Steve's Audio Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 11:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
Steve's Audio Install

Alright I have been wanting to do a thread on this... My phone camera sucks (but otherwise the phone is awesome). I have a HTC ONE m7. Great performance from this phone over the four or so years I have had it. As ypu may or may not have guessed I still use this model due to the high quality DAC it utilizes.

Anyway I am gonna dig around for my Canon camera for this purpose. Actuly I am just writing this now to force myself to do it before everything is installed.

To be continued...
Old 08-12-2017, 03:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Ok first few pictures...

Right tweeter installed. Perfect fit in oem location after some trimming of dash materials underneath where the oem tweeter sits.
Right door speaker installed. It is a Dayton Audio RS180-4. Had to cut a bigger hole for it to fit. Made 3/4" mdf rings to sit them on and painted them with primer so they hold up to moisture for a lot of years.
Made a box for my amp to sit in and sy safe and cool. Not sure how I am going to mount it... Its just sitting in the trunk right now while I figure it out...
My speaker wire for the front (14/2 electrical wire).
The speaker rings before primer. Used a jigsaw. Better than last time I would say.Got my tweeters and amp all installed two days ago. I had been a bit anxious/worried about there being some noise in the system due to this car having navigation but all is well. The sound is crystal clear.

Wiring at kick panel. All signals taken preamp and my beefy wirung connects to the stock speaker wiring at the amp (easy).
​​​​​
Old 08-12-2017, 03:57 PM
Burning Brakes

My car
Oh yeah, the tweeters are NVX XSPTWs. They play low with an Fs of around 800Hz.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:53 AM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
That tweeter looks OEM and sounds great off axis. Are you running active?
Old 08-13-2017, 10:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chardness
That tweeter looks OEM and sounds great off axis. Are you running active?
Yes, I soent many hours looking for the right tweeter for this car, looking up mounting and overall diameters so I am pleased with the fit and look of them. They sound great too. Not running active. i havw a simple first order crossover network that I made. Tweeters have resisters amd capacitors stuffed underneath them while the door speakers just have a sngle coil attached. Response is nice and smooth.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
glad to hear you dont' have the noise issues. mine never went away and i just live with them. glad to see you finally put up a thread!
Old 08-14-2017, 03:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sockr1
glad to hear you dont' have the noise issues. mine never went away and i just live with them. glad to see you finally put up a thread!

​​Yeah I was so relieved but now I am wondering if I can help solve your nouse issue, if you care to try it AGAIN....

How did you connect your signals amd power in your system?
Old 08-14-2017, 03:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
Originally Posted by stevemk07
​​Yeah I was so relieved but now I am wondering if I can help solve your nouse issue, if you care to try it AGAIN....

How did you connect your signals amd power in your system?
i would love to get my issue solved but i don't have much hope...i've talked and shown like 5 shops and they all said i did all i could and they've seen it before
we can do this via email so we don't cloud up your thread (my email is my AZ name @gmail.com)
Old 08-24-2017, 07:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Okay I made a couple of 1/4" rings to increase the depth of my mounting structure. Reason being I am not satisfied with the upper extension from the door speakers. The plan is to mount tyem closer to the opening of the door panel's sppeaker grill.
Made from high density fibre board I believe (had it laying around).
Old 08-25-2017, 02:22 AM
Instructor

Free is always better. There's also this:
Amazon Amazon

Originally Posted by stevemk07
Okay I made a couple of 1/4" rings to increase the depth of my mounting structure. Reason being I am not satisfied with the upper extension from the door speakers. The plan is to mount tyem closer to the opening of the door panel's sppeaker grill.
Made from high density fibre board I believe (had it laying around).
Old 08-25-2017, 11:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Free is always better. There's also this: https://www.amazon.com/FAST-Rings-3-.../dp/B016LFVKHY
That would provide some benefit but not what I am looking for.... I want the speakers closer to the openings... The foam would trap sound rather than direct it. The plastic on the door panel will direct it but the end response is not what I am looking for out of these speakers. I do have foam around that area and behind the speakers already.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:39 PM
Instructor

Steve,

Where did you mount your ground wire into? Did you use the bolt that connects the fuel pump ground?
Old 09-24-2017, 01:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Steve,

Where did you mount your ground wire into? Did you use the bolt that connects the fuel pump ground?
I made a connection on the braces behind the rear seat... Theres some long holes cut out of them so I put it there... Grinded some paint off an area and used two washers, a bolt and nut to make a good connection. I had the rear seat back out at the time.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:31 AM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
800hz is an amazing feat for a standard sized tweeter!! That should help imaging alot coming from that stock dash location. Great call. I've done some wide band speakers there but requires some alteration to the dash. Are you wired into the amp at speaker level or did you solder the ends with RCA plugs and then into low level inputs?

Last edited by Bchester6; 09-28-2017 at 08:34 AM.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bchester6
800hz is an amazing feat for a standard sized tweeter!! That should help imaging alot coming from that stock dash location. Great call. I've done some wide band speakers there but requires some alteration to the dash. Are you wired into the amp at speaker level or did you solder the ends with RCA plugs and then into low level inputs?
Agreed but I dont think I get that low of an Fs in my case due to not using the supplied accoustic chamber they came with (will not fit in dash). I have a first order high pass filter at 5k which sounds good.

RCAs are connected to the preamp wires at the stock amp.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:28 PM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
800 hz is the frequency response from what I saw online. Fs is usually lower than that but it doesn't mean that you should play it that low especially if you are using shallower slopes like 12db.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bchester6
800 hz is the frequency response from what I saw online. Fs is usually lower than that but it doesn't mean that you should play it that low especially if you are using shallower slopes like 12db.
Ok...