Treo 650 (Good news now?... start from Page 3.)

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 11:32 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My TL and Treo650 are now great friends

I downloaded the patch and have used the phone several times in the last 24 hours with the TL. In and out of the car alot, it pairs right back up. Making calls works great! (no soft resets as mentioned above). Receiving calls is excellent too!

So far, I am way impressed with it, especially with how quickly PamOne stepped up with a patch.

Happy Holidays!!!! I got my Christmas gift!!!!

And as far as the battery meter and signal strength, I don't care.
Old 12-24-2004, 08:58 PM
Cruisin'

Verizon and Treo 650

As I started reading this thread I was panicked! I was hoping to purchase the T650 the second Verizon released it so I can get rid of my piece of junk Motorola phone and Sony Clie and pair up with my '04 TL.

There is now hope! Does anyone know when Verizon is planning to release the T650?? I heard some rumors about January 1st '05 but nothing confirmed.
Old 12-24-2004, 09:55 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Since this issue seems to be soloved now, I'll change the subject of this thread....

I could re-consider my next phone from now on. Treo 650 seems pretty good.

Additional Link: http://bluetoothcar.typepad.com/
Old 12-25-2004, 11:37 AM
I like you, do u like me?

Hallelujah!!! It's christmas morning and I was browsing treocentral.com and i read about the patch! What a relief!! Now I just have to wait for the GSM version to be released so I can retire my treo 600.
Old 12-25-2004, 12:53 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Hallelujah!!! It's christmas morning and I was browsing treocentral.com and i read about the patch! What a relief!! Now I just have to wait for the GSM version to be released so I can retire my treo 600.

ditto, except I can retire my T180! Been waiting for bluetooth and GSM.
Old 12-25-2004, 12:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
This is great news. Now I'm really hopping Verizon gets the phone soon. I'll be happy to sell my Moto V710 and Tungsten C for this type of total functionality. I know that I can hack a 650 to work with Verizon, but I'd rather not, so I'll wait.
Old 12-25-2004, 08:23 PM
Abyss Boy

I'm with you, neuronbob. I'm really glad to hear p1 is addressing the connectivity, but I'm locked in with Verizon. Besides, my New Every 2 won't become available to me until mid February so they have until then to get the Treo 650 ready for me.
Old 12-26-2004, 08:30 AM
7th Gear

Treo 650

Morning Everyone, I'm updating my Treo 650, and the sceen is lit but blank. Is this normal or should I start freaking out.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:38 PM
Cruisin'

I have an Audiovox SMT 5600. It is an ATT Smartphone and is pretty cool. It Syncs with outlook and the blude tooth works on my 04 TL and a Jabra Handsfree. The only reason I wanted the Treo is because Sprint service is less expensive and has fewer dropped calls in CA.

The unlimited data plan is very good and is free on my wifes sprint plan and ATT changes 24 dollars for data (on each phone) this is just a rip off. As soon as sprint gets a good smartphone or possibly a Treo that works with the TL I will be back. ATT is very high priced - they charge for text message, sprint does not, They charge to send pictures, and sprint does not, etc.etc.

This is a very cool phone and only about 240 dollars (You have to get it from ATT) NOT Cingular.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:03 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by RGHessel
Just to add to my original post below, after using the patched Treo 650 with my TL, a few odd problems have poppled up when I attempt to dial from the phone book. About 50 % of the time, once the car tells the phone to dial (after I made a "call Home" from the phone book command), the phone totally crashes and does a soft reset. When I dial using just numbers it seems to work okay. I havent been able to figure out any pattern, since some of the phonebook entries I used in the morning that worked, no longer worked when I got back in my car to go home.

Hmmm...

What are other people's experiences with the patched Treo?
I too have had this experience. At first I thought it was due to my bluetooth headset (Sony-Ericson HBH-660) also being on in the car. I've pretty much ruled this out. Cannot find a pattern either...
Old 01-07-2005, 08:34 AM
Enthusiastic Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FYI - For those of you having reboot problems with your 650.

I have SprintPCS and 650 and it was working well with my TL, except if I try and make a call right after getting in the car (Bluetooth not linked yet?)

After about a month, any use of email on the Treo caused it to recycle power and often turn back on, but not get on to the Sprint phone system.

I hope it's ok to refer to another site here. Go check out the various threads on http://www.treocentral.com/ in the "Discussion" area. I qon't put the whole quote here, but essentially the reboot, or power cycling was caused by corrupt files on the 650.

I rely on this site heavily for TL stuff, including TL and 650, however, I think the reboot problem is more TREO - related, so I suggest you all get some TREO sites that you can rely on like we all do this one for the TL.

Some people on the other site recommend Hard Reboot, but I suggest you read a lot before doing this, or any other suggested solution to fix a problem.

For what it's worth, the suggestion I read on the other site that involves deleting the potentially-corrupt files on my TREO fixed my power cycling problem entirely.

Hope this helps .
Old 01-31-2005, 11:09 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

I just received my GSM (ATT/Cingular) Treo 650 today and it exhibits the same behavior as the pre-patched Sprint models described earlier in this thread. Unfortunately, the updater does not work with the GSM version of the phone (well, at least not mine ).
Old 02-01-2005, 07:44 AM
10th Gear

I've had my Treo 650 (with the patch) now for a couple of weeks. I've had no problems with it linking, making or receiving calls. However, I'm a bit disappointed in the sound quality. Others have trouble hearing me - as if there is a bad connection. I also have to turn the volume way up to hear them. Since this is my first bluetooth phone with this car, I was wondering how the quality of the call on the Treo compares with the quality of other bluetooth phones that others may have used with the TL?
Old 02-01-2005, 11:41 AM
7th Gear

Connection with the patch is hit and miss

I bought my Treo 650 thru Sprint a month ago and still can't get a consistent bluetooth connection even with the patch. I can't start phone calls from my TL My TL can't "find" my phone, even though I re-paired the phone and TL at least a dozen times. All outgoing calls have to original from my phone, and maybe it will transfer to my car. Incoming calls are also hit and miss.

I've reinstalled the patch on my phone at least five times, with the same results.

Audio quality is also poor.

Any thoughts on what I can do to improve the bluetooth signal? Am I doing something wrong?
Old 02-03-2005, 04:30 PM
6th Gear

Cingular 650 is out, only $399.99 with 2y contr

wow , i am going to get one soon...

http://www.cingular.com/treo650
Old 02-04-2005, 12:06 AM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Originally Posted by bluenoise
I just received my GSM (ATT/Cingular) Treo 650 today and it exhibits the same behavior as the pre-patched Sprint models described earlier in this thread. Unfortunately, the updater does not work with the GSM version of the phone (well, at least not mine ).
This has been fixed by a new GSM version of the updater.
Old 02-04-2005, 01:12 PM
Cruisin'

In the patch information from PalmOne's website it says

"Observe the carrier name and signal strength in the car kit*."

* Car kits vary in the list of supported handsfree calling features. Please check the car kit documentation to learn more about your car kit and its user interface.

So they think that the signal strength does display on the car, but i assume that is incorrect in the TL's case? has anyone emailed them to ask?

Thanks

Graham
Old 02-04-2005, 01:39 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Originally Posted by madas
In the patch information from PalmOne's website it says

"Observe the carrier name and signal strength in the car kit*."

* Car kits vary in the list of supported handsfree calling features. Please check the car kit documentation to learn more about your car kit and its user interface.

So they think that the signal strength does display on the car, but i assume that is incorrect in the TL's case? has anyone emailed them to ask?

Thanks

Graham
I got a voicemail from their BlueTooth Product Manager this morning thanking me for bringing the updater problem to their attention. In reply, I sent him an email thanking him for the quick response to the problem and I let him know that the basic calling functionality is working fine for me. I mentioned that a "nice cherry on top" would be if it also supported signal and battery strength display on the TL's HFL. I offered to test any new patches or software, if would help him.

If I get a meaningful reply, I'll post an update here.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:34 AM
7th Gear

TREO 650/SprintPCS/TL - Report on Experience.

Originally Posted by RGHessel
Just to add to my original post below, after using the patched Treo 650 with my TL, a few odd problems have poppled up when I attempt to dial from the phone book. About 50 % of the time, once the car tells the phone to dial (after I made a "call Home" from the phone book command), the phone totally crashes and does a soft reset. When I dial using just numbers it seems to work okay. I havent been able to figure out any pattern, since some of the phonebook entries I used in the morning that worked, no longer worked when I got back in my car to go home.

Hmmm...

What are other people's experiences with the patched Treo?

I have owned my TL since mid December. Went through the pre-patch frustration reported by many on this thread.

Palm posted a second (updated ?) patch on February 3rd which I installed. Not sure the Treo/Sprint patch is any different as I have not noticed any improvements. I think the "updated" status of the patch site was for the new Cingular version and not the Sprint version despite what Palm website implies. There are also new more detailed instructions for the Sprint version and "Release Notes" posted by Palm on the download page. None of those items addressed or fixed my issues.

Performance Report:

1. Phone pairs up everytime I enter the car with BT turned on.
2. No signal strength shown, just the little tower when phone is active and little telephone symbol in the small screen above the Navi.
3. Caller ID (meaning incoming telephone number) works fine on most incoming calls.
4. I get the crash and soft reset when dialing from phonebook about 20% of the time. Sometimes the reset restarts with BT on and the phone on and sometimes not. i cannot figure a pattern - originally it seemed like it was the first call after pairing up each time but that was not it. This needs to be fixed as it prevents you from just leaving the phone in your briefcase and throwing it in the car.
5. On incoming calls, if I don't answer very quickly (usually before the incoming prompt is finished speaking) the HFL "loses" the call and it is just received by the Treo. During this time however, the HFL reports "In Use" and if you try and connect by hitting the speak button HFL reports the phone in use. DOES ANYBODY ELSE HAVE THIS PROBLEM? ANY SOLUTIONS?
6. Sometimes the Treo shows a small "headset" symbol instead of the usual paired Bluetooth symbol at the top of the phone, during which time the HFL cannot connect with the Treo or reports it "In Use". Can anybody explain this? (No BT headsets are nearby when this happens.)
7. The latest update on the Palm website download page references leaving the "Allow Wakeup" setting on all the time. Any experience/problems with this setting?
8. The Palm site implies that HFL should permit dialing from a list of missed calls, or previously dialed calls. Anybody able to make this work?
9. Volume of cell call is always much much lower than the HFL prompt voice. So turning up volume to hear calls gets you a nasty suprise the next time the prompt speaks to you if you don't remember to turn it down!

Overall the Treo/TL combination works pretty well. The ability of HFL to understand the numbers for dialing and commands and phonebook numbers is pretty amazing.

Thanks to everybody for all the great and educational posts. Keep it up and we can keep pestering PalmOne to issue further patches to give us full and reliable functionality.
Old 03-12-2005, 11:34 PM
Advanced

Angry WTH is going on...what am I doing wrong?

I just picked up my '05 TL w/Navi and I am trying to pair my Treo 650 and I am getting nothing at all. I did "phone setup" gave it the 4 digit code and then used my treo to search for devices and I am not getting anything. I also tried my wife's v600 and neither are discovering anything from the car. I have updated the Treo with the Carkit patch and it still does not see the car. I have other headsets paired to the treo so the treo does work. Am I doing something wrong? I am very familiar with Bluetooth ( I work for a major wireless carrier) but I cannot get anything to pair with the car. Any suggestions?
Old 03-13-2005, 02:09 AM
Cruisin'

Himay

Try getting the HFL to find the phone. There's a quick how to in the quick reference guide that came with the car.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:22 PM
Advanced

Angry

Originally Posted by 05 TLNBP
Himay

Try getting the HFL to find the phone. There's a quick how to in the quick reference guide that came with the car.
I did that and I think I have a problem with the car's bluetooth. I do the "Phone Setup" give it the 4 digit code and then it asks if it is correct...I then say yes and then nothing happens. From reading the book it should say something like looking for compatible phone...something like that. My system just stops after I say yes to the code. Anyone have this issue or know how to fix it? I am thinking that I am going to the dealership tomorrow.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:37 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Himay
I did that and I think I have a problem with the car's bluetooth. I do the "Phone Setup" give it the 4 digit code and then it asks if it is correct...I then say yes and then nothing happens. From reading the book it should say something like looking for compatible phone...something like that. My system just stops after I say yes to the code. Anyone have this issue or know how to fix it? I am thinking that I am going to the dealership tomorrow.
Somewhere in your owners manual is a phone number to call specifically for HF problems, try that before going to the dealer.

FWIW, my phone paired without a problem - make sure your phone BT is set to be discoverable.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:38 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Himay
I just picked up my '05 TL w/Navi and I am trying to pair my Treo 650 and I am getting nothing at all. I did "phone setup" gave it the 4 digit code and then used my treo to search for devices and I am not getting anything. I also tried my wife's v600 and neither are discovering anything from the car. I have updated the Treo with the Carkit patch and it still does not see the car. I have other headsets paired to the treo so the treo does work. Am I doing something wrong? I am very familiar with Bluetooth ( I work for a major wireless carrier) but I cannot get anything to pair with the car. Any suggestions?
You shouldn't be using your treo to search for anything, you should set your treo to be discoverable in the bluetooth control panel, then follow the instructions in your manual. It sounds like you have BT discovery turned off on the Treo.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:00 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ibeplato
You shouldn't be using your treo to search for anything, you should set your treo to be discoverable in the bluetooth control panel, then follow the instructions in your manual. It sounds like you have BT discovery turned off on the Treo.
The phone is set to discoverable but the car does nothing at all. I have read all the paperwork and manuals and it does not do anything after I confirm the 4 digit with the car. It does not find 3 different phones the Treo 650 being just one of them. After it asks me if the code is correct I say "Yes" and then I hear a beep and nothing happens. I do not get a confirmation that the car is even looking for a device. It says in the book that it will say something to tell you that it is looking for a phone. I get nothing. Either I am going crazy or the BT is not working correct in the car.

I am positive the BT works with my Treo and is set to discoverable.

How long does it take for the car to find the phone? It shouldn't take more than 10 seconds or so...correct?
Old 03-13-2005, 10:05 PM
Advanced

Smile

I got it to work. I don't know what happened this time but I did everything the same and it worked just fine. GOD I love this car!!!!
Old 03-14-2005, 10:44 AM
Racer

Isn't it awesome? Having a BT phone just makes the car that much more enjoyable. I can't ever imagine having another car without a Nav & bluetooth.

We were out the other night and we wanted to go out for dinner, but the waits around here can be really long, so we pulled over and used the nav & BT phone to call a few restuarants to check wait times. Not having to dial 411 each time was awesome.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:24 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ibeplato
Isn't it awesome? Having a BT phone just makes the car that much more enjoyable. I can't ever imagine having another car without a Nav & bluetooth.

We were out the other night and we wanted to go out for dinner, but the waits around here can be really long, so we pulled over and used the nav & BT phone to call a few restuarants to check wait times. Not having to dial 411 each time was awesome.
It really is awesome. I am like a kid again. I was in front of my house and I just had to call home...my wife called me a moron. My 5 year old son was in the back seat while I was driving and he called me just so I can use the BT car kit. We were talking and laughing. I LOVE IT...HAHAHAHAHA
Old 03-15-2005, 01:27 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
I think I could imagine that moment while BT phone is paired and worked.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:30 PM
Cruisin'

I really would lilke to get the 650, but i'm concerned about BT with our HFL. Has anyone had total success with the 650 pairing? Do it automatically pair up when you get in? Are people still losing connection while dialing from the HFL?
Old 03-18-2005, 06:08 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Originally Posted by 05 TLNBP
I really would lilke to get the 650, but i'm concerned about BT with our HFL. Has anyone had total success with the 650 pairing? Do it automatically pair up when you get in? Are people still losing connection while dialing from the HFL?
It works perfectly for me. It just doesn't show signal or battery strength. It pairs automatically every time I start my car. I keep the phone plugged into a charger in the center console, if I'm going to be in the car for a long time. Signal strength and sound quality are good.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:53 PM
Cruisin'

It works perfectly for me. It just doesn't show signal or battery strength. It pairs automatically every time I start my car. I keep the phone plugged into a charger in the center console, if I'm going to be in the car for a long time. Signal strength and sound quality are good.
Do you have Cingular or Sprint?
Old 03-18-2005, 09:11 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

AT&T/Cingular
Old 03-18-2005, 09:18 PM
Cruisin'

AT&T/Cingular

Thanks!!!
Old 03-20-2005, 09:34 AM
6th Gear

I have a quick question....after you pair the phone does the treo 650 stay connected to the HFL or does it disconnect, and then reconnect if you make a call or receive a call. I have a new M45 with bluetooth, and a unlocked GSM Treo 650. The phone pairs with the car fine, when I start the car the phone connects, stays connected for about 30 seconds and then disconnects. When I receive a call it reconnects to the M and I can answer with the steering wheel controls. Problem is, after each call it disconnects again, and if I want to place a call via voice from the car, I have to reconnect the phone, and then issue the command.

Thanks for the info,
Scott

PS. There is not a palmone BT update for the unlocked version (I think they supposedly shipped with the update installed).
Old 03-20-2005, 09:41 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ScottG61376
I have a quick question....after you pair the phone does the treo 650 stay connected to the HFL or does it disconnect, and then reconnect if you make a call or receive a call. I have a new M45 with bluetooth, and a unlocked GSM Treo 650. The phone pairs with the car fine, when I start the car the phone connects, stays connected for about 30 seconds and then disconnects. When I receive a call it reconnects to the M and I can answer with the steering wheel controls. Problem is, after each call it disconnects again, and if I want to place a call via voice from the car, I have to reconnect the phone, and then issue the command.

Thanks for the info,
Scott

PS. There is not a palmone BT update for the unlocked version (I think they supposedly shipped with the update installed).
Scott,

Sounds like you're having the same problem I was having before I installed the latest patch. I was seeing the same thing and then after I updated the BT_carkit, it worked like a charm. If there isn't a patch available for the unlocked version yet, sounds like you might have to wait until one is...

-LOD
Old 03-20-2005, 09:54 AM
6th Gear

Well supposedly they built the patch in with the unlocked versions, because if you have a "patched" treo 650, and have to do a hard reset, then you will have to re-patch the phone to get it to work again. Everything works well (of course no signal strength), it just won't stay connected.
Old 03-20-2005, 04:49 PM
Cruisin'

Has anyone successfully used the 650 with Rogers Wireless in Canada? The Palmone site doesn't have a HFL update for the Rogers 650.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:45 PM
Advanced

i had a Sony Ericsson T610 that worked perfectly with a TL that Acura PR let me borrow for a week last August... I bought my own TL about two weeks ago and now I have a Treo 650 (Bought it before I got the car) and everything works pretty solidly... sometimes I can't get it to "transfer"... and people claim that they can't hear me very clearly/loudly.... but for the most part it works... and the phone saves me from having to carry my Clie and my cell phone anymore.... so far everything works great... I DO wish the signal and battery were displayed like my Sony.. but what can you do... Sony is Sony and they make some of the smartest electronic equipment out there

BTW mine is an Unlocked GSM with T-moblie service
Old 03-29-2005, 04:49 PM
Advanced

I had posted a question about the Treo 650, and wanted to make sure I add my experiences in here.

I bought a Treo, and through many reboots/resets over a couple day period, I exchanged it for another one.

Since then no issues.

With the TL it did get confused cause I received a call right as I turned the ignition, but today on my way home from work I had an hour long phone meeting, and everything worked flawless. Sound quality was a better than T637, and everything was cool.

I haven't had any issues, works as it should.

Cingular GSM here...with 1.04 CNG & Car Updater.

Quick Reply: Treo 650 (Good news now?... start from Page 3.)