TranceAddicts installation = Frustrating !

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 10:21 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
TranceAddicts installation = Frustrating !

My Setup :

Massive Audio RK6 components

Sundown Sax 100.4 Amp (4 Channel)

AudioControl LC-8 Processor ***Am gonna change to an JBL MS8*** (Just

wanted to hear my setup)

Second Skin Damplifier Pro (Sound Deadner)

Ok here's how it went down . I tried installing myself and didnt know how to pull out the window connector (green piece in the door panel) tried many times but couldnt get it to snap open and didnt want to break it . And was still a little confused with what wires to to connect and splice ,etc . So I gave up and said ,I'll try someone on craigslist to install it for cheap !

Found a guy that would install it . (Note this is in Baltimore city/projects) Last night we met up and tried installing but the components were too big to fit in the speaker hole panel . And I also forgot the wooden rings (spacers) to mount them . Since they were too big diameter . It would have problems with the window glass coming down .

Today we met up again and he had to dremmel the door panel by the speaker hole in order to fit . His dremmel tool didnt work too good and did some ghetto ass job Ripped some sheet metal off with some pliers . By then ,I said wtf are you doing ? He said its gonna get covered anyways so no biggie . I said alright . We got it through with the spacers and he drilled it to the metal door panel .

*****This is where he went about on his way*****

Next he disagree's that the crossovers that came wt components were useless ? Since I am running through with my amp ? Then he says my aftermarket amp is useless too cause I dont have a sub ? I told him I wanted to run the components wt Sundown Sax 100.4 amp and he told me its not worth it ,if your running your stock head unit ? I disagreed and told him this is how I wanted and he told me trust me ....they are gonna sound the same running off your stock amp . Well anyways long story short he didnt want to deaden the door cause he said its not gonna make a difference maybe alil . And also he said the 4ch amp is useless cause I dont have an sub . I told him to bridge and run the front components off the sundown sax amp and run the rears off stock . He said he did and the sound ,sounds worst than before . The stock sounded much better but I noticed the highs tweeter are louder but overall sound stock sounds better . Now I dont think he bridged it right he used an LOC that I had to buy again since he said I cant run the LC8's . Note he also said if I use the LC8's I have to rewire to every speaker which he said was pointless . (I think he was just too lazy to do it the way I wanted)

Well I think its just some wiring setup which I can fix . And I think the crossovers that came wt components I can use . Can someone please give me advice on this . This will be the last time I do service on Craigslist ....I know what was I thinking
Old 05-29-2011, 11:35 PM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

Received 187 Likes on 147 Posts
Wow!! you got FUKED!!! heres my advise. Do everything YOU wanted to do as your right in every one and dont ever do cl for this.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:42 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by InFaMouSLink
Wow!! you got FUKED!!! heres my advise. Do everything YOU wanted to do as your right in every one and dont ever do cl for this.
^ Im gonna mess around with it today . Just wondering if I need anything else for my setup ? I didnt have an amp kit so I had to purchase from him and can I run factory wires for this ? If so ,do I need to rewire every speaker ? I was told all I need is the LOC's with my setup . I feel dumb asking these questions as it probably gets answered alot . Couldnt find a search with my type of setup
Old 05-30-2011, 10:48 AM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

Received 187 Likes on 147 Posts
No LOC needed since your running a processor. it takes wiring everything up from factory amp to processor and then to speakers..
Honestly, if you couldn't disconnect the green connector from your door, you shouldn't do your own music. Pay for a professional or get someone you can trust not a random guy from cl
Old 05-30-2011, 11:07 AM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
take it a shop dude
Old 05-30-2011, 12:03 PM
Instructor

No LOC needed ,right I figured since I had LC8 . ^ Wiring everything thats wired from the factory amp to the processor . Sounds easy . So I just basically need to rewire some wires to the processor and use my crossovers that came with the components and wire the components n tweets to that .

My cousin knows how to install a bit . So he's helping me wt install . I noticed my tweeters seem like its popping ...? the guy placed them on my door panels where he cut the plastic piece and placed them in . He did not place them in right Also the right side seems to be coming up a bit . I guess its from the plastic thats making that sound .
Old 07-05-2011, 07:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 167 Likes on 140 Posts
I also just purchased an LC8 a bit confused as im not sure if I take the signal from the head unit or after factory AMP.

How did you wire the LC8 input? Signal from factory amp or HU?
Old 07-05-2011, 10:51 AM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by TranceAddict
No LOC needed ,right I figured since I had LC8 . ^ Wiring everything thats wired from the factory amp to the processor . Sounds easy . So I just basically need to rewire some wires to the processor and use my crossovers that came with the components and wire the components n tweets to that .

My cousin knows how to install a bit . So he's helping me wt install . I noticed my tweeters seem like its popping ...? the guy placed them on my door panels where he cut the plastic piece and placed them in . He did not place them in right Also the right side seems to be coming up a bit . I guess its from the plastic thats making that sound .
Sorry to hear this man. Just save up and do an install correctly the first time so you're not losing money in the long run. I know you're not all that happy with the RK6's either so you should have some time to save and install. What scares me is that you said he installed the tweeters in the door panel? WTF? why? There's a dedicated off-axis spot in the dash. Post up some pics of what he did and the wiring, etc and maybe we can help you with your questions before and during your install.

I've noticed my tweeters kind of making a very light popping/crackling sound also. No way in hell should they be blown as they haven't been turned up that loud. I just don't like the set anymore because even driving at night with the windows up on volume 1 or 2...they are still a little too loud. It's like the stock volume on 5-6 so I usually just have to turn it all the way off when I want to carry a convo at all. VERY annoying. They really fucked up with the x-over in this set. Supposedly they are coming out with a new CK-stage 5 set that has an updated x-over to fix the tweeter problem. There's a few guys over on DIYMA that swear by the CK-mids and say they are better than the Peerless, etc that they've had. Kinda pissed I went with this set but I'm hoping JDA's ID CXS's will blow my mind.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:42 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I wonder if the tweeters are getting a full range signal or at least too low of a crossover point...

Sounds like that dude screwed your car up. Why not just put the tweeters in the dash? Installs are super easy. You should have given it a shot first and if you failed, taken it to a shop. People who have never done it before are intimidated by it but once you're in there you'll see how easy it is. Plus, no one is going to care about your car as much as you.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by flyromeo3
I also just purchased an LC8 a bit confused as im not sure if I take the signal from the head unit or after factory AMP.

How did you wire the LC8 input? Signal from factory amp or HU?
Well I completely took the factory amp out and ran the original amp inputs spliced and ran new speaker wires to the LC8 . Then RCA cables are ran from the LC8's to the aftermarket amp . From the aftermarket amp outputs speaker wires are ran into the factory amp outputs .

You could go about in a different route . By keeping the factory amp
Old 07-05-2011, 09:43 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey
Sorry to hear this man. Just save up and do an install correctly the first time so you're not losing money in the long run. I know you're not all that happy with the RK6's either so you should have some time to save and install. What scares me is that you said he installed the tweeters in the door panel? WTF? why? There's a dedicated off-axis spot in the dash. Post up some pics of what he did and the wiring, etc and maybe we can help you with your questions before and during your install.

I've noticed my tweeters kind of making a very light popping/crackling sound also. No way in hell should they be blown as they haven't been turned up that loud. I just don't like the set anymore because even driving at night with the windows up on volume 1 or 2...they are still a little too loud. It's like the stock volume on 5-6 so I usually just have to turn it all the way off when I want to carry a convo at all. VERY annoying. They really fucked up with the x-over in this set. Supposedly they are coming out with a new CK-stage 5 set that has an updated x-over to fix the tweeter problem. There's a few guys over on DIYMA that swear by the CK-mids and say they are better than the Peerless, etc that they've had. Kinda pissed I went with this set but I'm hoping JDA's ID CXS's will blow my mind.

^ He cut the door panel with the dremel tool and you can see the edges ....not professional at all . And also the wooden mounts broke in half on the other side (I temporary used damplifier pro deadner to hold it up in place ) I just purchased another set . I'll mount them sometimes this week .

You cant really tell by those pics for the tweeters but you can see them sticking out abit the other side looks worse .
Old 07-05-2011, 09:47 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by I hate cars
I wonder if the tweeters are getting a full range signal or at least too low of a crossover point...

Sounds like that dude screwed your car up. Why not just put the tweeters in the dash? Installs are super easy. You should have given it a shot first and if you failed, taken it to a shop. People who have never done it before are intimidated by it but once you're in there you'll see how easy it is. Plus, no one is going to care about your car as much as you.
Yeah ...Im gonna have to get some custom fiber glass done by the tweeters definitley . If I can find a pair of used door panels for cheap ,I'll probably install them in the dash so it looks stock .
Old 07-06-2011, 09:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 167 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by TranceAddict
Well I completely took the factory amp out and ran the original amp inputs spliced and ran new speaker wires to the LC8 . Then RCA cables are ran from the LC8's to the aftermarket amp . From the aftermarket amp outputs speaker wires are ran into the factory amp outputs .

You could go about in a different route . By keeping the factory amp

I was thinking of keeping the factory amp for my center channel only. Since down the road im going to do the navi conversion....I read its best to keep the center channel on factory amp if you have navi.. so I guess im planning ahead.

I guess with the LC8 you have the option of using the wires pre or post amp. Even their installation instructions were a bit confusing.
Thanks for the clarification.