USA SPEC PA15-ACU XL Installation for Acura TL 2007

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 08:12 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I installed a USA Spec PA15-ACU XL iPod module for a '07 TL. Since there isn't a specific thread about installation of this module for an '07 TL, I thought I'd share. Hope it helps someone.

I read a few other threads before attempting my own installation. They are referenced in the "Reference" section.

PDF

Admin: If you can host the .pdf file somewhere permanent, it would be great.
The following users liked this post:
Sj Espo (05-22-2012)
Old 09-22-2010, 11:58 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey man,

Trying to do this install myself - but the pdf isn't working for me... Could you reload or at least post some pics of the xm nav location in the trunk and how to get to it?

Thanks!
Old 09-23-2010, 02:44 AM
Instructor

1. Remove trunk liner (see picture at end of post) to expose the right rear of the car as pictured below. Remove the door edge plastic trims. You can remove as many pieces as you need/want. I removed all of them all the way to the front passenger area.

2. Loosen the three bolts (orange stars) that secure the XM module (don't completely unscrew the bolts). Slide the bolts toward the larger holes and remove the XM module from behind the metal sheet.

Take a look at
this thread for additional pictures.

3. Connect the PA15-ACU XL wiring harness as detailed in the manual included with the unit. Re-install the XM module.

4. Thread the harness cord through the opening where all the existing wires pass through to the right back seat. Secure the harness cord neatly with plastic ties and trim the excess.

5. Run the hardness cord to the right of the front passenger seat. Pass the cord underneath the seat to the middle (or wherever you want to position your PA15-ACU XL unit). Secure the cord with ties and trim off excess. I also used a Fostner bit to drill a hole where the cord exits the piece of plastic trim to relieve pressure on the cord once the plastic trim is re-installed.

6. In order to store the iPod in the center console armrest, you need to run the iPod cable underneath the armrest to where you position your PA15-ACU XL. Open your armrest console and remove the rubber mat at the bottom. Then remove the plastic cover underneath the rubber mat to expose the underside as pictured in
this thread.

7. Remove the two screws at the bottom of the now exposed center console compartment. Once they are removed, you can gently lift the center console and run the iPod cable to the PA15-ACU XL as pictured below. Use industrial strength Velcro (Lowe's store) to secure the PA15-ACU XL unit to the carpet.

7. Use a 1/4" Fostner bit to drill a hole at the corner of the plastic cover and the rubber mat where the iPod cord will pass through and into the armrest console. For the rubber mat, made a cut from the drilled hole to the edge so that the iPod cord can be neatly passed-through (pictured). Can you find a mistake I made?

8. Hook up your iPod and test it. Put all plastic trims back where they came from. Returned trunk liner to its original place.

By the way, I suggest running to Harbor Freight and buy you one of these to make removing the plastic trims, etc. much easier. They are called "
Auto Trim and Molding Tool Set."

Last edited by T0L8; 09-23-2010 at 02:52 AM. Reason: change
The following 3 users liked this post by T0L8:
puddin1997 (09-12-2011), silvrbreez (01-30-2013), Sj Espo (05-22-2012)
Old 09-25-2010, 07:52 PM
Instructor

Question

Originally Posted by T0L8
I installed a USA Spec PA15-ACU XL iPod module for a '07 TL. Since there isn't a specific thread about installation of this module for an '07 TL, I thought I'd share. Hope it helps someone.

I read a few other threads before attempting my own installation. They are referenced in the "Reference" section.

PDF

Admin: If you can host the .pdf file somewhere permanent, it would be great.
T0L8, any chance you can email me a copy of that PDF? Your link seems to be dead in this thread.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:47 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the pics and instructions, got it installed but went the easy route and kept everything in the trunk because I don't really need to access the ipod. Or so I thought... I've been having problems with the nav unit just going back to xm sat randomly and each time I have to unplug and then plug in the ipod to get it to sync/work again. Any suggestions?
Old 09-28-2010, 03:04 AM
Instructor

mdrosenkrans, I don't have your problem. I had one instance where I can't change PL, but disconnect/reconnect the iPOD solved it. I concludes that this iPOD adapter still has bug. So far, I haven't regret buying it.

PDF
silvrbreez (01-30-2013)
Old 12-28-2010, 04:26 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the Post!

This looks great and is exactly what I was looking for. Where would you recommend picking up the USA spec from?
Old 01-04-2011, 12:23 AM
Racer

How long is the cable that goes to i-pod and the actual PA15 unit? Would rather mount the PA15 unit in trunk, but will i-pod cable reach arm rest center console doing it this way??
Old 01-18-2011, 07:53 PM
Racer

mdrosenkrans, I don't have your problem. I had one instance where I can't change PL, but disconnect/reconnect the iPOD solved it. I concludes that this iPOD adapter still has bug. So far, I haven't regret buying it.

PDF

Any other "bugs" I should know about before I install in the next few days??
Any glitches with factory navigation or stereo?????
Old 02-01-2011, 08:40 PM
Racer

Well I'm having issues with XM radio playback. When changing stations sometimes theres a mute like its going to change stations and then nothing, remains on same station. Other times the music changes but the ch. # stays the same. Other times it also changes the ch. # changes but the music stays the same. It also from time to time says on the LCD display above Navi screen that XM is loading....big time lag issue here, had Acura dealer install it but they installed it under center arm rest console now I don't have access to the USA SPEC PA15 ACUxl unit, may it be a dip switch issue or is this something I'm just gonna have to live with????? HELP!! It's annoying wanting to change channels but don't now really for fear of lag issue, just listen to whatever is currently on whatever XM station I'm listening to, sucks because I'm a channel surfer!!
Old 02-02-2011, 08:45 PM
Racer

^^
Anyone got any info on this matter??
Old 02-20-2011, 11:19 PM
9th Gear

Can this method work with the 2005 TL? I'm having a hard time installing the (USA-Spec PA15-HON3) thru the front console. So i might try doing it from the trunk instead if that's possible.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:41 PM
Cruisin'

Great info! Looking forward to getting something done with my Type-S. Since XM expired time to start looking.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:12 AM
2nd Gear

USA spec causes xm to lag

I'm having the same lag issues with using XM in my '07 TL. The iPod functionally appears to work normal, but when trying to use XM the controls are very sluggish or sometimes non-responsive. Has anyone experienced this and been able to diagnose the problem?
Old 03-10-2011, 08:51 PM
Racer

^^
tried PMing you a reply but you are out of storage with saved messages??
to answer your question no I haven't resloved the problem yet and we pretty much have the same issues!!
Old 03-13-2011, 12:55 PM
2nd Gear

I've contacted USA spec and am waiting a reply. I will let you know what they have to say.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:41 PM
Racer

^^
Sounds good man, let me know what you find out, I've got the same problems as you do so there has got to be something going on here!?
Old 03-31-2011, 12:07 AM
Cruisin'

hmm im looking into buying a USA spec soon for my Type S, i love XM so this may deter me
Old 03-31-2011, 12:25 AM
Cruisin'

If I install this USA spec device am I correct in assuming that I can only have either XM text or ipod text but not both? So If i retain the XM text then wouldnt that defeat the purpose of the device becuause I wont know what im scrolling thru?

not sure if that made sense.

thanks
Old 03-31-2011, 08:48 AM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by jawwadh
hmm im looking into buying a USA spec soon for my Type S, i love XM so this may deter me
i'm in the same boat... i really want to integrate my ipod, but i just signed up for xm and really like it
Old 01-23-2012, 03:23 PM
Intermediate

Trunk Removal

Do you have to remove all of the pieces in the trunk to get to the XM moduler?

What is the bare minimum I can remove to get acess to the XM module?

Thanks,

Jeff

1. Remove trunk liner (see picture at end of post) to expose the right rear of the car as pictured below. Remove the door edge plastic trims. You can remove as many pieces as you need/want. I removed all of them all the way to the front passenger area.

2. Loosen the three bolts (orange stars) that secure the XM module (don't completely unscrew the bolts). Slide the bolts toward the larger holes and remove the XM module from behind the metal sheet.

Take a look at this thread for additional pictures.

3. Connect the PA15-ACU XL wiring harness as detailed in the manual included with the unit. Re-install the XM module.

4. Thread the harness cord through the opening where all the existing wires pass through to the right back seat. Secure the harness cord neatly with plastic ties and trim the excess.

5. Run the hardness cord to the right of the front passenger seat. Pass the cord underneath the seat to the middle (or wherever you want to position your PA15-ACU XL unit). Secure the cord with ties and trim off excess. I also used a Fostner bit to drill a hole where the cord exits the piece of plastic trim to relieve pressure on the cord once the plastic trim is re-installed.

6. In order to store the iPod in the center console armrest, you need to run the iPod cable underneath the armrest to where you position your PA15-ACU XL. Open your armrest console and remove the rubber mat at the bottom. Then remove the plastic cover underneath the rubber mat to expose the underside as pictured in this thread.

7. Remove the two screws at the bottom of the now exposed center console compartment. Once they are removed, you can gently lift the center console and run the iPod cable to the PA15-ACU XL as pictured below. Use industrial strength Velcro (Lowe's store) to secure the PA15-ACU XL unit to the carpet.

7. Use a 1/4" Fostner bit to drill a hole at the corner of the plastic cover and the rubber mat where the iPod cord will pass through and into the armrest console. For the rubber mat, made a cut from the drilled hole to the edge so that the iPod cord can be neatly passed-through (pictured). Can you find a mistake I made?

8. Hook up your iPod and test it. Put all plastic trims back where they came from. Returned trunk liner to its original place.

By the way, I suggest running to Harbor Freight and buy you one of these to make removing the plastic trims, etc. much easier. They are called "Auto Trim and Molding Tool Set."

Old 01-23-2012, 07:45 PM
Intermediate

Where could you put this in the trunk if you don't want to run the wires through the car?

I really don't need access to the ipod and want to leave it in the trunk. Just don't know where/how to do that?
Old 05-21-2012, 10:38 AM
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm sure some of you have already seen this step-by-step install video, but I thought I'd post it for others to see. I'm gonna follow this video when I install the usa spec in my 07 TL.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:09 AM
8th Gear

You are the man. I have been looking all over for something like this
Old 05-22-2012, 09:25 PM
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry guys, I posted the wrong youtube video before (shows only the USA Spec product). This video is the one I meant to post originally. It is a great, detailed walkthrough on an install for the USA-Spec PA15-ACUXL. I really like how they went down the molding alon the doors, and under the glove box to a ProClip mount.

LeMix (02-18-2013)
Old 03-14-2013, 10:16 AM
ReamzTL2

Power question

Does anyone knows how you power up the unit? I hope u don't have to connect it to the battery becuz it will drain the battery. I'm hoping that the harness to this unit brings a cable where u can give the power to juice it up. Need some guide on this
Old 09-28-2014, 07:34 PM
6th Gear

I found this video to be helpful in installing a pa15-hon3 in my 2005 TL. Control through the navigation is great.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:48 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by mcolson1590
I found this video to be helpful in installing a pa15-hon3 in my 2005 TL. Control through the navigation is great.
It helps if I share the link
Old 10-12-2017, 09:23 PM
4th Gear

I have been looking everywhere for a video or pics showing the removal of the 3rd Gen's right side trunk liner to get to the XM module. This thread is the closest I've come, but the vids are dead. Anybody happen to be weird like me and save any of these vids to your hard drive? Or does anybody have a link or another tutorial? I saw the one on Youtube with the RL, but it's not nearly the same thing. I also saw these links (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-a...type-s-698771/ and https://www.handa-accessories.com/ac...cord-xm4dr.pdf ) but neither show the liner being removed. Thanks in advance.