Turn of the Nav disclaimer??

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 10:59 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turn of the Nav disclaimer??

Ok, ok, ok! I swear to god I understand that mucking with the nav while driving is a Bad Thing. I love everything about my 2004 except for having to click "OK" to get passed the disclaimer every time I start up. What's worse is that because I want to get past it quickly, I keep glancing down every few seconds until the "OK" appears. which is dumb because that's when you're usually pulling out of parking lots when you should be paying attention.

Is there some way to permanently accept the disclaimer? I don't mind singing a form in front of a Honda witness at the dealer if that's what it takes.

Thanks!
Old 02-29-2004, 11:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Re: Turn of the Nav disclaimer??

Originally posted by mrcookies
Ok, ok, ok! I swear to god I understand that mucking with the nav while driving is a Bad Thing. I love everything about my 2004 except for having to click "OK" to get passed the disclaimer every time I start up. What's worse is that because I want to get past it quickly, I keep glancing down every few seconds until the "OK" appears. which is dumb because that's when you're usually pulling out of parking lots when you should be paying attention.

Is there some way to permanently accept the disclaimer? I don't mind singing a form in front of a Honda witness at the dealer if that's what it takes.

Thanks!

can't. do a search, couple of threads about it
Old 03-01-2004, 01:24 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: Turn of the Nav disclaimer??

Some IT guys here ever try to work on the programs, wish they could provide some solutions soon.
Old 03-01-2004, 03:20 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Re: Turn of the Nav disclaimer??

Originally posted by rets
Some IT guys here ever try to work on the programs, wish they could provide some solutions soon.
I'm sure it can be done, but are you sure that you want the liability?

What would happen if you loaned the car to a friend (I couldn't even conceive of doing that!), and they got in a serious accident because they were mucking around with your "newly enhanced" version without the pop-up screen? You could get sued, and would surely lose for your intentional modification.

I really don't think that it would speed up the boot process anyways, aside from the "OK" button press. I think the Navi system is always booting from scratch once you turn on the car, so it takes quite a few seconds for it to pass its Power-On Self Test and load the software from the DVD.

A minor annoyance that we all should have to live with.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:39 AM
3rd Gear

Angry Sure I'll accept the liability

The point of the disclaimer is lost exactly because you must click OK every frickin' time you start the car. Release of liability has been demonstrated in tort action where users failed to completely read "terms of use" when installing software when it has been found that it places ".. an unusual repetitive effect" when the very sameness of the task implies that it's either meaningless or simply an implied re-confirmation of a previous acknowledgment.

But what's more important, is that I should have the right to assume any liability for my own property. There is no feature to confirm that I won't muck with the audio system, which also displays data on the nav panel, or disclaimers to tell me not to program the HandsFree Link(tm) , reach in the glove box, control my kids, eat a sandwich, put on makeup, drink coffee, you name it. Why is the navigation so different?

And to the specific example of loaning the car to a friend, the liability you assume for the nav is the least of your worries. If your "friend" is planning to sue you, the tires, engine, brakes, mirrors, other traffic, airbags, and themselves are much greater potential sources of an accident. That's why you are a fool to lend your car to anyone who does not have insurance. state law in almost every part of this country stipulates that in the event of an accident it is the driver and their insurance company that are primarily responsible.

Besides, if it's that big a deal, then I should be able to turn it on and off myself for just such a situation, (or make it a setting on the key ID), or I'll brief them before cutting them loose. "Don't play with the nav while you drive, you idiot I somehow trust with my brand new beloved new 2004 TL"!
Old 03-01-2004, 01:07 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Turn of the Nav disclaimer??

Originally posted by ¿GotJazz?
I'm sure it can be done, but are you sure that you want the liability?

What would happen if you loaned the car to a friend (I couldn't even conceive of doing that!), and they got in a serious accident because they were mucking around with your "newly enhanced" version without the pop-up screen? You could get sued, and would surely lose for your intentional modification.

I really don't think that it would speed up the boot process anyways, aside from the "OK" button press. I think the Navi system is always booting from scratch once you turn on the car, so it takes quite a few seconds for it to pass its Power-On Self Test and load the software from the DVD.

A minor annoyance that we all should have to live with.

Don't think I'm interested in removing that disclaimer. I don't want to remove the warning chime of Seat Belt, either.

It's just for ppl's informaiton.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:39 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Three stupid lawyer bullsh*ts I would remove fronm the car.
1-Nav BS Screen
2-Seatbelt reminder that will not shut up
3-stupid airbag warnings on the visors.
PLease feel free to list any other lawyer founded stupid things in our cars you can come up with!!!!
Old 03-19-2005, 09:47 PM
gt1
` . ' . SUV haterrr

I assume it has been no changes in the situation during the past year.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:54 PM
Gratis dictum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by vtechbrain
Three stupid lawyer bullsh*ts I would remove fronm the car.
1-Nav BS Screen
2-Seatbelt reminder that will not shut up
3-stupid airbag warnings on the visors.
PLease feel free to list any other lawyer founded stupid things in our cars you can come up with!!!!
#2 6600 miles of driving my TL and I have never heard the seatbelt reminder. I do , however agree on #1 and #3
Old 03-23-2005, 10:10 PM
Racer

There is a way that you can install a module to automatically hit ok for us. there is a guy out there that has a site that sells these.

I am looking for it now and will post it. I think it was like $`150

ryan
Old 03-23-2005, 11:13 PM
Cruisin'

Well, just be glad you didn't end up with the G35, because when I was test driving the '04 model, I noticed that their Navi doesn't allow you to enter in data while you're moving. I think you have to shift into park or something to do that. The salesman confirmed that the navi was crippled in that way; I guess their lawyers won in that scenario. That was actually a factor in my choosing to get the TL ultimately, though I've got plenty of reasons now why that was the best decision. Anyway, be glad for what few limitations we have.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:02 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Repecat
#2 6600 miles of driving my TL and I have never heard the seatbelt reminder. I do , however agree on #1 and #3
I always start my engine before putting on the seatbelt and the chime (i think for seatbelt reminder) annoys me... other than that, I always buckle up... I feel weird driving without it...
Old 03-24-2005, 08:01 AM
Now with i-Vtec

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Contivity
I always start my engine before putting on the seatbelt and the chime (i think for seatbelt reminder) annoys me... other than that, I always buckle up... I feel weird driving without it...

Old 03-24-2005, 08:07 AM
Make MyTL Great Again

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kermee
Well, just be glad you didn't end up with the G35, because when I was test driving the '04 model, I noticed that their Navi doesn't allow you to enter in data while you're moving.
My brother's 05 Cadallic STS is like that too and it sucks. He also has a bluetooth phone connection and there is a phone screen that you can bring up on the Navi screen. The problem is that when you are moving, you can't press the buttons on the screen to dial.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:50 AM
Intermediate

navi/ok

Ideally the nav system would ask you and you could respond with the voice recognition. Ideally, also, if you choose to not buckle up, voice recognition should just ask if you want to disarm reminder.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:55 PM
Team Anth. Audio Engineer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by trialsman
Ideally the nav system would ask you and you could respond with the voice recognition.
I like that idea. Another would be if you could just hit a button on the steering wheel to acknowledge the warning.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:00 PM
Advanced

I have yet to actually read the disclaimer in its entirety...

Maybe when you purchase the car they can have a blanket disclaimer that you sign on delivery. If you decline to sign then you should be stuck having to hit "ok" everytime you start up the car.

It could be worse...my friend has the Lexus GX and it also has the disclaimer screen...but it also doesn't allow you to program anything in the navi when the car is moving...now that sucks. Nothings more annoying than me sitting shotgun trying to program an address in between city lights.
Old 03-26-2005, 04:26 PM
10th Gear

Re: Turn Off The Nav Disclaimer

Besides the legal liability, is it there so long so the NAV system can boot up?
Old 03-28-2005, 08:48 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by AcuraTenderLove
Besides the legal liability, is it there so long so the NAV system can boot up?
Probably....but I would much rather the thing come up with the audio display first since it becomes active much faster than NAV. Then if I want to use NAV on a particular trip, the first jump to the nav screen would make me have to OK the disclaimer. I don't use the NAV every single time I get in the car, so seeing this screen pop up in my face every time and having to wait for it, is a tiny bit of an annoyance.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by marquis
Probably....but I would much rather the thing come up with the audio display first since it becomes active much faster than NAV.

The Lexus nav is much quicker, the disclaimer shows up instantly and you can "click" I agree right away, I believe is continues to boot up in the background. I wish my TL was like this