Is it time to modernize the DVD-A GUI ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 06:15 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Is it time to modernize the DVD-A GUI ???

Got a Win8 laptop and access to Visual Studio 2012 on a work PC so I'm thinking it might be time to update the GUI. Not planning on changing much, just bringing it up to .net 4 and maybe adding multichannel support. The open source utils I used (dvda-author) was updated to be able to build DVD-As with 6 channel wavs. I've been playing with it and it's a bit buggy but I have managed to rip some CDs, run them through the Adobinizer (2.0 to 5.1 Audio Converter ), create an ISO using the GUI, and then burn a disk that [sort of] plays in the car.

So, let me know who's interested and your thoughts on the ideas below. No promises, just sensing interest at this point in time.

Goals/Thoughts:
  • Create a reasonably reliable tool on Win7 and 8
  • Yank out the mp3->wav conversion feature. Was always buggy for many and mp3s as a basis for DVD-A is silly. Replace with the ability to optionally "Adobinize" WAV files while building disks, or just package the Adobinizer with the GUI. I love what the "Small Club" processing does. Sad truth is for regular stereo tracks nothing beats the density (everything in the cloud) and ease of my Android hooked up to the HU. But for 5.1 fun, the Adobinzer is still making me smile and is the only reason I really burn disks anymore. (If you like Foo Fighters then you need to hear Wasting Light run through the Small Club)
  • Support for six channel files also opens up the possibility to rip DVD-V concerts to 6ch WAV (you're on your own) and then make DVD-As of them for in the car. We could always do that but needed tools like Cirlinca to master the disk. Perhaps not anymore.
Issues I'm running into making disks that [sort of] play in the car.
  • You can not mix 2 channel and 6 channel tracks in the same group. Not even going to try and address it.
  • Problems with disks with multiple groups with different number of channels. (like group 1 is 6 channel and group 2 is 2 channel) Does anyone even care about multiple groups anyway??? Play correctly on a sofware player but the car get's lost on them.
  • Sometimes a loud click at the end of the group (even with different burners and burner software). This one sucks but may no be something that can be fixed. I don't hear it using software players.
  • Other than that they're fine. Single group disks play just fine (except the click at the very end)

Yep...only an old geek like me would think of breathing life into a dead format. But hoping to keep the old '05 for quite a bit more years
The following 3 users liked this post by Adobeman:
alexb92 (01-30-2013), dwb993 (05-30-2013), Ken1997TL (01-29-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 06:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
I look forward to seeing your progress. I love the DVD-A's in my TSX wagon.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:31 PM
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
I loved your app and used it quite a bit. 99 tracks on a disc was very cool.and I actually used the mp3 to wav feature quite a bit because most of my music is in high bit rate mp3. but since I started using a USA SPEC with the iPhone I haven't made any disc's recently. Having said that I still like having music DVD's in player for those times I'm in a hurry and don't want to plug in the phone. I'd love to see it updated with new features.
btw what / where is "small club" processing.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:19 PM
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 91 Posts
I'd like to see this happen!
Old 01-30-2013, 06:38 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's a great idea! The multi-channel support is something I've been waiting/hoping for.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:24 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Originally Posted by Gregerst
btw what / where is "small club" processing.
This will explain. It's been updated since then (flows in post #8 are out of date) but the basics are still the same.
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/adobinizer-adobemans-2-0-5-1-audio-converter-dvd-594798/
Old 05-21-2013, 11:14 AM
Anthracite

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

can't wait, just got a windows7 pc last year, definitely interested in to adobinize my mp3 and enjoy them in my TL.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:48 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
I use multiple groups frequently. I don't know how many other people use that feature, but I think it's very useful for a couple of different reasons. First is, of course, if you want to put more than 99 tracks on a DVD. Second is for organizing purposes. I find it easier to keep track of what's on the DVD if I put it all into groups, especially concerts I get via tape-trading (I'll put each concert in a separate group).

The way I keep track of what's in what group is by burning a disc label using my LightScribe drive.

To be honest, I haven't used the GUI in a couple of years. I now use Cirlinca's software because it lets me burn high-rez .FLACs (24/88.2 and the like) directly to DVD-A without converting them to .WAV first. It was simply easier that way. But if you update it, I might try it out to see how it does with creating multichannel stuff. I never got around to trying that before and I had a couple of compatibility hiccups when I got a new PC a year or two ago.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:26 AM
Anthracite

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by 1995hoo
To be honest, I haven't used the GUI in a couple of years. I now use Cirlinca's software because it lets me burn high-rez .FLACs (24/88.2 and the like) directly to DVD-A without converting them to .WAV first. It was simply easier that way. But if you update it, I might try it out to see how it does with creating multichannel stuff. I never got around to trying that before and I had a couple of compatibility hiccups when I got a new PC a year or two ago.
so you're saying you just open up the dvd burning software, and have it burn songs from you computer (.mp3s i assume) on to a dvd disc in dvd-a format?

too bad you didn't have a chance to try the multichannel stuff, am always curious at what everyone thinks the differences are.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:00 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by tweeder82o
so you're saying you just open up the dvd burning software, and have it burn songs from you computer (.mp3s i assume) on to a dvd disc in dvd-a format?

too bad you didn't have a chance to try the multichannel stuff, am always curious at what everyone thinks the differences are.
I seldom use .MP3. Don't care to use a low-fidelity format. Of course, for tape-trading purposes if a concert recording is available solely in that format it's better than nothing, but most tape-traders discourage the use of .MP3 and advocate .FLAC because it preserves the original fidelity and allows the user to convert the .FLAC to whatever resolution fits his needs (or to play it directly; my Logitech Squeezebox Touch handles .FLAC without conversion). Most of the stuff on my computer is Apple Lossless (.M4A) or .WAV. I've never understood why people feel so wedded to .MP3, though I suspect a large part of it comes from the mass media's incorrectly referring to devices like the iPod as ".MP3 players." (They're not. They're not limited to that format.)

But otherwise, yeah, for the most part with the Cirlinca software I just drag the relevant files, or just the folder if appropriate, into the window and it converts everything to whatever the proper format is for me. It doesn't cooperate with Apple Lossless files. So if I want to put those on a DVD, I usually just burn them to a CD-RW as an audio CD and then re-rip that. I'm sure I could buy a converter, but I'm too cheap to do it when I have the easy workaround. The Cirlinca software does cooperate with .MP3, however (I know this from burning a concert to DVD-A when the only available copy of the concert was in .MP3).
Old 05-22-2013, 02:35 PM
Level: Noob

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
I wish there was a convenient way to port it to Mac. I can't seem to get Wine to work.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:02 PM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
Definitely interested in an update. Been using your software for quite some time now.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:55 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Subscribed for updates. I used the original tool but ran into the mentioned mp3 - wav conversion issues. Easy six channel support would be great.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I am running Win8 and cannot get it to run due to the .net 1.1 requirement. I would love an update.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:50 PM
Bella Nova

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

I as well would love to see an update. My old DVD-A library needs an all important revamping. Thanks for creating this and possibly more!
Old 06-06-2013, 11:50 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

I did some work on it back in Feb after I started this post and then kind of stalled out on it. There's still some limitations but the basics described below seem to all work for me. There's also still the issue of the loud, annoying, pop at the end of the disk. It's like WTF, rock smacking the windshield, loud when it happens. I hope to post something soon for you to all try out.

Three possible disc types:
  • 2 Channel Source Disc - This is a stereo DVD-A disc. Load up as many 2 channel WAV or mp3 tracks as you can fit and use up to 9 groups.
  • 6 Channel Source Disc - If you have pre-existing 6 channel WAV files you can add them to this type of disc. You'd get files like this if you rip DVD-V (Dolby 5.1) discs to multi-channel WAV files with something like DVD Audio Extractor. Limited to one group.
  • "Adobinzer" 2 Channel Source Disk - You put 2 channel WAV or mp3 files in and it converts them to 5.1 surround sound using the "Small Club" or "Large Club" profile. Limited to one group.