TVandNav2Go, Mediagate MG-25P, and PIE X3 Installed

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 04:22 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
TVandNav2Go, Mediagate MG-25P, and PIE X3 Installed

UPDATE: I have since swapped out the PIE X3 for a Peripheral iSimple PXAMG. This adds iPod integration to the current setup and has been working flawlessly. If you have an iPod, I would recommend this module over the PIE X3.

This is a followup thread on two other threads:

My Secret Media Player REVEALED - Mediagate MG-25
in which I revealed the hard drive based media player.

DIY: Backup Camera with Dom's TVandNav2Go PNP Install in which I gave a guide on installing Dom's module with the PNP harness and a popular backup camera found on eBay.

This thread will be a continuation of the DIY install, though there is not much left since most of the car is already disassembled. Therefore, I will mainly post pictures of the mounting locations and some notes.

Parts (other than the modules):
12+ ft video RCA cable from Dom's module in trunk to center console
4+ ft stereo audio RCA cable (aka interconnect)
wire ties
double sided tape/velcro
mini add-a-circuit*
3-terminal audio/video wall plate*
*optional

PIE X3
Installation was straight forward. I swapped the factory plug for the X3 harness plug, connected the factory plug to the other end of the X3 harness, and connected the serial like plug from the harness into the X3 brain.

The red power wire from the X3 harness was then connected to fuse 32 via mini add-a-circuit purchased from Auto Zone. The X3 selector is then connected to its corresponding terminal on the X3 brain.

I tried out a few locations for the X3 brain, but this one seems like it will be the one I'll stick with.

Preview without the lower front dash piece

Exposed after the lower front dash piece was reinstalled

I like the location because its hidden and I can easily pull down that black cover piece to access the X3 brain in the future. The X3 selector is placed here.

Its not bolted down. Reason? Hidden aux input in the back for my iPod or other music players. The other set of audio RCAs runs to the center storage console for the mediagate.

Dom's TVandNav2Go
The module is mounted in the trunk and a video RCA cable was extended from the trunk, under the carpet, to the center storage console. In an attempt to make the install look clean, I fabricated something from the 3-terminal a/v wall plate from Radio Shack.

Cut and trimmed

Painted

Mounted

Audio RCAs from PIE X3 brain and video RCA from Dom's unit in the trunk will connect here.

Vantec AVOX aka Mediagate MG-25P

The Mediagate can be placed there because lembowski was able to track down a working IR extension cable. For the IR cable, I drilled a hole under the power outlet of the bottom storage console and ran the sensor to the lower compartment under the head unit.

Screenshots of the Mediagate in action. My camera doesn't do the actual quality justice.

Mr and Mrs Smith ISO file I created from my original.

Playing audio.

Nifty little feature of resuming from the last file on next power up (available on newest Al Tech firmware).

Thats all folks! I'll be happy to answer any questions.

Last edited by datmrman; 11-24-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:12 AM
How may I help you.....?

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
That looks sick man... what a great install... Is that the only place you could think of to put the selector switch? I dont know where I want to put that switch... since you had it apart, could I put the selector switch inside the compartment where you have the 3 jack RCA plugs? Would it fit?

You have given me alot of ideas and help... Thanks man...
Old 07-04-2006, 08:21 AM
How may I help you.....?

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
So what are these??

sorry man, had too....
Old 07-04-2006, 12:17 PM
Safety Car

Thanks!

I don't see any problems with the X3 selector switch being in the same compartment as those RCAs. It will also fit next to the Mediagate on the top storage compartment. Some members have placed it in there.

I like the location I placed it in because I can quickly select the audio source without having to open anything. I could open the thing up again and move it if I change my mind. Ha haa. It's like second nature now.
Old 07-04-2006, 04:59 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How does the paint job look on your A/V wall plate? I also used the wall plate, but left it white. I kind of wish it were black, but I've already mounted it inside of the rear ashtray like DCC.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:17 PM
Safety Car

I bought a can of glossy black paint from Home Depot. There was a bottle of satin black too.

Its designed for painting plastic. It looks ok. I sanded it a bit, but didn't want to spend a lot of time on it since it is hidden for the most part. Not professional or anything, but at least the plate is not white.

Now I have a can of glossy black paint that I can use to paint my headlights if I find enough courage for it.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:11 PM
Thread Necromancer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I need to get the car power adapter now for mine, what one did you use?
Old 07-05-2006, 09:21 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
He used an iriver h100 adapter I believe. I have the same install, except I had to get a power inverter. These power adapters are sold out everywhere. iriver said september 22nd till they come back in stock. Great write up datmrman!!
Old 07-06-2006, 12:33 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lembowski
He used an iriver h100 adapter I believe. I have the same install, except I had to get a power inverter. These power adapters are sold out everywhere. iriver said september 22nd till they come back in stock. Great write up datmrman!!
Instead of waiting for that adapter, you can do what I did.

I found an old unused AC adapter in the garage with a plug tip that fit the MG-25. Cut off the AC transformer. Go to a store like Circuit City and buy the 12V car adapter for the XM radio (RoadyXT) model. Belkin XM Car Power Adapter (F5X005) The specs on this adapter is 5V/2amp output which is exactly what you need. Cut of the XM's plug because it won't fit. Splice in the wire that you got from the old AC plug making sure you get the polarity correct. Negative outside the plug's hole and positive in the hole. Solder and tape or heatshrink it and now you're in business.
It will work. The XM adapter only costs $19.99 and it's working fine in my system.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:55 AM
Safety Car

I use an iRiver ICJ-100 power adapter.

Nice work Crook. I also saw that Belkin XM Car Power Adapter at Fry's. The specs on it is correct, but I didn't know if it was the right size plug. Glad you went out, tried it, and reported to us. Thanks!

Lembowski's power inverter is pretty compact as well. He says he's just using it temporarily until he locates an iRiver power adapter, but he could technically just keep using it. Hey dude, mind giving the other members the specs on that power inverter you found. Maybe a picture too?

I did a quick search on Google and found the following specs from LaptopsforLess.com

They don't have them in stock, but if you can find a similar product that meets the spec, you are set! I'll keep my eyes open.

On a different note, I went searching at three Radio Shacks for right-angle RCA plugs today. With these right-angle plugs, the RCA cables will not interfere with me utilizing the remaining empty space of the lower storage bin.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:14 AM
Advanced

looks good! I've been waiting to see what you'd do with your avox jukebox. where did you find an extension for the IR?
Old 07-06-2006, 01:20 AM
Safety Car

With a Google search for "mediagate car," I found these (Australian) sites:

http://www.coolpc.com.au/catalog/pro...roducts_id=855

http://www.citysoftware.com.au/Brows...temDetail.aspx
Old 07-06-2006, 01:24 AM
Advanced

woops! i just took a look back at the old thread, and saw where the IR extension came from.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:28 AM
Safety Car

Thanks YarrrTL. Lembowski was able to find a local stereo shop that was willing to part out the IR extension cable from their retail car dvd players. We got lucky there.

FADE found something that might work from Best Buy's Parts store. He's waiting for it to arrive to test it out. Here is his post:

Originally Posted by FADE
I have not recieved it yet to see if it has the 2 bands but this is the link.

I am now regretting not keeping this thread with the original Mediagate thread.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:46 PM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by datmrman
Lembowski's power inverter is pretty compact as well. He says he's just using it temporarily until he locates an iRiver power adapter, but he could technically just keep using it. Hey dude, mind giving the other members the specs on that power inverter you found. Maybe a picture too?
Here is the link to RadioShack, it was just the cheapest one they had. I opted to get the one that had the pivoting head for more flexibility in the compartment.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search
Old 07-07-2006, 09:49 AM
Trucki!!

Well here is what I got from AL Tech about the car adapter and IR. This is after 8 emails asking where to get these from:

Dear Matthew,

Sorry, I found that we, AL Tech, only shipped the unit (MG-25 & MG-35) only, not accessories (IR & Cigar Jack) to all our distributors,
that means if you want, you only have to purchase them from us since any distributors didn't place the order for IR & Cigar Jack.

I'm worried that the shipping cost will be more than adapter itself, as you pointed out.

Anyway, I'll let you know the price.

(FOB KOREA)
IR : USD 7.00
Adapter : USD 24

Sorry for the a lot of trouble.

Best Regards,
Yuna
Old 07-07-2006, 01:12 PM
Safety Car

The prices are reasonable. Any ideas on the shipping costs and their inventory?
Old 07-07-2006, 01:49 PM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by datmrman
The prices are reasonable. Any ideas on the shipping costs and their inventory?
Not a clue, I emailed her back for it. I looked at those australian stores and they had 2 shipping options to the US. Both shipping totals were under $10, but it was either 20 day delivery, or 65 day.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:32 PM
Thread Necromancer

Ok I got mine in, put some mp3 on it..Played fine. Put my DVD ripped to iso.... No go. What do I have to do to get it to play the iso?
Old 07-07-2006, 08:09 PM
Safety Car

What did you use to create the ISO? You can check if the ISO is valid by a free program called Daemon Tools. You can mount the ISO file as a fake DVD-ROM and test it out without wasting any media.

If it works, I just go into video mode, click on the iso, and hit enter.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:14 PM
Thread Necromancer

Yeah I use daemon tools to watch them so I know they are good. I updated to the other co. firm wear and it sees the iso now and plays them. Guess the stock firm ware didnt play them. Now i need a remote eye (one i ordered is still on backorder) and a car power adapter.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:34 PM
Safety Car

Thanks, thats good to know.

Where are you planning on mounting the Mediagate?
Old 07-07-2006, 11:14 PM
Thread Necromancer

I was thinking under the passenger seat. I need to get the eye and the power before I do my install. I am going to put the eye and the pie controller in the top pocket. I have the blitz safe universal ipod adapter and a belkin cup holder mount for my Ipod. And of course I have the dom unit. Wanted to get all my parts and knock it all out at the same time. I still do not have a back up camera but that is all in the trunk and would be easy to do later.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:39 PM
Safety Car

So are you using the Blitzsafe HON/M-Link? If so, you might have an issue there. The M-Link will just give you an iPod connection to the headunit; you'll be missing audio connections for the Mediagate. The Blitzsafe HON/AUX DMX is 1 aux input. If you plan on using that for your iPod, you're still left with no audio for the Mediagate. More details here.

I did the same as you. Collect everything, open it up all at once and perform a massive install.

Removing the trunk lining, I think, is one of the easier parts. The longest part of the backup camera install is preparing and mounting the camera.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:03 AM
Thread Necromancer

This is the one I have
Old 07-08-2006, 02:30 AM
Safety Car

From logjam:
The Universal iPOD Interface is NOT a stand-alone unit and must be connected to either an Auxiliary Input Converter's RCA inputs or to the auxiliary input of an after market headunit.
The Blitzsafe UII Universal iPod interface needs another audio interface to interact with the TL's head unit. I've seen this used with the PIE X3. See here for an example: post 70.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:15 AM
Thread Necromancer

Um, I all ready told you I have a pie x3 all ready
Old 07-09-2006, 03:06 AM
Safety Car

Sorry! Been reading too much lately that I must have lost track.

Keep us updated if you get that remote eye or find a power adapter. Good luck! I'm still keeping my eyes open for them.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:20 PM
Thread Necromancer

Hey I know how that is . I have been having alot of fun with my new toy, cant wait to get all my parts so I can install all this stuff. I got a 100 gig hard drive for mine, put a bunch of movies and mp3 on it so far, have not tried the pictures yet.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:41 AM
Safety Car

So I went browsing around Fry's Electronics today and I decided to check a few things out.

This is the Belkin Auto Power Adapter for XM.

It outputs 5V/2A which meets the requirements for the Mediagate. I'm just not sure on the size of the plug there, but it might just work. If not, you can always do what Crook did and snip the plug off and join the correct sized plug there.

I was also looking at cell phone chargers; mainly Nokia brand ones. They have plugs that might fit in the Mediagate, but there were no power ratings on the boxes. If someone can find a cell phone that uses 5V/2A to charge its battery, there might be an alternative there.

Just thought I throw this out there for people looking for a car adapter for the Mediagate.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:59 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The outside diameter of the plug appears to be the correct size but you'll still have to switch the tip out on this adapter because the inside diameter of the hole is too small. Maybe someone could try to drill out the hole to enlarge it and see if that will work. That's an idea.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:15 AM
DCC
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
hey guys...I had no interest in adding a mediagate type device however I have been reading that you guys are having trouble finding a power source suitable for it. Now I didn't go reading the entire thread however Fry's and Radio shack does sell "Universal Power adapters" which is basically a home AC plug that comes with 5-6 different size tips to accomodate different devices. Theoretically, you could take the adapter that fits the mediagate, then splice it into the wiring of a car adapter or to be safe, just run a power inverter and plug the universal power adapter into there. Those power adapters also have a voltage selection switch on the body which would ensure running the appropriate voltage to your device. I just wanted to throw that out there and see if anybody had considered this as a viable option. Here's what it looks like...

BETTER YET..LOOK WHAT I FOUND!
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

Hope that helps you guys...let me know what you think of it...
Old 07-12-2006, 03:34 AM
Safety Car

Thanks DCC for the suggestion, but unfortunately, most will come with 1.5V, 3V, 4.5V, 6V, 9V, etc..

The Mediagate needs 5V/2A. I've been looking for a universal one that has a 5V switch, but no luck.

IMO, easy method is to find a small compact power inverter, and use the home adapter that came with Mediagate. Lembowski's current method.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:56 PM
TL Loverrrrrrr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I almost bought a universal car adapter from Fry's this morning and it is same that only have 1.5V, 3V, 4.5V, 6V and 9V (no 5V). Fry's has one for $5 and I almost bought one to just try it to see if 4.5V or 6V will work. But decide not, I didn't want somehow damage mediagate.

Anyways, I just bought this on ebay $13 shipped which is a generic car adapter for iRiver H100:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=004

3.5 millimeter plug, is that the right size? Cross finger that it would work... the ebay seller is from Garden Grove, hopefully I get it soon..
Old 07-12-2006, 10:07 PM
Safety Car

If its a generic of the iRiver one, it should fit.

Hopefully its not the same one lembowski bought from eBay. The one he bought powered up the Mediagate, but did not allow it to play any media. It just caused the device to freeze.

Took us a little bit of time to troubleshoot the problem down to the bad power adapter.

I didn't mean to scare you, but keep a heads up when you are testing it.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:04 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by jmbnova
So what are these??

sorry man, had too....
I'd like to know what this is as well. Is that an interface to your iPod integration?
Old 10-12-2006, 12:22 AM
Safety Car

I think jmbnova was asking about the song titles I've blurred out.

If you want to know about the mediagate, check out this thread: My Secret Media Player REVEALED - Mediagate MG-25P
Old 10-12-2006, 02:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
sorry for being off topic, but is DCC still around here selling those switches?
Old 10-12-2006, 04:13 PM
Safety Car

Send him a PM.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:19 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am interested in installing the MediaGate...after reading all the threads, do i need the DOM to NAV or can I come straight from the PIE X3 to the input on the Mediagate? Also do you need to take the whole headunit and dash out to link in the PIE X3 or can you get to it an easier way. Sorry if these are dumb questions....i'm a newbie.

Quick Reply: TVandNav2Go, Mediagate MG-25P, and PIE X3 Installed