Stock Amplifier Output Issue: Does it happen over time or out of the sudden?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 10:10 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stock Amplifier Output Issue: Does it happen over time or out of the sudden?

This is a question for the audio experts out there about the stock amplifier output issue caused by bad capacitors. Like many of the folks in the forums I also ended up with a dead amplifier as a result of capacitors going bad. Unfortunately, I am not the daily driver of this particular TL, so by the time I was informed there was something odd with the audio system, the amplifier was already bad.

What I would like to understand is if this output issue happens over time, or if it happens out of the sudden. In other words does the output gradually degrades, and this degradation is not noticeable because our ears get used to it? I am not an engineer and don't have a strong background in electronics and how capacitors work in amplifiers. I did the read the post about the repair, though. However, I could not find an answer to my question based on the discussion.

What has prompted me to ask this question is that I ordered a used stock amplifier from a junkyard. Assuming I am not going to get a dead amplifier (it does come with warranty!), the sound output will certainly be better than what is available right now. However, could it be partially better like working at maybe half of the original output? Is that even possible?
Old 11-19-2016, 10:17 AM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
Originally Posted by celsoglima
This is a question for the audio experts out there about the stock amplifier output issue caused by bad capacitors. Like many of the folks in the forums I also ended up with a dead amplifier as a result of capacitors going bad. Unfortunately, I am not the daily driver of this particular TL, so by the time I was informed there was something odd with the audio system, the amplifier was already bad.

What I would like to understand is if this output issue happens over time, or if it happens out of the sudden. In other words does the output gradually degrades, and this degradation is not noticeable because our ears get used to it? I am not an engineer and don't have a strong background in electronics and how capacitors work in amplifiers. I did the read the post about the repair, though. However, I could not find an answer to my question based on the discussion.

What has prompted me to ask this question is that I ordered a used stock amplifier from a junkyard. Assuming I am not going to get a dead amplifier (it does come with warranty!), the sound output will certainly be better than what is available right now. However, could it be partially better like working at maybe half of the original output? Is that even possible?
It can be both. There is a guide here to switch out the caps to get clearer audio/fix your amplifier. Might be worth looking into instead of getting another one which could go bad in a short time/is already going bad.
The following users liked this post:
celsoglima (11-20-2016)
Old 11-20-2016, 09:39 PM
Cruisin'

I had already ordered the replacement amp when I thought about the question above. There is not much I can do at this point with regard to that. What I can do now is to try to repair my original amp following the repair guide you are referring to. I would like to give it a shot while I have access to the car to test the repair. I plan on getting something else sometime in the Spring. Thanks for your input!
03max6spd (11-21-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 03:56 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I had already ordered the replacement amp when I thought about the question above. There is not much I can do at this point with regard to that. What I can do now is to try to repair my original amp following the repair guide you are referring to. I would like to give it a shot while I have access to the car to test the repair. I plan on getting something else sometime in the Spring. Thanks for your input!
Theres a guy that offers that service, can open the factory amp and improve the electronics inside for clearer, brighter sound and harder hitting bass.

https://www.heeltoeauto.com/phantom_audio/?catid=2430
celsoglima (11-22-2016)
Old 11-22-2016, 08:46 PM
Cruisin'

I came across a reference to that HeelToe site in another post I read. I will keep it as a reference for future vehicles.If we weren't planning on getting something else soon, it would be worth the expense. Thanks for the recommendation, though!
03max6spd (11-30-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 03:34 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cool

I came across a reference to that HeelToe site in another post I read. I will keep it as a reference for future vehicles.If we weren't planning on getting something else soon, it would be worth the expense. Thanks for the recommendation, though!
Not a problem, cant wait to get this modded amp! i also had the stock radio done as well, the capacitors and mosfets are being replaced in that as well.

Everything should play louder and more crisp with the amp alone, cant wait to put the radio in too!!