Two questions, stereo and Navi

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 12:30 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Two questions, stereo and Navi

Both of these questions relate to my ex-wife's 05 TL with navigation. Firstly, the back lighting for the stereo is out. I can't determine a fuse for this. The stereo works just fine, just no lighting at night. Nothing else is out on the console. Can anyone direct me to a fuse or connection? Secondly, her navigation system has "gone bad" and is displaying only "PLEASE CHECK DISK." Is there a way to kill power to the screen until she gets around to fixing this or whatever? Would killing power to the screen kill power to AC controls or something else? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
jb
Old 03-30-2015, 01:38 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
Originally Posted by Jovinki
Firstly, the back lighting for the stereo is out. I can't determine a fuse for this. The stereo works just fine, just no lighting at night. Nothing else is out on the console.
Does "back lighting" mean the lighting for the radio preset buttons and audio knobs?
Or are you referring to the audio settings shown on the navigation screen?

Secondly, her navigation system has "gone bad" and is displaying only "PLEASE CHECK DISK." Is there a way to kill power to the screen until she gets around to fixing this or whatever?
Try pulling out the DVD, checking it for damage. If there is damage (commonly a scratched DVD), then the Navi drive is history; IDK how the display can be turned off.

If there is no damage on the DVD, then try cleaning the reader lens-- see the thread at: https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-b...errors-873489/.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:49 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Will,

With regards to the radio, it's the actual radio lighting. It's weird because the rest of the console and the display screen above the air vents are fine. The navi screen is black expect for the green "check your disc." I told her I would look at the disc drive itself the next time I see her. I hadn't been in that car in over a year. She's not taking care of it like I did. The poor thing... Thanks for the response!
Old 03-30-2015, 10:42 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
With regards to the radio, it's the actual radio lighting. It's weird because the rest of the console and the display screen above the air vents are fine.
If you mean the station preset buttons and/or tuning/volume knobs don't light up, that might just be burned LED bulbs (which are a PITA to replace since the Navi screen and audio stack has to be loosened-- there are DIY threads in the 3G TL Service Dept/Garage showing the process).
"Burned bulbs" is probably the answer if the audio system otherwise functions fine.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 238 Likes on 164 Posts
I have the same problem with this too. I've been in the process of replacing all of my bulbs to LEDs, and I wanted to tackle soldering the radio bulbs next. The entire console and display screen work fine, but just the radio controls area (presets, tape deck, CD area, etc.), which is the lower half of the center console, have stopped working all together. It only lit up about half way a few weeks ago and then when I took the radio out to install my iSimple, none of the lights worked when I plugged the radio back in.

Did you ever find if there is a specific fuse connected to just those lights by any chance?

Will,

With regards to the radio, it's the actual radio lighting. It's weird because the rest of the console and the display screen above the air vents are fine. The navi screen is black expect for the green "check your disc." I told her I would look at the disc drive itself the next time I see her. I hadn't been in that car in over a year. She's not taking care of it like I did. The poor thing... Thanks for the response!