Too Confusing! Need Help - Ipod Interface Experts Please Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 05:55 PM
Need More HP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Post Too Confusing! Need Help - Ipod Interface Experts Please Help!!

Okay,
I have read hours and hours of posts on which is better.

First,
I just took out the MusicLink that I had for 6 months. Very frustrating interface.

Now, here come the questions, hopefully once and for all as I need to get another ipod in the TL asap:

I have DVD with the audio going to a fm modulator. I would like to get rid of the modulator and use a direct RCA input source.

1. blitzsafe, does it have rca inputs? can I keep xm? do I just go to CD-C for the ipod then? if so, how do I get the rca input to function for dvd?

1a. What exactly are the parts I need?

1b. Do I need a y-adapter to keep xm and get ipod interface keeping in mind the dvd rca inputs?

1c. I need a longer ipod cable as I keep my ipod in the center console behind the cupholder.

1d. Do any of the steering wheel functions work?

1e. Does it need a power source?

Could someone PLEASE, answer the above questions and point me where to buy them ? There is so much conflicting info out there I don't know where to turn anymore on this.

thanks so much...
Old 07-25-2006, 06:07 PM
Need More HP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I forgot, the usa-spec, looking for the same answers for this interface as well as the blitzsafe.

btw, I have a 04 TL 6mt w/navi..

thanks...
Old 07-25-2006, 06:18 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1. blitzsafe, does it have rca inputs? can I keep xm? do I just go to CD-C for the ipod then? if so, how do I get the rca input to function for dvd?
No RCA inputs.....except on dmx model

just the adapter, screwdriver, patience

1b. Do I need a y-adapter to keep xm and get ipod interface keeping in mind the dvd rca inputs?
if you get the vx.2 version it retains xm without the need for a Y cable

1c. I need a longer ipod cable as I keep my ipod in the center console behind the cupholder.
Blitzsafe has a pretty long cable.......alittle longer than the USAspec

Volume

No

Could someone PLEASE, answer the above questions and point me where to buy them ? There is so much conflicting info out there I don't know where to turn anymore on this.
discountcaraudio.com

USAspec has RCA inputs, cable is alittle shorter than Blitzsafe, has a mode that you can use track change on steering wheel, you will need a Y cable to retain XM, still no need for power source

But remember if you want a solution that will power your ipod and if you want to add the DVD conversion later on the USAspec is the only one of the two that will allow this

Old 07-25-2006, 07:05 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Blitzsafe has two common units: One provides aux-in (HON/AUX DMX V.2X) and another that will provide iPod support (HON/M-Link V.2X). Its either iPod support or aux. The USA Spec PA11-HON2 will provide both iPod support plus an aux-in.

Blitzsafe also has a third interface called the UII Universal iPod Interface. It requires an aux input interface. This will allow you to add iPod integration to PIE X3 for instance.

I personally would go with the USA Spec since it will give you the iPod integration and an extra aux input to add another media device in the future. Since you have an '04, you shouldn't run into the current firmware issues that you read about for some '05-'06 TLs. I hear the installation is pretty easy as well.

Popular Online Stores
logjam
enfig
myradiostore
discountcarstereo
Old 07-25-2006, 07:16 PM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
Agree with lembowski- I have the M-link V.2x, and it works well (I have an 06 with Navi). You have to use the iPod itself to select songs, artists, etc, but the volume controls on the steering wheel work- it's plug and play. I got mine for $92 with shipping included from enfigcarstereo.com (79.99 w/o shipping). The cord it comes with is 6 feet, long enough. I accessed the back of the steroe by removing the lower dash panel and the driver side console panel- it took ~ 1.5 hours to do, but I didn't have directions, so some time was spent figuring out how to access the radio.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:10 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the M-link V.2x installed today and am extremely impressed with the sound quality ('04 w/Nav). Press the CD button twice to choose the iPod - all other audio buttons work as normal. I have the cable going through the top cubby in the console so everything can be well hidden. Well worth the $.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:11 PM
Intermediate

For the USA SPEC:

RCA jacks: Yes. I have never used them, however.
XM: Yes, it works fine for me. I used the y-cable
CDC: Yes, select CDC as your source and it works fine.
For RCA: One of the USA SPEC DIP switches lets you use the RCA jacks. So, set the DIP switches correctly and you should be fine.

1) USA SPEC
2) Y-Cable (only if you use SM)
3) RCA extender cable, if your DVD cable isn't long enough

Yes

Yes, track up and track down work. Also, the iPod stops and starts when you turn off the car.

No, it's powered off of the radio.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:54 PM
Instructor

So guys,

Is there any adapter where we can choose the songs from the stock cd player? I did the peterubers ipod mods, after a while, it does bother me because I have to use my ipod to select the songs I want to listen to. Thx.