Trailer Wiring Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 09:44 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer Wiring Advice Please

2005 Acura TL. I love it!

I have a small boat and the hidden hitch installed. I need to be able to pull the boat in just a couple of weeks. I've searched. I've called. I am having no luck with getting a trailer wiring harness installed. Please make a recommendation.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:10 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jim in atl
2005 Acura TL. I love it!

I have a small boat and the hidden hitch installed. I need to be able to pull the boat in just a couple of weeks. I've searched. I've called. I am having no luck with getting a trailer wiring harness installed. Please make a recommendation.
it. I did and this what I came up with.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...-8&sa=N&tab=wi

you can tap into rear lights. I would like this.
http://www.western-towing.co.uk/acat...ler_wiring.gif

http://www.etrailer.com/faq_wiring.aspx
Old 05-11-2009, 10:20 PM
10th Gear

Very nice.

I have a "four wire" plug on the boat trailer rather than the plug in this diagram.

I have some additional questions. Is there a standard wiring harness to purchase for this car? Is there a plug for that harness located in the trunk? I know there is for other models. It appears there is not for this TL.

If there is no "plug" ready for a wiring harness, where is the appropriate place to "tap" into the lights? Is there a location in the existing car wiring harness where the appropriate wiring for the key lights is located?

I need the brakes and the turn signals.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:35 PM
Instructor

[QUOTE=jim in atl;10888406]Very nice.

I have a "four wire" plug on the boat trailer rather than the plug in this diagram.

I have some additional questions. Is there a standard wiring harness to purchase for this car?
no there is not one, but you could look into mdx. more then likely should work on TL.

Is there a plug for that harness located in the trunk? I know there is for other models. It appears there is not for this TL.
no there is no plug, not to my knowledge.

If there is no "plug" ready for a wiring harness, where is the appropriate place to "tap" into the lights? Is there a location in the existing car wiring harness where the appropriate wiring for the key lights is located?
there are plastic tubing for water drain. it is located on each side of the rear fender. I will se if I can find a pic for you.

you could run wires throught that tubing and tap inro brakes and signals.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:48 PM
Instructor

ok found those pics.

and

those tubes could be used to run your wires outside.... there might be a ruber plug. but not sure on that. another solution would be to drill....
Old 05-11-2009, 11:00 PM
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Those pipes are drain pipes for the moonroof. It would be better to just fish them through those white plastic pieces as they are air vents
Old 05-11-2009, 11:07 PM
Instructor

here is a 4 wire how to...http://www.flickr.com/photos/lasertrimguy/142021695/

you will also need one of this module for proper operation http://www.flickr.com/photos/lasertrimguy/3408572944/

http://www.etrailer.com/products.asp...make=Acura&h=e

http://www.etrailer.com/c-ELEBF.htm
Old 05-11-2009, 11:08 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fulani has a TL
Those pipes are drain pipes for the moonroof. It would be better to just fish them through those white plastic pieces as they are air vents
you are correct sir.... thank you. I forgot all about those....
Old 05-12-2009, 06:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
Just an FYI-The TL is not designed for towing, so if the vehicle is under warranty, better remove the hitch/wiring before any dealer service, or warranty will be kaput.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:33 PM
10th Gear

Hi, what I really need is how to tap into the wires. Hopefully that is in the links. I am happy to have the wire come out the trunk during the rare occasion that I am towing.

My car is over 50,000 miles. I don't think I can hurt the warrentee, correct?
Old 05-12-2009, 08:43 PM
10th Gear

This is really helpful. I am wondering where exactly to cut into the existing wires. Your photos of the trunk show how to get to the wires.

I guess running wires isn't really enough. Reading the links it is obvious these need to be powered lights.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:32 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jim in atl
This is really helpful. I am wondering where exactly to cut into the existing wires. Your photos of the trunk show how to get to the wires.

I guess running wires isn't really enough. Reading the links it is obvious these need to be powered lights.
Jim,

you do need a module to power those lights. were to cut I really can not help. but here is a clue.

get a DVM (digital volt meter) turn on your light's start probing the wires by white plastic covers facing rear bumper. once you see 12 volts, you found running lights. now do the same for turn signal, you can turn emergency on. for break, have someone step on a pedal.

if this sounds to complicated, then I strongly sugest that you take it to a profesional and let them do it.

if you mess it up, you have to work out $$$ to fix it. if they screw it up they are responsible.

PS, as far as the warranty. just to be on the safe side, I would check it with local dealer.

good luck to you.