Usa spec pa15-acuxl

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 10:22 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Usa spec pa15-acuxl

I have an 07 TL-S and i am in the market for i-pod interface..i am leaning towards the new one by usa spec..what do you guys think?
anybody used it yet?
Old 10-02-2009, 10:41 PM
Codename Duchess

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts
I have it. It works just like the PA15 HON2/3, it just works on the systems w/ Nav Traffic. It is a pretty acceptable option.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:31 PM
1st Gear

I just purchased one through http://www.mp3carpros.com/index.php and it looks like you can connect it through the xm tuner, which is located in the trunk of my '06 RL (the same for the '07 TL). If that's the case, I'll be happy I don't have to tear apart my dash.

Will keep you updated on how it goes.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:52 PM
Intermediate

I just bought this one too and it was my understanding that you still had to remove the dash. I will get mine on Wed in the mail and plan to attempt a DIY approach. If that fails, someone on here had a great experience at Best Buy. I'll try them. If that fails, I'll go to the shop that I got my sub and amp installed at. See the note from someone there...

As far as installation - This is a do-it-yourselfer project and many people can do this. But remember - If at any time you don’t feel comfortable doing this, take it to ANY local installer (from best buy, to a small mom&pop). The installers basic training qualifies them to be able to do this. The hardest part of the install is removing the radio and that is what they do ALL day long. Best plan is to get this kit first, then decide if you can do it, or you want to pay an installer.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:00 PM
Full A-Spec 08 CBP TL-S

wait a minute will this one gives you text? Im about to switch my PA15 HON2y for this one
Old 10-05-2009, 09:16 PM
Instructor

it's supposed to give the info on the display..just like the isimple.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:45 PM
Full A-Spec 08 CBP TL-S

Originally Posted by kipros
it's supposed to give the info on the display..just like the isimple.
Thanks just ordered will be installing this week, anyone wanna buy a regular usa spec
Old 10-06-2009, 07:52 PM

Received 5,920 Likes on 2,918 Posts
Originally Posted by WVUNavyvet
I just bought this one too and it was my understanding that you still had to remove the dash. I will get mine on Wed in the mail and plan to attempt a DIY approach. If that fails, someone on here had a great experience at Best Buy. I'll try them. If that fails, I'll go to the shop that I got my sub and amp installed at. See the note from someone there...
Install Assistance - https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/i-160-usa-spec-install-633080/
Old 10-06-2009, 08:17 PM
Instructor

some of you guys that installed it, let us know how it works.
and maybe where you bought it from..
thanks
Old 10-07-2009, 03:56 AM
10th Gear

I had this installed last week on my 07 TL Type-S w/ Navi. I previously had the Dice Silverline unit on my car, so I will do a write-up on my overall impression.

I bought the Dice Silverline unit when it was first released and had it installed. However, it was a nightmare...full of bugs, and I haven't used the unit since I had it installed, because it was such so glitchy. But since this thread isn't about the Dice, but rather the USA Spec, I won't go into all the problems I've experienced with it.

Recently, I came across the USA Spec PA15-ACUxl, and after reading about what it claimed it can do, I immediately went to the local stereo shop that carries it. They had one in stock, so I bought it and had it installed. I'm happy to say that this unit is exactly what I was looking for in an ipod interface for this car, I love it! There are several critical features on this product that was not on the Dice unit, and does away with the glitches and bugs. The USA Spec unit allows the car to retain XM, has texts displayed on the screen with no XM text bleeding, sound quality is good, and the unit pauses the ipod when calls come through. In default setting, you can control everything through the head unit and it locks the ipod out, but it also has a built-in direct control mode, whereby you can activate the ipod controls, but this mode locks out the headunit controls. It is very easy to switch back and forth. Also, the unit charges everything, from older ipods to the 3GS iphone, and stops charging the unit after the key is pulled from the ignition.

Few minor gripes:
a) cable length was a bit short. I had it installed into the center armrest console...and it barely made it in there. When I am in direct control mode, it is somewhat difficult to see the screen and make selections...my head is virtually inside the armrest when I am trying to control the ipod! I wish it had even just a foot of additional length, I can bring it closer to me. My only option, now, would be to buy a short ipod extension cable, but choices are limited, and prices are not reasonable.

b) texts are static, and therefore limits the total characters displayed. I think the Dice unit had the ability to display more characters by implementing text scroll.

c) the unit allows you to search by playlist, artist, song, album and genre; each category is assigned a preset button. For example, by selecting preset 1, you are in the playlist mode, and you can go through all your playlists. To change selection within each category, you use the seek buttons. And, regardless of what category you are in, you would change songs within that category and selection by turning the tune knob. It is a pain in the arse trying to go through all the choices within each category by pressing the seek button each time. For example, I must have hundreds of artists in my ipod...i have to press the seek button that many times if I want to go through the whole list. The only option if you have many songs, artists, etc., is to switch it to direct ipod control mode. It would have been nicer to be able to use the tune knob for this function, which is how the Dice unit handled it, though this would still be a bit cumbersome and would make you resort to the ipod controls.

d) Looking at the steering wheel controls, the buttons you use to change tracks are associated with the preset buttons on the headunit. However, the preset buttons are linked with the browse categories (playlist, artist, song, etc.). If you want to change tracks using the steering wheel buttons, you have to hold the buttons for a few seconds. This is a little bit annoying, but I don't see how else they could have done it...and once you get used to it, it's not a big deal anyway.

All in all, I am a very satisfied customer. I have been looking at other ipod integration options, and they each seem to have their own set of problems. So I was pleasantly surprised by my experience thus far with the PA15-ACUxl, and I would recommend it to others. I hope I didn't miss anything important, and that my write-up helps in your decision process.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:44 PM
10th Gear

Can you give details on the installation? Exactly where was the plug in the trunk (I understand you don't need to take apart the dash to get to the back of the radio). How did you route the cable? Where did you put the plug to that goes into the iPod? Any drilling?
I have an 07 Acura TL Navi w/ XM traffic.