"System" In The Works!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 12:34 AM
Unregistered User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CSWBiggs
there is absolutely nothing crazy about them...they make things very simple...wether it be @ 1.5-4 ohms...the amplifier delivers the specified power...

the overall goal is to try and run the amplifier within its efficiency range...

i seriously don't know what everyone's deal is over 1 ohm stability...for the amount of current that it takes for such a lil gain...

you're seriously confused...please rephrase with proper terminology

-Jason

Hah. I don't know where to get proper terminology. What I'm saying is basically, (and this is where your knowledge is requested) I thought the lower you can get your ohm rating, the more power you can squeeze out of your amplifier. More power resulting in a harder hitting bass note. Less efficient for the amp (and I guess your electrical system) but louder.

And with the JL 1.5 ohm rating, I lack the knowledge of how to connect subs at 1.5 ohms. I understand if JL means, the range of the amp is 1.5 - 4 ohms. But I only see how you'd get to 2 ohms or 4 ohms.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:59 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob RiL
Hah. I don't know where to get proper terminology. What I'm saying is basically, (and this is where your knowledge is requested) I thought the lower you can get your ohm rating, the more power you can squeeze out of your amplifier. More power resulting in a harder hitting bass note. Less efficient for the amp (and I guess your electrical system) but louder.

And with the JL 1.5 ohm rating, I lack the knowledge of how to connect subs at 1.5 ohms. I understand if JL means, the range of the amp is 1.5 - 4 ohms. But I only see how you'd get to 2 ohms or 4 ohms.
if you're an spl competitor shooting for numbers...than gaining every bit of power you can is beneficial...in order to gain any noticible gain in volume..approx 3db louder...you need nearly 4 times the power...so doubling the power..nets only 1.5 db...however your ears are unable to detect such a minute change in volume...

however...what your ears will detect will be the terrible quality quality of sound that your subs are now producing...this is do to the increased clipping as well as the lack of cone control due to the unacceptably low level of damping control provided or should i say not provided by the amplifier...

as far as achieving 1.5 ohms.,..

the 8, 10, 12 w7's are SVC 3ohm drivers...
while the 13w7 is a DVC 1.5ohm driver...

two of the svc 3 ohm drivers in parallel will yield a 1.5 ohm impedence load

or strapping an amp to each of the 1.5 ohm coils on a 13 w7

or back in the day jl used to make 6 ohm drivers

-Jason
Old 06-22-2009, 12:47 AM
Unregistered User

if you're an spl competitor shooting for numbers...than gaining every bit of power you can is beneficial...in order to gain any noticible gain in volume..approx 3db louder...you need nearly 4 times the power...so doubling the power..nets only 1.5 db...however your ears are unable to detect such a minute change in volume...

however...what your ears will detect will be the terrible quality quality of sound that your subs are now producing...this is do to the increased clipping as well as the lack of cone control due to the unacceptably low level of damping control provided or should i say not provided by the amplifier...

as far as achieving 1.5 ohms.,..

the 8, 10, 12 w7's are SVC 3ohm drivers...
while the 13w7 is a DVC 1.5ohm driver...

two of the svc 3 ohm drivers in parallel will yield a 1.5 ohm impedence load

or strapping an amp to each of the 1.5 ohm coils on a 13 w7

or back in the day jl used to make 6 ohm drivers

-Jason
great explanation. basically, jl makes speakers now that require jl amps. or, you just have to know every amp available to find something at those ohms.

w6 v2 is still 4ohm each coil correct? i hope so!
Old 06-22-2009, 01:18 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Jason-- I had a friend that's big into car audio and not so into JL Audio take a ride in the car today. He's heard it in all of it's incarnations over the last two years. I always got the typical overpriced, much better sq for less money, you know the usual stuff. Now he's asking me if my friend (you) would be willing to design a bandpass with a single 13.5" W6 for his Porsche 951. I think the Ghetto Miracle Box impressed him fairly well.

I played some Bush and country first and he was very impressed with the punch it had. Then I played some TI at very high volumes and he couldn't believe it hit the low notes when it had so much punch with the country.

Then I had him go in the back seat and feel the subs while playing rap at high volumes and the face he made when he felt the subs barely moving was priceless.

This guy is hard to impress and he's been brutally honest with my setups in the past so it actually means something that he wants to duplicate the setup.

To anyone wanting the absolute best sub bass for the TL, it ends here. If Jason decides to mass market this stuff I suggest jumping on the chance. It still surprises me on some CDs that will have one track with tight hard hitting bass that sounds awesome and the next track is low deep bass that also sounds great. Not to mention I cut my gains by half going from the sealed box to the GMB.

One thing I particularly like is it seems to have taken some of the midbass requirement away from the 6.5" door speakers.

If you're interested in designing a box with similar properties using a single 13.5" W6, he's willing to pay good money just for the blueprints or the whole box and sub.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:34 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you got em

Originally Posted by I hate cars

If you're interested in designing a box with similar properties using a single 13.5" W6, he's willing to pay good money just for the blueprints or the whole box and sub.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:02 AM
A-SPEC TL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would be down to buy it also!.....2 13.5 W7's for ME! :P
Old 06-23-2009, 01:35 AM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

To anyone wanting the absolute best sub bass for the TL, it ends here. .
Kind of a reach..dont cha think?
Old 06-23-2009, 02:37 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by eggyhustles
Nope. You need to hear it.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:37 AM
Drifting

I do..too bad you guys are on the other side of the country
Old 06-23-2009, 12:26 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Klutch
i would be down to buy it also!.....2 13.5 W7's for ME! :P
w7's and Bandpass enclosures...no bueno!

-Jason
Old 06-23-2009, 12:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
w7's and Bandpass enclosures...no bueno!

-Jason
boss if you could draw the cuts for me for those two 12" boston g5 dvc i was asking you about. id pay you.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:35 PM
Pro

Nope..it really isn't a reach...no jokin...while i'm outta commision...and no subwoofer system..i had a jl pre fabbed enclosure for a single 12w6v2...and man...the miracle box smokes if in every sense...for all of you guys that are firing their subwoofers into the trunk area...you guys are totally missing out on how much better your systems could sound...no joke!!! and btw..the tl is a rattle trap in the trunk...

eggy...fly to la...come listen and hang out!

there are only 2 people on this forum that have heard it first hand...and they were blown away!

-Jason
Old 06-23-2009, 12:36 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by BukvaMan
boss if you could draw the cuts for me for those two 12" boston g5 dvc i was asking you about. id pay you.
what sort of box design r u lookin for? square bandpass or miracle bandpass style?

-Jason
Old 06-23-2009, 12:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

what sort of box design r u lookin for? square bandpass or miracle bandpass style?

-Jason
im looking for something thats gonna work !! sound very good and be loud, like that miracle box you guys are talking about. SQ is more important though.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

http://img195.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=img2882c.jpg

thats what i have right now... take a look and let me know what you think.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:17 PM
Drifting

those boston g5's aren't gonna get that loud..decent sq subs, though.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:39 PM
10th Gear

i want 1 of these.... how much for blueprints lol
Old 06-23-2009, 03:56 PM
Team Owner

Eggy, you really need to find a way to hear that box.

If you read most of my other posts on this board, most of them are disagreeing with other members and I'm not afraid of a little conflict.

But when I saw the design and concept of this box, it's the only thing that made perfect sense in every way. It eliminated all of the problems we have with the subs in the trunk.

Listening to it just reinforced how well it worked. Trust me, even though Jason is a nice guy I would have politely posted a bad review of the setup if I didn't like it.

I haven't just had one person, nearly everyone who has been in the car as a passenger just going to lunch or whatever has asked what I have in there even with the volume down.

Keep in mind, mine doesn't sound quite as good as Jason's.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:28 PM
Not where I should be

This is interesting. I've been reading pages of information here as I'm about to install my equipment. I have a set (2) of 12" Hertz High Energy HX300 subs which will be powered by an Audison LRX 5.1k which will also be powering the fronts, which is also a set of Hertz High Energy HSK 165. I've only ever heard the subs on the display panel in the shop but from what I understand they are pretty good for the money. They also recommend a sealed enclosure however the manual offers dimensions for both a sealed and reflex box.
What would you recommend and could you design, draw, the box? I'm sold on the best solution however do not wish to sacrifice the entire trunk for a box.

Thanks
Old 06-23-2009, 10:29 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by ML²
This is interesting. I've been reading pages of information here as I'm about to install my equipment. I have a set (2) of 12" Hertz High Energy HX300 subs which will be powered by an Audison LRX 5.1k which will also be powering the fronts, which is also a set of Hertz High Energy HSK 165. I've only ever heard the subs on the display panel in the shop but from what I understand they are pretty good for the money. They also recommend a sealed enclosure however the manual offers dimensions for both a sealed and reflex box.
What would you recommend and could you design, draw, the box? I'm sold on the best solution however do not wish to sacrifice the entire trunk for a box.

Thanks
lemme do the math and see what i can come up with..

Eggy, you really need to find a way to hear that box.

If you read most of my other posts on this board, most of them are disagreeing with other members and I'm not afraid of a little conflict.

But when I saw the design and concept of this box, it's the only thing that made perfect sense in every way. It eliminated all of the problems we have with the subs in the trunk.

Listening to it just reinforced how well it worked. Trust me, even though Jason is a nice guy I would have politely posted a bad review of the setup if I didn't like it.

I haven't just had one person, nearly everyone who has been in the car as a passenger just going to lunch or whatever has asked what I have in there even with the volume down.

Keep in mind, mine doesn't sound quite as good as Jason's.
lol...thanks for the amazing comments...it's much appreciated...hopefully i'll get to finish mine... and hook u up with the original..

Originally Posted by Chronic856
i want 1 of these.... how much for blueprints lol
blue prints don't exist..everything is one off at this point..i'm going to master cam it out so i can cut it with a 5 axis router to make producing them a lil faster and less of a pain in the ass...

those boston g5's aren't gonna get that loud..decent sq subs, though.
eh...they're a great driver...however not to sure how bandpass friendly they are just yet...

Originally Posted by BukvaMan
http://img195.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=img2882c.jpg

thats what i have right now... take a look and let me know what you think.
we'll see what i can do...

-Jason
Old 06-23-2009, 11:41 PM
Drifting

biggs what do u think about the ssa xcon? reviews and specs have been good so far
Old 06-25-2009, 04:37 AM
Fallen Corpsman

i've been really really lazy

just got to finish bodywork and wrap them...

-Jason

I was hoping to install a set of the SPX-17PROs or the Polk SR6500s to upgrade my front sound stage from stock. A friend of mine had a 4-Channel amp laying around (RF Power 750x)

I checked the Crutchfield site and was hoping their fitting guide was wrong because they kept recommending 5 1/4s up front.

I'm hoping the Crutchfield site is wrong.

So I have two questions for you.

1. Do the Alpine SPX-17PROs fit in the stock location without having to modify the doors like you have?

2. How did you mount your amp rack? I love it! I've got a Kicker 850.2 and would like to mount mine in a similar way.

TIA!
Old 06-25-2009, 05:34 PM
Pro

Sealed large holes with corrison resitant material...

Bare door...

Front Plate...

Rear Lower Plate...

Rear Upper Plate temp installed...notice door contours

Plated before dynamat

-Jason
Old 06-25-2009, 07:42 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts
ok Jason! now you're getting carried away! LOL! looks good dude! so you cut that foam box looking thing on the panel itself. isn't it for support?
Old 06-25-2009, 07:49 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
omg! How did you do that with only 9 fingers???

Nice attention to detail, Jason!
Old 06-25-2009, 09:00 PM
Pro

final front driver's door...

2 hrs per door...lol...better safe than sorry...

and as of right now...i'm finally bodyworkin the drivers door pod....sanding suck with only one hand available...no switch hittin for me =P

and trew..i still have all of my fingers...so =P to you!

thanks for all the kind words

more progress later...it's AMAZING what you can get done when you don't have to do this for a livin anymore..ahahaha...

-Jason
Old 06-26-2009, 12:48 PM
Pro

One door pod ready to be wrapped...got to wait on material!

Body worked the drivers pod and rattle-canned it flat black to see the shape...

Hopefully I'll get to the other pod some time next week....

-Jason

Last edited by CSWBiggs; 06-26-2009 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:36 PM
Unregistered User

Sealed large holes with corrison resitant material...
looks like a/c ducting. ha. where do you find all this material?
i have to order or modify every idea I have due to lack of suppliers.
Old 06-27-2009, 05:53 PM
Not where I should be

lemme do the math and see what i can come up with..

-Jason
Thanks for the offer Jason.
Here is a scan from the manual, I hope this helps

Old 07-03-2009, 12:29 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I like those mid-woof pods, Very nice work, Make me a pair too !!! Good to hear your healing and it wasn't worse.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
the big foam rectangle box in the door serves to purposes, side impact energy absorption and if your window falls to assist in not breaking the glass.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:50 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Biggs,

I hate to bother you with something so simple... but you seem to be the man to ask.

I have a setup in my car where I go from the stock amp unit to a 360. Then from the 360 to a couple JL amps, and a small Boston amp for my center.

My question is about remote turn on. Right now, I'm using the auto-sense mode on the 360 where it detects voltage on the speaker lines and automatically switches on the amps.

The problem I'm having is ever since I installed the setup, my battery dies after maybe 3/4 days of not using the car. I've replaced the battery thinking maybe it was old, but it's still doing the same thing.

How are you planning on doing remote amp turn-on in your setup? Could you please shed some light? I thought of just putting a switch that'll feed 12V to the amp remote turn-on posts, but that's kinda lame.

Any ideas?

Thanks, man, and your setup is crazy insane!

Rob
Old 07-03-2009, 03:00 PM
Pro

Passenger Side ready to be wrapped

Finger Healing Progress

lol

Zax...

I used a T-Tap off of the Yellow Accy Wire in the ignition harness at the fusebox...fused with a 5 amp fuse...

-Jason
Old 07-03-2009, 03:47 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
wow.. i work in the hospital and ur finger still looks gross lol.. good work on the system man!
Old 07-04-2009, 01:53 PM
Burning Brakes

damn you stop posted pics of your finger I am now afraid to use my own table saw....
Old 07-04-2009, 02:58 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by quad150db
damn you stop posted pics of your finger I am now afraid to use my own table saw....
hahahaha....never!

don't be affraid to use it...

it's a funny thing...i've always wondered what it would be like to touch the spinning blade...guess I don't have to wonder anymore!

-Jason
Old 07-04-2009, 06:53 PM
Burning Brakes

hahahaha....never!

it's a funny thing...i've always wondered what it would be like to touch the spinning blade...guess I don't have to wonder anymore!

-Jason
Remind me to keep you away from my firearms.... I am afraid what else you might be wondering.

So what happened that caused you to do that to your finger?
Old 07-05-2009, 09:47 PM
Acura drove me away too..

Received 107 Likes on 66 Posts
hahahaha....never!

-Jason

Kinda like when I was a kid and I wondered what it would feel like to turn the handle bars on my bike when I was going really fast... one day I did it and found out!!!! Funny thing was I found out what asphault tasted like that day too...

Anyways... Your car looks great man!!!
Old 07-06-2009, 07:31 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Thanks Biggs, I was thinking of doing that, thought there might be a more elegant way of doing it. I'll hook it up. Thanks!
Old 07-06-2009, 08:04 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BlueAc
Kinda like when I was a kid and I wondered what it would feel like to turn the handle bars on my bike when I was going really fast... one day I did it and found out!!!! Funny thing was I found out what asphault tasted like that day too...

Anyways... Your car looks great man!!!
Funny, I did the same with a running lawnmower. Unfortunately I was 17 but just had to see how close I could get. I got my fingernail trimmed along with a small cut and that was enough to never do it again. Looking back I have no idea what made me do it.

Quick Reply: "System" In The Works!