Trying to sound dead my trunk!! help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 08:58 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying to sound dead my trunk!! help!!

i got second skin damplifier pro and i am trying to put it on my trunk because it is severely rattling because of my subs! it has turned out to be a lot harder than i thought it would! can someone help me!

i have an 04 acura tl base model
Old 02-02-2013, 09:41 PM
10th Gear

i have the same problem... !!!
Old 02-02-2013, 11:19 PM
4th Gear

any idea on what to do?? like it is mainly the area right by the plate but i cant really seem to get back by there to mat it
Old 02-03-2013, 09:59 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
first off damplifier pro is only part of you need
the foil on it is WAY too thick, it supports itself well over large holes, but putting it in tight spaces at times with fingers being the only tool is pure torture
the trunk space will require a lot of those applications where no roller will fit
get some hushmat for that, it sticks better than damplifier, doesn't need a roll, desn't smell and conforms easily to any surface

second, you have to go from both sides interior and trunk
follow the manual for rear seat and rear deck removal, and remove all the trim from inside the trunk

you main areas of application will be the rear deck (inside and outside, top and bottom, as much material as you can stick to it to cover it at least once) and the trunk lid

knock on surfaces with your fist periodically to catch the rattles and fix them

you will need at least 2 trunk kits of hushmat and one kit of damplifier pro
this will make you rear deck suitable even for an aftermarket drop in sub
use damplifier on straight runs where you can easily roll it, and also where you need to cover larger holes

some people stick patches of dampening material to the underside of the rear deck plastic cover, i personally found no gain in that, just make sure to finish the interior side first and assemble it, that will allow you to secure the middle hook of the deck cover from inside the trunk area and stop it from bouncing up and down against the rear glass

good luck!
The following users liked this post:
relentlesninja (02-11-2013)
Old 02-03-2013, 10:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts
I am not sure why this is hard or what the OP is asking. Remove the liner by removing via the clips, deaden, and put it all back. End of story. What issues are you having???
The following users liked this post:
pohljm (02-03-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 09:48 PM
Racer

LOL, Jerry! Damplifier pro is his problem
it's as easy to use as a sheet of plywood on curves that the rear deck is made of

not sure where the OP's from, but i've recently spent some time in my trunk (literally) and there're very few areas around the deck where damplifier pro makes for an easy installation

it was probably between 50-60 degrees in my garage at the time

i know you've used cascade's stuff, unfortunately i have zero experience with it, but i swear by hushmat

PS
forgot to mention, the top break light cover can rattle against the glass, put a slice of double tape between the rubber skirt and the glass, if it does

Last edited by abirvalg; 02-04-2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:04 AM
4th Gear

my problem is there is 2 layers the outer layer and inner layer.. the trunk is a shell format, and i have 2 jl 10s back there making it all rattle and i hate it sooo much.... what type of sound am i listening for? i know it is going to be hard to describe... like ive put some on it already but where are the major areas i need to focus. i know for sure the trunk lid is.. that is my main concern, but where on the trunk lid.. and how much does hush mat normally run
Old 02-11-2013, 10:35 AM
Racer

the short answer is EVERYWHERE and a second layer if you feel it wasn't enough

the hushmat box has an image on it, that is how all of the metal around the trunk and rear deck should look when you're done

your subs are your best friends in searching what rattles
cover the entire underside of the lid and run some low test tones to hear what still rattles
you can find hushmat on ebay for much less than the manufacturer's web site

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300833448749...84.m1497.l2649

it's not cheap, just like any other premium deadener
you'll need at least a couple of those boxes to get enough square footage for the deck, the lid and the sides

don't worry much about the trunk floor, there are no moving parts there and if you still have your spare it makes it heavy enough

and have a look at this too
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/rear-deck-bass-rattle-fix-%5Bpics-video%5D-614680/

this is how you stop your deck cover from bouncing