Treo 650 vs. Blackberry 7290 experience

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 12:31 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Treo 650 vs. Blackberry 7290 experience

So I just switched from a Treo 650 (unlocked GSM) to a Blackberry 7290, and there is no comparison.

The Blackberry is nearly perfect. It transfers calls to the car from the phone automatically when you get in, has great volume, works from everywhere in the car (including the trunk), and allows you to switch (on the handset) from handset > car > headset (Motorola HS850 in my case) without any issues. Battery and signal indicators work as advertised. Interestingly you can't "accidentally" dial when the BB is in the holster or locked (so if you have a code others can't circumvent security to illegally use your phone).

Treo 650, on the other hand, is crap. Call waiting (pressing "talk" on the steering wheel) transfers the call to the Treo (or hangs up), volume is "iffy", no indicators in the MID, and calls dial properly about half the time. Also you can't use the keys on the Treo if it's locked, and can't unlock it when it's paired for some reason. Doesn't matter, since the GSM version holds the tones too long, rendering telco automated telco systems useless anyhow.

Note that my BB is on Cingular "Blue" and the Treo was on Cingular "Orange." The latter sucks.

-josh
Old 09-08-2005, 03:41 PM
100k miles club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for sharing

was thinking of this upgrade as well since the Treo 650's phone capabilities are just hilariously unstable. my treo was a locked cingular gsm. i got it unlocked before i switched to t-mobile.

Originally Posted by lindros2
allows you to switch (on the handset) from handset > car > headset (Motorola HS850 in my case) without any issues.
that's a big plus in my book. i hate it when i'm using HFL and when i get home i'm unable to switch to my HS850. the pair with HFL just won't fully disconnect. i have to use the phone normally . i was amazed how the HS850 paired/worked with a RAZR but wasn't too surprised since both products are motorola. is there a lag during the pairing between headset and BB when you open the boom? i sometimes miss the call on the treo coz it took so long for it to pair after i open the boom

how long did it take for you to get used to the new interface? thinking of picking up the t-mobile version if the goods outweight the bads
Old 09-08-2005, 04:21 PM
Black

Let me say this:

I was carrying around 3 devices - Treo 650, Blackberry 7280 (AT&T) and a Verizon phone when the Treo wouldn't work for shit (frequently). My company has BES v4.0 so the BB was a no-brainer. The Treo does almost everything, but it has too many issues (and a abysmal [useless] tech support team).

So to answer your question: I didn't have to get used to the new interface, rather I had to get used to the Blackberry phone app and Bluetooth settings (remember to designate your devices as "trusted" or you'll have to manually accept connections each and every time). After setting the BB to report missed calls (it doesn't by default...) I was golden.

Highly recommended.

Treo 650? Got a long, long way to go.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:25 PM
5th Gear

I'm gonna tend to disagree a little bit.

I'm using a Treo 650 Cingular GSM with the latest ROM update. 1.15 I believe. Now that I have upgraded the firmware the phone works great. I have not had an issue yet. The phone connects as soon as I enter the car, sends and recieves call on que with no issues. Transfers from the HFL to the phone and vice versa with no problems. Caller ID works but not signal or battery. So besides the display of battery and signal, all is perfect with the new firmware upgrade. I recieve at least 10 calls a day in the car and for the last 2 weeks, no problems at all. So there is some Treo hope.

FYI - Spoke to the Acure HFL team that states the newest Treo drivers are still in testing, they were happy to hear that it was working well.

VW / 05 TL
Old 09-08-2005, 08:58 PM
100k miles club

Originally Posted by lindros2
Let me say this:

I was carrying around 3 devices - Treo 650, Blackberry 7280 (AT&T) and a Verizon phone when the Treo wouldn't work for shit (frequently). My company has BES v4.0 so the BB was a no-brainer. The Treo does almost everything, but it has too many issues (and a abysmal [useless] tech support team).

So to answer your question: I didn't have to get used to the new interface, rather I had to get used to the Blackberry phone app and Bluetooth settings (remember to designate your devices as "trusted" or you'll have to manually accept connections each and every time). After setting the BB to report missed calls (it doesn't by default...) I was golden.

Highly recommended.

Treo 650? Got a long, long way to go.
i'm sure the BB will be a good PDA as how my treo is. my main concern is the phone functionality and bluetooth. would you say the BB is comparable or surpass the treo in terms of phone and bluetooth functionality. from the examples you have given, it seems like it will surpass it. any others worth mentioning.

so far i've bought:
verichat - $40/year (IM software) -- BB has they're own 3rd party but for $5 more
ringo - $30 (mp3 ringtone capability) -- haven't found a similar app yet for BB
missing sync - $40 (sync software for mac) -- not sure if BB will work on mac

is there a site that has BB apps that are free? i see you got the 7280, right? i would have to get 7100t from t-mobile and they have the crappy keyboard.

hmm, looks like i'm stuck with a poor investment on the treo. i really wished they spent more time on the phone and bluetooth since the pda part is solid

velocityworks: i'm running 1.15 and at first it was running better with HFL but if you were to talk for more than 20 minutes on HFL, there's times it'll lose connection. i'd have to pick up the handset and use it the traditional way. then seconds later it re-pairs itself. i'm still plagued by random resets as well. and the HS850 lag during pairing is unacceptable. i guess since i'm a computer geek, i tend to be more picky with toys
Old 09-08-2005, 09:31 PM
Instructor

I'm using a Sprint Treo 650 with the latest firmware 1.12. Caller ID and signal strength work, but the battery indicator doesn't work. The phone works pretty well with the TL. The Treo is a better PDA than it is a phone, but having both in one device is worth some sacrifices.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:18 AM
5th Gear

I would personally say the Treo is a much more functional PDA than the Blackberry. The Blackberry is a great phone, mail client and calendar but that's about it. I'm saying this having had 2 Blackberry's before my Treo 650. My company also ran BES but the Treo will sync with Exchange right out the box.

I guess I am lucky in having my Treo work great. No problems with length of call either. Had an hour long conversation a few days ago while traveling without a hitch.

I guess when the BB will allow me to remotely control servers via a Remote Term client, or act like a 2GB mp3 player, or play full length movies, or allow me to check my flight status, be a quad band (true world phone) or the other million different apps you can get for a Palm based device, I'll think about switching back.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:05 AM
Black

My apologies as this has gotten a bit off track.

The KEY POINT of my post was that when it comes to PHONE and BLUETOOTH functionality, the Blackberry 7290 (black color for Cingular/AT&T, gunmetal gray on T-Mobile) is FAR SUPERIOR to my UNLOCKED GSM Treo 650. The Treo 650 simply DOES NOT WORK with the RL and only PARTIALLY works with the TL (try call waiting guys and tell me what happens). As an aside, it COMPLETELY doesn't work with the BMW 5-series and Infiniti M35/45.

The fact that I don't have a network provider (locked to the phone, that is), I've received LITTLE OR NO SUPPORT from people that are either COMPLETE IDIOTS or reside in a THIRD WORLD COUNTRY AND SPEAK NO ENGLISH.

I could forward along all of my e-mail threads to/from Palm, but it's a waste of space and bandwidth.

The Sprint and Cingular versions may be better, but this underscores what a mess of morons Palm really is - releasing different Bluetooth profiles, DTMF settings, and other things (different size/weight for what it's worth).
Old 09-09-2005, 01:22 PM
Instructor

My Sprint Treo 650 works every single time in my TL and its certainly not a pos.

have the 1.12 update and it works great.

I have never had a blackberry but I wouldn't trade my 650 for anything right now.