready in a couple of weeks.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:59 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by iTL07
You are correct about the new 3G iPhone only charges via the usb pins, its really not apples fault, you should blame the accessories manufactures for getting a little lazy and using the fire wire pins to charge instead of the usb ones that have been there since the first iPhone. It does still suck though. Side note I happen to speak with a person at Neo Car Audio who said that they plan on having a replacement cable ready in a couple of weeks.
I do blame Apple somewhat. They changed the specs on the charging, knowing full well that many charging solutions for the iPod use Firewire.

That being said, supposedly companies are already working on adaptors.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:52 AM
Instructor

This is a problem with almost every old Ipod/iphone accessory out there. I contacted Peripheral about this issue and my PXAMG. Im sure there are going to be solutions shortly... On a good note, i drove for 4 hours and played the music via the iphone the whole time, had 4 phone calls during the trip and still had about 2/3rds battery life when i got home.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:37 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SporkLover
It's called the Apple Tax. Apple started integrating microchips into Ipods and Iphones that weed out the non-apple certified accessories. Pretty much guaranteeing anything newer than the 5.5GIpod requires an apple licensed product. This raises the prices of all accessories and makes products for 5.5G and older Ipods incompatible with new Ipods.

This is the same type of business practice that got Microsoft in trouble with the EU.

A company in business to make money? Wow. How do they sleep at night knowing they aren't giving away their products for free?
Old 07-24-2008, 10:36 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by izmyttz
Got a new 3g iphone on Friday. Plugged it into my USAspec aux adapter..it won't charge it! It will play through the stereo but won't charge. My 1st gen iphone charged just fine...WTF? Anyone have a solution other than having a car charger and swapping them back and forth?
Ok, people, calm down.

USA Spec has responded to me on this issue, check the forum thread here:
https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/dreamcast-w-controllers-vmu-games-173870/
Old 07-24-2008, 10:40 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by SporkLover

Whatever.

I had this problem with my 1G iPhone... the only thing it does is pop up a message saying "the accessory isn't designed for..." -- it still charged and played audio perfectly.

Check this thread here for details:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173870
Old 07-25-2008, 03:04 AM
71Q

the only thing i can comment on is a car charger from the 1g(edge) phone to a 3g phone

my 1g phone charges fine with a scosche usb-12volt adapter, using the apple usb-iphone cable. It will not charge with some of the older ipod cables, but has with one, with the button on the side. The 3g iphone would not work with any, however, unless it uses the apple supplied cable.
I managed to plug my 1g phone into a 3g dock, it fit, just not well at the apple store in tampa. It popped up as it were charging, and i promptly removed it. Sucks they change all that stuff each time, damn con artists.

The 3g phone would also pop up with the battery charging screen while locked, and display the charging icon while in the home screen, but would not even charge while plugged in for 1+hrs.

Strange stuff really, its a shame everything apple makes has to be proprietary...

good luck!
mark
Old 07-26-2008, 12:57 AM
Racer

check this one as well

http://www.everythingicafe.com/forum...y-21044-2.html
Old 08-01-2008, 02:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a new adapter coming out soon that will fix this problem
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/new...rge-converter/
Old 08-02-2008, 08:39 AM
Instructor

I saw this same adapter about a week ago... but at 40 bucks im sure that all the other companies will be selling them within a month or so, and it will be much cheaper...
Old 08-03-2008, 04:03 PM
3rd Gear

What about the iSimple ISIM71 ??

I have an email off to these guys - they sell a lot of their inventory through Best Buy and suspect they must have the same cable issue. I just wonder what they do with all of this inventory! Selling it isn't right obviously.

Anyone talked to them?
Old 08-04-2008, 09:30 PM
3rd Gear

Peripheral Tech Input

CHECK THIS OUT! So I send an email to Peripheral tech support and I get the following response. Thoughts?

Here is what I sent:

====
Comments: Hi, I have a 2005 Acura TL w/o Nav and on this product: ISIM71 iSimple Media Gateway, I had several questions. I have an iPhone 3g and I assume that is compatable - if not let me know. 1. Will steering wheel controls for song advance, volume and "mode" which switches from radio to CD and now to iPod with this adapter function with the iPhone connected to this unit? 2. Will text for song name, artist, etc. appear on the factory radio in the 05 TL from the iPhone 3g? Im pretty interested in this so if you could let me know Id appreciate it!
====

Here is the response:

Mark,
Thank you for the inquiry. I am hesitant to have you purchase the ISIM71 for your application at this time. I have been getting reports of radio operation being slowed down dramatically in the TL. Our Research and Development team are trying to find out what is causing the issues at this time.

XXXXX
Technical Advisor

====

I"m not sure if this is because the nature of my inquiry relates to using an iphone 3g, a basic problem with the unit and the TL - he seems to write this is such a general sense. I'm replying to him and trying to find out more....
Old 09-03-2008, 02:38 PM
Instructor

Any update on the availability/price for USA Spec's iphone 3G replacement cable?
Old 09-03-2008, 04:16 PM
Instructor

A quick fix charging solution that I decided to go with is to purchase a cigarette charger that has a USB port. I use the iphone's cable, plug it in and it charges, no problem. Cost me $12 from Target.

Then to listen to the iphone's music, I use the USA Spec's RCA inputs via the mini out on the iphone.

Also, for you iphone guys. Download the Simplify Media app for the iphone (www.simplifymedia.com) It's free, and it allows you to access your itunes library via EDGE, 3G or Wi-Fi from anywhere. It basically renders the built-in ipod useless. I can access my 80 gig home library from anywhere and you can invite up to 30 friends and share libraries. Currently I have it set up for myself and two friends, and we have access to over 29,000 songs anywhere we have a cellular or wi-fi connection. This also works while I am driving in the car. It's awesome! It also works on your home/office computers, not limited to just the iphone.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:00 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Thanks for posting this^^!!! I knew this program was in the works but forgot about!! Its amazing what we can do with the iphone!!
Old 09-07-2008, 01:14 AM
mrrocan red '07 tl-s

there is a tech guy on here from peripheral i forgot exactly where i saw him on here but he has been super helpful to other members with the radio lag etc. -and i almost purchased the pxamg but it saysin the fine print that it will not charge the iphone and may not display the text on the navi screen, but other members say it works fine-trouble is w/the xm ('07 tls w/navi) service. i had mine switched out w/sirius a long time ago as did a couple others and they say there is zero lag etc. look for the member from peripheral he's pretty good about getting back to ya or posting info
Old 11-19-2008, 01:16 AM
TCU Frogs!

usaspec now has the new iphone 3g/4g nano/2g touch cable available for purchase through their website for 18.95. i'm gonna be ordering mine after thanksgiving since i'll be out of town until then. has anybody already gotten it? i know it shouldn't be any different physically but was just wondering if it somehow fixed the occasional skipping.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:13 PM
Pro

re

this is great news!!!! anyone tried it yet?
Old 11-20-2008, 12:54 PM
Cruisin'

just shot off an email to purchase it... don't see a link or option to buy it off the site?
Old 11-20-2008, 01:32 PM
TCU Frogs!

Originally Posted by landshark99
just shot off an email to purchase it... don't see a link or option to buy it off the site?
i've been in contact with them for the past month or so. hang on, lemme dig up the email with all the information so that everyone can upgrade.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:33 PM
TCU Frogs!

Dear Customer,

USA SPEC is ready to deliver the cable with built-in Firewire to USB charging conversion circuitry for your USA SPEC iPod to car stereo interface adaptor.

The cable will keep the iPhone 3G, iTouch 2nd Generation, iPod nano-chromatic and all previous iPod models charged while the iPod plays back music on your car stereo via a USA SPEC interface adaptor.

This cable replaces the cable being connected between your iPod and USA SPEC interface adaptor.

There are two conversion cable models:

l The CB-PA85 is for PA10 series, PA11 series and PA12 series interface adaptors.

l The CB-PA105 is for PA15 series and PA20 series interface adaptors.

Price for this cable is $14.00 plus $4.50 shipping. To order, please either call Eva at 626-3363836 or mail your check to USA SPEC to the address below. Please make check payable to USA SPEC

USA SPEC

167 Mason Way, A-2

City of Industry, CA 91746

The $4.50 flat rate shipping applies to shipments within the United Sates only. For non-US address please reply to email for shipping cost.

If order by phone, please provide:

a) The model number of your iPod to car interface adaptor.

b) Your credit card information

c) Your mailing address

If order with personal check, mail your check with following information:

a) The model number of your iPod to car interface adaptor.

b) Your mailing address

All orders will be shipped via Priority Mail. It takes approximately 4 to 5 days to arrive.

NOTE: If you have iPhone 3G, please read the attachment for important information!!

Thank you,
Old 11-20-2008, 01:35 PM
TCU Frogs!

And here is the attached word document with important information for iPhone 3G users:

Dear Customer,

During the development of Firewire to USB charging conversion cable, we have found that the iPhone 3G is able to be charged at a higher electric current level than other iPod models.

For all owners of iPhone 3G, USA SPEC wants to offer you a free service to fine-tune the iPod interface adaptors for achieving the optimum charging performance. This fine-tuning is not mandatory, but is recommended. USA SPEC interfaces will work properly with your iPhone 3G even you choose not to do the tuning.

If you are interested in this fine-tuning service, please let us know at the time of ordering your new cable so the return of your iPod interface can be arranged. This offer is valid until January 31, 2009. You are responsible for the shipping expenses to send your iPod interface to us for service.

If the installation of iPod interface was done by a hired professional installer, we can arrange for you to receive a pre-optimized interface adaptor through our Advance Replacement Program. We offer this so the new charging cable and the pre-optimized iPod interface adaptor can be installed by your installer in one trip. Please indicate if the Advance Replacement is desired when you order the new cable.

The Advance Replacement Program will require a $60 deposit by credit card. We will refund you the $60 in full as soon as your original iPod interface adaptor is received by USA SPEC. You are responsible for the shipping expenses to return your iPod interface to us.

Thank you.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:01 PM
Instructor

Huh?
Old 11-27-2008, 02:25 AM
Cruisin'

the new usa spec cable is available. charges and functions well. i received mine for $18.50 shipped.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:11 PM
6th Gear

USA Spec PA15-HON2 now has full charging ability

http://www.usaspec.com/product.php?ProductID=29
Old 06-26-2009, 06:23 PM
4th Gear

I heard that the PA15-HON3 will be out mid July '09. It will change all iPods and show all text on Navi screen in XM mode.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:08 PM
6th Gear

I put in an order for the Hon3 USA SPEC. I've been waiting for over a month now to get it. I tried ordering it myself, but all of the online sellers of the device, list only the HON2. Nobody, after an exhaustive effort, seems to have the HON3. Where exactly do I get this device? I am having it installed in the center console. But I don't seem to be able to pick this up.

Someone offered the iSimple, but I've heard nothing but misery stories from many in regards to fidelity etc. Strange, because I thought that they were the same devices rebranded.

Anyway, if anyone has a HON3, please let me know where to get it.

Thanks
Old 04-12-2012, 01:51 PM
07 WDP Type S

I have an iphone4 Verizon version and I had problems with the charging through my cig adaptor but then I realized that the iPod charger and iPhone 4 charger for USB are slightly different and the prongs don't fully plug in unless you remove the plastic cover. I just bought a 10 pack of usb to iphone cables on eBay for 12.99. They work for iPod and iPhone alike. Hope this helps.