Sprint Samsung A900

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 02:30 PM
Team NBP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by draco
As far as HFL locking up? Though, I have seen a service bulliten that say to replace the unit.
Does anyone know if Acura/Honda has made any updates to the HFL's firmware?

See Bulletin:
http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/B05-020.PDF
Actually, The article answers my question the I have an '04 TL. Which is covered in this bulletin.

However, this doesn't solve the problem of the A900 /HFL not ending calls from the buttons. It does address another problem mentioned in this thread concerning HFL locking up requiring the removal of the battery cable to reset.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:02 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by draco
Actually, The article answers my question the I have an '04 TL. Which is covered in this bulletin.

However, this doesn't solve the problem of the A900 /HFL not ending calls from the buttons. It does address another problem mentioned in this thread concerning HFL locking up requiring the removal of the battery cable to reset.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:03 PM
Cruisin'

I've got the a900 and have the same problems most have after downloading the latest firmware, I cant end a phone call unless hit 'end' on my phone, or the other person hangs up. And yesterday the HFL locked up, even after turning the car off, disconnecting the bluetooth and turning the phone off. I cant use the back button to get out either. However the person at my dealership who helps out with bluetooth and navigation said he's had luck with the A920 after downloading YK12 firmware. He's only tried it once though.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:53 AM
Advanced

The Acura owers link now lists all three Samsung Bluetooth models as incompatible with Handsfree link. This doesn't give me any confidence that Samsung knows what they are doing.
Old 01-13-2006, 02:22 PM
Intermediate

Wasn't there supposed to be another firmware update on Jan 9th or around that? It obviously didn't happen then, but any word on when to expect it?
Old 01-13-2006, 03:27 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by huberc
Wasn't there supposed to be another firmware update on Jan 9th or around that? It obviously didn't happen then, but any word on when to expect it?

No word on any of the Sprint Forums. It is still coming though.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:42 PM
Cruisin'

So out of 6 Sprint phones that are compatible with HFL, 4 are PDA's and the other two normal phones are discontinued. It would be nice if Sprint could help push Samsung a bit. From what I heard from an Acura tech, Sprint pushed to get the TREO 650 to be compatible. From what he said, the treo only worked with sprint as the carrier, no one else. I don't know if that's true or not. I would think Sprint wouldn't like that no regular phones work with Acuras
Old 01-14-2006, 09:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kieshers
So out of 6 Sprint phones that are compatible with HFL, 4 are PDA's and the other two normal phones are discontinued. It would be nice if Sprint could help push Samsung a bit. From what I heard from an Acura tech, Sprint pushed to get the TREO 650 to be compatible. From what he said, the treo only worked with sprint as the carrier, no one else. I don't know if that's true or not. I would think Sprint wouldn't like that no regular phones work with Acuras
The LG 325 is being phased out, but it going to be placed by the LG MM-350 which will probably be compatible also.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:42 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HiTEC
The LG 325 is being phased out, but it going to be placed by the LG MM-350 which will probably be compatible also.
where did you find the info on the LG mm-350?
Old 01-15-2006, 10:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Link to article.

PCS Intel - LG MM-350
Old 01-18-2006, 09:21 PM
Advanced

I've had my a900 for about 2 weeks now and love it! Noticed a couple wierd things though. Driving to work this morning and decided to make a call. Usually dial from the phone and the HFL is supposed to pick it up but this time it didn't. So i told it to "transfer" and it worked. Made another phone call and this time I pressed the pick - up button on the steering wheel and asked it to "Call". Instead of asking me what name or number it told me "The phone is in use". I hit the hang up button and somehow it was locked up. I pressed the telephone button again and said "Cancel" and it went back to the radio. I tried it again and this time it interpreted "Call" as "#" and then it said "would you like to send or --------(don't remember what the other option was)" so I hit the button again and said "Yes" then the HFL said "Please repeat"
I checked the phone and the "Visibility" option was set to "Hidden". I know I had it set to "Always Visible". Changed the settings and still couldn't call or dial through the HFL. Even re-paired it.
Had to turn my cell phone off where I was and when I got back to my car I turned it back on. Tried it again and this time it worked!
So, anybody else get this wierd error where it tells you that your "phone is in use" ????

On a side note: I was playing around with the bluetooth on the phone and decided to try and send a contact to the HFL.
I chose a contact and sent it to the HFL. It told me that I was still connected would I like to disconnect. I chose yes and it sent successfully!!!!! I checked the phone book and it wasn't there.
Was just putzing around, figured it wasn't going to work but you never know.
I tried this after I had the "in use" problem

So far I haven't had any of the phantom ringings.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:31 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by tekageek
I've had my a900 for about 2 weeks now and love it! Noticed a couple wierd things though. Driving to work this morning and decided to make a call. Usually dial from the phone and the HFL is supposed to pick it up but this time it didn't. So i told it to "transfer" and it worked. Made another phone call and this time I pressed the pick - up button on the steering wheel and asked it to "Call". Instead of asking me what name or number it told me "The phone is in use". I hit the hang up button and somehow it was locked up. I pressed the telephone button again and said "Cancel" and it went back to the radio. I tried it again and this time it interpreted "Call" as "#" and then it said "would you like to send or --------(don't remember what the other option was)" so I hit the button again and said "Yes" then the HFL said "Please repeat"
I checked the phone and the "Visibility" option was set to "Hidden". I know I had it set to "Always Visible". Changed the settings and still couldn't call or dial through the HFL. Even re-paired it.
Had to turn my cell phone off where I was and when I got back to my car I turned it back on. Tried it again and this time it worked!
So, anybody else get this wierd error where it tells you that your "phone is in use" ????

On a side note: I was playing around with the bluetooth on the phone and decided to try and send a contact to the HFL.
I chose a contact and sent it to the HFL. It told me that I was still connected would I like to disconnect. I chose yes and it sent successfully!!!!! I checked the phone book and it wasn't there.
Was just putzing around, figured it wasn't going to work but you never know.
I tried this after I had the "in use" problem

So far I haven't had any of the phantom ringings.

Acura has judged this phone, as well as the other Bluetooth Samsungs, as incompatible with Handsfreelink. Until that changes, any successful use through Handsfreelink must be classified as accidental.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:08 PM
7th Gear

New update available for the A-900 just this afternoon. Still downloading. States some bluetooth fixes...we'll see if we're included in them.

Lenny
Old 01-20-2006, 10:43 PM
Advanced

Still BUGGGY!!!!!!! Finished updating and went out to the car. Automatically told me that I had an incoming call with nobody there. It ended up looking at the last person in the outgoing history. Deleted all the history and it seems ok. I deleted the connection in the car and the phone and then re-paired. Tried it calling *2 and it was working fine. I tried hanging up using the button on the steering wheel and it was locked. Had to take out the battery. Was pressing buttons trying to take out the battery. Restarted the phone and it doesn't seem to report the incoming call anymore.
Still no battery or signal meter.
I liked the last update much better. Hadn't had a problem before. Now i'm getting wierd problems.
Anybody else encountering issues after the update.
Old 01-21-2006, 04:47 PM
Intermediate

I had issues before the update. I got the update and deleted and re-paired my phone. The back button still doesn't work. I will be driving on a longer trip later today, so hopefully I will see if it fixed the ghost caller issue.
Old 01-21-2006, 05:46 PM
7th Gear

So far new update no different than the previous. I got worried; phone crashed after the first call, but now it works like it did before. As mentioned, the disconnect does not work, but otherwise, works OK. No battery or signal strength (that may never be part of it). Looks like we'll still have to wait for the next update to see if it works any better.

Lenny
Old 01-21-2006, 07:45 PM
10th Gear

Done caring...it does what it needs to do.

If it is the same as always...i see no need in updating my phone right now. I have very few occasions of phantom calls and lock outs. They happen but few and far between. I have gotten use to waiting for a caller to hang up (90% of time) or hitting end myself (10% of time). I adore this phone. The HFL technology is the primary interest. I really don't care if all symbols are labled. Not all Acura recommended HFL phones work perfectly; i have to assume that this is par for the course...which isn't bad considering it isn't acura approved.

anyway...Great phone...just wondering...Does it or doesn't it have a speaker phonefeature? I know w/ HFL you would never use speaker option. But, I was researching the manual and saw no mention of this feature. I assume it does not...thought maybe I missed something.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:03 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by boognishloeb
If it is the same as always...i see no need in updating my phone right now. I have very few occasions of phantom calls and lock outs. They happen but few and far between. I have gotten use to waiting for a caller to hang up (90% of time) or hitting end myself (10% of time). I adore this phone. The HFL technology is the primary interest. I really don't care if all symbols are labled. Not all Acura recommended HFL phones work perfectly; i have to assume that this is par for the course...which isn't bad considering it isn't acura approved.

anyway...Great phone...just wondering...Does it or doesn't it have a speaker phonefeature? I know w/ HFL you would never use speaker option. But, I was researching the manual and saw no mention of this feature. I assume it does not...thought maybe I missed something.

Yes, the phone has a speakerphone. I dont have the phone in front of me, but once you are on a call, the option is available to turn on the speakerphone. This was another reason I got this phone.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:45 AM
Intermediate

After the call has started, you hit the right soft key (I think it's labelled Options on the screen). The first option is speakerphone.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:34 PM
Racer

Doesn't look good

I've spoken directly with both SPCS and Samsung tech support regarding this issue. Both companies insist that the other produces all software updates for the A900. Neither one is willing to claim responsibility for, nor commit themselves to, adding HFL to the list of supported profiles for this device. Unfortunately, regardless of who is responsible for what, it does not appear that either company has any intention of making this happen any time in the near or distant distant future.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:13 PM
Burning Brakes

I was reading the Sprint forums and I was amazed that people have the same issues with phanton calls and such even with BT headsets. Lots of people complaining about issues with their headsets and other cars.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:35 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by UminChu
I've spoken directly with both SPCS and Samsung tech support regarding this issue. Both companies insist that the other produces all software updates for the A900. Neither one is willing to claim responsibility for, nor commit themselves to, adding HFL to the list of supported profiles for this device. Unfortunately, regardless of who is responsible for what, it does not appear that either company has any intention of making this happen any time in the near or distant distant future.

I have a hard time believing that this won't get fixed, albeit slowly. More and more cars are getting Bluetooth built in and Sprint would be stupid to ignore this market. Wake up Sprint, I am losing patience.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:24 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Hey guys,

I picked up this phone a couple days ago and I have a few questions.

1. I have tried to dowload the updates, but I keep geeting error #1027 network busy. Has anyone else been getting this lately? I went to sprint store to ask if they could update the phone with the software they had, but they said they don't have any updates for that phone yet. I'm so confused. Do I just need to go to another store? BTW, I have revision YK14 is that the latest release?

2. I am having a problem calling out using the TL's HFL, it transfers the call back to the handset after about 10 seconds. I read through the thread and I didn't see this problem addressed, so if anyone has had this happen, how did you resolve it?

TIA,

tlguy99
Old 01-30-2006, 05:52 PM
Racer

The current firmware version is ZA06. Whoever told you that you had the latest firmware is two updates behind. Seeking another SPCS store to update your phone might be to a good move on your part.

The phone does not support the HFL profile, but with the newer firmware updates it will work, although with a bug or two and somewhat reduced functionality. You can transfer, initiate and answer calls using the steering wheel button and voice commands, but the only way to disconnect is for you or the other party to manually end on the call from the phone.

You'll want to keep your call history clear or you may get phantom incoming call alerts that lock up both the HFL and your audio system until you reset them by turning the key off and back on again.

It's a little annoying, but at least it works (sort of). I've spoken to SPCS and Samsung tech supports about this; both insist that this issue is the other company's problem, and neither will admit to having any concern or intention of dealing with it any further. Bummer.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:00 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Thank you. What is the deal with sprint? The first store I went to said there are no updates for the phone at all. I then spoke to another representative becuase I know there have ben updates released. she confirmed that. I then went to another store, and the guy asked for my firmware version and he comfirmed it was the latest version. This is getting frustrating. Thanks again!!
Old 02-20-2006, 09:25 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Sprint just released a new update for the A900. The latest firmware is version ZB. On the info for the update it sadi that it was suppose to fix the phantom ringing issues, so hopefully this will solve most of our problems. I have had it for about a day now and no phantom rings.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:44 AM
Team Anthracite Member

HOLD OFF on this update!! About 30% of people are getting a White screen of death and they have to take their phone to a Sprint Store to get an older Firmware put on it.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:12 AM
Advanced

TLGUY99,
just wondering if the indicators are showing with the update you applied?
Old 02-21-2006, 02:46 PM
Team Anthracite Member

I haven't had any problems with it. It has worked perfectly for me. No phantom calls, no white screen. Lets hope it stays that way.

You still can not end calls from the steering wheel though.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:09 PM
Advanced

I can end calls using the steering wheel about 80% of the time. Sometimes i don't have to do a thing to end the call, as it terminates when the other person hangs up. However, my batt and sig str. indicators are missing. On one occasion my non navi screen just froze and i couldn't access anything like radio, cd, etc. until i restarted the car.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:46 AM
Intermediate

So far so good. No problems with WSOD. No phantom ringing either. i will try it out again today and post my results when i get home from work tonight. Wish me luck.

P.S.
This has got to be one of the top ten worst investments I have ever made. It ranks up there with the SEGA CD. Simply pathetic!
Old 02-22-2006, 02:07 PM
Cruisin'

Downloading the latest phone update...

Hi, just got my TL yesterday (bought a used 04 one with Navi). Tried to use my A900 yesterday and had the same issues you all described. I am downloading the latest Samsung firmware right now and will try it in the car again later this evening. Hope it works, will post results...

Btw, very impressed with the car. Were there any updates to the bluetooth software in the car since the 04's?
Old 02-22-2006, 04:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tobiash
Btw, very impressed with the car. Were there any updates to the bluetooth software in the car since the 04's?
Not that I've heard of. It's just the BT compatibility of the 900 is very poor. It has been getting better with their firmware updates. Hopefully they will get it right at some point.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:22 AM
10th Gear

I have never had anything but success w/ my A900. The latest update allows me to end calls, which is gravy. Great phone.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:31 AM
Cruisin'

Phone is working after latest update

After updating the phone with the latest firmware, everything works now except for I am getting phantom calls once in a while (looks like it's picking up numbers from the missed/incoming calls log. The hang-up button works fine. The display just reads "HandsFreeLink" -- no phone info is displayed.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:14 PM
Cruisin'

HFL froze - "in use" blocks entire audio system

Hi, I have done some research on this forum and found most people disconnected the battery as a short-term fix. I will call the dealer tomorrow. Not sure if anyone got this problem lately, and if there are any recommendations on how to deal with this issue. Should I request my dealer to replace the HFL unit? Did this fix the issue for some of you for good?
Old 03-03-2006, 01:09 PM
Instructor

I have never had anything but success w/ my A900. The latest update allows me to end calls, which is gravy. Great phone.

I did the more recent update and it still doesnt allow me to end calls. How do you get to do that? Is there something wrong with my HFL?
Old 03-03-2006, 01:57 PM
Forced Induction

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I dont think its the NFL unit, cause my Motorola V551 works perfectly, and my A900 is all crapy, with phantom calls, and the end button doesnt work, and I dont get phone info or signal stregth info.

I just use my motorola bluetooth headset for the a900, and the NFL with the v551.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:47 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by tobiash
Hi, I have done some research on this forum and found most people disconnected the battery as a short-term fix. I will call the dealer tomorrow. Not sure if anyone got this problem lately, and if there are any recommendations on how to deal with this issue. Should I request my dealer to replace the HFL unit? Did this fix the issue for some of you for good?
I went to my dealer and they ordered some parts that solved the issue for me, the HFL no longer locks up. It was all warranteed and took about 1 hour to do.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:07 AM
5th Gear

A900 Phone

Just to confirm. The Samsung A900 will work with TL HFL. I went to the Acura website and searched which phones were compatible and the A900 was not one of them. This is the only reason I am holding off on this phone.

Quick Reply: Sprint Samsung A900