Treo 650 (Good news now?... start from Page 3.)

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 12:51 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just received my Sprint Treo 650 last night and completed the 1.08 update this morning, but NO HFL. I paired the Treo to the TL once before and after the update, but no HFL. I even unlocked the security, but still no HFL.

My Sony Ericsson T610 always popped up on my display, but I can't get the TL to find the Treo signal. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:24 PM
goodbye RL for now...

Umm...I was actually able to get the dealership to watch me as I paired my new car to my Sprint Treo 650. I used it the entire way home. It was flawless. Although the next morning, my friends tried to call using my phone while I was in my car learning more about the electronics, I all of a suddent had the phone call re-routed to the car instead of being on the handheld. The user of my Treo was outside almost to the extent of the Bluetooth reach, but I was the one communicating. It was kind of weird. It scared me for a bit, but I guess the car just has to be completely off. I also have a Motorola Bluetooth Headset which I used for a while before I bought the car which worked fine.

With the latest update from PalmOne, 1.08 SPCS, the TL still does not show battery level or reception level.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:44 PM
10th Gear

After clearing the system, I was able to re-pair my Sony T608 back to the TL and finally got the Treo 650 to work. The T608 works better, because the MIDI lists the battery level and signal strength. The Treo works fine, but the caller ID stays on the MIDI after the phone call has ended. I hope the next 650 software update corrects these issues and can work as well as my T608.

The nice flaw in the Treo is the handset can make a call and the audio is AUTOMATICALLY transferred to the HFL. The T608 requires the standard pressing TALK and stating the TRANSFER command.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:21 AM
Advanced

press button when entering car?

I have a Treo 650 on Sprint and installed the patch. It works well except that I have to press a button on the treo after starting the car to get the treo to connect via bluetooth. It works fine after that. Has anyone heard of this? I checked around and couldnt find any other info. Thanks.

-Andy
Old 04-05-2005, 12:32 AM
Intermediate

I have the unlocked GSM Treo 650 and it works flawlessly on my new TL. It paired immediately, I can make and receive calls 100% of the time with no problems.

What I'm reading here seems to indicate that Sprint phones are the biggest problem. It is possible that certain parts of the Bluetooth profile are disabled by Sprint (who specs any phone that they purchase).

I purchased the unlocked GSM phone (using on T-Mobile) specifically because not a single feature or profile has been disabled by PalmOne.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:35 AM
goodbye RL for now...

I actually have the Sprint 650 and so far so good. I don't have to actually press any button for pairing everytime I get into the car. Just check out the settings that you have on your phone for the handsfree profile. I was able to just switch mine around so that it finally rings, etc or automatically picks up, etc. Good luck!

I just wish that it would relay the reception.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:54 PM
Advanced

Finally got my Sprint Treo 650 to work. I thought that I had checked all the settings correctly but the wakeup bluetooth mode was off. I changed that and it works, kind of.

I have a new problem, as soon as I turn on the car, the phone icon in the car shows up and that its connected. As soon as I place a call, the call goes to my phone. After that first call, the system works great and all my calls are routed to the car. Any ideas on this one?

Thanks

-Andy
Old 04-08-2005, 01:13 PM
8th Gear

I am so excited! And Ijust can't hide it!

I just purchased a Treo 650 and after much tinkering it seems to work great with the HFL. It has made me love my car even more!

Quick Question: How do most of your phone when you have people in the car? Do you just switch to an earpiece, do you just have conversations out in the open, do you have an earpiece nearby that you switch to as needed?
Old 04-08-2005, 05:31 PM
Intermediate

Is there any way to dial numbers from the 650? The handsfree with voice control is annoying at times, whenever I try to dial a number from the phone itself, it does not connect to the HFL.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:37 PM
10th Gear

I have a new problem, as soon as I turn on the car, the phone icon in the car shows up and that its connected. As soon as I place a call, the call goes to my phone. After that first call, the system works great and all my calls are routed to the car. Any ideas on this one?

Thanks

-Andy[/QUOTE]

I have the same issue: The first call I make from the Treo handset each time I get in the car never gets connected. I have to say "transfer" in order for it to connect. Thereafter all calls made from the Treo automatically go to the car. However, it always connects when I use the voice command to dial.

The other issue I have is that when I get an incoming call I always have to say "Hello" twice. The person calling never hears the first "Hello" no matter how long I wait to say it.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:34 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by OrangeMarlin
Is there any way to dial numbers from the 650? The handsfree with voice control is annoying at times, whenever I try to dial a number from the phone itself, it does not connect to the HFL.
After you dial the call, wait until the other person answers then press the HFL button your steering wheel and say "Transfer". This will switch the call to HFL.

YOu can also use this to transfer a call from HFL back to the phone (say if you have reached your destination and want to get out of the car.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:46 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ibeplato
After you dial the call, wait until the other person answers then press the HFL button your steering wheel and say "Transfer". This will switch the call to HFL.

YOu can also use this to transfer a call from HFL back to the phone (say if you have reached your destination and want to get out of the car.
Thank you!!!! I probably could have read these instructions somewhere, but this is nicer!
Old 04-12-2005, 07:38 AM
10th Gear

I have not had much success with the transfer feature. I believe the Treo still needs another software update and can reach its full bluetooth potential on the TL. The first call out always requires a hang up and redial for it to cnnect to the HFL. There are still phones which have not met the TLs approved list.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:20 PM
2nd Gear

Treo650 by Sprint and my TL

My purchase of the TL was delayed for about a month while I tested my 650 in various TL's. After having no luck, I decided, that a $600 phone was not going to get in the way of a $35,000 car.

I bought the TL on Tuesday April 19th. Three nights later and after reading these posts, I decided to try my luck at pairing my 650 one more time.

It now works!!! Up too and including last night, I experienced many of the problems stated on this site. After a successful pair, the car would nolonger recognize my phone. Phone Status would tell me that no phones had been paired. Sometimes I couldn't even complete the pair. The process would just end while it was trying to confirm the name I had given this pair.

What worked for me?
I took my cordless land-line phone (is that an oxy moron?) into my car. I deleted all paired objects in both the car system and my phone.
I went through the pairing process as instructed. When complete, I did not initiate a call from my car nor my cell phone. In fact, after the pair, the display in my car did not show a phone symbol or antennae. I did not check the status at this point.

I called my 650 from the cordless phone in my car. The TL instantly recognized the pair and the display showed the phone icon and displayed the caller ID!!! It has worked flawlessly since.

It's been a day now and the pair still holds.

The display does not show battery nor signal strength. But with all the problems I have been experiencing over the last couple months, I am happy just to have a "handsfree link."

Now, do any of you know how to turn up the mic sensitivity in the car so that callers can hear me better?
Sincerely,
Corey
Old 05-12-2005, 07:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts
Verizon Treo 650 is now released for business customers as of yesterday. It will be out for others on 5/23. I ordered mine and it will arrive tomorrow. Will post regarding success or failure in TL.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:18 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Angry DANG!!... Verizon Treo 650 Bluetooth Problems

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Verizon Treo 650 is now released for business customers as of yesterday. It will be out for others on 5/23. I ordered mine and it will arrive tomorrow. Will post regarding success or failure in TL.
I have the Treo 650 from Verizon and have been having some serious problems. I easily got it to pair the first day but it doesn't seem to keep the BT connection. The little phone icon on the console that indicates a BT connection dissappears and the phone buttons on the steering wheel go dead. Sometimes the connection will re-establish itself, sometimes not...

I re-paired my phone and the connection seemed better, but started dropping again later in the day. Is this the same problem that the Sprint Treo 650 users were having? Any recommendations?
Old 06-07-2005, 08:00 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by mrwizard
I have the Treo 650 from Verizon and have been having some serious problems. I easily got it to pair the first day but it doesn't seem to keep the BT connection. The little phone icon on the console that indicates a BT connection dissappears and the phone buttons on the steering wheel go dead. Sometimes the connection will re-establish itself, sometimes not...
My Cingular 650 worked fine since march, however last week it started having the exact same problem. I'm at the dealer now waiting to see if they can fix it.

I just took at a look at www.acurahandsfreelink.com and it says that the Treo 650 is NOT supported, so I'm crossing my fingers that the dealer will be able to fix it.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:50 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks Neuronbob, I'm looking forward to your experience with the Verizon Treo 650. I'm experiencing the same stuff people are complaining about. The phone paired without a problem, and when I enter the car my first call usually occurs without a flaw. But then it seems like the connection between phone and HFL is lost and when I try to make another call I get the "no phone" message. Then a bit later someone will call me and HFL will answer the call like its supposed to. Very erratic and unpredictable behavior.

People have discussed loading the patch on PalmOne to fix their troubles, but does anyone know if this patch is carrier specific? The patch on PalmOne says its for Sprint Treo. Is there a Verizon patch?
Old 06-10-2005, 12:21 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by pcmendy
Thanks Neuronbob, I'm looking forward to your experience with the Verizon Treo 650. I'm experiencing the same stuff people are complaining about. The phone paired without a problem, and when I enter the car my first call usually occurs without a flaw. But then it seems like the connection between phone and HFL is lost and when I try to make another call I get the "no phone" message. Then a bit later someone will call me and HFL will answer the call like its supposed to. Very erratic and unpredictable behavior.

People have discussed loading the patch on PalmOne to fix their troubles, but does anyone know if this patch is carrier specific? The patch on PalmOne says its for Sprint Treo. Is there a Verizon patch?
Verizon claims that the patch isn't needed as in theory, what's needed is included with the phone as it came out much later than the others.

I had to go into my Treo and erase the profile in "Trusted Devices", then erase the paring in the car, then do it all again. It seems to have improved the performance, but it's still a bit erratic where it will lose connection during a call, then reacquire and continue the call. It does work much, much better now.

Here is Verizon's response to email to tech support:

Thank you for contacting the Verizon Wireless website. We are sorry to
learn that you are having difficulty with your Treo 650 Bluetooth
service. As part of our Worry Free Guarantee, your concern becomes our
concern the first time you contact us. We are happy to assist you with
your question.

The Treo 650' ability to pair with your Acura is available. There are a
couple of reasons as to why you may be dropping your connection.
However, these are the troubleshooting steps we will take to try to resolve
the issue..

1. Enable the Bluetooth environment on the device
2. Delete and recreate the paired connection
3. Creating a paired connection - Treo 650 and Bluetooth headset

To enable the device, please reset your handset. You can do so by
inserting the stylus on the back of the Palm.

Please follow the instructions below to resolve your paired connection
issue:

1. Press on the Home key until All appears in the upper right corner.
2. Locate and tap on Bluetooth.
3. Tap on Setup Devices.
4. Tap on Trusted Devices.
5. Tap on the device to be removed and then tap on Details.
6. Tap on Delete Device.
7. Tap OK.
8. Tap Done.
9. Tap Done.
10. Removing a paired device is complete.

After you have deleted a paired connection, please recreate the
connection.

1. Press on the Home key until All appears in the upper right corner.
2. Locate and tap on Bluetooth.
3. If Bluetooth is Off, tap On to turn Bluetooth On. Tap the Setup
Devices icon.
4. Tap on Hands-free Setup.
5. Tap on Next.
6. Tap on the desired handsfree device and tap OK.
7. Enter the passkey for the handsfree device and tap OK.
8. The connection between the Treo and the handsfree device is
complete. Tap Done.

Please try to Create a paired connection now.

If for any reason, the troubleshooting steps above did not resolve your
issue, please reply to this email for further troubleshooting steps.

If you have further questions or concerns, please write to us again
through www.VerizonWireless.com. We appreciate your business and thank
you for choosing Verizon Wireless.

Sincerely,

Paula
Verizon Wireless
Data Technical Support

"We never stop working for you!"
Old 06-16-2005, 11:16 AM
Advanced

More Verizon user feedback?

Those of you with the Verizon 650, how are things continuing to go? I'm wanting to pick this up for my wife, but if it is this erratic, may hold off. Lord knows, the patch that Acura refers to here will probably take forever to come out for Verizon.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:47 AM
6th Gear

I am experiencing the same reliablitiy issues too with my Verizon Treo 650. My phone will also sometimes reboot itself when I try to initiate a call via Handsfree Link. What is even wierder is that when it searches for network service, crazy characters come up and the phone goes to roam.

I thought I might have a corrupted profile so I did a hard reset and reinstalled applications, preferences and settings, but still problems. Is anyone having similar issues?

Thanks,

Neil
Old 06-20-2005, 12:43 AM
Abyss Boy

Originally Posted by naybag
I am so excited! And I just can't hide it!

I just purchased a Treo 650 and after much tinkering it seems to work great with the HFL. It has made me love my car even more!

I wholeheartedly agree. I recently purchased a Verizon Treo 650 and just think that using it with the HFL is the coolest thing ever. I love finding new reasons to love this car.

HFL + 6MT + Navi =
Old 06-20-2005, 07:04 PM
Advanced

but does your phone show battery and signal strength on the in-dash screen?
Old 06-21-2005, 12:44 PM
Abyss Boy

No, but I can live without it. As long as it works, I'm happy. If I want to know how much battery I have left, I can always look at the phone.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:48 PM
3rd Gear

It turns out that some of my issues witht he Verizon Treo 650 were due to a bad battery. Now that this is replaced my HFL experience with the Treo has been excellent. I don't need to use the transfer function. It initiates calls and answers calls without a problem and this is a truly wonderful and convenient thing. It does not show battery or signal strength but such is life. I still on occasion lose the BT connection so I get the "no phone" message, but this has become much less frequent. I wonder if the position of the phone is an issue, I just keep it on my belt where I normally wear it.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:22 PM
Advanced

HFL displaying wrong Caller ID

My HFL is not displaying the correct Caller ID using my Treo 650. It displays prior Caller IDs from previous calls. Anybody having this problem and have a solution?
Old 10-29-2005, 11:22 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ntaylor
Those of you with the Verizon 650, how are things continuing to go? I'm wanting to pick this up for my wife, but if it is this erratic, may hold off. Lord knows, the patch that Acura refers to here will probably take forever to come out for Verizon.

Any News from Acura on the fix mentioned in you attached link? I would love to see if they have released the fix?!?!?

I just purchased my treo650 a couple of weeks ago, and am experiencing these same issues. My Verizon version is 1.03 and I know they have an update on the the palm website for 1.04, but if it does not address the bluetooth issue, then I would just be waisting my time.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Old 10-29-2005, 12:10 PM
2005 Acura TL w/ Navi

bob05TL, is there a reason why u posted almost the same questions on 3 different threads?!? sheeeeesh, one is enuf dude...
Old 10-29-2005, 11:31 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chita79
bob05TL, is there a reason why u posted almost the same questions on 3 different threads?!? sheeeeesh, one is enuf dude...
Yes, I need an answer quickly if I am going to return my phone because it does not work with my tl!!! If these problems can not be fixed, then the phone is sh-- and I am going to get rid of it.

If I am bother to you...sorry, but these threads are 3 months old and basically, they are probably not monitored anymore, thus trying to get an answer!!!!

If you do not have anything positive then Sheeeesh, don't waist your, ours, and my time posting!!!!
Old 10-30-2005, 09:58 AM
Abyss Boy

Bob05tl,

I have had my Verizon Treo 650 since June and have loved using it with my TL. Yes, ther have been a couple of occasions, especially shortly after I first got the Treo, when the car would cause the phone to do a soft reset. But those occasions have been few and far between.

I upgraded the Treo firmware to 1.04 about a week and a half ago and did have one soft reset since then. I'd say my success rate is 85-90% with using the bluetooth in the car. It's not perfect, but I'm willing to put up with it to not have to wear a headset while driving.

If your success rate is much lower, I would suggest taking the Treo back and swapping it for another one. There is always the chance you got a bad one. Just make sure you get another 14 days to try out the second one.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:17 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Granticus
Bob05tl,

I have had my Verizon Treo 650 since June and have loved using it with my TL. Yes, ther have been a couple of occasions, especially shortly after I first got the Treo, when the car would cause the phone to do a soft reset. But those occasions have been few and far between.

I upgraded the Treo firmware to 1.04 about a week and a half ago and did have one soft reset since then. I'd say my success rate is 85-90% with using the bluetooth in the car. It's not perfect, but I'm willing to put up with it to not have to wear a headset while driving.

If your success rate is much lower, I would suggest taking the Treo back and swapping it for another one. There is always the chance you got a bad one. Just make sure you get another 14 days to try out the second one.
Thanks for the information!!! Did the upgrade help your phones performance at all? What differences have you noticed?

Also, did it give you the ability to display the signal strength and battery indicator? I am trying to decide if it is worth the upgrade to 1.04. Also, I got my wife a treo 650 also, and hers is behaving the same way. If I go through the 1.04 upgrade, I am hoping this will help!!!

Again, thanks for the info!!!
Old 10-30-2005, 02:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts
I haven't gone through the 1.04 upgrade yet. I've now had my VZW T650 since May and things have improved with each upgrade. I still can't see battery indicator or signal strength on mine. I note that occasionally when I make a call using HFL, the Treo will reset. This tends to happen when the memory is nearly full, so I make a conscius effort to prune unnecessary detritus from my system.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:59 AM
Abyss Boy

I cannot see the battery life nor signal strength indicators in the TL, even after the 1.04 upgrade. But that's just another thing I can live with. To me the most important thing is that I can make and receive calls using the HFL. It would be nice if it showed the battery and/or signal strength, but I don't consider that a make or break issue.

I know other phones show all that stuff, but to me, I want convergence. Several years ago I had a Samsung I300, my first smartphone and I have never looked back. I will NEVER go back to a stand-alone phone. It's just too convenient to have your PDA and phone rolled into one. The fact that the bluetooth works with the TL is just gravy to me.

Oh yeah, the only change I've noticed since upgrading was that it looked like the phone is using a little less memory than it used to. I wasn't having many problems so I guess I wouldn't know if anything was actually fixed.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:07 AM
Instructor

I just called palm and spoke to them about the 1.04 upgrade. They said that it is really only for 2 things, memory management (like everyone already knows), and the verizon wireless sync. It is supposted to make both work better and smoother.

For me, I am using versamail because my company is on exchange, but not 2003 with activesync, thus, I need to leave my outlook open to recieve e-mail via verizonsync and that defeats the purpose of having the treo. Once my company upgrades, I will utilize verizon.

Also, the palm guy told me that if you are not experiencing any issues with these two areas, NOT to do the upgrade. His reasoning was that if you have a working unit, do not mess with it. I thought that was interesting and you guys might want to know.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:58 AM
5mins2disney.com

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I have a Sprint Treo 650 and it's paired to both of my cars, no problem. I also paired it to an 05 TL I got from the dealer as a service loaner while my MDX was in getting fixed! I will tell you....it's been a very buggy PITA process...but it did work. It's dependent on the latest version of the phone SW running on your TREO, we have about 15 of these phones now (I'm an IT Guy)....and a few people needed updates to run their phones bluetooth (my boss has his paired to his BMW 530i)...

For some reason the pairing process works well sometimes, doesn't others. I did follow the instructions mentioned above during the pairing process itself. Rebooting the phone and car after pairing also seems to help for some strage reason.

Finally, the phone (I think it's the phone not the car since this happens in both my Acuras)....doesn't always work over HFL every single time. Sometimes I dial a phone # from my phone, and the car doesn't pick it up. If I hang up and dial again a 2nd time from my phone, the car then picks it up and it works over HFL every single time.

If I receive a call or initiate a call from the Navi it works every single time.

Phone version #S:
Says Options/About - Palmone Phone v.1.0
Options/phone info:
PCS Vision
Software: Treo650-1.12-SPCS

Hope this helps you guys. You can also delete the profiles on your car and phone, reboot both, and try the setup again from scratch. Recently I dropped my Treo (oops, totally shattered screen, good thing it's a company phone! hehe)... and had to pair the new one with the cars again. It took me quite a few attempts to "get" it to pair... on both cars actually, but eventually worked. At one point I almost gave up and thought something was broken ...and then it mysteriously worked suddenly.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:39 PM
Instructor

Yes, my sprint pcs does the same thing... It doesn't dial on the first call intiated from the phone, every single time. It's not a big deal, just hit the button on the wheel and say transfer and works fine every time after that. On incoming calls it does pick up on the first call... strange.

I am also running 1.12a software/firmware whatever version. lol

Overall I must say I am pleased with the performance of the Acura HFL and my sprint treo 650
Old 11-29-2005, 10:54 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by schneil
I am experiencing the same reliablitiy issues too with my Verizon Treo 650. My phone will also sometimes reboot itself when I try to initiate a call via Handsfree Link. What is even wierder is that when it searches for network service, crazy characters come up and the phone goes to roam.

I thought I might have a corrupted profile so I did a hard reset and reinstalled applications, preferences and settings, but still problems. Is anyone having similar issues?

Thanks,

Neil
I'm having the exact same issues. My phone is one week old.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:56 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just installed the latest Cingular upgrade and it added signal strength and a roaming (?) indicator to my MID. Very nice. I think it added a roaming indicator as I noticed it said "RM" in the display for a few blocks this morning on my way to work. I haven't checked the manual, though.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:33 PM
100k miles club

Originally Posted by bluenoise
I just installed the latest Cingular upgrade and it added signal strength and a roaming (?) indicator to my MID. Very nice. I think it added a roaming indicator as I noticed it said "RM" in the display for a few blocks this morning on my way to work. I haven't checked the manual, though.
same here. this update actually made it worse on HFL but improved connectivity with my moto headset. i'm tired of this phone and will be getting a Nokia E61 to replace it

BTW i posted about the update here https://acurazine.com/forums/technology-16/cingular-treo-650-owners-1-17-update-else-325575/ for me
Old 12-06-2005, 04:12 PM
Intermediate

I love the phone, but hate the bluetooth link wmy Acura. Unfortunately, b/c of the wireless sync function, etc., this is my best option w/Verizon. I'm hopeful they'll fix the bt issues in the near future if enough people complain of the problems. I've sent several complaint emails. . . .

Quick Reply: Treo 650 (Good news now?... start from Page 3.)