"System" In The Works!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 11:13 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Received 373 Likes on 206 Posts
Looks great, really nice work!

Praytell...you ARE going to smooth over the uneven sections of the door pods, right?

I'll just throw this out there as a suggestion, if you use a 50/50 mix of body filler and resin (w/MEKP, of course), you can make a liquid to pour over the mold, and let gravity even it out.

Looking forward to seeing more!
Old 07-08-2009, 04:39 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Six Sigma BB

Praytell...you ARE going to smooth over the uneven sections of the door pods, right?

I'll just throw this out there as a suggestion, if you use a 50/50 mix of body filler and resin (w/MEKP, of course), you can make a liquid to pour over the mold, and let gravity even it out.

who is praytell?
Old 07-08-2009, 07:49 AM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Hey Praytell... did you happen to make a mold for this pod?
Old 07-08-2009, 10:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
lol............praytell is just an expression!
Old 07-08-2009, 02:38 PM
Pro

what un-even sections?

and from the looks of my build thread you're giving me advice...why? are you implying that i have no clue as to what I'm doin? clue me in..oh mighty master you!

I can make molds...but im tooo lazy and there is way to many different dimensions of drivers to make a universal one that will look decent...maybe...u never know i may just get a hair up my ass...

-Jason
Old 07-08-2009, 05:20 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by CSWBiggs
I can make molds...but im tooo lazy and there is way to many different dimensions of drivers to make a universal one that will look decent...maybe...u never know i may just get a hair up my ass...

-Jason
you know what? i think you should get a wild hair up your ass, AND FINISH THIS DAMN THING ALREADY! this "System" in the NOT works! has been going on foreverrrrrrr!!!!

just screwing with you J, im just being a smartass!

what un-even sections?

and from the looks of my build thread you're giving me advice...why? are you implying that i have no clue as to what I'm doin? clue me in..oh mighty master you!-Jason
chill dude. so defensive, he's just trying to share some of his fabrication knowledge we all know you know what you're doingjust remember to move your fingers/hands out of the way when ripping that MDF stock, the blades on those saws can be sharp! smartass again............... sorry
Old 07-08-2009, 06:10 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

what un-even sections?
Do you want me to make a .jpeg and circle them for you?

and from the looks of my build thread you're giving me advice...why?
Because most, not all, appreciate constructive criticism. That's what it was.

are you implying that i have no clue as to what I'm doin? clue me in..oh mighty master you!
lol

Yes, that is wholly correct.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:14 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Originally Posted by jptl04
he's just trying to share some of his fabrication knowledge
Ahhhhh...I completely anticipated responses of this nature, I am glad I was not let down. Lamentably I had forgotten that in the realm of forums, post count begets any level of actual ability/experience/expertise.

Anyway, Jay - take it as you wish, it was merely constructive criticism, I'm not new to the mod/FG/custom mold game. In my travels I have welcomed all criticism as it helps me become a better modifier, I was hoping you'd take it the same.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:37 PM
Pro

please circle the problem areas...another set of eyes couldn't hurt...and if you're talkin about the uneven shades in the rattle can flat black you're seein...those would be low spots that have been filled in with body filler...and feather edged....it's not goin to be painted so i'm not goin to shoot it with poly primer for a paintable finish...i'm goin to be wrappin them on friday....key word wrapping....not painting...

i don't mind constructive criticisim...just so long as it pertain to the project at hand...

-Jason
Old 07-08-2009, 09:20 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

please circle the problem areas...another set of eyes couldn't hurt...and if you're talkin about the uneven shades in the rattle can flat black you're seein...those would be low spots that have been filled in with body filler...and feather edged....it's not goin to be painted so i'm not goin to shoot it with poly primer for a paintable finish...i'm goin to be wrappin them on friday....key word wrapping....not painting...

i don't mind constructive criticisim...just so long as it pertain to the project at hand...

-Jason
Yeah, man!!! That's the very same I was referring to. Looking forward to the results, your work is awesome, keep it up!

I'll post up some pics of some things I did in an intro thread tonight, I don't pick up my TL until next week, looking forward to doing a system myself, I'm sure I'll be shooting you some PMs about connections, haha
Old 07-08-2009, 11:33 PM
Acura drove me away too..

Received 107 Likes on 66 Posts
Yeah, man!!! That's the very same I was referring to. Looking forward to the results, your work is awesome, keep it up!

I'll post up some pics of some things I did in an intro thread tonight, I don't pick up my TL until next week, looking forward to doing a system myself, I'm sure I'll be shooting you some PMs about connections, haha
1st...

Now...
Old 07-09-2009, 02:27 AM
Bone stock tl-s

Ahhhhh...I completely anticipated responses of this nature, I am glad I was not let down.
dont mention it mr. sensitive

Lamentably I had forgotten that in the realm of forums, post count begets any level of actual ability/experience/expertise.
very true! but i never mentioned post counts in my comment, shit i only have like a little over 1000 and i joined like 4-5 years ago. i dont have any ability/experience/expertise in modding a car, just ask the members here they'll all agree, my ride is a piece of crap

dont trip man we are all friends here

sorry J, everything looks great so far pods look sweet! the SQ in that thing is gonna be something else.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:25 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Make a mold, I'll buy a pair and fab what I need too...................

till then
Old 07-09-2009, 02:37 PM
Unregistered User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i dont have any ability/experience/expertise in modding a car, just ask the members here they'll all agree, my ride is a piece of crap
^+1.

lol. yea, try telling that to anyone who clicks on your albums.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:49 PM
Engineer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
my ride is a piece of crap
my friend, are you kidding me?
Old 07-09-2009, 02:54 PM
Pro

dont mention it mr. sensitive

very true! but i never mentioned post counts in my comment, shit i only have like a little over 1000 and i joined like 4-5 years ago. i dont have any ability/experience/expertise in modding a car, just ask the members here they'll all agree, my ride is a piece of crap

dont trip man we are all friends here

sorry J, everything looks great so far pods look sweet! the SQ in that thing is gonna be something else.
hahaha...thanks!

it's not all about SQ...the angles of these drivers certainly doesn't hurt...but like i mentioned earlier...SQ cars for the most part are fairly boring to listen to...my goal...

studio quality at concert volumes...

utilizing the least amount of processing by maximizing the tonal and imaging quality with proper acoustic implementation...

-Jason

Molds...dunno if i'm gonna do them...you guys really think you'd by them?
Old 07-11-2009, 03:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CSW....you are way over due on completing this thing Your finger doesn't look bad, just suck it up and stop your whining I'm sure working on these things all day, the last thing you want to do is work on your own...but it is getting pathetic....

Are planning on coming the acurafest? Somehow I am the "audio" guy and don't know what I am doing except finding a good builder, tuners, and writing checks Hope you can makit e regardless of the fact your car won't be done...
Old 07-11-2009, 02:59 PM
Pro

Just had my upholstrey guy finish wrapping the entire portion of the lower section the door...he's a badass...i didn't have the time nor 2 fully functioning hands to finish it...

pardon the dust been alot of sanding to finish them pods....

more to come for the doors...

as for cali meet...dunno if i'm able to make it just yet...only in due time will tell...

-Jason
Old 07-11-2009, 04:40 PM
Pro

Before...

After...

Finally feels good to finish something on this car...

Lemme Know What you boys think..

-Jason
Old 07-11-2009, 04:42 PM
Burning Brakes

That does look baddass As far as All Cali...timing is definitely tight...
Old 07-15-2009, 02:49 PM
Instructor

great work. thats one thing i wish i would have done to my setup is done some custom work in the interior. its all the trunk tho :/
Old 07-15-2009, 07:30 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by DiDWorK19
great work. thats one thing i wish i would have done to my setup is done some custom work in the interior. its all the trunk tho :/
there is always time to work on your interior...

just a sneak peak of what's been goin on project wise at the shop...don't have my hands in on this one but this shit is sick!!!

6- 13.5in JL w6v'2s

-Jason
Old 07-15-2009, 11:24 PM
Instructor

http://www.darksideengineering.com/g...?g2_itemId=172

that is my current setup. i have a custom dash with a 7inch monitor and a alpine headunit. i just like your door panels so much and it just makes me want to do something new haha.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:20 PM
Pro

Got really really bored...and was just decided...I'm goin to move my tweeters for less seperation and much better aesthetics...I modeled the front half of the passenger compartment in solid works last night an found some optimal tweeter locations with proper orientation...needless to say...results were a sucess...tonality improved drastically...it improved midbass to tweeter transition drastically...imaging improved tremendously...

now to make them look cool..l

what do u guys think?

-Jason
Old 07-23-2009, 07:56 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
lookin good
Old 07-23-2009, 08:39 PM
TL owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks good
Old 07-24-2009, 12:02 AM
Bone stock tl-s

what do i think? sweet bro sweet! better than that other spot.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:55 AM
Pro

thanks for all of the positive feedback guys....hopefully...i'll finish soon...crazy outta control busy...maybe i'll finish these in record time...not 4 months like my door pods

-Jason
Old 07-24-2009, 08:46 AM
Burning Brakes

I think they look like crap just kidding Is this the last piece of the puzzle? You've finished your subs, doors, working on tweets, are you going for a three way front? A kick maybe? I also remember talk about a bit one for processing.

I know it will be sweet when finished
Old 07-27-2009, 02:06 PM
Racer

Looking good !!!
Old 07-27-2009, 02:25 PM
Racer

Nice thing about those there 18.00 if you screw them up
compared to the door panels @ 200
Old 08-06-2009, 02:25 AM
Pro

Gettin there...hard to make the time...but soon enough my friends....i'll finish this motha!

lol

-Jason
Old 08-07-2009, 02:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Yeah, yeah...whatever

Apparrently at the Huntington Beach Iasco Comp this Sat. they have one of the old school, tight as a fishes a$$ judges, he's going to be real tough on judging systems. It will interesting to see what he says. Suppose to be some real nice rides and systems, so at least that part will be good.

Glad to see you are making progress, if nothing else you are persistent and don't give up. Can't wait to check it out in person
Old 08-12-2009, 04:10 PM
Cruisin'

Enclosure design

Biggs,

I'v been reading your thread and it seems that you are the man to ask. I currently have an IDMax12d4 pushed by a JL 1000/1 and a JL 300/4 running two sets of ADS 346cs components. My problem is the subwoofer enclosure design; right now i have the IDMax in a 2.6 ft3 ported enclosure tuned to 45hz. the box is built like the front end of your bandpass enclosure. (hope you dont mind) My problem is that when the trunk is open, the bass sounds good and loud in the cabin, but when the trunk is closed it almost disappears to nothing. Has this ever happen to you? I was hoping to build an enclosure similar to yours, but the techs at Image said that it would'nt work for the IDMax; something about the Xmax being to big. Any ideas on a design would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:49 PM
TL owner

Originally Posted by TacaoBell
Biggs,

I'v been reading your thread and it seems that you are the man to ask. I currently have an IDMax12d4 pushed by a JL 1000/1 and a JL 300/4 running two sets of ADS 346cs components. My problem is the subwoofer enclosure design; right now i have the IDMax in a 2.6 ft3 ported enclosure tuned to 45hz. the box is built like the front end of your bandpass enclosure. (hope you dont mind) My problem is that when the trunk is open, the bass sounds good and loud in the cabin, but when the trunk is closed it almost disappears to nothing. Has this ever happen to you? I was hoping to build an enclosure similar to yours, but the techs at Image said that it would'nt work for the IDMax; something about the Xmax being to big. Any ideas on a design would be greatly appreciated.
That's a really high tune for some IDmax's which are a very musical sub, which i would compare to a w6v2 with a lil more low end. But from what ur saying it sounds like your having a cancelation issue
Old 08-12-2009, 08:50 PM
TL owner

Gettin there...hard to make the time...but soon enough my friends....i'll finish this motha!

lol

-Jason
Looking good, keep it up
Old 08-12-2009, 09:17 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Eiswritsat
That's a really high tune for some IDmax's which are a very musical sub, which i would compare to a w6v2 with a lil more low end. But from what ur saying it sounds like your having a cancelation issue
I tried to have the port tuned to 27 hz, but the box building software that I am using called for a ridiculously long port legnth. I had somewhat of the same problem with my old ported box except that i would have to roll down the windows for the bass to hit harder.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:26 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by TacaoBell
Biggs,

it the engineers at Image...say their driver won't fair well in an fourth order bandpass enclosure...they know their product best...or at least i'd hope...lol

so the bondo party has begun on my rear enclosure...pics later...

and I finally got off of my ass and had Zenesis send me an Alarm/Remote Start unit for my car...

Zenesis ZN-502

I've been on vaction for the last week and a half....and boy do I still have a shit ton of work to do...who wants to help?

-Jason
Old 08-19-2009, 08:11 PM
Advanced

I've been reading this thread religiously and I like what you've done so far, and i'm well on my way to a similar setup using morel components. I'm glad you did two 12" w6's cuz I was interested to see if two would be too much in my TL, and to be honest, after watching your videos, I think they are, for me atleast. That being said, here's my question: what's your opinion on 2 10" w6's powered by a 1000/1, in the same, proportionate box?
Old 08-19-2009, 08:47 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by nuttcase21
I've been reading this thread religiously and I like what you've done so far, and i'm well on my way to a similar setup using morel components. I'm glad you did two 12" w6's cuz I was interested to see if two would be too much in my TL, and to be honest, after watching your videos, I think they are, for me atleast. That being said, here's my question: what's your opinion on 2 10" w6's powered by a 1000/1, in the same, proportionate box?
Why not 1 12" W6? Just thinking you may be able to save a little space that way.

I can honestly say I would be more than fine with only 1 12W6 in this enclosure. They went from not enough in a sealed enclosure to having to cut the gains waaaay back in this one. I'm honestly thinking of keeping this one and doing another enclosure like this to gain a little trunk space for when I travel.

Jason knows more than me, but I think it's a safe guess that one driver in this box is louder than two in a sealed box.

Quick Reply: "System" In The Works!