Trip Computer Enabled Without Compromises

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 08:33 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip Computer enabled without compromises

It looks like I succeeded in enabling Trip Computer in my 2004 TL WITHOUT at least two well-known compromises - missing sub/center audio controls and missing Send (HFL) button in the POI screens. My TL now shows Trip Computer in the Info menu, the Trip Computer works just fine and I can dial POI numbers and can control the sub and center levels with touchscreen! I cannot guarantee that absolutely all other features work as before however - only time will show...

Here what I did. Note, the instructions are for 04 TL, I believe 05 and 06 TLs has different BIN filenames, but that should be similar...

1. BN2HH12C.BIN - this is original TL ROM file. The Trip Computer disabled in this ROM
2. BN2HH120.BIN - this is Honda Accord's ROM file. It has Trip Computer enabled but misses HFL things and sub/center controls in audio.
3. Use dumpnavi.exe to expand the entire content of both files (of course, you should expand these files in separate folders).
4. The HMIManager.exe file is responsible for enabling/disabling the features. All other files (including Trip Computer application itself) are already in both ROMs.
5. I used CEBin.exe to replace the HMIManager.exe file in the TL ROM (BN2HH12C.BIN) with HMIManager.exe taken from the Accord's ROM. The dumpnavi.exe will not work here because HMIManager.exe from Accord ROM is larger than HMIManager.exe from TL.
6. Burn all BN2***.BIN files (I have 6 of them) onto CD-R (use BN2HH12C.BIN you just patched).
7. Put this CD-R in the NAVI DVD drive, boot from disc (follow instructions from this thread)
8. When system rebooted - replace CD-R with original DVD.

That is it! You have Trip Computer and all original TL's features now.

I will keep an eye on my NAVI in the next days and will let you know if anything goes wrong, but so far it is working for me.

Edit by datmrman:
-----------------------
This is such a great find that it deserves its own thread! The original thread is here for reference: Trip Computer in NAVI!!

Summarized instructions for 04-05 TL : Post #67 by Kracker

Summarized instructions for 06 TL : Post #87 by pimpin-tl
Old 08-07-2006, 02:18 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Thanks for sharing the info with us!

Question.

Where can you find CEBin.exe? I haven't seen that executable before.

A search came up with this:
Originally Posted by met152
It is available here http://home.earthlink.net/~akonshin/files/cebin.zip
This utility will allow you extract the .bin including modules and records, and then also allow you to replace files. I'm pretty sure it is similar to dumpnavi.
Is that the same program you are referring to?

Please keep us updated!
Old 08-07-2006, 08:44 AM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good job! Definitely let us know if you see anything missing. Maybe this could be my first navi hack .
Old 08-07-2006, 09:32 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by avlcat
5. I used CEBin.exe to replace the HMIManager.exe file in the TL ROM (BN2HH12C.BIN) with HMIManager.exe taken from the Accord's ROM. The dumpnavi.exe will not work here because HMIManager.exe from Accord ROM is larger than HMIManager.exe from TL.
Step 5 is a little on the vague side if you ask me. I cant for the life of me operate this stuff at command line level. I keep getting syntax problems.

Can anyone lend a brother a hand??? Im lost here.....
Old 08-07-2006, 09:49 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
AVLCAT,,,

My question is: when will you begin shipping "you're" "modded" disk...?

I'm pretty handy with a computer but may take an easier route on this mod if available...

Cheers
Old 08-07-2006, 09:52 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
TWO THUMBS UP FOR YOU, avlcat.

Do you also now get the instantaneous MPG guage? If it works, that alone makes it worth it for me.

One problem I had when the Accord system loaded itself in there was the dash clock wouldn't adjust for daylight savings in April and October.

Keep us posted ................

Old 08-07-2006, 10:08 AM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by DMZ
you also now get the instantaneous MPG guage? If it works, that alone makes it worth it for me..

Thats one thing I don't like. I wish the gauge would just tell me what my mpg was at that moment, not over the whole trip/tank.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:42 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally Posted by lembowski

I wish the gauge would just tell me what my mpg was at that moment, not over the whole trip/tank.
That would be the commonsensical way of doing it, especially with what's been happenning to gas prices. This way, you can adjust your driving habits for maximum mileage.

If they can put it in the Accord ..........
Old 08-07-2006, 10:47 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Can't wait for .........

AND

Old 08-07-2006, 12:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hoTLanta
Step 5 is a little on the vague side if you ask me. I cant for the life of me operate this stuff at command line level. I keep getting syntax problems.

Can anyone lend a brother a hand??? Im lost here.....
yeah same here....im' a lil lost...
Old 08-07-2006, 12:12 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by datmrman
Thanks for sharing the info with us!

Question.

Where can you find CEBin.exe? I haven't seen that executable before.

A search came up with this:

Is that the same program you are referring to?

Please keep us updated!
Yes, this is the program. The difference between this and dumpnavi.exe is that dumpnavi refuses to update the file if new file is larger than old one. CEBin.exe can do that.

Yes, the Trip Computer displays instantaneous MPG guage. It is actually exactly the same screen as in Accord (I have both 2003 Accord with NAVI and 04 TL with NAVI so I can compare).

As of daylight time update on the dash clock - we will have to wait until October

One thing I noticed yesterday is that ithe Diag screen (MAP/GUIDE+MENU+CANCEL) still has Trip Computer calibration part disabled. Probably we also need to update Diag.exe file in the BN2HH12C.BIN. I'll try that when I have spare time.

To hoTLanta: here are the details for step 5:
- create a blank folder on your computer (for example, c:\navi)
- copy the BN2HH12C.BIN file (original) in this folder
- copy HMIManager.exe from the BN2HH120.BIN (Accord's one) in this folder
- copy CEBin.exe to this folder
- create new text file in this folder, name it Replace.cebin (or you may just copy the Scan.cebun file which comes with CEBin into the folder and rename it to Replace.cebin)
- open Replace.cebin in the Notepad and replace its content with the following four lines:
image BN2HH12C.BIN
verbose on
replaceFile HMIManager.exe HMIManager.exe
saveToFile BN2HH12C.BIN.NEW
- open Command Prompt (cmd.exe) window
- type cd c:\navi
- press Enter - that will navigate your command prompt to the c:\navi folder
- type cebin.exe replace.cebin
- press Enter - the CEBin will update your file and save a new file in the BN2HH12C.BIN.NEW. You then will need to rename this file back to BN2HH12C.BIN when recording it to CD-R.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:46 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
I understand what yo're trying to do...
My only question, for us 2005/2006 folks.

My 2006 TL boot file is bnhh401a. Would I still use the BN2HH12C to exchange files? or is there a later file I should use?
Old 08-07-2006, 03:06 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kennedy
I understand what yo're trying to do...
My only question, for us 2005/2006 folks.

My 2006 TL boot file is bnhh401a. Would I still use the BN2HH12C to exchange files? or is there a later file I should use?
No, you should modify your file (BNHH401A.BIN) and burn this file on CD. However I guess that new DVD changes also filename for Accord, so you will need to identify it and get HMIManager.exe from here. If you do not know the Accord's filename - then try to expand Back.bmp from all BIN files you have and then find the one with Honda logo - probably it would be Accord's one.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:19 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by avlcat
No, you should modify your file (BNHH401A.BIN) and burn this file on CD. However I guess that new DVD changes also filename for Accord, so you will need to identify it and get HMIManager.exe from here. If you do not know the Accord's filename - then try to expand Back.bmp from all BIN files you have and then find the one with Honda logo - probably it would be Accord's one.
Oops, that was a typo. bn2hh120 exists on my CD (and it has the Honda back.bmp). I was asking if there was "updated" Accord boot file.

bn2h380.bin also has a Honda logo (Civic perhaps?)
Great work BTW.

Your other mission is to get the AC contols to work too.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:28 PM
Safety Car

This might be some help:
Originally Posted by Zeuser
So... what we know so far about the .BIN files:

BNHH401A.BIN = 2005 Acura TL
BN2HH12C.BIN = 2004 Acura TL
BN2HN120.BIN = 2003-2004 Honda Accord (US Model)
BN2HN18B.BIN = 2004 Acura TSX
BNHH401A.BIN = 2006 Acura TL

Someone want to confirm this still holds true?
Old 08-07-2006, 03:37 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

This might be some help:

BNHH401A.BIN = 2006 Acura TL

Someone want to confirm this still holds true?
That what it is for my 2006 TL.

I just updated via the cebin program (from bn2hh120.bin) :
himemanager.exe
diag.exe
AirCon.exe (just to see if it would work)

to bnhh401a.bin

I'll report back in a few minutes.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:40 PM
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
I can't wait to do this when i get back. I hope this thread is still active and open when I get back home next week!
Old 08-07-2006, 04:59 PM
Instructor

You rock!

I attempted this a few months ago, when I saw that both bins had the trip computer executable but couldn't figure it out. How did you come across it, or was it by trial an error?
Old 08-07-2006, 05:02 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Update...

WOW... Everything appears to be working! I cannot believe it's this easy!

Via the method described by avlecat (using CEBin), I just updated via the cebin program (from bn2hh120.bin) :
himemanager.exe
diag.exe
AirCon.exe

to bnhh401a.bin (2006 TL boot file).

I now have the following features:
- Trip computer that appears to be functional (Matches the MID).
- When in DIAG mode, when you view system information, EVERYTHING (to include air conditioning), shows up green, and linked to Navi
- (I hope this is new... I've never seen this before). There's this neat calibration screen in diag called "trip information". I can only imagine this is the creen that's tied to the trip information program that allows you to calibrate the system for more accurate readings. I have no idea what to do with this screen though.
It has a button for "data save on/off" an another for "simulation". Again, I don;t have a tech manual, wish I knew what I was doing.
- Is this new? When I change A/C HVAC settings, it's displayed at the top of the NAV screen as well as on th mini display up top?

The only "issues" I think I had... In Diag mode, I looked at F-Can scan, and it showed OK, but "error codes present". This could be trouble codes that I have never cleared from doing electrical work in the car (removing Navi and stuff).

Also (again in Diag), when the system would do the "system scan", and show all systems green, The scan never seemed to complete. The big green OK never came up. It just keeps reading "Displaying". This could be normal for all I know.

Needless to say, the CEBit program offers lots of new options. You could change all the Navi sounds to whatever sound you wanted now (beep.pcm)...

The limitation of dumpnavi was the files had to be the exact size for the "update" command to work. CEBin doesn't have that requirement, so all bets are off.

I've got more playing to do... but this seesm to have unlocked two new features with NO side effects detected. Awesome stuff.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:10 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
I just did this on my 2006 TL, Canadian version. What this did was it removed the French option of the Nag and all that's left is the OK button. I modified the same file as Kennedy did (bnhh401a.bin) but I only uploaded the hmimanager.exe. Now I have the Trip Computer too. Very cool! Also, the gas station by my house now shows up with a Shell icon!
Old 08-07-2006, 05:13 PM
|AM.UA6|

WOW... Everything appears to be working! I cannot believe it's this easy!

Via the method described by avlecat (using CEBin), I just updated via the cebin program (from bn2hh120.bin) :
himemanager.exe
diag.exe
AirCon.exe

to bnhh401a.bin (2006 TL boot file).

I now have the following features:
- Trip computer that appears to be functional (Matches the MID).
- When in DIAG mode, when you view system information, EVERYTHING (to include air conditioning), shows up green, and linked to Navi
- (I hope this is new... I've never seen this before). There's this neat calibration screen in diag called "trip information". I can only imagine this is the creen that's tied to the trip information program that allows you to calibrate the system for more accurate readings. I have no idea what to do with this screen though.
It has a button for "data save on/off" an another for "simulation". Again, I don;t have a tech manual, wish I knew what I was doing.
- Is this new? When I change A/C HVAC settings, it's displayed at the top of the NAV screen as well as on th mini display up top?

The only "issues" I think I had... In Diag mode, I looked at F-Can scan, and it showed OK, but "error codes present". This could be trouble codes that I have never cleared from doing electrical work in the car (removing Navi and stuff).

Also (again in Diag), when the system would do the "system scan", and show all systems green, The scan never seemed to complete. The big green OK never came up. It just keeps reading "Displaying". This could be normal for all I know.

Needless to say, the CEBit program offers lots of new options. You could change all the Navi sounds to whatever sound you wanted now (beep.pcm)...

The limitation of dumpnavi was the files had to be the exact size for the "update" command to work. CEBin doesn't have that requirement, so all bets are off.

I've got more playing to do... but this seesm to have unlocked two new features with NO side effects detected. Awesome stuff.
So in order to perform this mod, a NAVI DVD from the Accord is needed? Do we have to go buy this DVD in order to do this? or someone is going to upload the files?
Old 08-07-2006, 05:15 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by acb45
So in order to perform this mod, a NAVI DVD from the Accord is needed? Do we have to go buy this DVD in order to do this? or someone is going to upload the files?
The Accord Program file is already part of the same DVD. Alpine puts all the programs in the same disc and the system in the car will load the appropriate file.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:17 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Grasshopper...
Everything you need is in your hands. Please read the "Hack your Navi thread" in the stickies. Once you've accomplished that, come back and re-read this and it'll all make sense.

Originally Posted by acb45
Old 08-07-2006, 05:19 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Gunner,
go into Diag mode and look at system information. What shows up green?

Also, whne you change A/C setting, does it show up on the top bar of the Nav screen (like radio stations)?

Your shell icon is probably due to the config, you can turn icons for certain things on/off.

Anyone know how the system knows to "Reset with Refuel"? It'll only take me a day two to figure out if that works.

Originally Posted by GunnerX
I just did this on my 2006 TL, Canadian version. What this did was it removed the French option of the Nag and all that's left is the OK button. I modified the same file as Kennedy did (bnhh401a.bin) but I only uploaded the hmimanager.exe. Now I have the Trip Computer too. Very cool! Also, the gas station by my house now shows up with a Shell icon!
Old 08-07-2006, 05:34 PM
Racer

Gunner,
go into Diag mode and look at system information. What shows up green?

Also, whne you change A/C setting, does it show up on the top bar of the Nav screen (like radio stations)?

Your shell icon is probably due to the config, you can turn icons for certain things on/off.

Anyone know how the system knows to "Reset with Refuel"? It'll only take me a day two to figure out if that works.
Kennedy,

In System Information, everything is green except for XM since XM is not included in the Canadian version. However, when I change the A/C settings, it does not show up on the Navi screen. I guess that's the AirCon.exe that allows that.

Before I did this mod, the icon only showed a gas station. I always see it because it's on the map when I'm parked in the garage. That's how close it is. But now, it's an actual Shell icon. Quite cool.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:49 PM
Trucki!!

Hey Kennedy, let us know how accurate the instant gas MPG is. This would be the only reason i would do this............
Old 08-07-2006, 06:40 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Can this be done on a MAC?

Old 08-07-2006, 07:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

for some reason, i can't use dumpnavi to expand the two files. Also, since I have a 2005 TL, i have to use
BNHH401A.BIN instead of BN2HH12C right?
Old 08-07-2006, 07:16 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by cullal
Can this be done on a MAC?
If you are running on a new mac with the intel chip, you can look into virtualization like this one.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:45 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

40 mile feedback report.

I have a few anomolies, it's not exact:

1) The trip computer "Range" and the MID "Range" aren't explicitly matching. They seem to hover within about 10 miles higher or lower than each other. I have no idea why, other than the possibly the Navi is using the Accord metrics to calculate the range???

2) Lembowski: Instant MPG is just that, INSTANT. It's pretty useless, other than for effects. When coasting it shows 50+ mpg, when high RPM accelerating it shows <10 mpg.
It bounces all over the place as you drive. not sure how to measure it's accuracy, but considernig the cost of this mod, you shoudl tinker with it to see if you like it.

In Diag mode:
When I look at the Navi System Link, it look just like this, except the HFL box on the bottom doesn't show up. (although all HFL functions appear to be operating). No idea why that happened (probably replacing the Diag.exe?):

This is where it gets interesting. Since I enabled the new Diag, Trip Information is NOT grayed out as seen here:

This screen shows a myriad of technical data which appears to be the calculation of avg mpg, avg mph and such. Interestingly, it shows Range of X and Displayed Range of X - 18 miles(It seems there's a small buffer there for us).

So.... To quote Austin Powers. "What does it all mean Basil?"

Does anyone think this data would be more accurate if we used the MDX files instead of the Accord?

Originally Posted by lembowski
Hey Kennedy, let us know how accurate the instant gas MPG is. This would be the only reason i would do this............
Old 08-07-2006, 07:49 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

You shoudl use the file that's defined as your bootloader file. This described in the sticky. Odds are, yes, it's the 401A file.

Originally Posted by Laxplaya11385
for some reason, i can't use dumpnavi to expand the two files. Also, since I have a 2005 TL, i have to use
BNHH401A.BIN instead of BN2HH12C right?
Old 08-07-2006, 08:04 PM
You like?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
can someone put this in layman terms...

I am not following this because I have no idea how it starts off...
Old 08-07-2006, 09:03 PM
05 TL

Okay, this is a question. Not a statement of fact.

For a 05 & 06 TL I have assumed that I update my replace.cebin with the lines:
"
image BNHH401A.BIN
verbose on
saveToFile BNHH401A.BIN.NEW
"

Do I have to do anything with the other files? For example:
"
image BNHH401A.BIN
verbose on
replaceFile AirCon.exe AirCon.exe
replaceFile Diag.exe Diag.exe
saveToFile BNHH401A.BIN.NEW
"

Worst case. I'll have to burn it again.

Great Thread!
Old 08-07-2006, 09:17 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by theone
can someone put this in layman terms...

I am not following this because I have no idea how it starts off...
Start by reading this thread: Hack Your Navi Summarized! (Change pics and remove nag screen)
Old 08-07-2006, 09:44 PM
05 TL

And FYI - You need to burn all the bin files to the hacked CD that you burn. That isn't super clear in the Summary. Then again... I'm not one of those big readers.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:48 PM
Cruisin'

I tried replacing HMIManager, AirCon and Diag (not sure why the latter needs to be replaced).

I haven't taken the Acura for a spin yet, but I did play around with the air conditioning and I backed out the change. My current BNHH401A only has HMIManager and Diag replaced.

The reason I backed out the AC is that whenever the AC went out of automatic mode (e.g. press the fan button or recirculate button) the display on the Navi screen said Climate Control Off and would no longer display any useful information.However, it looked nice in automatic mode!

Keep up the work, though. The trip computer is a nice add.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:51 PM
05 TL

40 mile feedback report.

In Diag mode:

This screen shows a myriad of technical data which appears to be the calculation of avg mpg, avg mph and such.
I saw a place that shows fuel consumption. idle is was like .6 mL and when I hit the gas it went up to 3.6 mL...

Kinda cool.

On a side note, I wasn't super impressed with the AC thing. Maybe I dont have it all, but it just showed the same thing that the HU showed. Just when I changed something, it said Climate Control Off.

I will play more later.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

oh i forgot to update hahah. about 5 min. after i asked those questions, i got it to work.

Haven't had a chance to test it out though. It did load correctly though.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:09 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Kracker
And FYI - You need to burn all the bin files to the hacked CD that you burn. That isn't super clear in the Summary. Then again... I'm not one of those big readers.
11. Use the dumpnavi tool to update the splash screen to the BIN file.
dumpnavi BNHH401A.BIN update Back.bmp
12. If dumpnavi doesn't complain, then you are set! Burn the 9 BIN files to a blank CD, CDRW, or DVD.
I guess you're really not a big reader.

Shoot me a PM if there's anything you want to add to the summary.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:42 AM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
subsribed

Quick Reply: Trip Computer Enabled Without Compromises