System Install Multiple Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 03:51 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
System Install Multiple Questions

Hey guys, new to the TL world just got my 2008 base TL about a month ago. I'm looking at replacing the stock system in mine. I have a system from my old Neon which I am going to sell and buy an entire new one for my TL.

I am looking at adding just subs for now the stock system with the factory amp has great sound quality it sounds just as good if not a little better as what I got from my 4 channel amp and speakers from my old system.

I really want to add subs though I really miss the kick from the Alpine Type R 10's. I am thinking of just upgrading to Alpine Type X 10 or 12's.

I have multiple questions though. First off I am most likely going to just use the wires from the stock head unit to run to whatever I end up getting for my new amp. First off which wires will I need to cut to run into an LOC? I will be cutting before the factory amp as I do not plan on using the stock amp for subs. Will the stock HU's sub volume controls work on my new subs? I assume so as it is running of the stock wiring.

Where should i install my remote on wire from also?

I also read a few posts about this causing my check engine light to come on and that I need to disconnect a microphone for the noise cancellation although I never use this feature so i assume it will cause no issues.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:16 PM
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
I used the sub signal going to the subwoofer in my initial install - just wired it into the amp high level (no LOC). Avoid the LOC if you can, they really drop the signal under 100hz.

You can use a add-a-fuse on #32 that will be with ignition. The stock system is on at ignition time to support the HFL and navi (if you have one). The amps are on even when the radio is not.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:53 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jda123
I used the sub signal going to the subwoofer in my initial install - just wired it into the amp high level (no LOC). Avoid the LOC if you can, they really drop the signal under 100hz.

You can use a add-a-fuse on #32 that will be with ignition. The stock system is on at ignition time to support the HFL and navi (if you have one). The amps are on even when the radio is not.
I take it fuse #32 is empty by default? and how would i go about installing my remote on to this. I had a friend who did it on a different car and just shoved a wire down in the fuse slot but I doubt thats the correct way to do it.

And i never even thought of using high level inputs thats a much better idea. Although will this lower sound quality compared to RCA's off an aftermarket head unit? Also I take it i would cut the wire before the stock amp?
Old 01-16-2012, 12:07 AM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts
Yup. Tap fuse 32. You can either just shove it in there, but id pick up an "add-a-fuse" at a parts store.

Sq won't be different using line level, especially in this small freq. range. You won't be able to tell. You can tap the pre-amp signal before the stock amp in the passenger kick panel or you can tap post-amp. It can be wired into right below the sub in the trunk. Pull the liner down and you should see a hole in the middle with the sub just above it. Pop the plug off the stock sub and wire into it. Wallah