Trip Computer Enabled Without Compromises

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 05:30 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
80 mile feedback report...

Not much change from the last report.
- As others have noted, the air conditioner display says "climate control off" when you change the settings to anything other than auto. I'll be rolling back this feature.

My MID Range and Trip Computer Range still seem to be within 5-14 mpg of each other. Not sure how to make them jive.

Perhaps I'll try some of the files from the TSX.

Anyone else have any suggestions?
Old 08-08-2006, 06:41 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

OK,
Just reloaded stock software, then tried the same three files again from BNHN404A.bin (2005 TSX). Exact same results.

-All radio functions and HFL work fine.

- Air conditioner displays ONLY when in Auto mode, otherwise it reports "Climate Control Off".

- No HFL listed on System Information

- Trip Information is accessible, but and data displayed appears to be the same.

- Trip Computer is enabled, but MID Range and Trip Computer range differ by about 11 miles.

We're getting close though...

Those that only updated the HIMEManager.exe fiel, are your MID/Trip Computer Ranges in sync?
Old 08-08-2006, 07:33 AM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Kennedy
Those that only updated the HIMEManager.exe fiel, are your MID/Trip Computer Ranges in sync?
Nope, they're off by about the same amount on mine. The instantaneous gas MPG is rather weird. I was cruising on the highway at 110km/h 2000rpm and at one point I got 0 MPG!

The Trip Computer is most definitely geared towards the Accord.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:20 PM
05 TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is still a really cool trick. I'm really surprised that there isn't alot more interest.

For my vote, this is as cool as changing the boot picture... Major props to the original poster.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:25 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Problem is... It's inaccurate.
I got rid of it.

The programming of the tripcomputer is written for the Accord metrics, so it's always off.

Originally Posted by Kracker
This is still a really cool trick. I'm really surprised that there isn't alot more interest.

For my vote, this is as cool as changing the boot picture... Major props to the original poster.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:47 PM
Intermediate

Problem is... It's inaccurate.
I got rid of it.

The programming of the tripcomputer is written for the Accord metrics, so it's always off.
Kennedy, did you try to use IPI_TripComputer.dll from TSX in the TL file? Unfotrunately I am too busy on the job this week to try it myself, sorry. Guessing of the file name it is IPI_TripComputer.dll which is actually Trip Computer program; the HMIManager.exe is only menu which enables the Trip Computer, nothing more.

Another place to look at would be the diagnostic screen. If you replace diag.exe it enables Trip Computer selection in the diagnostic screen. Probably there are some settings here which can be tuned to make the range calculations more accurate?

One more little convenient thing with TC enabled is that now we can see outside temperature and trip information at the same time. Yes, so far trip info is a little bit off, but I always missed outside temperature and odometer readings - without the trick you can see either trip computer or outside temp/odometer on the MID, but not both.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:37 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by avlcat
Kennedy, did you try to use IPI_TripComputer.dll from TSX in the TL file? Unfotrunately I am too busy on the job this week to try it myself, sorry. Guessing of the file name it is IPI_TripComputer.dll which is actually Trip Computer program; the HMIManager.exe is only menu which enables the Trip Computer, nothing more.

Another place to look at would be the diagnostic screen. If you replace diag.exe it enables Trip Computer selection in the diagnostic screen. Probably there are some settings here which can be tuned to make the range calculations more accurate?

One more little convenient thing with TC enabled is that now we can see outside temperature and trip information at the same time. Yes, so far trip info is a little bit off, but I always missed outside temperature and odometer readings - without the trick you can see either trip computer or outside temp/odometer on the MID, but not both.
What shows in the MID? Are you saying you see odometer, temperature, and instant MPG?

Where in the Bay Area are you? Maybe I can trade you some beer for some help with this.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:24 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bluenoise
What shows in the MID? Are you saying you see odometer, temperature, and instant MPG?

Where in the Bay Area are you? Maybe I can trade you some beer for some help with this.
MID is Multi Information Display - the small display in the right bottom part of the dash itself; the one which displays odometer, built-in trip computer, maintenance minder etc. I just meant that without the Trip Computer in NAVI you may either switch your MID in the mode when it displays odometer and outside temperature OR you switch it to the Trip Computer mode when it displays average MPG and some more info. You cannot see your MPG and outside temperature at the same time - you need to swicth MID between two modes.

With NAVI trick you may display Trip Computer on the NAVI screen and switch your MID in the odometer/outside temperature mode - so basically you can see both aththe same time.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:30 PM
05 TL

I would be willing to bet that its unrelated, but my outside temp has been 86 deg since I did this.

Its almost 100 outside today... If anyone else has noticed this let me know...
Old 08-11-2006, 02:54 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

avlcat,
I did NOT copy over the TSX tripcomputer.exe file. Based on the premise that HIMEManger.exe ENABLES the Tripcomputer.exe to be functional, I assumed I would want to use the Tripcomputer.exe that was programmed for the TL, so i only replaced Himemanager.exe and Diag.exe.

Yes, I replaced the Diag.exe from the TSX. When you look at the Diag screen (in Trip Information as described above), you can see the avg. mpg, avg mph, etc. calculations as thier happening, but there's no way to adjust them. It also appears that you can insert a PCMCIA card and record a log of this data over a period of time... but alas, there's no way to change the metrics.
I can't see what using the TSX Tripcomputer.exe file would do for us, but I'll be glad to try it out.

I sure would like to see this work.

Old 08-11-2006, 04:26 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

MID is Multi Information Display - the small display in the right bottom part of the dash itself; the one which displays odometer, built-in trip computer, maintenance minder etc. I just meant that without the Trip Computer in NAVI you may either switch your MID in the mode when it displays odometer and outside temperature OR you switch it to the Trip Computer mode when it displays average MPG and some more info. You cannot see your MPG and outside temperature at the same time - you need to swicth MID between two modes.

With NAVI trick you may display Trip Computer on the NAVI screen and switch your MID in the odometer/outside temperature mode - so basically you can see both aththe same time.
Ah. I know what the MID is. I just misunderstood your other post. I thought you were saying the MID now displays all that info at once.

I saw by another post you've used a body shop in Walnut Creek. Are you near there? That's near me.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:18 AM
Cruisin'

there is a way to tune the range to match the one on the MID. just press and hold "MENU" when you're in the trip computer diagnostics.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:18 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by Soul_zero
there is a way to tune the range to match the one on the MID. just press and hold "MENU" when you're in the trip computer diagnostics.
Sweet, I'll give it a try tonight. Have any documentation on how how this works?
Old 08-14-2006, 11:51 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by Soul_zero
Soul_Zero...

I just tried it. I don't think that's what that function does.

The "MID displayed range" is different than that of the "actual range". The programming holds 32km back (aka known as idiot proofing)... So, if the range says 1 mile left, you really have almost 20.

When accessing this tuning screen, it shows "actual range", and "displayed range", and "displayed variance". The value is set to -32km. By setting the value to -25km, the MID range matches the trip computer range, AT THE CURRENT MOMENT, and the relationship appears to be linear.

As I described earlier, when driving around and watching the "MID range" vs. the "trip computer range" , they would get within anywhere between 2-15 miles of each other depending on how you drive. This tells me the calculations being made by the MID aren't the same calculation being made by the trip computer. If they were, then the 2 functions would be consistently "xx" miles different.

Again, I think the trip computer is using fuel consumption metrics based on a different engine, thus the changing variance.

I'll report back the results of changing the range variance to 25km though.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:06 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Elegant hack...

Thanks for the elegant hack to enable the trip computer.

I pulled together all the various instructions into one document and then proceeded to make the changes. It worked flawlessly.

The trip computer is there and so are the diagnostics for the trip computer function.

There is a fairly marked difference between the MID DTE and the trip computer DTE but doing a reset at the next refueling could help eliminate some of that.
I suspect that since there's a history functionality present that there may also be some basic learning functionality too. Guess we'll see.

Nice job, AVLCAT!
Old 08-14-2006, 10:38 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Originally Posted by kosh2258
I pulled together all the various instructions into one document...
Could you please post that somewhere?
Old 08-16-2006, 12:24 PM
Pro

I will

I'm working on cleaning it up - I just cut and pasted the instructions from this thread and the master hack thread to get the instructions condensed in one spot.

When I get it finished, and polished up, I'll post it back here.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:48 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
kosh2258 let us know if there is a learning aspect for the diagonistics screen after refuel/reset.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:51 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by lembowski
kosh2258 let us know if there is a learning aspect for the diagonistics screen after refuel/reset.
I've been running it for over 2 week now, 3 refuels... It doesn't appear to be adjusting. I still thinkthe metrics are just wrong (based ont eh Accord), and it ain't never gonna be right until we can figure out how to adjust the fuel consumption rate and such.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:21 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've been running it for over 2 week now, 3 refuels... It doesn't appear to be adjusting. I still thinkthe metrics are just wrong (based ont eh Accord), and it ain't never gonna be right until we can figure out how to adjust the fuel consumption rate and such.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:59 PM
Intermediate

My update after two weeks. Yes, the Range numbers are different in the NAVI's Trip Computer and MID's Trip Computer. I also noticed that the difference depends on the amount of fuel in the tank. When tank is full the NAVI displays ~30-40 miles more than MID, however while you are burning the fuel the difference will decrease and when tank is almost empty the range will match.

The other numbers (average MPG and Trip) always match (except of the decimal part of the average MPG which MID simply does not display).

Anyway, the whole point of the trip computer in NAVI is just fun. As for me - I never judge the remained range my trip computer (neither MID nor NAVI). I always refill when the fuel gauge (the arrow) shows about 1/8.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:10 PM
Mr. Flibble is very cross

Today, I finished my first full tank of gas with the mod (I only changed the HMIManager.exe). MID trip odometer showed 276.8 and NAVI trip odometer showed 276.5. NAVI TC showed average MPG of 20.1 and odometer difference divided by gallons to fill-up came out to 20.3 so for this fill-up at least, the NAVI was within ~1% of the actual value. Of course, there will still be some variance from the fuel nozzle cutting off at slightly different fill amounts, but averaging over a few more tankfuls should wipe out most of that.

I've seen similar issues as everyone else with the MID vs NAVI ranges. Like avlcat, I don't really use the range function much, so the difference doesn't really bother me. If the other numbers always match better than the range function, then that would seem to indicate that the metrics are just fine for the engine. I wonder if the reason the ranges are inconsistently different is because of different MPG calculations. In other words, what MPG does the computer apply to your remaining fuel to calculate range? Is it your total average since the last fillup, your average over the last 5 minutes, last 10 seconds, etc? If there is even a slight difference in which MPG calculation is used, then you would see exactly what we are seeing (although that doesn't prove that my guess is right).

Another issue I've seen is voice recognition doesn't seem to operate correctly when the NAVI is on the Trip Computer screen. Voice recognition on the car is so flakey that I don't use it much anyway, but it's still annoying that it won't seem to work at all on that screen (it keeps telling me what time it is or it says "trip computer" ). Also, I didn't check completely, but I think this mod loses the TL-specific voice commands (like DVD).

So not quite perfect, but still very good extra information and the few issues I've seen so far are things I can live with pretty easily, so I'll probably keep it this way. Hats off to all the work that's made it possible!
Old 08-16-2006, 09:19 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

So, do you get the TL voice commands back when you're off the Trip Computer screen (viewing Navi, for example)?
Old 08-16-2006, 09:45 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
So, do you get the TL voice commands back when you're off the Trip Computer screen (viewing Navi, for example)?
Someone made the suggestion back in the thread about one of you guys burning the required CD for the hack so the rest of us don't have to reinvent the wheel.

I'll bet people would be willing to PayPal you 20 bucks or so + shipping for it, so if anyone has the time and wants to burn some discs for beer money, you'll probably have takers. Of course, you'd need to have the bin files for each model year, but someone can probably email you the ones you don't have ...
Old 08-16-2006, 09:49 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
could someone write a full writeup? ie all the direction into one post

im confused...
Old 08-16-2006, 10:00 PM
05 TL

in order to make the cd/dvd, you need to copy the bin files. I would assume that these are copy righted, and thus talk of this is prohibited by the forum...

I'll see about writing up a doc tonight.

Cause I'm such a nice guy.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:20 PM
05 TL

This was written from the command line point of view... You will need some understanding of how it works, but ask if its not clear... People are here to help... Heck you can even try to PM me... Once all the kinks are worked out I will format it better and have it posted again

Get the Nav dvd out of your car.

Open Windows Command Prompt ( Start > Run > "cmd" (Enter) )

** Assuming your DVD Rom is D:\ **
Note: I dont know if the files are in the root folder of the DVD... I used my backup folder to create this... Moral of the story copy the 9 bin files from the DVD to c:\NAV

Create a folder on your computer… Called NAV (C:\NAV\)

C:\>mkdir NAV

C:\>cd NAV

C:\NAV>mkdir backup

C:\NAV>copy D:\*.BIN .\
D:\BN2HH110.BIN
D:\BN2HH120.BIN
D:\BN2HH12C.BIN
D:\BN2HHMLD.BIN
D:\BN2HN12B.BIN
D:\BN2HN18B.BIN
D:\BN2HN380.BIN
D:\BNHH401A.BIN
D:\BNHN404A.BIN
9 file(s) copied.

C:\NAV>copy *.BIN .\backup
BN2HH110.BIN
BN2HH120.BIN
BN2HH12C.BIN
BN2HHMLD.BIN
BN2HN12B.BIN
BN2HN18B.BIN
BN2HN380.BIN
BNHH401A.BIN
BNHN404A.BIN
9 file(s) copied.

C:\NAV>
Download: http://home.earthlink.net/~akonshin/files/cebin.zip
- Extract all the files to c:\NAV
Download: http://philipedge.com/Acura%5FTL/navi-console.zip
- Extract all the files to c:\NAV

Expand the Bin file for your car

BNHH401A.BIN = 2006 Acura TL
BNHH401A.BIN = 2005 Acura TL
BN2HH12C.BIN = 2004 Acura TL
BN2HN18B.BIN = 2004 Acura TSX
* BN2HH120.BIN = 2003-2004 Honda Accord (US Model)

C:\NAV\dumpnavi.exe BNH401A.BIN extract
Extract the Accord files that you are going to use on your car.

C:\NAV\dumpnavi.exe BN2HH110.BIN extract

Copy the files from c:\NAV\BN2HH120 to C:\NAV\

C:\NAV>copy .\BN2HH120\HMIManager.exe .\
1 file(s) copied.

C:\NAV>copy .\BN2HH120\Diag.exe .\
1 file(s) copied.
Open the file replace.cebin with notepad or wordpad. Replace the contents with:

image BNHH401A.BIN
verbose on
replaceFile HMIManager.exe HMIManager.exe
replaceFile Diag.exe Diag.exe
saveToFile BNHH401A.BIN.NEW

Then save it… (This is for my 05 TL… change it if you use a different BIN file)

C:\NAV>cebin.exe replace.cebin

Saving image to file "BNHH401A.BIN.NEW"
WARNING: The size of some records are changed. Addresses in image must be recalculated and it can be unsafe.
Done.
Next delete the old (original bin), and rename your new one.

C:\NAV>del BNHH401A.BIN

C:\NAV>rename BNHH401A.BIN.NEW BNHH401A.BIN
Now burn **ALL** the BIN files back to a cd or DVD.

UPDATING THE TL NAVIGATION WITH MODIFIED DISK (From datmrman post)
1. Insert the original navigation DVD back into the DVD-ROM in your car.

2. Start the car normally (or put the key in and turn it so NAV turns on), and at the main navigation screen hold Map/Guide, Menu, and Cancel for 5 seconds once again.

3. Hit the "Version" button on the touch screen once again.

4. Take the original navigation DVD out of the car, and replace it with the CD/DVD you just created.

5. Hit the "Load Disc" button on the Version screen. As suggested by ttliang, if you get a warning screen saying the disk is no good, just hit "guide+menu+cancel" again to bring you to the "version" -> "disc load" then it'll load.

6. It should take about 20 seconds for your car to load the new BIN and reboot. Once that happens, take out your burned CD/DVD and put back the original navigation DVD.

7. If anything goes wrong, remove the ground to the battery for 30 seconds with the original DVD in the car. The old OS will load back on the system.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:50 AM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Someone made the suggestion back in the thread about one of you guys burning the required CD for the hack so the rest of us don't have to reinvent the wheel.

I'll bet people would be willing to PayPal you 20 bucks or so + shipping for it, so if anyone has the time and wants to burn some discs for beer money, you'll probably have takers. Of course, you'd need to have the bin files for each model year, but someone can probably email you the ones you don't have ...
OR ... I don't mind burning my own CD, if someone could post the files to burn on an ftp server or website or something. I just don't do DOS, and hex editors make me sweat and have intestinal contractions.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
OR ... I don't mind burning my own CD, if someone could post the files to burn on an ftp server or website or something. I just don't do DOS, and hex editors make me sweat and have intestinal contractions.
you only need the Bin files that are on the original DVD. a simple copy and paste is all you need to do to get the original files
Old 08-17-2006, 03:30 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by rbf351
you only need the Bin files that are on the original DVD. a simple copy and paste is all you need to do to get the original files
It's not getting the orignal files off the DVD that bothers me, it's cracking the bins and editing them. I've read about cebin and HMIManager and dumpnavi until my ears are bleeding.

It just strikes me that if someone has already done the legwork, it should be easy to post the modified files somewhere and save everyone else the trouble - and possible wasted effort and mistakes - of trying it themselves.

As I said before, though, I'd be willing to pay for the effort ... someone on here could whip out a few copies of CD's and make a few bills if they wanted to.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:47 PM
05 TL

Its copyrighted material. You cant post it...

Honestly try to do what I wrote.

If you try it and then fail, people will help you... Let me know where you have questions. I take for granted that I work with computers and know how they work... But if I I can help you work thru your problems it will help other people in your situation.

Hey Mike, You PM box is full:

Hey, try my procedure... If it fails, I can walk you thru it on over the phone.

Mike
Old 08-17-2006, 07:08 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by Kracker
Its copyrighted material. You cant post it...

Honestly try to do what I wrote.

If you try it and then fail, people will help you... Let me know where you have questions. I take for granted that I work with computers and know how they work... But if I I can help you work thru your problems it will help other people in your situation.

Hey Mike, You PM box is full:

Hey, try my procedure... If it fails, I can walk you thru it on over the phone.

Mike
Thanks, Mike. I'll give it a try when I get some time.

BTW, I've just cleaned up the ol' PM maibox. Sorry!
Old 08-17-2006, 09:45 PM
05 TL

I dont know what the deal was, but I couldn't get an 06 TL to take my CD. It changed the boot image, but when I went to put the original DVD back in, it didn't like it.

Could have been user error, or perhaps it knew that I was trying to stick in bins that were old..

Well Mike_TX, I have faith that you can update the Bin files, but good luck making the car like it... It was super easy on my 05... So I know the process is good... Ill let you know if I learn any thing.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:27 AM
Pro

As promised...

Here's my compilation of how to do this. Credit to Avlcat and Datmrman for providing the bulk of the content.

I used Word and the indent formatting goes away when posted here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hack to enable Trip Computer Function in a 2004 TL.

These were the steps I took to enable the trip computer function on my 2004 TL.
All the files listed here apply to the 2004 TL NAVI. For other years substitute the files that apply for your year of TL.

These instructions assume the user has a good working knowledge of Windows features and functions, common notations and knows how to get around in Windows. If you don’t understand my instructions don’t even try this.

You follow these instructions and do this at your own risk. I don’t make any guarantees or claims regarding the outcome of following these instructions, especially if the TL is other than a 2004.
If you’re trying this on your parents TL, don’t even begin without letting them in on what you’re up to. Like I said, this is at your own risk. You muck it up, you deal with it.

Required software:
• CEBin.exe (To repack new BN2*.BIN file).
• Dumpnavi.exe (To unpack the BN2*.BIN donor file).
• Burning software: Roxio, Nero etc. (To burn new loader disc).
• Unzip utility to extract the CEBin and Dumpnavi software.
• Editing software such as Notepad or Wordpad.

Obtain the CEBin and Dumpnavi software from the links posted on this board. Search the board for the postings with the links.
Instructions on how the use the software is included with the download. It’s up to you to read and understand how to use these utilities.

Required discs:
• NAVI DVD
• Blank CD-R or DVD-R

Hardware:
• CD-RW or DVD-RW drive

To start out, build a folder structure to store the various components of this project:

1. Create a root folder and name it (ex. NAVIHACK).
2. Create a subfolder to hold all the BN2*.BIN files from the DVD and name it something like NAVIBURN – this will be the contents you’ll burn to disc.
3. Create a subfolder to hold a copy of the TL NAVI file – BN2HH12C.BIN, call it TLNAVI. (You don’t use this except to store a backup copy.)
4. Create a subfolder to hold a copy of the Accord NAVI file – BN2HH120.BIN, call it AccordNAVI.
5. Create a subfolder and call it Software.
a. Inside Software create subfolder CEBin and extract the CEBin.zip file to this folder
b. Inside Software create subfolder Dumpnavi and extract the navi-console.zip file to this folder
6. Create a subfolder under the root folder called NAVIWORK. This is where you’ll put the pieces you need to build up the revised BN2HH12C.BIN file.

Next, get your NAVI disc from the vehicle if you haven’t already done so:
• Key in ignition, position II or III. Open up the NAVI drive door and press eject.
• Don’t forget to turn off the ignition, dead batteries suck.

Put the DVD into your PC DVD drive and copy all the BN2*.BIN files to the NAVIBURN folder created earlier.

Now copy (don’t cut and paste) as follows:

• Copy the BN2HH12C.BIN file to folders NAVIWORK and TLNAVI. The copy going to TLNAVI is a just in case copy, we won’t use it.
• Copy the Dumpnavi.exe file from the Dumpnavi folder to the AccordNAVI folder.
• Copy the BN2HH120.BIN file to folder AccordNAVI
• Copy the CEBin.exe from the CEBin folder to NAVIWORK
• Copy the Scan.cebin file from the CEBin folder to NAVIWORK and rename it to Replace.cebin.

Now everything is staged to proceed with the work.

The first thing to do is unpack the contents of the Accord NAVI file BN2HH120.BIN

1. Open the command prompt window.
• Go to Start and select Run. Type cmd in the Open box, press OK.
• A black window should open with DOS prompt.
2. Change drive and directory to the AccordNAVI folder created earlier.
• Ex. Cd \navihack\AccordNAVI\
3. Type (without quotes): ‘dumpnavi BN2HH120.BIN extract’ then press enter
4. Locate and copy the following two files from the BN2HH120 folder that was created underneath AccordNAVI by dumpnavi to the NAVIWORK folder: HMIManager.exe Diag.exe

Next thing is to go to NAVIWORK and edit the CEBin run script.

1. Go to the NAVIWORK folder and open the Replace.cebin file with Notepad or Word Pad etc., clear the existing contents, then add the following lines to the file and then save the file:
# Extracting files and modules
image BN2HH12C.BIN
verbose on
saveToFile BN2HH12C.BIN.NEW

Now it’s time to build the new .BIN file.

2. Verify that cebin.exe and replace.cebin are present.
3. Go back to the cmd window and switch to the NAVIWORK directory.
4. Type in the following command: Cebin.exe replace.cebin and press enter.

If everything went correctly you should see a new file present call BN2HH12C.BIN.NEW in the NAVIWORK folder.

1. Rename the current BN2HH12C.BIN file to BN2HH12C.BIN.OLD and the BN2HH12C.BIN.NEW file to BN2HH12C.BIN.
2. Copy and paste the new BN2HH12C.BIN file to the NAVIBURN folder and respond Yes to replacing the file.
3. Open your burning software and burn all the BN2*.BIN files to a new CD-R or DVD-R disc from the NAVIBURN folder.

Now comes the moment of truth, loading the revision to the NAVI system.

1. Put the key in the ignition and switch to position II or III – DO NOT switch off the ignition until all the following steps have completed!
2. Install the newly burned CD-R or DVD-R into the NAVI drive.
3. Go the NAVI and get into Diagnostics mode by pressing and holding together the MAP/GUIDE + MENU + CANCEL buttons until the Diagnostics menu appears.
4. Select Version from the menu.
5. Press and hold the DISK LOAD button until the load process begins. It will be a bar graph indicating load is in progress and not to turn off the ignition.
6. At completion the system should reboot and you see the Acura splash screen.
7. You’ll get an error indicating an incorrect disc is loaded and to see the dealer, this is OK.
8. Go back to the NAVI drive and re-insert your original NAVI DVD and the system will restart.

Once the system has restarted and you’ve OK’d past the “don’t be stupid and blindly follow the NAVI directions” nag screen, access the Info display and you should see the Trip Computer button displayed at the top. If you do, the next thing to check is that the Diag functions for the trip computer are present.

Again, press and hold the MAP/GUIDE + MENU + CANCEL buttons until the Diagnostics menu appears. Press the Functional Setup button and on the next display you should see a Trip Information button. Press the Trip Information button and you’ll see the various metrics for the Trip Computer. Pressing the menu scroll up/down buttons will enable the Return button in the upper right. Exit the diagnostics menus by pressing the Return buttons until you’re back at the NAVI map screen.

If both of the above were present, congratulations, the hack was successful!

If for some reason you need to back this out or it wasn’t successful:
1. Get out your radio and NAVI unlock codes.
2. Record all your presets for XM I and II (the radio presets survive this).
3. Remove the negative terminal from your battery for 30 seconds and reattach it.
4. Switch on the ignition to position II or III and the NAVI will reload from the original disc after you key in the NAVI unlock code then it will re-orient itself. Be sure the car is in a line of site position to recapture the GPS satellite lock and XM birds.
5. Turn on the radio and when prompted key in the radio unlock code.

All I’ve done here is organize the various posted instructions into a single step by step how to instruction sheet. The following members provided the bulk of the information organized here and get the credit for doing so: Avlcat and Datmrman. Thanks to both.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:25 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by kosh2258
Here's my compilation of how to do this. Credit to Avlcat and Datmrman for providing the bulk of the content.

I used Word and the indent formatting goes away when posted here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hack to enable Trip Computer Function in a 2004 TL.

These were the steps I took to enable the trip computer function on my 2004 TL.
All the files listed here apply to the 2004 TL NAVI. For other years substitute the files that apply for your year of TL.

These instructions assume the user has a good working knowledge of Windows features and functions, common notations and knows how to get around in Windows. If you don’t understand my instructions don’t even try this.

You follow these instructions and do this at your own risk. I don’t make any guarantees or claims regarding the outcome of following these instructions, especially if the TL is other than a 2004.
If you’re trying this on your parents TL, don’t even begin without letting them in on what you’re up to. Like I said, this is at your own risk. You muck it up, you deal with it.

Required software:
• CEBin.exe (To repack new BN2*.BIN file).
• Dumpnavi.exe (To unpack the BN2*.BIN donor file).
• Burning software: Roxio, Nero etc. (To burn new loader disc).
• Unzip utility to extract the CEBin and Dumpnavi software.
• Editing software such as Notepad or Wordpad.

Obtain the CEBin and Dumpnavi software from the links posted on this board. Search the board for the postings with the links.
Instructions on how the use the software is included with the download. It’s up to you to read and understand how to use these utilities.

Required discs:
• NAVI DVD
• Blank CD-R or DVD-R

Hardware:
• CD-RW or DVD-RW drive

To start out, build a folder structure to store the various components of this project:

1. Create a root folder and name it (ex. NAVIHACK).
2. Create a subfolder to hold all the BN2*.BIN files from the DVD and name it something like NAVIBURN – this will be the contents you’ll burn to disc.
3. Create a subfolder to hold a copy of the TL NAVI file – BN2HH12C.BIN, call it TLNAVI. (You don’t use this except to store a backup copy.)
4. Create a subfolder to hold a copy of the Accord NAVI file – BN2HH120.BIN, call it AccordNAVI.
5. Create a subfolder and call it Software.
a. Inside Software create subfolder CEBin and extract the CEBin.zip file to this folder
b. Inside Software create subfolder Dumpnavi and extract the navi-console.zip file to this folder
6. Create a subfolder under the root folder called NAVIWORK. This is where you’ll put the pieces you need to build up the revised BN2HH12C.BIN file.

Next, get your NAVI disc from the vehicle if you haven’t already done so:
• Key in ignition, position II or III. Open up the NAVI drive door and press eject.
• Don’t forget to turn off the ignition, dead batteries suck.

Put the DVD into your PC DVD drive and copy all the BN2*.BIN files to the NAVIBURN folder created earlier.

Now copy (don’t cut and paste) as follows:

• Copy the BN2HH12C.BIN file to folders NAVIWORK and TLNAVI. The copy going to TLNAVI is a just in case copy, we won’t use it.
• Copy the Dumpnavi.exe file from the Dumpnavi folder to the AccordNAVI folder.
• Copy the BN2HH120.BIN file to folder AccordNAVI
• Copy the CEBin.exe from the CEBin folder to NAVIWORK
• Copy the Scan.cebin file from the CEBin folder to NAVIWORK and rename it to Replace.cebin.

Now everything is staged to proceed with the work.

The first thing to do is unpack the contents of the Accord NAVI file BN2HH120.BIN

1. Open the command prompt window.
• Go to Start and select Run. Type cmd in the Open box, press OK.
• A black window should open with DOS prompt.
2. Change drive and directory to the AccordNAVI folder created earlier.
• Ex. Cd \navihack\AccordNAVI\
3. Type (without quotes): ‘dumpnavi BN2HH120.BIN extract’ then press enter
4. Locate and copy the following two files from the BN2HH120 folder that was created underneath AccordNAVI by dumpnavi to the NAVIWORK folder: HMIManager.exe Diag.exe

Next thing is to go to NAVIWORK and edit the CEBin run script.

1. Go to the NAVIWORK folder and open the Replace.cebin file with Notepad or Word Pad etc., clear the existing contents, then add the following lines to the file and then save the file:
# Extracting files and modules
image BN2HH12C.BIN
verbose on
saveToFile BN2HH12C.BIN.NEW

Now it’s time to build the new .BIN file.

2. Verify that cebin.exe and replace.cebin are present.
3. Go back to the cmd window and switch to the NAVIWORK directory.
4. Type in the following command: Cebin.exe replace.cebin and press enter.

If everything went correctly you should see a new file present call BN2HH12C.BIN.NEW in the NAVIWORK folder.

1. Rename the current BN2HH12C.BIN file to BN2HH12C.BIN.OLD and the BN2HH12C.BIN.NEW file to BN2HH12C.BIN.
2. Copy and paste the new BN2HH12C.BIN file to the NAVIBURN folder and respond Yes to replacing the file.
3. Open your burning software and burn all the BN2*.BIN files to a new CD-R or DVD-R disc from the NAVIBURN folder.

Now comes the moment of truth, loading the revision to the NAVI system.

1. Put the key in the ignition and switch to position II or III – DO NOT switch off the ignition until all the following steps have completed!
2. Install the newly burned CD-R or DVD-R into the NAVI drive.
3. Go the NAVI and get into Diagnostics mode by pressing and holding together the MAP/GUIDE + MENU + CANCEL buttons until the Diagnostics menu appears.
4. Select Version from the menu.
5. Press and hold the DISK LOAD button until the load process begins. It will be a bar graph indicating load is in progress and not to turn off the ignition.
6. At completion the system should reboot and you see the Acura splash screen.
7. You’ll get an error indicating an incorrect disc is loaded and to see the dealer, this is OK.
8. Go back to the NAVI drive and re-insert your original NAVI DVD and the system will restart.

Once the system has restarted and you’ve OK’d past the “don’t be stupid and blindly follow the NAVI directions” nag screen, access the Info display and you should see the Trip Computer button displayed at the top. If you do, the next thing to check is that the Diag functions for the trip computer are present.

Again, press and hold the MAP/GUIDE + MENU + CANCEL buttons until the Diagnostics menu appears. Press the Functional Setup button and on the next display you should see a Trip Information button. Press the Trip Information button and you’ll see the various metrics for the Trip Computer. Pressing the menu scroll up/down buttons will enable the Return button in the upper right. Exit the diagnostics menus by pressing the Return buttons until you’re back at the NAVI map screen.

If both of the above were present, congratulations, the hack was successful!

If for some reason you need to back this out or it wasn’t successful:
1. Get out your radio and NAVI unlock codes.
2. Record all your presets for XM I and II (the radio presets survive this).
3. Remove the negative terminal from your battery for 30 seconds and reattach it.
4. Switch on the ignition to position II or III and the NAVI will reload from the original disc after you key in the NAVI unlock code then it will re-orient itself. Be sure the car is in a line of site position to recapture the GPS satellite lock and XM birds.
5. Turn on the radio and when prompted key in the radio unlock code.

All I’ve done here is organize the various posted instructions into a single step by step how to instruction sheet. The following members provided the bulk of the information organized here and get the credit for doing so: Avlcat and Datmrman. Thanks to both.
just wanted to say thankyou for the thread I did it and it works perfectly. The instanteous milage is useful as feedback as to how heavy your foot is. I use it on my lexus and on my corvette when I want to get better milage. Thanks to all who added the instructions. David
Old 08-19-2006, 04:58 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by dashotgun
just wanted to say thankyou for the thread I did it and it works perfectly. The instanteous milage is useful as feedback as to how heavy your foot is. I use it on my lexus and on my corvette when I want to get better milage. Thanks to all who added the instructions. David
Dave,
If you get a chance, track how the MID "range" and the trip computer's "range" relate. I'm still trying to figure out if there is a true anomoly, or this activity of the ranges being off from each other by a few miles is normal...
Old 08-19-2006, 11:11 PM
Pro

avlcat, burn me your cd-r for $20.00!
Old 08-20-2006, 12:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JOES05tl
avlcat, burn me your cd-r for $20.00!
shit for $20? i'll burn you the CD. if you're serious, PM me.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:06 AM

same here, anyone wants a copy send me a PM
Old 08-20-2006, 12:16 PM
Racer

Just so you all know, when I had my 2004 Accord the Navi Trip never matched my MID trip neither. IT was always off by a few miles... Grant it the accord could not show me MPG and all that on the trip, but my total miles never matched... Not sure if this helps anyone but thought I would bring up...

Quick Reply: Trip Computer Enabled Without Compromises