The usage of NAV

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 10:24 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb The usage of NAV

I just get my 04 TL/nav.

The nav is pretty cool, however I wonder if it will cost me more gas if I turn it on everytime. I can just leave it on if I drive to any unfamilar place if it cost too much. I'm broken by purchase this car

How are you guys using nav?
Old 06-11-2007, 10:41 PM
śïιέит вµт đέαđιý

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have it on most the time but dont reallie use it and i still get around 370km per tank on Ultra94 and i just drive it normal without speeding it and things and I dont even think that the NAV system has anything to do with the gas because it just uses power from the battery, its like using a cd player while driving i guess...correct me if im wrong
Old 06-11-2007, 10:47 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by seable
The nav is pretty cool, however I wonder if it will cost me more gas if I turn it on everytime. I can just leave it on if I drive to any unfamilar place if it cost too much.
Using the Navi is supposed to save you gas-- you won't drive around lost looking for places as much.

I would imagine the electrical draw from the Navi system is inconsequential and that the engine is not running detectably harder due to added draw from the Navi.

I usually leave the Navi off (to minimize potential for screen burn-in, although the screen is LCD) unless I'm looking for an alternate route, going somewhere unfamiliar or want to use voice commands.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:51 PM
Pro

The navi is a gas hog, so make sure you turn it OFF if you don't need it!!

Seriously, turning on or off the navi has NO EFFECT on gas. Well, if you follow the navi's directions to go to a destination, sometimes you may end up spending more gas because it may direct you to take a longer route, particularly if you tell the navi to avoid tolled roads.

You really need to read the manual carefully to make full usage of the navi, which needs practice because it has many features and voice commands. Good luck!
Old 06-11-2007, 10:53 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Will Y.
Using the Navi is supposed to save you gas-- you won't drive around lost looking for places as much.

I would imagine the electrical draw from the Navi system is inconsequential and that the engine is not running detectably harder due to added draw from the Navi.

I usually leave the Navi off (to minimize potential for screen burn-in, although the screen is LCD) unless I'm looking for an alternate route, going somewhere unfamiliar or want to use voice commands.
LCD still have burn-in problem? I use the audio screen a lot
Old 06-11-2007, 10:59 PM
Pro

Using the audio screen constantly may cause burn in because it is a static display. On the other hand, the navi is a moving map display, which is highly unlikely to cause burn in. I have never heard of navis having burn in problems..
Old 06-11-2007, 11:22 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
Like kenny5 said, I haven't heard of burn-in being an issue with the Navi LCD screens either. I just noted that the Navi screen was an LCD screen to indicate that I was likely being too cautious, as I'm not aware of any burn-in issues with LCDs.
I'm old school-- after all, I'm still playing cassettes, too.

And that was a good point kenny5 had about Navi sometimes using an indirect route-- you should choose the direct route (which I think is the default) to minimize time and gas consumption while driving around looking for destinations!
Old 06-12-2007, 01:03 PM
Instructor

I just get my 04 TL/nav.

The nav is pretty cool, however I wonder if it will cost me more gas if I turn it on everytime. I can just leave it on if I drive to any unfamilar place if it cost too much. I'm broken by purchase this car

How are you guys using nav?
Are you serious??..............why would you think it makes you burn more gas??,it's electrical!
Old 06-12-2007, 01:29 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DaddysOnehotAck
Are you serious??..............why would you think it makes you burn more gas??,it's electrical!
Word. Navi has no effect on gas whatsoever.