Treo 650 Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 08:08 PM
Sec's Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Treo 650 Bluetooth

So I just got my TL, and I paired my Treo with HFL. I find it interesting that if I use the dial command, everything is fine, but if I use the call command, my Treo reboots.

Treo 650 Sprint with version 1.13 software. Anyone else having this problem?

Let me know please!
Old 03-11-2006, 09:29 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the Treo 650 with Sprint but never had this problem. Try adding to the phonebook and dilaing from there. Thats what Ive always done.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:35 PM
Currently at 50,546 miles

I had the treo reboot, but I don't know if I used the Dial or Call command... also, does anyone have the battery (or voicemail) display show up on their TL? all I get is the signal strength.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:56 AM
Doctor Sarcasm

Ive got battery and signal strength. Sprint treo 650
Old 03-12-2006, 11:34 AM
Sec's Expert

Battery Too

Originally Posted by xtin
Ive got battery and signal strength. Sprint treo 650

How did you manage battery strength? Mine does not display, and HFL website says it doesn't work. Please share your secret. I would love to see that too.

Steve
Old 03-12-2006, 12:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Sprint Treo 650 with v1.13 works great for me.... no problems... no rebooting.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:52 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by streese
So I just got my TL, and I paired my Treo with HFL. I find it interesting that if I use the dial command, everything is fine, but if I use the call command, my Treo reboots.

Let me know please!
I have the same problem on my 650 - its a Cingular using Treo650-1.17-CNG software (so the v1.17 level). Its not all the time (its like the first time it reboots and the second it doesn't). There's a pattern but not sure what the pattern is yet.

Odd because of how flawlessly the RAZR worked. I know its the same but completely different but you get used to not thinking about it.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:47 PM
Burning Brakes

I'd say there is something wrong with your phone or you have a bad app installed. Many bad apps out there that cause phone instability.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:27 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

How did you manage battery strength? Mine does not display, and HFL website says it doesn't work. Please share your secret. I would love to see that too.

Steve
I have no idea? I have signal strength on the left and battery on the right
Old 03-13-2006, 06:01 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The bluetooth implementation on the Treos is flaky as hell. It's part of the reason I dumped mine and got a Cingular 2124 smartphone. During the time I had my Treo 650 on Sprint it would work fine for weeks and then reboot daily for no reason. I always had the best luck when I dialed from the Treo itself and if the HFL didn't pick it up right away, I do the transfer thing via the HFL.

Joe
Old 03-14-2006, 09:50 AM
Racer

I use an unlocked treo 650 GSM on Cingular. I just updated with the latest firmware - 1.71 and software - 1.20 ENA update from Palm. My treo works perfectly with my TL... pairs automatically every time I am in the car. Signal Strength is available on MID but Battery meter is not displayed. Caller ID works...
Old 03-14-2006, 10:44 AM
Currently at 50,546 miles

Hmm.. maybe I don't see the battery because I have an old 650.. one of the first ones out there... even upgrading to 1.13a didn't help. Oh well, it works fine 95% of the time, so that's ok with me.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:44 PM
Cruisin'

treo 650 headache!

The last few weeks I have been having real trouble with my Treo 650 no picking up the call when I initiate from the HFL. It says it is dailing but the phone is not dailing, then I cancel the call, say dial via the HFL and it goes. Before this I had absolutely no problem with the phone. Any ideas? I have updated the latest firmware.....
Old 03-16-2006, 07:44 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by rylwlf
The last few weeks I have been having real trouble with my Treo 650 no picking up the call when I initiate from the HFL. It says it is dailing but the phone is not dailing, then I cancel the call, say dial via the HFL and it goes. Before this I had absolutely no problem with the phone. Any ideas? I have updated the latest firmware.....
rylwlf,

Try to delete the paring from the phone and the TL, soft reset the treo, and pair the phone once again. That could solve the problem.

Head on over to treocentral and you should be able to find a lot of info there...
Old 03-16-2006, 03:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rylwlf
What carrier? They are all different.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:48 PM
Cruisin'

The old AT&T Wireless that is now Cingular. I will try the repairing route. I've just been stumped though because it happened all of the sudden. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:04 PM
Intermediate

Me to!

Let me know please!

I have had my Treo for several months with no problems at all. It has been great!! However, in the past few weeks it will reboot with either the "call" or "dial" command. I can not figure a pattern or a reason for this. I make sure the car "sees" the phone before any command but it then looses the connection once the treo shuts down. I think it is strange that it would start doing this all of a sudden with no previous issues. Can you go somewhere to have the treo software updated?
Old 03-22-2006, 06:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by the4chews
I have had my Treo for several months with no problems at all. It has been great!! However, in the past few weeks it will reboot with either the "call" or "dial" command. I can not figure a pattern or a reason for this. I make sure the car "sees" the phone before any command but it then looses the connection once the treo shuts down. I think it is strange that it would start doing this all of a sudden with no previous issues. Can you go somewhere to have the treo software updated?
Have you installed any new apps on your phone? Poorly written apps will very often make your phone unstable.

You update the firmware on your phone yourself using your computer and your sync cable. Go to Palm's web site to download the latest firmware for your phone/carrier
Old 03-23-2006, 07:30 PM
Racer

Let me know please!

My treo 650 (Cingular) reboots if I look at it the wrong way. I love it, but it is a piece of crap.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ibeplato
My treo 650 (Cingular) reboots if I look at it the wrong way. I love it, but it is a piece of crap.
Stop looking at it then!
Old 03-24-2006, 11:46 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ibeplato
Call Cingular and unlock the treo and update with the Unlocked GSM Version 1.20 ENA.. that could possibly solve your problems...
Old 04-02-2006, 10:30 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by TailsToo
I had the treo reboot, but I don't know if I used the Dial or Call command... also, does anyone have the battery (or voicemail) display show up on their TL? all I get is the signal strength.
I've got a Cingular 650, but only get signal strength. I'm just starting to investigate the problems I'm having (only got the car Friday night), but so far the Treo reboots just about any time I try to do anything over the HFL (add to phone book, dial, etc).

Originally Posted by cullal
Call Cingular and unlock the treo and update with the Unlocked GSM Version 1.20 ENA.. that could possibly solve your problems...
Does Cingular do the unlock, or can you get it done anywhere? Same with the software ... would Cingular provide it? I wouldn't think they'd be too keen on having unlocked phones running around, so they probably wouldn't cooperate with this plan of action, right?
Old 04-03-2006, 11:21 AM
Cruisin'

2004 RRP/Ebony/NAVI/6MT here with the Sprint PCS Treo 650 1.13a update. Bluetooth on this phone is a crap shoot. Actually the phone itself is a crap shoot. It can reboot just because I get an SMS message. Running the diagnostic check (#337dial) shows me the offending application is PHONE.

I don't have pairing trouble, but i do have the problem where it screeches when making the first call when paired. Occasionally, I will lose the pairing when driving and have to yell to the caller to hold on. It comes back after about 15 to 30 seconds. I get signal strength in the MID. I don't recall ever seeing battery. I'd love to be able to transfer the phonebook, or save CID info to the internal phonebook.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:59 PM
Sec's Expert

Originally Posted by batmacura
2004 RRP/Ebony/NAVI/6MT here with the Sprint PCS Treo 650 1.13a update. Bluetooth on this phone is a crap shoot. Actually the phone itself is a crap shoot. It can reboot just because I get an SMS message. Running the diagnostic check (#337dial) shows me the offending application is PHONE.

I don't have pairing trouble, but i do have the problem where it screeches when making the first call when paired. Occasionally, I will lose the pairing when driving and have to yell to the caller to hold on. It comes back after about 15 to 30 seconds. I get signal strength in the MID. I don't recall ever seeing battery. I'd love to be able to transfer the phonebook, or save CID info to the internal phonebook.

My first call after I get in cuts off from HFL. Hit the button and say "tranfer" and it comes back quickly.

Hope it helps.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:51 PM
100k miles club

Originally Posted by cullal
you can't simply unlock the phone and use the unlock firmware. you would still have to use the cingular update. you would still have to flash the firmware in order to use the unlocked patch. there's a thread in treocentral.com that shows you how to do it but it was more headache for me so i ignored it.

Originally Posted by Rocket_Cowboy
Does Cingular do the unlock, or can you get it done anywhere? Same with the software ... would Cingular provide it? I wouldn't think they'd be too keen on having unlocked phones running around, so they probably wouldn't cooperate with this plan of action, right?
if you've been in good standing for 90 days, you can call cingular. give them a reason like you're travelling out the country and you need your phone unlocked coz only local service works there. they'll give you a code to enter based on your IMEI and that's it

my cingular treo is unlocked and updated to latest patch (cingular) and still gives me problems. i don't have cingular anymore, it's with t-mobile. my signal on the MID displays "RM" the phone pairs great if someone calls. now if i initiate the call that's another story

i've given up and downgraded to a sidekick2. no bluetooth, no problem with TL though
Old 04-03-2006, 06:28 PM
Animal Whisperer

Out of curiosity, anyone else w/a newer Sprint 650 who gets both the strength & battery indicators to show? I've been on the fence for a while now since getting my ride as far as upgrading the phone is concerned. Rumor has it a new Treo is on the horizon and Sprint called shotgun on it (Palm based vs. Winbased), so I'm holding out, but barely... If I can get one that just works (no screeching, etc), that would just be perfect.

? for xtin... Have you had ANY of the mentioned problems with your phone at all?

Rey :)
Old 04-03-2006, 09:17 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

Originally Posted by stingrey
Out of curiosity, anyone else w/a newer Sprint 650 who gets both the strength & battery indicators to show? I've been on the fence for a while now since getting my ride as far as upgrading the phone is concerned. Rumor has it a new Treo is on the horizon and Sprint called shotgun on it (Palm based vs. Winbased), so I'm holding out, but barely... If I can get one that just works (no screeching, etc), that would just be perfect.

? for xtin... Have you had ANY of the mentioned problems with your phone at all?

Rey
I occasionally get the screech and only with long distance numbers, for some reason, but I always show signal and battery strength. Had a reboot once when I was first pairing but Im 100% happy with it. Im not sure the firmware I have but I havent updated ever. Maybe its better to keep the older versions. If its not broke, dont fix it???

Old 04-04-2006, 06:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stingrey

Rey
Rumor is that Sprint will have the 700p (Palm) within the next month. Only real big changes are EV-DO radio and a 1.3MP camera. I'm happy with the 1xRTT data speeds on my Treo, and don't take many pictures, so I don't see an upgrade to my Sprint Treo 650 in the future.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:11 PM
Advanced

Let me know please!
I tried that and mine rebooted also, but if you use Dial it works.. almost like they didnt program the call command or goofed.. i have a sprint with 1.13 software.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:01 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by HiTEC
Rumor is that Sprint will have the 700p (Palm) within the next month. Only real big changes are EV-DO radio and a 1.3MP camera. I'm happy with the 1xRTT data speeds on my Treo, and don't take many pictures, so I don't see an upgrade to my Sprint Treo 650 in the future.
It's no rumor. Sprint will have a version of the Windoze Mobile based Treo 700 very soon.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DMZ
It's no rumor. Sprint will have a version of the Windoze Mobile based Treo 700 very soon.

Don't worry I read the same forums and news as you. In my book it's a rumor until there is an "official" press release from Sprint PCS, which to my knowledge has not taken place yet. Yes, supposed internal docs have been leaked on the internet about the 700p, but still nothing official from Sprint. As far as the Windoze version goes, VZW has an exclusive on the 700W until June, and I've never read or heard anything remotely promising about the 700W coming to Sprint besides people chatting on forums about they supposedly talked to some friends, brothers cousin who works at a Sprint store that says so.

ru·mor Audio pronunciation of "rumor" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (rmr)
n.
1. A piece of unverified information of uncertain origin usually spread by word of mouth.
2. Unverified information received from another; hearsay.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:35 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally Posted by HiTEC
Don't worry I read the same forums and news as you. In my book it's a rumor until there is an "official" press release from Sprint PCS, which to my knowledge has not taken place yet. Yes, supposed internal docs have been leaked on the internet about the 700p, but still nothing official from Sprint. As far as the Windoze version goes, VZW has an exclusive on the 700W until June, and I've never read or heard anything remotely promising about the 700W coming to Sprint besides people chatting on forums about they supposedly talked to some friends, brothers cousin who works at a Sprint store that says so.

ru·mor Audio pronunciation of "rumor" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (rmr)
n.
1. A piece of unverified information of uncertain origin usually spread by word of mouth.
2. Unverified information received from another; hearsay.
My info is NOT hearsay. It came DIRECTLY from the Sprint regional managers who handle the Radio Shack portion of the bizniz with whom I personally interacted with just last week. Whether its release is May or June remainds to be seen, but they assured me that THERE IS a Windoze based Sprint Treo 700P just around the corner.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:45 AM
Doctor Sarcasm

Originally Posted by DMZ
My info is NOT hearsay. It came DIRECTLY from the Sprint regional managers who handle the Radio Shack portion of the bizniz with whom I personally interacted with just last week. Whether its release is May or June remainds to be seen, but they assured me that THERE IS a Windoze based Sprint Treo 700P just around the corner.
Treo 700P = Palm based
Treo 700W =Windows based.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:14 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally Posted by xtin
Treo 700P = Palm based
Treo 700W =Windows based.
I was told the 'P' designation was to differentiate it from the Verizon version. I have an Audiovox XV6600 from Verizon while there was a PPC6600 from Sprint which was the exact same phone, both Windoze Mobile 2003 Based. Now there's an XV6700 from Verizon and a PPC6700 from Sprint, exact same phones both with Windoze Mobile 5 except the Verizon one is black. The Treo 650 is not going away any time soon and I highly doubt any carrier would release a 2nd Treo simultaneuosly with the same operating system.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Hate to say this DMZ, but I think you're wrong.

Yes there is a new phone "rumored" to be out from Sprint, but it's also rumored to be the Palm based 700P. Given the fact the Windows phone is designated a "W" for Windows, it would be a good assumption that the "P" = Palm. This is what all the latest news in the cell world is point to this as well.

If you would like to read some articles and information this is one of the best most detailed writeups I've seen
700P info at Treonauts
Old 04-07-2006, 05:42 PM
Cruisin'

i have a newer sprint treo 650. i dont have the prob using the call or dial commands but i do get a screeching sound when i make a call right before it starts ringing. btw, anyone know how to find out what version software ur treo has ?
Old 04-08-2006, 11:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by inspecta83
i have a newer sprint treo 650. i dont have the prob using the call or dial commands but i do get a screeching sound when i make a call right before it starts ringing. btw, anyone know how to find out what version software ur treo has ?
In the phone menu, hit the option button (top right of the 5-way) and go to options, then select phone info.

The most current firmware should say: 1.13a-SPNT
Old 04-10-2006, 05:55 PM
Cruisin'

thanks for the info. i have version 1.12a. should i bother updating to 1.13a? if so, how do i and what are the differences between the newer software and what i already have? im only curious b/c i finally got my treo to work fine w/o rebooting and i dont want to do anything to screw it up. thanx
Old 04-10-2006, 06:33 PM
Cruisin'

sorry. i just answered my own quesitons.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:20 PM
Burning Brakes

1.12a to 1.13a is a very minor upgrade. The biggest thing you will notice is the new Yellow Sprint logo's at phone power on and off. There were no upgrades to the bluetooth stack or anything major. Since 1.12a already includes the E911 updater the only change according to the Palm site is:

-Improves memory handling when using background applications such as GoodLink

Quick Reply: Treo 650 Bluetooth